PDA

View Full Version : RM!x users///need help

mindgame
20-12-2008, 05:08 PM
right now i have the rmix going to cubase...and through cubase into reason..

i set internally on the rm1x each midi channel to its own track..(I ALSO SHUT OFF THE "TO TG" OPTION AS IM NOT USING THE INTERNAL SOUNDS) midi channel 1 to track 1...channel 2 to track 2 and so on..

in cubase on track one i have the input set to midi channel 1only FROM the rm1x..it works fine..it sends teh signal to reason..i get sound and can record midi in cubase..

now on cubase track 2 i have it set to midi channel 2 coming in from the rm1x..and i have cubase channel 2 output set to the 2nd redrum in reason..

now on the rm1x. i will make a patern on track 1 which should import to cubase on midi channel 1 only...which it does

then on the rm1x on track 2 i make a different pattern on track 2/channel 2 and it should send out via midi channel 2 only.

but for some reason cubase is reading both channel 1 and channel 2 on both track 1 and 2..making it a train wreck mess..it does not seem to be seperating the channels to its assigned track...

so i have cubase track 1/midi channel 1 going to reasons redrum 1 and i get the pattern i set..
and ill use a 2nd redrum in reason for cubase's channel 2(and i made sure i set cubase track 2 output to redrum 2) but both of the cubase channels (1 and 2) are overlapping and triggering the same redrum in reason..

its not seperating the channels and tracks even though i have them assigned properly..

what am i missing?

i dont know if you can assign midi channels in reason..but being i have cubase outputs assigned to reasons instruments correctly i shouldnt have to make any midi changes in reason...

i think the problem seems to be that for some reason teh midi channels are not seperating when coming out of the rm1x and going to cubase..though from what i know everything is set correctly..

any experianced rm1x users who know a setting or something i am missing..
setting the rm1x midi outputs seems to be pretty simple..

mindgame
20-12-2008, 05:31 PM
also...if anyone has any useful links to any good tutorials IN ENGLISH please post...everything that seems to be decent is in german..sigh

mindgame
20-12-2008, 07:18 PM
im sorry..i cant seem to find the edit button,,,

something else i wanted to add..which may be part of the problem..
is with the redrum,,,eacg slot/area per sound is attached to a note..i believe its usually middle c? like most drum machines...

if i am on track 2..using the 2nd redrum...the first slot is also going to be assigned to the middle C key like the first redrum opnened above it..
so i have to assign my rm1x track 2 to the middle C key to trigger the sound i load into redrum...so im using the same notes on both tracks...but with diff sounds assigned to each redrum..

being each track on the rm1x is assigned to a diff midi channel..should this not seperate the midi going to each C note @ each redrum?

or is the fact that im using the middle C for each track the reason i seem to be getting the overlay of both tracks onto the same sound?

from what i am aware, i have no choice but to start with the middle C key because you cannot change the starting/route key in reason..

i really hope this makes sense...
i even tried using a vst drum machine in cubase instead of reason but i seem to be having the same prob

RDR
20-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Your problem isnt reason.

its a problem in cubase. I have never had this problem, nor can i replicate it as i dont have the equipment.

Look at the inspector window in cubase for MIDI channel 2. is it set to [All MIDI inputs] or specifically set to a physical input.

Also, what sort of MIDI interface are you using? What platform? Which version of cubase?

mindgame
20-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Your problem isnt reason.

its a problem in cubase. I have never had this problem, nor can i replicate it as i dont have the equipment.

Look at the inspector window in cubase for MIDI channel 2. is it set to [All MIDI inputs] or specifically set to a physical input.

Also, what sort of MIDI interface are you using? What platform? Which version of cubase?

yeah..i didnt think it was reason..

in the inspector window for mid chan 2 it IS set to ALL midi inputs...there is no option for a specific midi channel..the only other options i have is "not connected" and"my sound card"

im running midi out of the RM to my soundcard midi input..i have an ALESIS DIRECT PRO 24/96 (they dont make em anymore)

it is CUBASE SX 2.2

you would think there would be an option for each midi channel 1-16 under the input inspector but nope...

i thought that the ALL MIDI INPUT selection might be the prob, but being the RM1x has its internal midi settings so its only 1 midi channel per track i thought they would not overlap...

mindgame
20-12-2008, 09:37 PM
also to add/ask...i dont know if im wasting my time with teh way im setting it up now...
im only using reason because it has a bunch of decent effects and units in it...

i also tried using battery as a VST directly in cubase..but as far as doing a live pa battery seems to make it harder..

im supposed to get my hands on a copy og logic and LIVE for my mac and then switch over to my mac..

do you think i would just be better waiting for that then straining my brain this way? id like to do a live pa ...and the RM1x is supposed to be great for em and i hear works well with live..

im not sure how live works...if you load the samples into live direct like a sampler..if it has effects like vsts...

opinion? if you have one.

RDR
20-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Well, its hard to pin down your problem not being there. My best guess is that either cubase is sending all midi data it recieves on ALL midi channels to MIDI channel 2 ..

have you tried the other midi channels? what happens with midi chn 3?

is there a MIDI routing preference panel on the ALESIS?

I really do think this is a cubase issue.

Im a live and logic user, live is extremely good at handling MIDI channels for live performance. I have owned two RM1X boxes and have a lot of respect for the MIDI timing on them. real tight.

It might be better to try ableton live out in demo mode before you go buying it, just to see what happens.

Reason is capable of running as a slave using MIDIclock have you tried that.

mindgame
20-12-2008, 11:09 PM
i agree and think its a cubase thing...
my sound card master control is very imited..not much regarding midi routing..
for some reason i also think it has to do with the fact that im using the same
keys/chords? (c1 c#) for each track..but i kinda have to because thats what is auto assigned to each section of the redrum..you cant seem to change the root key in redrum...

say im using c1 as the root key on track one for the first redrum...
then i open another redrum for track 2...but the 2nd redrum also starts with the root key of c1..and i have to start with c1 on track 2 as well as track 1..
for some reason i think this is causing both track 1 and 2 to trigger anything that has the root ke of c1..

ive been reading reasons not the best for live...
i was hoping maybe battery but that seems to be a pain in the ass..plus i dont have any effects to use with it if i use battery stand alone..

maybe ill just wait until i get a copy of LIVE...

RDR
21-12-2008, 11:43 PM
I have to be honest here. Im struggling to understand what you mean.

In the nicest possible way because i dontknow if its me or you who is having trouble.

i kinda know what you mean, but without seeing it im not sure.

can you take screen shots and post them?

278d7e64a374de26f==