PDA

View Full Version : cd single GOOD OR BAD ?

jon connor
06-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Now then here is 1 to sink ya teeth into i was buying some cd singles of all the old jerk releases from drizzly reasently. the thing is i would of recorded them to pc from vynyl as i have everthing ever outputted techno wise from drizzly but thought , well sod it , so i bought the lot , but they sell them as a cd single as you would buy a vynyl , the artwork is all there and all that but the best thing im happy about is that they will of course have the master wavs there for i will have these tracks in a fine quality.

wot i want to no is , is this the next stage now for digital labels ? or is there not much point in haveing the cd done with art work ?

i think it is a good idea because if we revert back to buying the cd as we would vynyl it would reduce the risk of labels loosing out from haveing there tracks file shared. and they look good also fairplay. nice to look at in ya cd wallet rather than a blank old cd with marker pen , also when you can see in picture wot you have bought you get a sense of pride well i do anyway.

check this link have a look tell me wot you think.

http://www.cdjshop.com/boredofascribblycdcollection.php?pagez=http://cdjshop.com/cart/home.php?cat=1484

The Overfiend
06-12-2008, 04:53 PM
I think it's a good idea it all comes down to cost man.

The_Laughing_Man
06-12-2008, 05:04 PM
CD is a dead duck.
Physical media in general is just not worth while for independants.

I looked into this when I decided vinyl was chekcing out of the game.

A) Manufacturing costs are pretty much the same as vinyl.
B) No one stocks or sells CD`s in any record shops, and those that are stocked, don`t sell very well unless they are big name mixes.
C) Digital distribution of WAVs, FLAC and mp3 is better for everyone.
The costs to the label can be put into production/mastering and promotion, instead of materials.
The store has no packaging, posting, or warehousing to deal with.
Also, distributers these days are so money concious they are beyond taking risks with more underground music that willpush the progression of the music as a whole.
So currently we have a situation where everyone is playing safe, treading water, worrying about sales, all to sell just 500-1000 records at most. The distributers are dictating too strongly what is releaed on physical media, and the progression of underground music, and techno in particular, has slowed right down.
The freedom of digital media will allow people to experiment again without worrying so much about risk, which in turn will allow the music to develope and change more quickly and remain more relevent in terms of the Zeitgeist.
Anyone, anywhere in the world can access whatever music they like without having to wait for snail mail or travel to their nearest decent supplier.
CD`s will not effect file ripping at all.
Ripping from a CD takes 1 minute on a decent CD rom drive, far quicker than ripping vinyl, and yet people still rip every single bit of vinyl released.
The buyer buys the file, which they can then back up to hard drive, Cd, DVD, and also, should they wish to use a CDJ for some reason, burn their own, easily replaceable copy.
this eliminated problems of theft and damage, as you always have the music backed up.

Personally I think it is nice to have something physical, but mostly, the younger generations just don`t give a damn.
I feel it is much better to flow with the river on this subject, rather than get left high and dry.

Mp3 is still fairly young, once the stores get better and less generic, and have a better quality control policy, online shopping will become easier, especially when it comes to sorting through all the trash.

RDR
06-12-2008, 10:26 PM
CD is a dead duck.
Physical media in general is just not worth while for independants.

I looked into this when I decided vinyl was chekcing out of the game.

A) Manufacturing costs are pretty much the same as vinyl.
B) No one stocks or sells CD`s in any record shops, and those that are stocked, don`t sell very well unless they are big name mixes.
C) Digital distribution of WAVs, FLAC and mp3 is better for everyone.
The costs to the label can be put into production/mastering and promotion, instead of materials.
The store has no packaging, posting, or warehousing to deal with.
Also, distributers these days are so money concious they are beyond taking risks with more underground music that willpush the progression of the music as a whole.
So currently we have a situation where everyone is playing safe, treading water, worrying about sales, all to sell just 500-1000 records at most. The distributers are dictating too strongly what is releaed on physical media, and the progression of underground music, and techno in particular, has slowed right down.
The freedom of digital media will allow people to experiment again without worrying so much about risk, which in turn will allow the music to develope and change more quickly and remain more relevent in terms of the Zeitgeist.
Anyone, anywhere in the world can access whatever music they like without having to wait for snail mail or travel to their nearest decent supplier.
CD`s will not effect file ripping at all.
Ripping from a CD takes 1 minute on a decent CD rom drive, far quicker than ripping vinyl, and yet people still rip every single bit of vinyl released.
The buyer buys the file, which they can then back up to hard drive, Cd, DVD, and also, should they wish to use a CDJ for some reason, burn their own, easily replaceable copy.
this eliminated problems of theft and damage, as you always have the music backed up.

Personally I think it is nice to have something physical, but mostly, the younger generations just don`t give a damn.
I feel it is much better to flow with the river on this subject, rather than get left high and dry.

Mp3 is still fairly young, once the stores get better and less generic, and have a better quality control policy, online shopping will become easier, especially when it comes to sorting through all the trash.

On the whole i would agree with that.. but can i point out something?

You said that label financing goes into promotional space rather than production costs.. does this shit the cost base rather than the attitude of the majors? And im not convinced that this changes much... generic stores use the rack spacing policy of old chool models that people like HMV used. Labels pay for promotional space in places like HMV, its not put on by the stores for no cost to label.

Bearing in mind the basic assumption that any markets narrows by larger stores buying bigger ones ( and we are not at the expansion stage of MP3 retaillers at the moment.. its still not taken off yet, but its getting there IMO) we will see an expansion then contraction. But still the big labels will get bigger by promotional activity.. will all that it implies for the rest of us.

And when the majors ACTUALLY get their teeth into it, there's gonna be pandemonium.

jon connor
08-12-2008, 01:44 PM
well ok i see where you two are comming from but listen mabey a cd single might be a bit to costly for sum people but here is wot i would like to recieve eventually if possible.

I am a techno collector so i dont mind paying an extra couple of quid for a nice cd with some artwork and case,

also mabey some of the guys might not want to release single cd so why not look at wot andreas and thomas have done on the 666 album release about 8 to10 unmixed tracks in wav format , i certainly wouldent mind paying for that either ,

and also i would like like to receive, as a happy customer the cd beeing a DATA and MUSIC cd reason beeing i would like the wav in a data file and also mp3 file , this would be great to store straight on 1 of my external hard drive`s and mp3 which can be moved staight onto my ipod or portable mp3 players.
( just saves messing about extracting etc )

i would be happy with that because as a customer im getting pretty much good value for my money happy days everyone is happy.

The_Laughing_Man
08-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Most distributers just aren`t interested in CD singles (what few there are left that is), and there simply isn`t a market for it.
Buy the downloads and burn your own CD`s

davethedrummer
09-12-2008, 12:24 AM
i bought a couple of cd singles off juno the other day by mistake!
a patterns one and and acidizer one
I was really pissed off when i realized they were cds!
and they were 4.49 each!
what a rip off!
they were in the 12" section jumbled up with all the vinyls
so watch out chaps you have been warned.

bloody stupid idea, cd singles aren't they?
i mean what's the point?
digital is digital right?
once it's digital then who f+cking cares what format it's in
download, cd , who gives a toss, really?
as long as it sounds ok.

gunjack
09-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Most distributers just aren`t interested in CD singles (what few there are left that is), and there simply isn`t a market for it.

http://www.juno.co.uk/techno/back-cat/cd/

yea you dunno what you are talking about.

gunjack
09-12-2008, 12:49 PM
and they were 4.49 each!
what a rip off!

i mean what's the point?
as long as it sounds ok.

well actually if you live in mexico or nigeria let's say... where there are 3 whole vinyl shops in the entire country, you would understand the demand for this product. most DJs here download and burn, so when folks take the time to buy a 5 dollar CD single from your distributor it means that these are people who are supporting you enough to not download and burn pirate, and are pushing your music in a place where your 12" would not have otherwise arrived!

gj

jon connor
09-12-2008, 01:44 PM

couple bits there i like jesus i never new of that page before , will av better look later.

jon connor
09-12-2008, 01:48 PM
well actually if you live in mexico or nigeria let's say... where there are 3 whole vinyl shops in the entire country, you would understand the demand for this product. most DJs here download and burn, so when folks take the time to buy a 5 dollar CD single from your distributor it means that these are people who are supporting you enough to not download and burn pirate, and are pushing your music in a place where your 12" would not have otherwise arrived!

gj

amazing well put mr gunjack is precisly my point , as a collector of techno aswell as an artist i dont mind paying an extra few quid for a cd single ya no, i feel ive got value for my money and as we all no a mastered wav is always going to be better sounding than a mp3.

jon connor
09-12-2008, 01:53 PM
and they were 4.49 each!
what a rip off!

i mean what's the point?
as long as it sounds ok.

ahhh now now henry , listen man i tell you if you released a single file hydraulix cd say with 10 tracks on or even a hydraulix single cd , which i would prob sell after you hav shifted all your units of vynyl, i would be 1 of those customers as would probably about 500 other chaps on this board.

so erm any chance of 1 for chrimbo ? heheheheheheh

davethedrummer
09-12-2008, 03:52 PM
ahhh now now henry , listen man i tell you if you released a single file hydraulix cd say with 10 tracks on or even a hydraulix single cd , which i would prob sell after you hav shifted all your units of vynyl, i would be 1 of those customers as would probably about 500 other chaps on this board.

so erm any chance of 1 for chrimbo ? heheheheheheh

nonsense

sod them thats what i say
tell them to get a couple of tin cans and an oil drum and bang out the tracks themselves
that'll save a few quid
and save me the trouble

grrrrrrrr!

jon connor
09-12-2008, 05:18 PM
heheheheh ok then mr drummer , obviously not everyones cup of tea but hey just wanted to say like, i would be willing to pay for a single wav cd . mabey its a waste of time mabey its not just somtimes its nice to have the choice ya no man.

However i will state a fact i should of stated before @ the moment im more interested in back cat in this format especially stuff i collect, like the jerk , consruct rhythem etc from drizzly which they have put a few up recently so other labels for instance i would love to look at in the future in this format would be stuff form lets say , glen wilsons punish/ stuff like compound deffinatly your stuff hydraulix etc man there its a few that are just collectable .

stjohn
09-12-2008, 05:29 PM
spelling is : maybe..

carry on ;)

jon connor
09-12-2008, 05:46 PM
very dislexic , mate sorry man im going round the bend , its getting worse as i get older hahaha , to much magic me thinks in them early years hahhah

The_Laughing_Man
09-12-2008, 06:56 PM

Yeah that`s a huge share of the market right now.

Can you just see those CD sales rising up like a mountain.

Cd is not the replacement for vinyl.

Those days ended somewhere in the 90`s, LAST CENTURY

No one is disputing that physical media is more pleasant for those of us old enough to care about it.
But the kids don`t care, and pretty soon there won`t be any ditributers left to carry any physical product, let alone all of a sudden deciding to plump for CD as their saviour.

gunjack
09-12-2008, 08:49 PM
i never said it was a huge market but it is still a valid format for many people in the world so why be "snobbish" about it? if it gets your music to more people go for it i say

stjohn
09-12-2008, 09:12 PM
very dislexic , mate sorry man im going round the bend , its getting worse as i get older hahaha , to much magic me thinks in them early years hahhah

no need for apologies :lol:....
it should be me saying sorry... my mates used to call me Corrector!

The_Laughing_Man
09-12-2008, 09:15 PM
There`s no snobbery, but who buys CD singles here?
Put your hands up?
How many people does everyone knows who buys CD?

The best trend to follow is the mainstream really.
Merchanidising

Most mid-level bands and acts in the mainstream area get a lot of their income now from merchandise rather than store sales of CD`s.

T-Shirts, CD`s blah blah, at point of gig.

For CD I think the best way to use them is to get a mix (almost a redundant commodity in terms of paying for them, but hey), or album of your tunes pressed up, and sell them at your gigs.

With manufacturing coming to about £1 - £1.50 a pop for a nice CD, you can sell em at a gig for a fiver.
A bargain for a full length CD.

That way the punter gets it cheap, and the artist gets more money percentage for their art, rather than the distributer and the store sucking up all the cash.

If everybody did this, we`d all benefit, and the scene would have just a little more strength to carry itself.

stjohn
09-12-2008, 09:19 PM
no.. ive always hated cds...
they dont last... most cd players are pretty bad too.

jon connor
10-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Yeah that`s a huge share of the market right now.

Can you just see those CD sales rising up like a mountain.

Cd is not the replacement for vinyl.

Those days ended somewhere in the 90`s, LAST CENTURY

No one is disputing that physical media is more pleasant for those of us old enough to care about it.
But the kids don`t care, and pretty soon there won`t be any ditributers left to carry any physical product, let alone all of a sudden deciding to plump for CD as their saviour.

dont want it to replace vynyl mate like i said to henry i would and i am thinking of doing this with my new label next year which will be vynyl, 2 months after release mp3 will go up and then i will look at backing up with a small amount of single cds , test the waters a bit.

jon connor
10-12-2008, 01:44 PM
i never said it was a huge market but it is still a valid format for many people in the world so why be "snobbish" about it? if it gets your music to more people go for it i say

yes thankyou.

jon connor
10-12-2008, 01:46 PM
no need for apologies :lol:....
it should be me saying sorry... my mates used to call me Corrector!

wot av you been at the magic aswell hehehehe no worrys man.

jon connor
10-12-2008, 01:51 PM
There`s no snobbery, but who buys CD singles here?
Put your hands up?
How many people does everyone knows who buys CD?

The best trend to follow is the mainstream really.
Merchanidising

Most mid-level bands and acts in the mainstream area get a lot of their income now from merchandise rather than store sales of CD`s.

T-Shirts, CD`s blah blah, at point of gig.

For CD I think the best way to use them is to get a mix (almost a redundant commodity in terms of paying for them, but hey), or album of your tunes pressed up, and sell them at your gigs.

With manufacturing coming to about £1 - £1.50 a pop for a nice CD, you can sell em at a gig for a fiver.
A bargain for a full length CD.

That way the punter gets it cheap, and the artist gets more money percentage for their art, rather than the distributer and the store sucking up all the cash.

If everybody did this, we`d all benefit, and the scene would have just a little more strength to carry itself.

see wot you are saying mate but listen cd jay are everywhere now you cant get away kids will buy the cds because like everything else they want them because they look good. And mr gunjack up there has a very valid point

"valid format for many people in the world , if it gets your music to more people go for it i say go for it "

jon connor
10-12-2008, 02:01 PM
http://www.wewow.co.uk/wowgallery.asp

waiting for quote will see wot comes back ive asked for a quote on 100 for now.

dirty_bass
13-12-2008, 12:09 AM
If you really want CD`s, you can go here
http://www.cdjshop.com/boredofascribblycdcollection.php?pagez=http://www.cdjshop.com/cart/product.php?productid=157347
apparently they releases digital stuff on CD, didn`t even know my stuff was stocked by them,let alone on CD.

So there you go.

jon connor
13-12-2008, 12:27 AM
If you really want CD`s, you can go here
http://www.cdjshop.com/boredofascribblycdcollection.php?pagez=http://www.cdjshop.com/cart/product.php?productid=157347
apparently they releases digital stuff on CD, didn`t even know my stuff was stocked by them,let alone on CD.

So there you go.

JESUS HOPE YOU BEEING PAID CORRECTLY HAHAH
shit im shouting again sorry steve bit drunk here phew , think ive blown is head off with avents apocalypto set hahahahah,IM ONLY HERE COZ ME MATE IS KNOKED THE FUK OUT AN IM BORED SPEAK TOMMOROW DUDE.

Wish i was in london lot going on this weeken aye fairplay .

the_psychologist
13-12-2008, 04:40 AM
I would gladly pay $20 for a CD of 10 quality tunes from older labels, esp classic Acid. Say 23 Frankfurt went back to the masters and chose 10 quality tracks. I'd be on it. But there have been many unmixed compilation CDs already, and some of them either have shite mastering and/or were recorded from vinyl sources. They would need to be of pristine quality, maybe even remastered to sound better than ever. Singles of current tunes will not sell many units, methinks. May as well sell digital files and include high quality images of the artwork. Then people who want CDs can burn them and print out covers, and everyone else can use them as-is.

jon connor
13-12-2008, 03:19 PM
I would gladly pay $20 for a CD of 10 quality tunes from older labels, esp classic Acid. Say 23 Frankfurt went back to the masters and chose 10 quality tracks. I'd be on it. But there have been many unmixed compilation CDs already, and some of them either have shite mastering and/or were recorded from vinyl sources. They would need to be of pristine quality, maybe even remastered to sound better than ever. Singles of current tunes will not sell many units, methinks. May as well sell digital files and include high quality images of the artwork. Then people who want CDs can burn them and print out covers, and everyone else can use them as-is.

nice angle man like it see wot you saying about old stuff im on this to would love it.

gunjack
13-12-2008, 03:51 PM
i will make CD compilations of deafmosaic "classics" like "consume or be consumed" REMASTERED AND HUGE SOUNDING via my myspace/paypal next year.

jon connor
14-12-2008, 03:00 PM
i will make CD compilations of deafmosaic "classics" like "consume or be consumed" REMASTERED AND HUGE SOUNDING via my myspace/paypal next year.

nice 1 man i will buy the gunjack classiscs mate they sum cool stuff there that quite frankly my vynyl is a bit overplayed an worn out, so a fresh wav version will be much apreciated mr gunjak, coz somtimes i buy a new record or mp3 wotever and instantly a track will come into my head to mix with it it could be 10 years old or 1 year old or bran new wotever, its nice to have a clean copy of a fav track you used to cain the ass outta,.

jon connor
14-12-2008, 03:04 PM
ive decided to do this with my new label KONOFLEX im into it, @ the end of the day if you have a choice WAV mp3 u gunna go wav everytime .

gunjack
15-12-2008, 03:25 AM
nice1 jon.

jon connor
15-12-2008, 03:03 PM
yea hey gunjack do you remember that release which they made a mistake with the print and there was another producer who made a track with that really heavy amazing kick an base, god damm will have to dig it out wait , ahhhh GARRET DILLON i think i want that ep on cd single so much i would pay you double the price for it. me and that track have got serious history, ive droped that @ i my best and most memerable dj performances in the last years ive a speacial mix with it , not played for a while now tho, so wotts up with that guy any new stuff ?

jon connor
15-12-2008, 03:10 PM
on topic tho listen guys get with the programm i love vynyl love it, also i dont mind mp3 in high quality format if i really want a tune i cant get , but however , how many kids now own cdj`s ? thousounds thats how many, and like everything else you want when you are young you want somthing that looks good, if you market and promote your cd in the right way , you gunna sale a lot more than the 500 press vynyl you got and still make you 2 pounds profit per unit. (they sell on average @ 5 pounds per disk. enough for distro and your self to make same profit a vynyl)

only the other day i went round sum up comming lads house the other day, who i help out with advice etc , theres about 4 of them, you no wot i saw ? i will tell you a cd wallet from all 4 of them with mostly cd singles from juno dj preach etc, there you go proof! that was the point i got it and decided to release my next project in that format.

here is 4 guys been mix for about a year or 2 and wot the buying to go with there new cdj 1000 etc cds that look good .

gunjack
15-12-2008, 06:15 PM
jon: http://www.myspace.com/garrettdillon

jon connor
16-12-2008, 02:34 AM
cheers mate will hit him up god dam that release he was legendary man will be waiting for the cd press and i will gladly be willing to pay for it , as some other your great releases man respect.

RDR
16-12-2008, 08:25 AM
I think one of the points that's been kinda of hit on here but missed is that the CD, just like Vinyl was a primary format of delivery to the listener for a long time, they both (in their hayday) have been the most convenient way for people to buy and play CDs. Therefore people had the hardware to play their purchases on.

Vinyl players are now not cheaply available to the public anymore as CD players took over this mantle, and even though you can play a CD on almost anything, DVD player, Car stereo etc etc it doesnt really matter anymore. With CD the format was driven by the appearance of the format, the hardware to play followed. The same can partly be said to be true of MP3 (by MP3 i mean a lot of different digital playback formats) players appear offering greater convenience and better features than a CD player for the same cost and the consumer votes with their wallets by purchasing these players.

So what happens to CDs? IMO they become a promotional add-on for labels, after all what do they offer above and beyond MP3/MP3 players? better artwork? a permanence? for the most part yes... but i feel that its still a mental attitude that has its roots within the need to have a solid object in your hand that you paid money for. It feels more like you bought something rather than bought nothing. It hits right at the heart of the argument that music is intrinsically worth nothing. Think about it, if a person buys an MP3 and then burns it to CD, does it make the CD worth something or add on value to the MP3 file they bought? No... and No.

If they put it in their iPod.. does it make the mp3 worth more? probably not. But its the choice of the consumer, and their purchase choice for the playback of the mp3 certainly means more to them than it did before. No-one cares what's in your MP3 collection, but looky! at my! brand! new! mp3! player!

John lennon once said "People would like to put their favourite tunes onto one album from beatles songs, but it would cause trouble." (not an exact quote forgive me, but its near enough)

CD singles suffer far more from albums when it comes to production costs, making a CD single properly costs pretty much the same as an ablum (i think, prove me wrong people ) but the value of the content is diminshed, why do we think most of the majors used to put remixes on there?)

Just my 2p worth. I dont think CD is a bad format, i like it, i like things with nice pictures on and i only own a 2gb ipod. Mostly i listen to the radio. now that IS a 21st C classic ;)

jon connor
16-12-2008, 08:56 AM
mate i just said before 4 guys in my town buying them is 4000 worldwide promote your single correctly its gunna get sold dont wanna put a dampner onit but its fact ive seen it for myself, kids upcoming anyone who is just starting out wants to have a track ep that when its in there cd wallet are satisfied they have the correct format WORD BUZZ FACTOR fuk this mp3 shite if your a dj buy your tracks in the correct format up to date an be proud.

wen you people gunna realise cdjs are the new turntables whether we like it or not, so why not graspe this new market with forget your mp3 bollox download an release a god cd single an get the rewards u deserve. and also mp3 a about 2 months after your cd release ahh i dunno its just a progression in my eyes .

jon connor
16-12-2008, 09:12 AM
wen you people gunna realise cdjs are the new turntables whether we like it or not, so why not graspe this new market with forget your mp3 bollox download an release a god dam cd single an get the rewards u deserve. and also mp3 a about 2 months after your cd release ahh i dunno its just a progression in my eyes .

we supposed to be techno the furure oh well the future is now cumon WAKE UP AN SMELL DA COFFEE

ok mp3 was the start because its fresh oh my god i can get tracks instantly bollox i want an ep if i cant have vynyl i want a cd with my fav label artist wotever its the future of distro an u no it u just aint realised it yet.
if u wanna get up to date with 2009 people the do wot im telling ya.

why sell out and put your tracks out for pennys aye ? there is enough people who pay for your good work outta respect ok 1 word TECHNO future god damm techno cummon

jon connor
16-12-2008, 09:25 AM
STOP giving your tracks out willy nilly u lot are only relaxing with the easy, so listen make your cd single ep like it used to be with vynyl , going to the record shop and getting somthing you no your mates dont av WOW FACTOR vynyl aint gunna be around forever as much as i love it so i see this idea as the new vynyl bollox to mp3 its only the start of digital to easy and taken away your love of going to a record shop and gettin somthing RARE bring that back through this format and stop making it to easy THAT IF YOU ARE TECHNO GROW SUM BOLLOX GET WITH THE PROGRAMM mp3 is the be end all because you are lettin it.

RDR
16-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Calm down jon... jeeeeeeez.

I understand what you are saying jon, i just dont agree with most of what you say.

gunjack
16-12-2008, 12:04 PM
http://www.fransvaneeckhout.be/nieuws/images/CDJ1000MK3b.jpg

has anybody seen what dj shadow does with these things on the on time and in tune dvd? SICK

RDR
16-12-2008, 12:14 PM
No doubt those babies are a wicked bit of kit. I've used them extensively as have loads of people.

One thought occurs, i wonder how global warming will affect CDs? When materials are in short supply.

gunjack
16-12-2008, 01:44 PM
yea CD is a shitty, delicate, fosil based medium that is on the way out, but those babies (the pioneers)have some dope features... and not everybody is using digital flash drives etc yet so why not enjoy it while it lasts

jon connor
16-12-2008, 03:08 PM
hhahahhah phew went a bit ment up there sory rdr man phewww hahahah peace, na just a thought for guys out there for new boundries to break yea man, kids younlings god dam jedis upcoming new formats of ep release , mp3 should stay on an ipod hahahahah wav format ep cd single , wots left when vynyl has finally discontinued, is techno not preshious enough to do that ? or you wanna slack out wit the mp3 lazy ass way shiffting your tracks, alls i wanna say is take pride in your work init mate. still love vynyl tho im hangin on like the rest you guys, i would buy the vynyl over the cd anyday its just future terms im thinking dude.

jon connor
16-12-2008, 04:59 PM
yea CD is a shitty, delicate, fosil based medium that is on the way out, but those babies (the pioneers)have some dope features... and not everybody is using digital flash drives etc yet so why not enjoy it while it lasts

exactly dj tools not ipod tools and also lets not forget the distrubuters out there who have my maximum respect isint this a way to keep them in buisness ? future long term i mean before we see the end of vynyl.

distro deserve maximum respect an i think people should be looking for ways to keep them in bisiness not kill them when vynyl is dusted after all they are the guys who put your work to the world DONT SHIT ON THEM they are the people who keep the techno ball rollin.

RDR
16-12-2008, 05:08 PM
distro deserve maximum respect an i think people should be looking for ways to keep them in bisiness not kill them when vynyl is dusted after all they are the guys who put your work to the world DONT SHIT ON THEM they are the people who keep the techno ball rollin.

Im sorry jon, dont wanna rile you again chief, but having spoken to 4 or 5 major techno artists who would say exactly the opposite of that. 2 of them having lost upwards of 20,000 plus because of distributor mis-management. the stranglehold distros had on all dance music is really well documented - i would agree with you 100% if these distros had tried their very very best and worked for the interest of the artists. But they didnt. and its still going on today.

EDIT: perhaps im being a little negative here, im sure there are distros out there who on top of making money also want to push good music, music they love and feel part of.

jon connor
16-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Im sorry jon, dont wanna rile you again chief, but having spoken to 4 or 5 major techno artists who would say exactly the opposite of that. 2 of them having lost upwards of 20,000 plus because of distributor mis-management. the stranglehold distros had on all dance music is really well documented - i would agree with you 100% if these distros had tried their very very best and worked for the interest of the artists. But they didnt. and its still going on today.

EDIT: perhaps im being a little negative here, im sure there are distros out there who on top of making money also want to push good music, music they love and feel part of.

yes i no my good friend kay d smith had a similar problem its a shitty dooo! but that doesent mean they all bad man take pat hurley for example elektronik the guys a legend and there are others so look after the good i say.

but i do no wot you mean the stuff that has hapend to my good buddy makes my blood boil......... but through all the bollox there are sum who actually give a shit just like pat .

gunjack
16-12-2008, 08:31 PM
the good ones last, the greedy go the way of jel ford and tony vierra chingen a su madre

clubsynthetic
17-12-2008, 11:01 AM
to cd or not to cd? that is the question...

jon connor
17-12-2008, 04:11 PM
well when we av no vynyl to spin in the future , i would prefer a cd, im not really into the idea of the flash disk plugged straight into cdj, which we all no is comming next.

so for me man its a yes to cd.

buy the way my 666 cd arrived this morning 23 single wav tracks by 2 of my fav artist andreas kramer an thomas pogadl, do you no how much i paid £11.00 plus £1.50 post " HOW HAPPY AM I " Im bloddy exstactic hahahaha happy days with tracks like those you certainly need the wav for maximum output on the system.

the_psychologist
17-12-2008, 11:31 PM
I fail to see how (from a usability standpoint) plugging a USB key into a deck is any worse than sliding a CD in. Dance music is made on computers and it has never seemed logical to dither it down and release it on a medium like CD. For me, the interface is the important part - I prefer a platter of some sort to adjust mixes (though I have often used a keyboard with Traktor, manually beatmatching everything using arrow keys. piece of piss.).

I will always miss the packaging of dance music, but this day and age calls for less waste, not more. Let's strip it right down to a high quality FLAC file and sell direct to the people.

With digital files, you get clarity beyond vinyl and even CD. What intrigues me is that labels like SUF are still holding out on the vinyl front. I appreciate that they are hardcore vinyl supporters, but it seems like the UK underground has struggled for years with pressing and distro. I wish they would start selling proper digital files and maybe make their lives a bit easier.

Oops, went off a tangent there.

jon connor
18-12-2008, 12:15 AM
yea good point mabey its just me i like thing to be round hahahhaha na i love vynyl man love it and untill i cant buy it no more i will continue to use it.

just for now wilst cdj are used intensly mabey releasing some cd singles could be an advantage ?

they seem to sale a fare few on that juno and stuff........ i dunno im all confused now . i will try this next year until the flash thing comes along.

278d7e64a374de26f==