PDA

View Full Version : kicks with different volumes?

tracatak
11-12-2008, 11:19 PM
has anyone heard of making every other kick a slighty higher or lower volume to increase the chances of creating the chugging sound in schranz?

(i.e.)

K! - - - k - - - K! - - - k - - -

(capital K! is different volume then lowercase k)

1st and 3rd are same volume as each other
2nd and 4th are same volume as each other but different then 1 n 3

this make sense? does any1 do this..or every1/..esp with other percussion?

any feedback on this would be very helpful

thanks..

The_Laughing_Man
11-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Yes, heard of it in many different sub grenres of techno.

I like the effect.

Experimentation is healthy.

stjohn
11-12-2008, 11:31 PM
its big in broken beat stuff.

] - - ! - - !- ] - - ! - - !-

RDR
12-12-2008, 08:33 AM
Its the implimentation of dynamic tension.

But there are other ways in which the kick sounds different, the human ear will naturally hear differing kick loudnesses even when there are none.

DannyBlack
12-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Exactly, all the elements of a track effect each other to the extent that you start to hear little patterns and volumes.

Jay Pace
12-12-2008, 10:17 PM
I do it a lot
Its a way of managing transients
So if you have a big snare on beat 3, lower your kick to accommodate
And I like having a big kick with a long release on the first beat, gives a sort of pulse to the bar

BOOOOM BOM bom BOM BOOOOM BOM bom BOM

and suchlike

tracatak
12-12-2008, 10:26 PM
excellent ..thanks every1

tracatak
12-12-2008, 10:31 PM
a friend mentioned velocity. anyone know how to do this in cubase? and why it may have a similar effect?

rhythmtech
12-12-2008, 10:39 PM
theres a velocity lane at the bottom of your piano roll editor. this will give you the effect that you're after.

Izz
13-12-2008, 09:02 AM
good thread tracatak, ive been meaning to ask about this but wasnt sure how to describe it and if it was just a side effect of the production. cheers!

RDR
13-12-2008, 09:06 AM
theres a velocity lane at the bottom of your piano roll editor. this will give you the effect that you're after.

Just to add to this, cubase also lets you use the Line tool to create build-ups, in addition to this the curve and parabolic tools will let you create rhythmic patterns in the velocity (or any automation lane) data. This is governed by the global quantizatrion setting.

Experiement!

If you are using cubase you can also use the inspection window to create randomisations in velocity to give a move human feel to your parts.

BloodStar
13-12-2008, 12:16 PM
as already mentioned,. changing velocity on the sounds can give it nice flow and dynamics. you can have nice human natural feeling when changing the velocity as the track goes. tonal balance of the sounds is slightly changing, even you have got still the same sounds playing...

RDR
13-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Another bit about velocity here... remember with most synths or samplers it is possible to use velocity to affect the cut off or sample start time or end time or a whole host of other things, this can make recorded parts such as hi-hats much more vibrant and realistic.

geigercounter120
16-12-2008, 01:56 PM
breakbeat&drumandbass producers use this a lot.

it's generally referred to as 'ghost hits'; they#re the little drum 'taps' (as opposed to the big 'smacks') that generally appear just before/after the main hits

mindgame
20-12-2008, 05:22 PM
jay...i hear this effect you are talking about in alot of the tracks you spin...
i would play with it in reasons REDRUM...i dont know if you are using reason..
but it has whats called a DYNAMIC setting htat allows you to make each kick a lil harder or softer..so you get that up and down jacky kick...theres 3 settings you can use from low to high..

are you using a hardware sequencer? some of them have this option as well...i belive the tr-909 does..so you can make the kicks harder and lower...i belive for the 909 its refered to as ACCENTING...play with howies next time your there..

i dotn think my rm1x does though..which sucks..

when i was using it in reason i would usually layer my kicks..even if the same exact pattern and then add the extraaccent at various levels..really gave it that jacky breakbeat drive..better then just boom boom boom...

The_Laughing_Man
22-12-2008, 12:18 PM
generally the accent button on stuff is just a velocity feature that sets the velocity to 127

most of the time anyway

ORIS
22-12-2008, 07:18 PM
I love messing about with different kick volumes, gives a track a totally different feel!

Experimentation FTW!

acidsaturation
06-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Mindgame -
Use the groove thingy (can't remember what it's called) on the RM1-x to do it - it is just increasing the velocity on certain steps. I do it when writing lines for the freebass - use the velocity to put in accents, and the gate time to lengthen certain steps to overlap notes to get a slide.

278d7e64a374de26f==