PDA

View Full Version : Has the era of funky energy driven techno died in the uk??

tots
03-01-2009, 07:09 PM
To be honest i dont think Energy driven techno was ever a fashionable thing in the uk(and that was a good thing in my imo)But it had a small and dedicated following!and the clubs that housed this style blew the roof off(once upon a time)!!

This following seems to have got smaller or more spread out here in britain and alot of the best partys seem to have moved back to the east of the world ie Holland,Belgium,Poland,ukrane,Russia and tokyo and as far as australia,to name but a few!
I know there is the odd good party here in the uk but you have to be lucky to stumble upon one!

The ultimate question is,if your hearts passion is hard driving energetic techno,should we move east of the world????

SlavikSvensk
03-01-2009, 07:18 PM
without trying to sound snide...what the hell is "funky energy driven techno?"

Stella Boy
03-01-2009, 07:35 PM
are you on about minimals rise and hard techno's seemingly fall from popularity ?

if you're not then feck knows what you mean.

tots
03-01-2009, 08:07 PM
without trying to sound snide...what the hell is "funky energy driven techno?"LOL!Energetic funky techno??Its not really that hard to disiphre is it stella boy???And that isnt the main point of the this thread is it really???And yes it does sound snide wots yer problem dude?with that reply youve just sent this thread derogetory before it even started!!

I am simply asking for an open minded opinion/view of the the techno scene in the uk today,not a q&a on how to lay down your view on genre!!!,sorry if im coming across as being out of order folks.

tots
03-01-2009, 08:17 PM
are you on about minimals rise and hard techno's seemingly fall from popularity ?

if you're not then feck knows what you mean.Im basically saying are we flogging a dead horse buying and playing hard/energetic techno music in the uk as peeps here are so fashion driven and things evolve and change so fast here,dont get me wrong i will always be in to the harder darker side but are peeps like me gonna be very alone soon saying......I REMEMBER THE DAYS WHEN............

rhythmtech
03-01-2009, 08:17 PM
im lost too tots.. can you give us some examples of artists? i mean some would consider hydraulix as funky energy driven while others would name people like humphries and nuccle and then you'd have some that would say hertz' older stuff.

tots
03-01-2009, 08:30 PM
im lost too tots.. can you give us some examples of artists? i mean some would consider hydraulix as funky energy driven while others would name people like humphries and nuccle and then you'd have some that would say hertz' older stuff.Sorry if ive been a little vague rythmtech,yes nuccle humphries,Gunjack(matt k)Hertz,pirate audio,patterns etc??

rhythmtech
03-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Sorry if ive been a little vague rythmtech,yes nuccle humphries,Gunjack(matt k)Hertz,pirate audio,patterns etc??

music wise - go check out my label damaged trax http://www.trackitdown.net/recordlabel/105195/damaged-trax.html :yup:

also have a look at morepunkthanfunk, kickthedrum, mike's mastertraxx is still going, glenn wilson has some new stuff coming soon that'll blow you away..

i think everyone is really re-evaluating their sounds and trying to move forwards. techno goes thru phases like that.. the other side will be a better place :wink:

as far as parties go i understand what you mean.. we get a handful of good parties over here but sometimes it seems like theres only a handful of us pushing the sound.. is the uk not a bit better? poland is still rockin it though.

tots
03-01-2009, 08:59 PM
the svensk guy on this thread are stella boy comments folks,for some reason this has been edited????

tots
03-01-2009, 09:03 PM
LOL!Energetic funky techno??Its not really that hard to disiphre is it stella boy???And that isnt the main point of the this thread is it really???And yes it does sound snide wots yer problem dude?with that reply youve just sent this thread derogetory before it even started!!

I am simply asking for an open minded opinion/view of the the techno scene in the uk today,not a q&a on how to lay down your view on genre!!!,sorry if im coming across as being out of order folks.When i first quoted this comment it was from stella boy!!!and has been edited by moderators which have changed the name to slavik svensk for some reason???

is communism on its way back?????come on guys this is shit!!!

DannyBlack
03-01-2009, 09:07 PM
this thread confuses me! If I understand your question, my answer would be no Tots. Not at all! The mainstream is minimal etc, I don't think the techno you refer to was ever mainstream.

I think the absolute saturation of minimal in clubs has you perhaps a little blind sided as to other styles and where they went. They didn't really go anywhere really. They are still there, underground. :-) All good. Keep your chin up mate.

tots
03-01-2009, 09:31 PM
this thread confuses me! If I understand your question, my answer would be no Tots. Not at all! The mainstream is minimal etc, I don't think the techno you refer to was ever mainstream.

I think the absolute saturation of minimal in clubs has you perhaps a little blind sided as to other styles and where they went. They didn't really go anywhere really. They are still there, underground. :-) All good. Keep your chin up mate.Respect danny!but its hard to keep up good spirits on the uk techno scene as everyones idea of techno is so different these days!!I was handed a cd the other day that read on the front,TECHNO!!??I played it and what came through my speakers was abismal,it was commercial electro house 125bpm and made me very sleepy??

DannyBlack
03-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I hear you. But the best thing to do is to not get bogged down by what others deem as techno, it would wreck your head! It is hard to actually find a good techno sesh these days for sure, but you will.

Part of the fun for me is the hunt. To scour and then to find something you can identify with. It makes putting up with bad quality nonsense worth while.

Techno went on a downturn last year, I think we can all agree on that. But in my honest opinion I think this year it will be back on the up. Check out the guys on this site, some of the stuff they put out is truley remarkable! It really is only a matter of time before the rest cop on and realise that there is better out there. Fact. :-)

rhythmtech
03-01-2009, 09:43 PM
tots, check your pm

tots
03-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I hear you. But the best thing to do is to not get bogged down by what others deem as techno, it would wreck your head! It is hard to actually find a good techno sesh these days for sure, but you will.

Part of the fun for me is the hunt. To scour and then to find something you can identify with. It makes putting up with bad quality nonsense worth while.

Techno went on a downturn last year, I think we can all agree on that. But in my honest opinion I think this year it will be back on the up. Check out the guys on this site, some of the stuff they put out is truley remarkable! It really is only a matter of time before the rest cop on and realise that there is better out there. Fact. :-)And thats why i use boa to keep track of happenings and movements of the music im in to,as i deem it an upfront real techno source!
But as long as theres folk like the afor mentioned shooting people down for silly things it will only count towards failiure,alot of folk would have identified with my initial comments but wherent even given the chance,again sorry if im out of place and thanks for your comments ryhthmtech all the best...

tots
03-01-2009, 10:37 PM
without trying to sound snide...what the hell is "funky energy driven techno?"THIS COMMENT WAS ORIGINALLY FROM STELLA BOY AND WAS CHANGED TO SLAVIKSVENSK,ALL I CAN SAY IS BE YOURSELF,I DONT HIDE BEHIND A CODENAME????

RDR
03-01-2009, 11:18 PM
THIS COMMENT WAS ORIGINALLY FROM STELLA BOY AND WAS CHANGED TO SLAVIKSVENSK,ALL I CAN SAY IS BE YOURSELF,I DONT HIDE BEHIND A CODENAME????

Hi Tots.

I know what you mean, loop driven stuff along the lines of JB3 type funky techno (which is what i think most people know it as) jehrico records material. later code red, earlier beyer stuff. Zentz and the like.

I dont think its died on the dance floor, play a funky track like this and people will still dance. You and brad (are you brad.. i get confused by the name tots) anyway have put on some cracking nights in leeds, which im ashamed to say i didnt attend due to personal work related issues and circumstance) along with lots of other people around the UK.

I know what you mean about the decline though. I think thats a combination of the decline in the club scene in general and the way music and fashions change. Also as a audience no-one is getting younger. I teach kids who 10 years or check it... 20! years ago would have been into the techno you are talking about. Now i am that kid, now an adult. (ok..ok so im not an adult :lol: ) these kids are now into psy-trance, drum and bass and hip hop and shit regurgitated hardcore.

IMO - music is change and thats a fact. cant stop it, we might as well be trying to ram a pint into a half glass.

also dude - i dont think slavicsvensk has the permissions to edit posts in this section, he is the metropolis moderator, nor do the mods here change stuff people put like you reckon they did. ive not seen it happen and ive been a mod here for 2 years.

Peace folks!

rhythmtech
03-01-2009, 11:23 PM
also dude - i dont think slavicsvensk has the permissions to edit posts in this section, he is the metropolis moderator, nor do the mods here change stuff people put like you reckon they did. ive not seen it happen and ive been a mod here for 2 years.also if it was edited by anyone it would say
last edited by *username* at *time* underneath (like this post does now).

maybe you read it wrong first time?

tots
04-01-2009, 12:13 AM
LOL!Energetic funky techno??Its not really that hard to disiphre is it slaviksvensk???And that isnt the main point of the this thread is it really???And yes it does sound snide wots yer problem dude?with that reply youve just sent this thread derogetory before it even started!!

I am simply asking for an open minded opinion/view of the the techno scene in the uk today,not a q&a on how to lay down your view on genre!!!,sorry if im coming across as being out of order folks.Edited!

tots
04-01-2009, 12:19 AM
This is a public apoligy to stella boy!!

DVNT
04-01-2009, 01:19 AM
Techno is future music isn't it? So by that I mean it should be constantly evolving. I love techno as much as the next guy and this isn't meant to be a negative thing, but a lot of techno sounds like techno. It's not really pushing the envelope as was the goal with techno way back when wasn't it?

jon connor
04-01-2009, 02:18 AM
To be honest i dont think Energy driven techno was ever a fashionable thing in the uk(and that was a good thing in my imo)But it had a small and dedicated following!and the clubs that housed this style blew the roof off(once upon a time)!!

This following seems to have got smaller or more spread out here in britain and alot of the best partys seem to have moved back to the east of the world ie Holland,Belgium,Poland,ukrane,Russia and tokyo and as far as australia,to name but a few!
I know there is the odd good party here in the uk but you have to be lucky to stumble upon one!

The ultimate question is,if your hearts passion is hard driving energetic techno,should we move east of the world????

HMMM NOPE JUST MORE UNDERGROUND WHERE IT SHOULD BE !
massive scene in north wales for over a decade and half , but more free party stuff especially here in wales , now you see the likes of myself, the aWsome DISTEK , muckie beats, zoid, joe giacomet,tripple b, a.p with multiple releases and on going projects we are the new generation in my country who was influenced by this music ( hard driving energetic ) from the age of an average 15 16 in wot was a massive outdoor scene here in wales, so that is a good thing especially for wales as we are still relitivly young especially in joes case as he is 23 and has a great head on his sholders and also owns runs the mighty MORE PUNK THAN FUNK , So as for north wales i think its healthy with lots of great talent who all have come from the realness of techno the underground.

as for uk as a whole i do think its healthy with room for inprovement just look at this board talent everywhere.

major point is a lot of main stream djs are using hard driving energetic techno,
eddie haliwell , judge jules, dj preach, paul van dyke,( NOT WHERE WE WANT TO SEE IT BUT IT IS WE HAVE TO EXCEPT THAT ) etc they all slap a few in there sets , so i think its just about to start again in my opinion, you do get dry patches but somthings always around the corner and brings it all back .

1 word for 2008 hard driving energetic techno ADVENT YOU ARE LEGEND .

Hope that helps you out a bit dude , the scene is never lost because there are plenty of young new guys girls ready to carry the batton. WORD!

jon connor
04-01-2009, 02:29 AM
And thats why i use boa to keep track of happenings and movements of the music im in to,as i deem it an upfront real techno source!
But as long as theres folk like the afor mentioned shooting people down for silly things it will only count towards failiure,alot of folk would have identified with my initial comments but wherent even given the chance,again sorry if im out of place and thanks for your comments ryhthmtech all the best...

dONT BE SORRY DUDE YOU ARE NOT OUT OF PLACE !
this is a place that helps people into techno a great plattform Respect son!

jon connor
04-01-2009, 02:35 AM

Techno went on a downturn last year, I think we can all agree on that. But in my honest opinion I think this year it will be back on the up. Check out the guys on this site, some of the stuff they put out is truley remarkable! It really is only a matter of time before the rest cop on and realise that there is better out there. Fact. :-)

yes danny you hit the nail on the head there fella cool!

its like me going out on da boat fishing as i love it just as much as techno im a bass fisherman and its a hunt , but if i went out every time and caught 1 i wouldent enjoy it , its the same with techno if you had all your eggs in 1 basket every day you wouldent eat eggs no more hahahahahahahah fuk u no wot i mean jesus i sound like jose marininio im off for a vodka phewww!

The Overfiend
04-01-2009, 03:05 AM
Anarchy in the uk

tekara
04-01-2009, 07:51 AM
I just finished the interview with Joris Voorn that I had mentioned to you a few weeks back.

Some of the questions you guys wanted me to ask, were asked, and answered by him. He had some interesting things to say regarding the "minimal fad"......I'll try to copy and paste in a new thread tomorrow.

gunjack
04-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Sorry if ive been a little vague rythmtech,yes nuccle humphries,Gunjack(matt k)

i love how this guy doesn't even distinguish between matt and i.

um gunjack = brian gibbs. er, me.

matt k. is some other dude i did some records with a while back.... and they are probably the LEAST funky tunes i have had out this year!

truth be told matt had about 3% to do with all the production work on those records. he just threw some vocal hooks my way, kept the weed coming and did the packaging.

yea you might want to explore techno a bit more before lumping it all in as "funky" and "out of style" etc because your london-centric view of "the state of the industry in the UK" is obviously an ignorant one.

DannyBlack
04-01-2009, 12:22 PM

Wow, you're related to the BeeGee's!

gunjack
04-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Techno is future music isn't it? So by that I mean it should be constantly evolving. I love techno as much as the next guy and this isn't meant to be a negative thing, but a lot of techno sounds like techno. It's not really pushing the envelope as was the goal with techno way back when wasn't it?

some of us are trying. it's tough though because people seem so determined to keep recycling a prototype that want cold years ago. i am not saying we abandon the format completely mind you, just that we try harder to be a bit more interesting than 4 and a half minutes of hard percussion, with a 4x4 feel and some "downwards" synth on top.

i mean people from certain generations couldn't even tell you about juan atkins much less marvin gaye etc.

here goes a story for you.

i was in atlanta, recording the first omerta single at matt's place. we go out to eat and i slide a marvin gaye instrumentals CD into the player. i am vibing out on the deep motown vibes and all of a sudden matt yanks out the CD and says: "sorry i can't take this music"... he then proceeds to put on the latest "underground hip hop mixtape" (hasaan insane) with biggie bootlegs etc and the first song that comes on is just a 16 bar looped sample OF THE VERY SAME MARVIN GAYE TUNE THAT WAS PLAYING WHEN HE POPPED THE DISC OUT!

this is the mentality that ****s us up. people who say "i dunno, i just play what i like" when you ask them about the roots of techno.

closed minded, genre centric, bosh bosh heads who don't know the history of this music and are, therefore, doomed to repeat it.

or outsiders who call dark tunes "funky" and come visit forums like this just to ask if the sound is "out of style"

we got to LEAD the pack not just be satisfied with something that sounds like something else that is already on wax!

i understand that new producers rely on emulation. i was the same when i started - "wow that could be a downwards tune!" (that type of mentality) but how long does it take to get past the novelty and start making tunes that actually cross boundaries or erase them altogether.

i have mad respect for detroit heads for example but they are just as guilty of getting to a certain level musically and being content to stay there for years and years!

GJ

gunjack
04-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Wow, you're related to the BeeGee's!

hahahaha wow how original never heard THAT one before... : p

DannyBlack
04-01-2009, 12:48 PM
hahaha ah mate, I get the same shit over here too. "Danny Mills, don't you play for Manchester City?"

wankers :lol:

gunjack
04-01-2009, 12:55 PM
indeed.

DVNT
04-01-2009, 01:00 PM
some of us are trying. it's tough though because people seem so determined to keep recycling a prototype that want cold years ago. i am not saying we abandon the format completely mind you, just that we try harder to be a bit more interesting than 4 and a half minutes of hard percussion, with a 4x4 feel and some "downwards" synth on top.

i mean people from certain generations couldn't even tell you about juan atkins much less marvin gaye etc.

here goes a story for you.

i was in atlanta, recording the first omerta single at matt's place. we go out to eat and i slide a marvin gaye instrumentals CD into the player. i am vibing out on the deep motown vibes and all of a sudden matt yanks out the CD and says: "sorry i can't take this music"... he then proceeds to put on the latest "underground hip hop mixtape" (hasaan insane) with biggie bootlegs etc and the first song that comes on is just a 16 bar looped sample OF THE VERY SAME MARVIN GAYE TUNE THAT WAS PLAYING WHEN HE POPPED THE DISC OUT!

this is the mentality that ****s us up. people who say "i dunno, i just play what i like" when you ask them about the roots of techno.

closed minded, genre centric, bosh bosh heads who don't know the history of this music and are, therefore, doomed to repeat it.

or outsiders who call dark tunes "funky" and come visit forums like this just to ask if the sound is "out of style"

we got to LEAD the pack not just be satisfied with something that sounds like something else that is already on wax!

i understand that new producers rely on emulation. i was the same when i started - "wow that could be a downwards tune!" (that type of mentality) but how long does it take to get past the novelty and start making tunes that actually cross boundaries or erase them altogether.

i have mad respect for detroit heads for example but they are just as guilty of getting to a certain level musically and being content to stay there for years and years!

GJ

Exactly. :D

RitchieP
04-01-2009, 02:28 PM
that kind of techno has died. Sall about the minimal ;)

dan the acid man
04-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Can i just clear up the fact that no post in this thread so far has been edited in anyway by any mod.

djfilthmonger
04-01-2009, 02:52 PM

I get ya its like House Dj's here suddenly play minimal techno becoz thats wat people want . But they have no understanding of the techno Genre and how it has changed throughout the year's they turn there head to harder stuff. I had one of these guys telling me Sunshine - Tomaz Vs Filterheadz was a heptic hard techno nonsense... I justed laugh at him and said shows what u know about techno.

djfilthmonger
04-01-2009, 02:53 PM

minimal is on its way out mate I can feel it. Well maybe not on its way out but prob gett better more intresting than blips and blops

davethedrummer
04-01-2009, 05:20 PM
well i can see a BIG resurgence in underground techno in london
and thats always a good thing.
minimal has become a victim of it's own success in lot's of ways
but the music is still good and works on the floor
but people think it's more fashionable now to slag it off than to like it.
Weird, because it's still being played everywhere
its like there's people standing outside clubs smoking cigs saying:
" oh, minimal this and minimal that blah blah its all crap etc etc ..."
and the music in the club they're outside of is minimal! and it's going off!!
it's all nonsense if you ask me.
final word:
find the stuff you like, ignore the brand name.

tekara
04-01-2009, 08:04 PM
i am perfectly guilty of being nostalgic for the code red early drumcode sounding techno and all of the stuff that came out in the late 90's, but let's face it, that sound has progressed to what it is now.

whether we like it or hate it, there's a new generation of young producers armed with cubase and a few cracked VSTs that is pushing the bleepy bloppy sound. I was extremely resistant of this sound when the old sound of techno started dying out, but lately I have begun to become more accepting of it.

The fact is, is that the "techno" scene has started to break up into several different sounds in the past 5 years. Even "minimal" can be found as a seperate category OUTSIDE of techno on record websites and is no longer branded as "minimal techno" ala Richie Hawtin style. Back then, from what I recall, Techno was just techno......there was Detroit techno in America, and then "everything else" which was everything that was coming out of Germany, Sweden, UK, and Italy. Now everything has been totally categorized into seperate sub-genres which to me is not a healthy thing since it just creates barriers and snobs in the underground dance music community.

rhythmtech
04-01-2009, 08:22 PM
well said tekara..

but have you noticed that those who do well cant seem to be categorized? at least thats healthy.

Darkmode
04-01-2009, 08:27 PM

Minimal will eventually die out as people are already getting bored of it anways Techno has never died as it's always Evolving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darkmode
04-01-2009, 08:29 PM
I just finished the interview with Joris Voorn that I had mentioned to you a few weeks back.

Some of the questions you guys wanted me to ask, were asked, and answered by him. He had some interesting things to say regarding the "minimal fad"......I'll try to copy and paste in a new thread tomorrow.

I will be interested in what he has to say about the "minimal fad" I look forward to reading it

markandrew
05-01-2009, 08:51 AM
i like to play house techhouse and the funky side of techno never get bored then with one genre then great for long sets aswell techno will always go through fads as dave the drummer said find the stuff you like, ignore the brand name :smile:

RDR
05-01-2009, 09:17 AM
The funk is where you find it i reckon... and energy...

it is what it is, and people find funk and energy in the strangest of places!

MARK ANXIOUS
05-01-2009, 01:07 PM
i dunno, sure techno can be funky and energetic but i think that's only one small part of what techno is about. and yeah, it's evolved MASSIVELY over the last 20 years and thank god. i mean i know kevin saunderson made some awesome basslines in the 80's but if we were all still listening to them now, well i think we'd be a little bored. hehe

i love what minimal has done for techno and i also love the fact that it gave the loopy clubby stuff the biggest kick up the ass that it had had for ten years. if i'm being totally honest, putting a techno set together for a energetic-style club night was originally a huge, huge challenge in the 90's and it gave you such a unique identity, cause no two sets were the same. but then it became almost like painting by numbers. i could go online and without even listening to the previews, order a load of new records by certain artists and be guaranteed a certain style or sound that would be easy to put together within the day.

now it's very very different. putting a techno set together is a huge, huge challenge and so much more enjoyable again with so much variety to choose from. sure keeping that 'energy' is very important as far as i'm concerned (uk techno dancefloor's are definitely much more energy driven than most others!!!), but the music is still out there - just alot less formulated than it had become.

i think as far as the more commercial uk club scene goes, there is a huge appreciation of techno once someone actually steps up and plays it. you should see the responses i've been getting recently in some places that you just wouldn't believe. in fact, last week i played gatecrasher and gave them 60 minutes of some of the most freshest underground techno you could imagine, straight after the tidy boys and before amber bloody d. the reaction was unbefeckinlievable - people were climbing the walls.

and as far as the underground scene in the uk goes, well it's still exactly that - underground. there's still pockets of ppl over the uk who truly believe it the music and as far as i can tell this hasnt changed at all.

i think the problem here is the music has developed and changed so fast over the last year or so that the club scene and the ppl organising/running the nights have been slow/scared to change in the uk. and that's typically of us here in the uk. where as the records shops and dancefloors speak for themselves with people open and ready for change, those running the nights are thinking that it's all going tits up when in fact it's them not understanding that they have to adapt and take risks. that's music. and it will be those that make that change that will be the ones who survive and take us through the next five years.

ok well that's quite enough rambling for one day. hahahahah

basslinejunkie
05-01-2009, 01:15 PM
its not only techno that evolves, people do too and i think a natrual progression is too venture away from the boom boom banging stuff and get into slower, deeper and darker forms. its certainly the path ive taken and id hazard a guess at alot of other people doing this also. bang bang does get a bit boring (although its still great in small doses.)

djfilthmonger
05-01-2009, 01:38 PM
its not only techno that evolves, people do too and i think a natrual progression is too venture away from the boom boom banging stuff and get into slower, deeper and darker forms. its certainly the path ive taken and id hazard a guess at alot of other people doing this also. bang bang does get a bit boring (although its still great in small doses.)

I understand what your saying here but I dont think its a natural progression to get into sumtin slower . I think the more we listen to different artist's and different genres this will help the techno progression.
I believe a person who makes music will have many influcenes from what they have grew up listening to , the next generation will have totally different influcenes and this will bring music forward in general. If every one starts listening to slower stuff music will be boring. we need variety to move forward IMO

Igneous
05-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Has the era of funky energy driven techno died in the uk??

It hasn't died, its maybe in a bit of a lull at the mo compared to 5 years ago, but techno styles go round in cycles. There are still quite a few parties going on round the UK to hear this stuff, so not to worry, it will keep going. It should never be a mainstream sound like minimal is IMO & just played at a dozen or so nights around the UK playing it.

Still my favourite sound to play & dance to thou.

jon connor
05-01-2009, 02:05 PM

hahahahahahaha wot a load of toffs thinking this is music running round ibiza on kettemin hahahahahaah mate that word minimal should be changed to bloody ambient.

Frank Dogshit
05-01-2009, 02:22 PM
brilliant UK techno label and new tracks on Locked 003.

http://www.junodownload.com/products/1377415-02.htm

as they say its all about going looking for it.

The Overfiend
05-01-2009, 03:29 PM
i love how this guy doesn't even distinguish between matt and i.

matt k. is some other dude i did some records with a while back.... and they are probably the LEAST funky tunes i have had out this year!

truth be told matt had about 3% to do with all the production work on those records. he just threw some vocal hooks my way, kept the weed coming and did the packaging.

yea you might want to explore techno a bit more before lumping it all in as "funky" and "out of style" etc because your london-centric view of "the state of the industry in the UK" is obviously an ignorant one.

Good to see you get that out there B.
I'll be listening to Dr Buzzard's Original Savannah Band today.

SlavikSvensk
05-01-2009, 07:02 PM
the svensk guy on this thread are stella boy comments folks,for some reason this has been edited????

LOL!Energetic funky techno??Its not really that hard to disiphre is it stella boy???And that isnt the main point of the this thread is it really???And yes it does sound snide wots yer problem dude?with that reply youve just sent this thread derogetory before it even started!!

I am simply asking for an open minded opinion/view of the the techno scene in the uk today,not a q&a on how to lay down your view on genre!!!,sorry if im coming across as being out of order folks.

Im basically saying are we flogging a dead horse buying and playing hard/energetic techno music in the uk as peeps here are so fashion driven and things evolve and change so fast here,dont get me wrong i will always be in to the harder darker side but are peeps like me gonna be very alone soon saying......I REMEMBER THE DAYS WHEN............

When i first quoted this comment it was from stella boy!!!and has been edited by moderators which have changed the name to slavik svensk for some reason???

is communism on its way back?????come on guys this is shit!!!

THIS COMMENT WAS ORIGINALLY FROM STELLA BOY AND WAS CHANGED TO SLAVIKSVENSK,ALL I CAN SAY IS BE YOURSELF,I DONT HIDE BEHIND A CODENAME????

slow down, speedy g.

you described something that was not clear, to me or to several other people who posted. in response, the bizarre chain of replies above ensued.

an honest question requires an honest answer, and no more.

tots
17-01-2009, 11:21 PM
i dunno, sure techno can be funky and energetic but i think that's only one small part of what techno is about. and yeah, it's evolved MASSIVELY over the last 20 years and thank god. i mean i know kevin saunderson made some awesome basslines in the 80's but if we were all still listening to them now, well i think we'd be a little bored. hehe

i love what minimal has done for techno and i also love the fact that it gave the loopy clubby stuff the biggest kick up the ass that it had had for ten years. if i'm being totally honest, putting a techno set together for a energetic-style club night was originally a huge, huge challenge in the 90's and it gave you such a unique identity, cause no two sets were the same. but then it became almost like painting by numbers. i could go online and without even listening to the previews, order a load of new records by certain artists and be guaranteed a certain style or sound that would be easy to put together within the day.

now it's very very different. putting a techno set together is a huge, huge challenge and so much more enjoyable again with so much variety to choose from. sure keeping that 'energy' is very important as far as i'm concerned (uk techno dancefloor's are definitely much more energy driven than most others!!!), but the music is still out there - just alot less formulated than it had become.

i think as far as the more commercial uk club scene goes, there is a huge appreciation of techno once someone actually steps up and plays it. you should see the responses i've been getting recently in some places that you just wouldn't believe. in fact, last week i played gatecrasher and gave them 60 minutes of some of the most freshest underground techno you could imagine, straight after the tidy boys and before amber bloody d. the reaction was unbefeckinlievable - people were climbing the walls.

and as far as the underground scene in the uk goes, well it's still exactly that - underground. there's still pockets of ppl over the uk who truly believe it the music and as far as i can tell this hasnt changed at all.

i think the problem here is the music has developed and changed so fast over the last year or so that the club scene and the ppl organising/running the nights have been slow/scared to change in the uk. and that's typically of us here in the uk. where as the records shops and dancefloors speak for themselves with people open and ready for change, those running the nights are thinking that it's all going tits up when in fact it's them not understanding that they have to adapt and take risks. that's music. and it will be those that make that change that will be the ones who survive and take us through the next five years.

ok well that's quite enough rambling for one day. hahahahahWord!!!What an absolute wicked thread this has turned out to be!!Al the best folks...

FuK-NuT
23-01-2009, 03:46 PM
burn the bandwagon !!!

clubsynthetic
28-01-2009, 03:43 PM
club sense, yes, i would say so. i still play choons from ages ago with new stuff. playing something old can be have more effect than playing something new at times. i'm with Fuk-Nut on this one.

Rog
07-02-2009, 02:34 PM
for me, the party was dead when i moved..

the diverse sound of 'techno' is ever changing, and tbh all of the genres within techno.. minimal, acid, wonky, funky etc etc.. were kinda seperated..

you find the sounds you like and discover more, or get shown more by others..

the free party scene is always alive in the summer - so keep your ears to the ground..

techno is always changing, that's why i can be 2000miles away - no chance of a party happening.. but still love music! and still buy the odd bit when it grabs me..

good luck on your search ;-)

RDR
07-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Whats that scene like rog? any techno there at all?

Technologic
13-02-2009, 11:38 PM
At the end of the day peoples tastes change, i know mine does. It doesn't mean i abandon a certain sound completely, i'd look to incorporate various styles in a set anyway.

BloodStar
14-02-2009, 02:14 PM
certain music styles, even you dont love em, they can bring new perspectives to the same things. i think thats the move forward for the music, generally.
personally i am not into minimal, but must say, production wise it can sound pretty wicked on big rig. real dynamics, basically the thing which is pretty hard to find in many "limit to death" techno records these days,.. no need to jump on a bandwagon but it can bring new inspiration to people for working on their music, no matter what style it is. yeah, inspirations from outside of techno will push techno forward, tho....

The_Laughing_Man
14-02-2009, 06:34 PM
I dunno, it`s alive and well, just got mixed in with other stuff.

Theres a good dollop of funky energy stuff in the PA`s I`ve been playing as Dirty Bass for the last few months in da clubs

recent

http://www.iterativemusic.com/db/Dirty-Bass_Wreck_the_warehouse.mp3

Technologic
15-02-2009, 10:37 PM
I will be interested in what he has to say about the "minimal fad" I look forward to reading it

I find most minimal best played with a hangover or such like. Good chill out music imo.

Darkmode
16-02-2009, 06:03 PM
I find most minimal best played with a hangover or such like. Good chill out music imo.

To be honest I think I find most minimal is boring!

Technologic
16-02-2009, 07:11 PM
To be honest I think I find most minimal is boring!

I agree to an extent, it does get boring after a while, it's hardly "avin it" is it?

But it's easy listening for me, Dave Clarke or such like banging away when i've got a headache just isn't right.

I think it's good for a warm up set, or setting a tone in some swanky bar in the CBD, where socialising is what it''s all about, rather than cutting shapes on the dancefloor. I mean, it's good background music imo.

If i want to cut loose on the dance floor or something to wake me up in the morning, then i'd play something more lively.

278d7e64a374de26f==