PDA

View Full Version : Internet and local sounds

SlavikSvensk
28-01-2009, 05:58 PM
think detroit techno, london acid, the cologne sound, etc. used to be the order of the day, though many if not all of these categories were internally diverse (carl craig and jeff mills can't really be said to produce the same kind of techno, e.g.). but there were some general attirbutes of techno (and other forms of electronic dance music) coming out of specific places that means you can often talk about coherent local sounds or scenes.

with the expansion of the internet and the instantaneousness of things, can you really even talk about local scenes producing identifiable local sounds anymore?

if so, how have they changed as a result? if not, how is that impacing the state of techno generally?

davethedrummer
28-01-2009, 07:40 PM
I think you can
theres the "berlin" sound for the minimal
you've still go the naples sound from carola and gaetano and those guys
london acid is still doing it's thing
uk techno still has BMB and co.

I know what you mean though
It's all just a melting pot these days isn't it?
but I still think it's a geographical thing too

hard techno from ex yugoslavia and around there
that really has it's own sound now
oddesa soundfreaks, concrete djs, mika, mita etc.....

that kind of techno doesn't work in other places
It' depends where you are what you play
like schranz in spain is great, but in australia it's too hard for most for example.

djfilthmonger
28-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Swedish techno i always found has a sound of its own also. the make up sounding minimal but kicking at the same time and Belgian techno i cud spot a mile away, but I suppose producers are really pushing boundaries nowadays . i cud imagine after doing the same for so long they get bored and want to push themselves to the limits. which is definitely a good thing . but personally i think rock music should have stayed the same as it was in the 70's gwan the classic rock!

Jay Pace
29-01-2009, 01:30 AM
cool thread.
I think a handful of talented high profile peoples end up defining the sound.
A few artists and a club night and you get "the birmingham sound"
Its a bit misleading though
Whats the london sound? Acid? Grime? Dubstep? Jungle?

SlavikSvensk
29-01-2009, 01:57 AM
well, london always has been a mecca of sorts for electronic music. but while there may not be a "london sound," there are "london scenes" reflecting sounds specifically emanating from london.

i'm not trying to argue that this kind of thing is no more. actually i'm not trying to argue anything. i'm asking if variation by locality is decreasing, and if so, what would that mean for techno and its future?

jon connor
29-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Swedish techno i always found has a sound of its own also. the make up sounding minimal but kicking at the same time and Belgian techno i cud spot a mile away, but I suppose producers are really pushing boundaries nowadays . i cud imagine after doing the same for so long they get bored and want to push themselves to the limits. which is definitely a good thing . but personally i think rock music should have stayed the same as it was in the 70's gwan the classic rock!

yea agreeedddd! man very distinctive clever stuff!

djfilthmonger
29-01-2009, 03:02 PM
yea agreeedddd! man very distinctive clever stuff!

All swedish stuff use to drive mental back in the day . loved it . now its gone a bit to minimal for my liking but still its ok

jon connor
29-01-2009, 03:36 PM
enter 1 of the greatest men to rock your dancefloors mhonolink I FUKIN LOVE YOU! but u dont make that flying stuff nomore gutted!

also HENRICK B

LARS KLIEN

ADAM BEYER, LENK

I COULD GO ON THEM WERE THE DAYS AND DO YOU NO WOT ? play any of there old tracks now and they dont sound dated , i used to call this stuff magic music because its very special.

back on topic also would like to point out the east european sound

UMEK for instance i always love the dark sounds they come up with very clever stuff i think i producer to look out for is OGI he seems to be carrying on the tradittion , as with a lot of others concrete djz etc.

then the ITALIAN sound now then completly diffrent again straight away you will notice the kick drum and bassline, compressed and diffrent more round and fat, although there aint many hard techno producers left coming out of italy, they have carryied there sound into minimal , and still you will find the same ingreedients.

then german stuff solid , clean and very instinctive , pioneers such as andreas kreamer, kay d smith , alex k klatz , futuristic stuff far to ahead for its time.

then the other side of germany with the minimal stuff etc very dstinctive sound,
anyway i could go on but it is nice that each country and areas seem to have there own signiture sound cool!

The_Laughing_Man
29-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Well, I think it`s healthy
Techno got so compartmentalised in the early 2000`s with unimaginative Dj`s and producers only playing or making one specific sound.

The information explosion encourages diversity

good good good.

djfilthmonger
30-01-2009, 12:36 AM
enter 1 of the greatest men to rock your dancefloors mhonolink I FUKIN LOVE YOU! but u dont make that flying stuff nomore gutted!

also HENRICK B

LARS KLIEN

ADAM BEYER, LENK

I COULD GO ON THEM WERE THE DAYS AND DO YOU NO WOT ? play any of there old tracks now and they dont sound dated , i used to call this stuff magic music because its very special.

back on topic also would like to point out the east european sound

UMEK for instance i always love the dark sounds they come up with very clever stuff i think i producer to look out for is OGI he seems to be carrying on the tradittion , as with a lot of others concrete djz etc.

then the ITALIAN sound now then completly diffrent again straight away you will notice the kick drum and bassline, compressed and diffrent more round and fat, although there aint many hard techno producers left coming out of italy, they have carryied there sound into minimal , and still you will find the same ingreedients.

then german stuff solid , clean and very instinctive , pioneers such as andreas kreamer, kay d smith , alex k klatz , futuristic stuff far to ahead for its time.

then the other side of germany with the minimal stuff etc very dstinctive sound,
anyway i could go on but it is nice that each country and areas seem to have there own signiture sound cool!

Danilo Vigorito was always an itailian producer that i liked over the last few years .

jon connor
30-01-2009, 03:33 PM
yep very good but back on topic i do think a lot of styles have now been fused together , because of the influences we have had from diffrent countrys over the years a healthy thing i say but there is always somthing new around the corner thats wots great about techno.

jon connor
30-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Danilo Vigorito was always an itailian producer that i liked over the last few years .

check out my friend maxvu stuff you may like this!
http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/328551-01.htm

278d7e64a374de26f==