PDA

View Full Version : Another day Another Rip off.

davethedrummer
23-12-2008, 11:33 PM
If you want to know what happened to me in australia in november
check this out.

http://blogs.inthemix.com.au/davethedrummer

GRRRRRRRR!

Athar
23-12-2008, 11:54 PM
bastards!!!

im sorry to hear that h
and i absolutely agreed,
guys like "Spiro" should go to the jail for something like that, no doubts
heh ...

DannyBlack
24-12-2008, 12:09 AM
bloody hell. Shit, Henry I'm really gutted to hear you got treated like that. 1 thing mate, make sure you keep the emails sent to you saved.

Bad form though man, really bad form.

tonyc2002
24-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Thats not exactly pennies is it......I'd be proper pissed too.

RitchieP
24-12-2008, 12:22 AM
shouldnt have travelled without a deposit tbh

rhythmtech
24-12-2008, 12:38 AM
wow.. speechless.

DirtyHard
24-12-2008, 05:33 AM
check this out.

GRRRRRRRR!

MATE i hope 2009 brings you more luck with promoters
ass 2008 doesnt seem to be the luckiest

RDR
24-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Not been your year has it H, thats payment **** up number 2.

My advice? : KILL KILL KILL!

teknofilth
24-12-2008, 10:01 AM
seems like with the mp3 ripping "why should I pay for music" culture continuing, making artists rely more and more on live performances rather than revenue from their tunes to pay their way, wanker promoters like this ripping artists off needs to be addressed more urgently..is there some sort of union equivalent of Equity for actors that exists for DJs/performers? If there isn't..maybe there should be..perhaps rip-off promoters will be less likely to try this sort of thing on if they know that the Djs have access to some sort of shared fund that can be dipped into to use for legal fees to try and get back some of the money for things like this..

Smear
24-12-2008, 11:33 AM
'I’ve been instructed by my lawyers that I have to cease trading in the interim

which includes all payments to creditors until litigation commences against various internet based sites that slandered my company and caused financial loss.'

Surely he means Libel and not Slander?

BloodStar
24-12-2008, 12:48 PM
¨the Spiro guy is sick. sorry to hear this, man.

gunjack
24-12-2008, 12:49 PM
you still got a scan of his credit card? do your xmas shopping with it. gotta get paid one way or the other right? what can he do about it?

Smear
24-12-2008, 12:51 PM
That is actually a very good idea, haha.

gunjack
24-12-2008, 01:03 PM
seriously you had an agreement, verbal and written (albeit informally)... this **** can't just "decide" to cancel payment. your services were rendedered. F U C K him if he wasn't weasely enough to think about the paper trail. should have thought of that before he promised a fee he couldn't deliver.

you go to a hotel and clean out the mini bar what happens? they charge it to your credit card. same damned thing.

DannyBlack
24-12-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm not sure I would be able to tame this temper mine in that situation. I would have ended him there and then. It aint right and it aint fair. He took H away from his family and messed him around. That to me is absolutely disgusting.

fils_here
24-12-2008, 02:53 PM
aw man, that spiro sounds a right cvnt!! hope you have some better luck in 2009 hery.

dan the acid man
24-12-2008, 03:31 PM
People like that don't care one inch for the artists or the music, they're just out to make as much money as they can, without actually having any business sense what so ever.

They tempt artists in with promises of decent fees, then realise they can't afford the ammounts promised, and instead of being honest about it all, they just run off and hide without a care in the world.

davethedrummer
26-12-2008, 06:45 PM
well like i said I had played for this guy before plenty of times
but i was very worried about the money BEFORE i went and very nearly didn't go.
but in the end I couldn't afford to just sit at home
I need that money it's the mortgage , the leccy bill etc etc ....
I CAN'T just sit at home just to prove a point, and i figured that maybe my show of solidarity might help once i got there.

It's very different to the Creamfields thing earlier on.
there was no worry about that, not until I got home and realized that they hadn't paid and weren't about to either.

So It's just so hard to play this game of russian roulette with promoters
sure you can say "you shouldn't have left the house without a deposit"

but put yourself in my shoes for a minute and you'll see why I did.
and i DID get something. so i did the right thing

And the credit card thing?
yeah but, come on, Fraud ? Seriously ?
I think I'll come off worse If I was to do it and get caught, don't you?

It's just crap isn't it?
However Spiro has had his beating so I have just discovered
and Peter has contacted me offering to " negotiate "
no apology, nothing humble like that, just saying he'll call me tonight
ON BOXING DAY!!!!LIKE I REALLY WANT TO SPEAK TO HIM ON MY DAY OFF!
he can piss right off!

GRRRRRRRR

Tiptoe
26-12-2008, 08:18 PM
thats bull shit mate! hope everything works out mate.

dan the acid man
26-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Yeah i can fully understand why you still decided to go out there, like you say, you can't live off your record releases alone in this current market, so any offer of putting food on the table has to be jumped on at the minute.

Hope you can get a bit more out of them anyway.

DannyBlack
27-12-2008, 09:41 AM
However Spiro has had his beating so I have just discovered

He get an actual beat down or has his promoter pedestal been kicked from under him?

Either way, one way or another I hope you get the money you were promised mate. F*ckers drive me mad.

electoad
27-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Spiro is known in melbourne and bush party circles as being a dodgy ****er. I'd advise anyone who isnt willing to do battle with his drug addled haggling skills to stay well out of his way...

machina
27-12-2008, 10:34 AM
He is far and away the worst cunt out here... a stupid, wannabe-violent lil man. And he's been that way for years... he owes me cash from 97 and i'm one of the few smart enough to not have anything to do with him... he's a ****stain. and not indicative at all of the promoters over here...

btw Henry - i'm yo - dan's house/studio mate... hope you a had a great xmas regardless...

DannyBlack
27-12-2008, 11:30 AM
and not indicative at all of the promoters over here.

Bigtime, I'm doubting that anyone would take him to represent the Oz crowd. IMO Ozzies are top. fact.

djfilthmonger
27-12-2008, 02:11 PM
this sucks, hope everything works out.

The Overfiend
27-12-2008, 04:11 PM
The whole thing about please do not give people ammunition during pending cases is bullshit, if you want your money the best time is while he is being indicted on similar charges.
I am not sure about international law, but I bet if you proceed with legal action it will be heard as long as there is proff of a contractual agreement.

machina
27-12-2008, 05:14 PM
^the biggest problem with this ****stain is there is no money - he's liquidated 3 companies and ****ed around the system somehow for years...

the_psychologist
28-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Sorry to hear about your woes Henry... Sounds like he burned some pretty big names in electronic music.

Are you planning to shift to production as you get older? I mean producing tracks, albums, etc for other artists?

Out of curiosity, what is the most you have ever profited off of a vinyl release? I'm just asking because I've been seeing artists like NIN get away from record labels and move to self-released digital files. I'm sure many people share the tracks with others, but at least the profit being made is straight to the artist. Could you do digital releases and charge like 2 quid per track? It's a very slow train that's coming, and it has been coming for years. Yes, MP3s have affected sales, but nothing will change their proliferation. Best to get on it and figure out a model that works as well as possible (and do it asap).

Cheers

davethedrummer
29-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Sorry to hear about your woes Henry... Sounds like he burned some pretty big names in electronic music.

Are you planning to shift to production as you get older? I mean producing tracks, albums, etc for other artists?

Out of curiosity, what is the most you have ever profited off of a vinyl release? I'm just asking because I've been seeing artists like NIN get away from record labels and move to self-released digital files. I'm sure many people share the tracks with others, but at least the profit being made is straight to the artist. Could you do digital releases and charge like 2 quid per track? It's a very slow train that's coming, and it has been coming for years. Yes, MP3s have affected sales, but nothing will change their proliferation. Best to get on it and figure out a model that works as well as possible (and do it asap).

Cheers

well a bit of a change in direction for the thread
but yeah it's a bloody good idea to sell your music yourself I reckon.

DannyBlack
29-12-2008, 11:40 AM
I think it is a diamond Idea too. The artist, the creator of music needs to have absolute control in my opinion.

electoad
29-12-2008, 12:24 PM
LOL - http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=239926
with Spiro apearing as "MrDisco" and "Disco_LIsBBYanne"
Bring popcorn

DannyBlack
29-12-2008, 01:06 PM
http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/1314/awesomespirorf6.jpg

:lol:

the_psychologist
29-12-2008, 11:28 PM
well a bit of a change in direction for the thread
but yeah it's a bloody good idea to sell your music yourself I reckon.

well, it's related because it could maybe take the pressure off to gig constantly. less gigging = fewer twats to deal with.

i was asking about profits because i'm curious if (even with file sharing, a practice that is not prevented by vinyl at all) you would still be making more off a digital release than you would off a vinyl release. i love vinyl, too, but you need to put yourself before the format. i'm still unsure why the SUF collective doesn't offer an extensive back cat in high quality online.

cheers

MARK ANXIOUS
30-12-2008, 04:30 AM
henry, i'm horrified to hear this.

i feel with my own experience with spiro, chrissi and i were very, very lucky.

when we went over, i had some insane gastro virus that left me so very ill that we had to use a hire car rather than the artist bus (the gig was 3 hours into the outback but i couldnt travel for more than 20 minutes without throwing up - gastro interitus or something they said it was).

Fortunately after the gig, having the car gave us the independance we needed to try to sort it out when spiro mysteriously vanished. Instead of being shipped back to the hotel tired after the gig, able to do nothing when we'd woken, i was able to rest in the car for 2 hours and then make such a nuisance of myself to the point that we actually found Spiro. We ended up in the dodgiest caravan you can ever imagine with serious security and a bloke who kept his money in a pirate-style chest. Sure I got paid, but it was all quite bizarre I can tell you.

Anyway, that's why i contacted you h once i'd seen you were playing for them. i just wanted to say 'b careful'. Perhaps i should have explained myself better and you might not have decided to go.

Hope you sort this out bro.

Mark

holotropik
30-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Bloddy hell!

force
30-12-2008, 12:28 PM
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1231/107/1/873610572/n873610572_5222895_8746.jpg

Darkmode
30-12-2008, 01:08 PM
henry, i'm horrified to hear this.

i feel with my own experience with spiro, chrissi and i were very, very lucky.

when we went over, i had some insane gastro virus that left me so very ill that we had to use a hire car rather than the artist bus (the gig was 3 hours into the outback but i couldnt travel for more than 20 minutes without throwing up - gastro interitus or something they said it was).

Fortunately after the gig, having the car gave us the independance we needed to try to sort it out when spiro mysteriously vanished. Instead of being shipped back to the hotel tired after the gig, able to do nothing when we'd woken, i was able to rest in the car for 2 hours and then make such a nuisance of myself to the point that we actually found Spiro. We ended up in the dodgiest caravan you can ever imagine with serious security and a bloke who kept his money in a pirate-style chest. Sure I got paid, but it was all quite bizarre I can tell you.

Anyway, that's why i contacted you h once i'd seen you were playing for them. i just wanted to say 'b careful'. Perhaps i should have explained myself better and you might not have decided to go.

Hope you sort this out bro.

Mark

I had that gastro interitus last month mate it's not very nice

BDC
30-12-2008, 01:43 PM
man that ****ing blows bigtime....

Sorry you have to deal with such bullshit Henry.

All I can say is karma's a bitch and they'll get theirs...

jon connor
30-12-2008, 02:09 PM
HMMMMM NOT the first time ive heard horror stories from earth core , ive had similar experience elsewhere but hey this is an insult to the AUSTRALIAN TECHNO MASSIVE out there your promoters are screwing you out of your favorite artists , the last thing you want is a bad rep because no 1 will come that distance to be pissed on. sort these mothers out and boycot there events start your own clearly this guy has brought shame on you.

jon connor
30-12-2008, 02:12 PM
buy the way hennry i no where you comming from i also have 7 year old kid @ home its hard going when you have to leave the misses all the time especially in our case of finding child minders phew the rows ive had the last 7 years over pheew tuff busininess im with ya there dude.

tocsin
30-12-2008, 04:58 PM
check this out.

GRRRRRRRR!

Wow! Henry, you played both of your sets. I do not believe that either British or Australian contract law is any different than it is in the US. Hell, the US version came out of the british version and I'm assuming the same is likely for Australia as well. For almost $5k, it may very well be in your interests to contact some of your mates in Melbourne and have an attorney there take up this case for you. You should not need to ever show up in person. That excuse about "slander" is bullshit for a couple reasons. 1.) It's not "slander" if it's true. 2.) It has absolutely no bearing on the agreement you guys entered into which you completely fulfilled on your end. Had you walked away from this earlier, yeah, you'd have no claim. But, given you completely fulfilled your obligations, he really has no defense.

Did you get a contract? If not, the e-mail correspondences of agreement between you two may be enough. Either way, for $5k, it's probably worth talking to someone down there if you haven't and seeing if it's something both realistic and affordable for you to pursue.

SlavikSvensk
30-12-2008, 06:27 PM
check this out.

GRRRRRRRR!

bastards!!!

im sorry to hear that h
and i absolutely agreed,
guys like "Spiro" should go to the jail for something like that, no doubts
heh ...

+1

i don't generally advocate violence, but if this spiro fool habitually rips off djs, then he'd seem to be in need of a serious kicking.

machina
30-12-2008, 06:30 PM
HMMMMM NOT the first time ive heard horror stories from earth core , ive had similar experience elsewhere but hey this is an insult to the AUSTRALIAN TECHNO MASSIVE out there your promoters are screwing you out of your favorite artists , the last thing you want is a bad rep because no 1 will come that distance to be pissed on. sort these mothers out and boycot there events start your own clearly this guy has brought shame on you.

as i said earlier - spiro is not even slightly indicative of aussie promoters and he's been an ongoing joke here for years.... obviously it's pretty hard for people to know who/what they are playing for from across the other side of the planet, but i'm sure most people in the know over here would advise against having anything to do with earthcore... most promoters here do the right thing, and this is just an example of a ****wit - i'm sure they exist everywhere... (although perhaps not to this extent - ec is pretty special in that respect)

jon connor
30-12-2008, 09:46 PM
as i said earlier - spiro is not even slightly indicative of aussie promoters and he's been an ongoing joke here for years.... obviously it's pretty hard for people to know who/what they are playing for from across the other side of the planet, but i'm sure most people in the know over here would advise against having anything to do with earthcore... most promoters here do the right thing, and this is just an example of a ****wit - i'm sure they exist everywhere... (although perhaps not to this extent - ec is pretty special in that respect)

cool just thought this guy was ummm sticking 1 in the ass for genuine techno fans over there , glad you guys have sum sense and respect unlike this MUPPET!

keep up the good work man .

jon connor
30-12-2008, 10:15 PM
LOL - http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=239926
with Spiro apearing as "MrDisco" and "Disco_LIsBBYanne"
Bring popcorn

good read that hahahah for a laugh ,was interesting to read the soliceters letters hahahahahahahah dick, damaged reputation ? heheheheh! does he not realise he has just ripped off one of the most respected techno artists on the planet ?

im going now because the more i read the more im getting angry and am having thoughts of forming some kinda lynch mob hahahahah no serious just hate it when i see people beeing abused in this way and do you no wot its always the bloody good ones it happens to isint it.

pour ya self a large 1 henry and have a great new year man.

vinvanman
30-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Sorry to hear your bad experience Henry. Seems to be a history of kippyness about E.C. This cock Spiro sounds like a right gickhole, hated by many, check it out http://boycottearthcore2007.blogspot.com/

DarkYoung
30-12-2008, 11:33 PM
gutted dude. although from reading your blog it seems the writing was on the wall; and you should have honoured your first commitment to play at Fabric.
still we all live and learn. all the best for 2009, should be a good year for Roosters; Year of the Ox and all, financially anyway.

fatcollective
31-12-2008, 02:57 PM
sorry to hear this henry...not been a good few months has it, hope 2009 brings ya better luck mate!

luvlysmiler
09-01-2009, 07:43 PM
And thats the last time Oz will see Dave the Drummer

DarkYoung
11-01-2009, 05:19 PM
And thats the last time Oz will see Dave the Drummer

i doubt it, there will be more comebacks than Liberace. No offence DtD.

AcidTrash
03-02-2009, 04:30 AM
I moved to scotland. I'm sick of this bloody rain.

The_Laughing_Man
03-02-2009, 12:22 PM
http://boycottearthcore2007.blogspot.com/

278d7e64a374de26f==