PDA

View Full Version : What's on your mix buss?

Milesy
15-01-2009, 05:03 PM
What you all using on your mix buss there?

Mix buss compression first in the chain or last? I am thinking last is better, however... I have not had a chance to play with any other combos yet, as it's a hastle patching my inputs and outputs of my soundcard for mixing plugs with outboard hardware.

rhythmtech
15-01-2009, 05:10 PM
mcdsp analog channel or waves ssl depending on what the track needs

The_Laughing_Man
15-01-2009, 06:11 PM
sometimes nothing.
as I never use templates, I think it`s unhealthy.

If needed I`ll use a sonalksis TBK1 as a high pass to cut the lows.

When producing for vinyl I use Otium FX basslane to mono the bass.

depending on the tune I might add a little compression for pump, no more than 3db GR, if so I`ll use the manley slam or api 2500 from my Liquid Mix, and some Massive Passive EQ.

Jay Pace
15-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Sometimes a compressor on the master if I want to play about with the kick and how it affects the compression.

The_Laughing_Man
16-01-2009, 03:16 AM
Oh, the only thing I use regularly is the Sonalksis FreeG set on VU
it gives a good guide to apparent loudness in the way that ears percieve it

Synesthetic State
16-01-2009, 09:12 AM
ozone

BloodStar
16-01-2009, 09:15 AM
nothing

Siege
16-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Zilch

rhythmtech
16-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Oh, the only thing I use regularly is the Sonalksis FreeG set on VU
it gives a good guide to apparent loudness in the way that ears percieve it

only just discovered that the free g can be set to VU by clicking on the logo.

too late, i'd already bought "raw materials software PPMULATOR"

http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/images/meters.gif

PPMulator+ is designed to closely-follow the ballistics of mono, stereo, mid-side (MS) and surround (5.1) PPM meters (conforming to IEC 268-10/DIN 45406) and has a number of built-in additional features, including various display style options and a highly-useful Peak Logging process which logs all peaks/overloads against the timecode in the host application where they occurred.

not too shabby though - only cost £49

judas_beast
16-01-2009, 02:05 PM
**** all

Milesy
16-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Cheers folks. I am not really talking mastering specific stuff here. Just stuff to actually make the mix cleaner and tighter rather than add any radical processing.

Maybe a little valve distortion to add a little analogue warmth that digital production looses :)

2 Buss compression to glue the elements together and minimise the actual compression needed on the individual elements.

The_Laughing_Man
16-01-2009, 05:38 PM
only just discovered that the free g can be set to VU by clicking on the logo.

too late, i'd already bought "raw materials software PPMULATOR"

http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/images/meters.gif

not too shabby though - only cost £49

Yeah I got the roger nichols RNDigital Metering Suite when buying my new mastering tools, as it came in with the deal.
Ridiculous amount of meters.

Then I found out all the various optionsthe FreeG had in the setup

Doh!!!

The_Laughing_Man
16-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Cheers folks. I am not really talking mastering specific stuff here. Just stuff to actually make the mix cleaner and tighter rather than add any radical processing.

Maybe a little valve distortion to add a little analogue warmth that digital production looses :)

2 Buss compression to glue the elements together and minimise the actual compression needed on the individual elements.

I wouldn`t stick any valve distortion over your outputs.
Not unless it is actual valves.
All the plugins I know of so far are too messy and don`t respond like valves.

josephjobling
16-01-2009, 07:47 PM
I wouldn`t stick any valve distortion over your outputs.
Not unless it is actual valves.
All the plugins I know of so far are too messy and don`t respond like valves.
Nope - your dead right - did a little experiment and the only way to get thet valve sound is to use a valve - all the emulators sound nothing like

josephjobling
16-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah I got the roger nichols RNDigital Metering Suite when buying my new mastering tools, as it came in with the deal.
Ridiculous amount of meters.

Then I found out all the various optionsthe FreeG had in the setup

Doh!!!
hmmm - i didn't know the free g had different meters - doh! shows i should pay attention - mind you i know now

Milesy
16-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Charles Dye pro engineer uses a valve plugin on all his outputs pretty much.

Mindful
21-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Waves Q10 with a 31Hz hp followed by waves paz

DannyBlack
21-01-2009, 12:09 AM
Generally nowt. Compressor if I want to **** a specific sound up.

Milesy
26-01-2009, 03:10 PM
At the moment I use a Drawmer 1968 Valve compressor on my master buss. It is by default a soft knee / low ratio (2:1 compressor), and is not intended to totally smash up the sound. It is transparant and it just glues the mix together more. Using only maybe 5db of gain reduction on it.

rhythmtech
26-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Drawmer 1968

sweetness.

Milesy
26-01-2009, 04:20 PM
I want an API 2500 and distressor as well lol!!!! Want a Kidney? :)

The_Laughing_Man
26-01-2009, 06:34 PM
At the moment I use a Drawmer 1968 Valve compressor on my master buss. It is by default a soft knee / low ratio (2:1 compressor), and is not intended to totally smash up the sound. It is transparant and it just glues the mix together more. Using only maybe 5db of gain reduction on it.

I`m willing to bet it`s a software version of the 1968 ;)

Milesy
26-01-2009, 08:15 PM
? what ya mean :s

rhythmtech
26-01-2009, 11:08 PM
I`m willing to bet it`s a software version of the 1968 ;)

why?

The_Laughing_Man
26-01-2009, 11:48 PM
why?

Well, apart from me being cynical to the Nth degree, most people who talk about the drawmer 1960/68/69 yap about the software versions, and don`t seem to know much about the original application of them.

Very few people would stick em over the master buss, they are pretty sketchy compressors really, good for bass, limited use on vocals, but way too spikey for a mix buss, mostly.

However, if I am being an ass, I apologise.
My cynical circuits are on high gain this january.

The_Laughing_Man
27-01-2009, 12:00 AM
However, if your Milsey from Glasgow I met at Refresh? then I take back all cynicism, and you can owe me a slap next time I`m in scotland.

Milesy
27-01-2009, 12:34 AM
Well, apart from me being cynical to the Nth degree, most people who talk about the drawmer 1960/68/69 yap about the software versions, and don`t seem to know much about the original application of them.

Very few people would stick em over the master buss, they are pretty sketchy compressors really, good for bass, limited use on vocals, but way too spikey for a mix buss, mostly.

However, if I am being an ass, I apologise.
My cynical circuits are on high gain this january.

The 1968 is pretty designed for the mix buss. It is used by many many pro studios. I disagree about it being spikey. It is a very transparant compressor. It gives a little life, but does not colour the sound in the same way as a API 2500 or Distressor.

I am using the hardware... as far as I am aware.. I have never seen a software emulation of it?

Any yeah Refresh was a haunt of mine...... Who are you lol?

rhythmtech
27-01-2009, 07:21 AM
was using a 1968 yesterday in college and i have to say it was quite transparent. didnt use it on the final mix as it didnt really get the sound we wanted (old school rock). think we changed it for a stereo pair of LA-Audio's.

i didnt know there was a software version available either? be interesting to here it. anyone know who makes it?

Milesy
27-01-2009, 09:48 AM
It has the "big switch" as well meaning it doesnt touch the lower frequencies letting you tame the high end and harmonics without loosing your punch.

stjohn
27-01-2009, 03:36 PM
i love switches.

they always make everything sound brilliant.

BloodStar
27-01-2009, 05:54 PM
i love switches.

they always make everything sound brilliant.

hahaha. knobs and switches,.
yeah the hw drawmer look ace. few days ago i was drooling when looking at Vari MU, Crane Song, Distressors and other beasts.

anyway 5 dBs GR over the master buss just for glueing the things seems to be way too much.

The_Laughing_Man
27-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Did I mention colour?

It`s just too swoopy for mix bus compression.

Never been to a decent studio and seen one over the mix bus myself.

Distressors are ok, but the reality of them is starting to come to light I think.
Crane song all the way.

Milesy
27-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Join the Gear Slutz forum..... lot of pros live on there.

You never said who you were by the way?

The_Laughing_Man
27-01-2009, 07:53 PM
nah, Gear Slutz is a terrible place.
Mostly idiots in there.

I might be DB

278d7e64a374de26f==