PDA

View Full Version : DJ'ing with ableton & decks

Winds
18-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Ive been interested in using ableton as a 3rd deck and effects. Im just wondering does anyone on the board use ableton like that? I dont want to cross over to ableton only, just use it as a 3rd deck, and want to know if this can be done?

I wasnt sure if there would be syncing problems with ableton. Obviously you can match your decks speed to ableton, but when mixing from a deck into ableton can you speed up/slow down or nudge it to sync with your deck?

Thanks!

rhythmtech
18-01-2009, 03:08 PM
its bloody hard, ive done it with chris liberator in cork and it nearly drove us demented!!

but it can be done. you'll need to set up your midi controller to map to abletons tempo and nudge features. when setting up for tempo make sure the control is at the highest resolution possible so you can fine tune.

for added vinyl style mixing, set your track warp to "repitch"

djfilthmonger
18-01-2009, 04:01 PM
i did it once with just one deck and ableton. I have a djm 600 so its handy having the beat counter. I found when ur ready to start the ableton to match with the record keep tapping on the play till beat matchs abit of pratice and I was wrking away . dont do it much anymore

Barely Human
18-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Done it a few times with the mouse. Get to rougly the right speed with ableton, then fine tune with the turntable aready playing.

Winds
19-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Think ill give it a miss for now...was just looking for something extra to add to the decks....doesnt sound like it works very well with how I want to use it.

Thanks for the replies!

Patrick DSP
19-01-2009, 08:39 PM
i've used this a few times when performing a dj vs live pa gigs...
http://www.redsound.com/products/soundbitemicro

trick is to have a dj that knows how to use it as well. Some are just technically retarded. I guess that's why they only dj.

Winds
19-01-2009, 09:17 PM
i've used this a few times when performing a dj vs live pa gigs...
http://www.redsound.com/products/soundbitemicro

How accurate is it? Would i wire that up between the mixer and ableton, and it would sync ableton to the BPM of the deck? Sounds interesting.....thanks mate.

Patrick DSP
19-01-2009, 09:28 PM
How accurate is it? Would i wire that up between the mixer and ableton, and it would sync ableton to the BPM of the deck? Sounds interesting.....thanks mate.

it works like all the other looping products they make. but it listens to the audio from the decks and generates a midi clock for ableton to be slave to. it's pretty decent timing (of course it depends on the records you play) but add the nudge buttons in ableton and bob's your uncle. just don't cue it up to listen to abelton's audio outs, otherwise you'll get something like a feedback loop and then the timing does some pretty crazy overcompensating.

ps - redsound sells them through ebay as well at 1/2 price most of the time.

Winds
19-01-2009, 10:13 PM
wicked, thanks for the info!

278d7e64a374de26f==