PDA

View Full Version : windows vista

josephjobling
04-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Hi i am getting a new pc soon and they all come with vista now. has any one had any problems with vista or is it ok - my main concern is does it eat up all your cpu.

fils_here
04-01-2009, 06:21 PM
i got a laptop with vista seems ok, runs ableton & cubase fine, so far no problems.

rhythmtech
04-01-2009, 06:38 PM
you'll need 4 gig of ram for audio software as vista uses up nearly a full 1 gig by itself.

personally id ask around for a computer thats backwards compatible with xp and use that instead. vista still has a lot of driver issues that havent been sorted out.

josephjobling
04-01-2009, 06:52 PM
you'll need 4 gig of ram for audio software as vista uses up nearly a full 1 gig by itself.

personally id ask around for a computer thats backwards compatible with xp and use that instead. vista still has a lot of driver issues that havent been sorted out.
i think there is a way of using xp from the disk off me old pc was just wondering wether i should look into it - if it uses a gig then i think i will - cheers

DannyBlack
04-01-2009, 06:52 PM
It aint the best, but then it aint the worst. no major issues to report really. But yeah, I would recommend what Baz said.

josephjobling
04-01-2009, 06:58 PM
fair cheers - i will look at 4 gig and backwards compatability - actually good advice as i would have assumed that they where all backwards compatable

ORIS
04-01-2009, 07:07 PM
I've been running Vista on my studio PC and laptop for about a year now, no problems at all. As RythmTech said though, you are gonna need as much RAM as possible. It's a hungry old beast.

josephjobling
04-01-2009, 07:28 PM
where can i go for tips on speeding it up (i.e stopping un needed processes and running it a optimum clock speed)

fils_here
04-01-2009, 07:32 PM
I've been running Vista on my studio PC and laptop for about a year now, no problems at all. As RythmTech said though, you are gonna need as much RAM as possible. It's a hungry old beast.

i'll bear that in mind.

ORIS
04-01-2009, 09:12 PM
where can i go for tips on speeding it up (i.e stopping un needed processes and running it a optimum clock speed)

http://www.speedyvista.com/tweaks.php

josephjobling
04-01-2009, 09:22 PM
http://www.speedyvista.com/tweaks.php

thank you very much that will help me no end - it propper amazes me how helpful ppl on this forum are - other forums just love abusing you for asking stupid questions - thank you all

Izz
04-01-2009, 10:51 PM
I went with a dual boot setup. Vista for ****in about and XP for audio stuff.
Cant beat the minimum XP driver setup, runs super quick and solid.

ORIS
04-01-2009, 11:54 PM
I went with a dual boot setup. Vista for ****in about and XP for audio stuff.
Cant beat the minimum XP driver setup, runs super quick and solid.

Always an option, I used to run a dual boot setup on my laptop but just kinda ended up using vista all of the time.

Jay Pace
05-01-2009, 03:30 AM
I loathe vista

I'm yet to see one tangible benefit over a previously rock solid fast loading optimised XP setup.

After I'd turned off the various flashy graphics, user account control and other crap I didn't want with vista, I had an OS that looked like XP but functioned worse, with heavier load on CPU and RAM. Which sucked.

If you've got RAM and CPU to spare fair enough, personally I'd just reinstall XP over Vista though.

RDR
05-01-2009, 07:43 AM
I loathe vista

I'm yet to see one tangible benefit over a previously rock solid fast loading optimised XP setup.

After I'd turned off the various flashy graphics, user account control and other crap I didn't want with vista, I had an OS that looked like XP but functioned worse, with heavier load on CPU and RAM. Which sucked.

If you've got RAM and CPU to spare fair enough, personally I'd just reinstall XP over Vista though.

+1

josephjobling
05-01-2009, 05:28 PM
I loathe vista

i have get the new pc and i agree with what you say - had it 3 hours now and have it set to optimum performance yep the same as xp but more hungry - i thankfully got 4 gig ram and it runns nicely - cheers for the help guys

acidsaturation
06-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Can anyone reccomend where might be able to find a decent XP laptop without too much fuss (i.e. me having to take off vista and install XP)

Jay Pace
06-01-2009, 02:36 PM
2nd hand?

Otherwise you might have to specifiy OS free and do it yourself. Only problem being is that laptops often have a zillion drivers and it can get a little fiddly, and sometimes you have to tweak the bios so that you can recognise all the hardware you have.

acidsaturation
06-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Yeh, I kind of thought that may be the case. I knew driver issues would be a main ball ache.

Anyone got opinions on toshiba laptops - seen XP downgrades on toshibas from various places, but a couple of people I know have said they had problems with very slow disk accessing on theirs...

RDR
06-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Why not get a macbook and run bootcamp?

a second hand one isnt going to set you back much and you'll get a rock solid machine.

Jay Pace
06-01-2009, 06:39 PM
macbooks all the way over notebooks

Macs do portable properly.

josephjobling
06-01-2009, 07:33 PM
just a question for a friend - what is a good (or the best) mother board and chip set - cash unlimited

acidsaturation
07-01-2009, 01:11 PM
That is a possibility...

Elvio Neto
08-01-2009, 04:07 AM
i hope you guys are talking about vista 32bits

becouse vista 64 bits it not bad at all! (SP1 versions)

i have dual boot in one partition XP SP3 32bits and in another Vista SP1 64bits (or better i have 4 partitions XP,VISTA,LINUX,and hacked MAC OSX 10.5.6 just for logic 8.0.2)

i dont use the original versions , i build my own with NLITE (for XP) and VLITE (for vista)

just install the nlite , the nlite will scan your CD/DVD and then you can remove and tweak everything you can imagine from vista/xp even make unattended instalations (without asking for serial/activation or nothing else on install or adding new drivers and updates to your cd/dvd)

then you convert the final result to a cd/dvd :)

my windows vista 64 bits SP1 is just 600mb , the performance is amazing!! 64bits systems are another world to the new processors (32 bits systems dont explore the maximum of them)

my XP 32bits SP3 is 200mb only too

80% of the original cd/dvd installs are useless crap and waste alot of pc resources

about people asking for a laptop that support xp , all laptops support xp , theres alot of sites with all drivers for laptops some of them have the drivers available on official website

i already instaled XP in one ACER , one ASUS , one TOSHIBA (all new laptops get by my friends this christmas)

jon connor
09-01-2009, 04:16 PM
just came across this problem today my pal tripple b just got himself a quad core 8 gig ram studio pc , but he has windows exp , so instantly we were alerted to the fact it was only recognising 3 gig ram when it has 8.

unfortunatly he is going to have to format the disk and install vista wot a ball ache after installing all the software and plugs .

nightmare but hey u learn from ya mistakes thats wot this games all about trial and era me thinks.

josephjobling
10-01-2009, 03:51 PM
just came across this problem today my pal tripple b just got himself a quad core 8 gig ram studio pc , but he has windows exp , so instantly we were alerted to the fact it was only recognising 3 gig ram when it has 8.

unfortunatly he is going to have to format the disk and install vista wot a ball ache after installing all the software and plugs .

nightmare but hey u learn from ya mistakes thats wot this games all about trial and era me thinks.

When doing this did you find out how many gig of R.A.M vista recognises

ORIS
10-01-2009, 04:08 PM

128GB iirc.

josephjobling
11-01-2009, 04:36 PM
128GB iirc.

blimey - i can do plenty of upgrading then

aphex_hn
12-01-2009, 12:57 AM
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/9443/windows79146641ft7.png

Elvio Neto
13-01-2009, 10:27 PM
aphex_hn nice picture but i think you must try it

i read alot of beta testers talking very good things about windows 7 , 30% better performance in games , great support for hardware , compatibility with old drivers from win95 win98 XP etc new windows update is amazing too alot of new and discontinued hardware have drivers there , you can format your pc and windows 7 will find and install all drivers for you

looks like vista (have some elements of vista graphic interface) but its faster than xp , even in boot , and only uses 400mb ram , this time microsoft is doing something asked by the comunity , windows 7 is been builded to beat windows XP

i will try it when i have time , i receive windows 7 ultimate and original key from microsoft (in 8 january) but i sell my pc , im building a new one , in the end of this week i will make a intensive test in this new OS

jon connor
14-01-2009, 03:55 PM

no mate i aint been back yet will ask him later we got sum techy dude to come and do it.

278d7e64a374de26f==