PDA

View Full Version : taking risks

gunjack
30-01-2009, 01:39 AM
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=160369180&blogID=467214431

ben sims playing dubs y'all!!!!

gj

stjohn
30-01-2009, 05:31 AM
its hardly risky... when its probly one of the most popular styles of music in his home city! it seems to be quite fashionable now to make dub stuff!
me included :D

nice chart tho

MITA
30-01-2009, 07:33 AM
dubsteppy wagon lolz

djfilthmonger
30-01-2009, 09:05 AM
its hardly risky... when its probly one of the most popular styles of music in his home city! it seems to be quite fashionable now to make dub stuff!
me included :D

nice chart tho

agreed, I love my Dub Step but I dont think I would mix it myself. The way I look at things like this is that Ben Sims will bring Dubstep to a different level. boo yah bring it on!

stjohn
30-01-2009, 09:23 AM
agreed, I love my Dub Step but I dont think I would mix it myself. The way I look at things like this is that Ben Sims will bring Dubstep to a different level. boo yah bring it on!

i like the idea of a middle ground of dubstep/dub-techno/funky techno/industrial. its kinda what im after for my productions anyway.

im not sure about sims doing anything new with it, as he hasnt really been up to much production wise. he was reluctant to get this new Token together afaik.

anywho i kinda find it funny, that alot of producers are going the dubstep route, and have never really showed flavours of it before, to my knowledge anyway. its kinda like "oh is this the new thing? right so.... wheres those raggae samples i have?"

The_Laughing_Man
30-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Yep, wagon jumping is happening, nowt wrong with dubstep though, been playing it live for a couple a years myself.

stjohn
30-01-2009, 09:34 AM
not at all. im a confessed wagon jumper myself :)
its not really a conscious act of wagon-jumping really most times. not like the whole mnml parade. but i think in these transition times its important to put a new reflection on existing styles.

in fairness, altho i wasnt mad on the raggae samples, Gunjack's new 'Consume' did just that, with a whopper release of techstep (oh no, not another name). and to me thats important, take whats there, and what sounds good, chew it up and spit it out in a new form! this is how the new wave starts.

to echo the OP, its about taking risks... i just think there could be more risk taking everywhere!! if major risks are not taken, f*** all good will come about of all this crossover. what does surgeon have on his t-shirt again??
something about mediocrity? edit :: Constant Shallowness Leads To Evil.

djfilthmonger
30-01-2009, 09:41 AM
i know the feelin usually i dont jump on the wagon, but some dubstep and some fidgit house have presauded me recently.

Prole
30-01-2009, 12:00 PM
All Hail the mighty Jah Scoop.

Loved his Highwire releases. The basslines get crowds rockin, every time

The_Laughing_Man
30-01-2009, 02:10 PM
All Hail the mighty Jah Scoop.

Loved his Highwire releases. The basslines get crowds rockin, every time

what basslines? I remember those tunes just being guy maccaffer sub rumble

MITA
30-01-2009, 02:32 PM
haha..bit better than Guy

gunjack
30-01-2009, 02:32 PM
the dub people are jumping on the techno wagon, the most popular stuff in dub just now sounds like detroit techno!!! as far as i know, dean rodell and myself were the first from the techno side to market our hybrid projects to dub audiences....

surgeon been playing dubstep for years but have never heard a proper surgeon dub on wax....

anyway i have been making 140bpm half/double time dubs (and straight dub music, cumbia dubs etc) for years, people are finally paying attention because it is "in"

f4ck it who am i to complain????

i found i am just selling the music i have been making all along to a new ("DUBSTEP") public.

...and it is so nice to get some of my catalog on vinyl which is not pure 4x4 or off beat techno....

one more thing, alot of the "big" dub names are coming out of the ashes of drum and bass and have no real connection to dub or THE YARD

gwaaaaan

GJ

The_Laughing_Man
30-01-2009, 03:43 PM
I dunno, we`ve had dubstep in london forever now, if anything it`s still dominated by drum and bass and garage/grime throwback sounds.
I love it to bits but there`s nothing new or innovative going on, I`ve not really heard anything particularly groundbreaking happen in dubstep since about 2 years ago, not that it matters, I love proper dubstep regardless of innovation or not, people are just discovering something now that has actually been around for a while now.
Slow on the uptake, it`s not cutting edge, although I`m sure something very new and fresh will crop up soon. Who knows what it will be.

The Overfiend
30-01-2009, 05:18 PM
At least good music is being shared with all, period.
Nah mean.

SlavikSvensk
30-01-2009, 05:32 PM
the dub people are jumping on the techno wagon, the most popular stuff in dub just now sounds like detroit techno!!!

haven't really gotten into the "neo-dnb" dubstep stuff, but this sounds intriguing...

gunjack
30-01-2009, 09:02 PM
I`m sure something very new and fresh will crop up soon. Who knows what it will be.

ya man there are folks out here trying.

gunjack
30-01-2009, 09:03 PM
haven't really gotten into the "neo-dnb" dubstep stuff, but this sounds intriguing...

check out pinch, martyn, 2562 etc it is great music, techno/dubstep/what the **** ever just good shit.

gunjack
30-01-2009, 09:04 PM
people are just discovering something now that has actually been around for a while now.

DarkYoung
31-01-2009, 11:04 AM
i know the feelin usually i dont jump on the wagon, but some dubstep and some fidgit house have presauded me recently.

dude could you send me a sample of this 'fidget' music?

DarkYoung
31-01-2009, 11:05 AM

ignore the laughing man dude. local troll.

MITA
31-01-2009, 11:38 AM
trolls are special to people

Mindful
31-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Yeah Steve.. Get back under your bridge and take the truth with you :D

DarkYoung
31-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Yeah Steve.. Get back under your bridge and take the truth with you :D

eh? so the laughing man is steve = DB?

how come he's got two usernames? i thought each member could only have one?

MITA
31-01-2009, 11:58 AM
no hes not.LM is a troll!

Darkmode
31-01-2009, 12:16 PM

Fidget House is another stupid fad made up by the music media it's crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The_Laughing_Man
31-01-2009, 01:26 PM
ignore the laughing man dude. local troll.

As if you know Jack about the dubstep scene.
You don`t even like it.
The only time I go clubbing outside of gigs is to dubstep events in london.
I think my finger is at least on the same arm as the pulse.

Your still searching the floor for a warm body.

djfilthmonger
31-01-2009, 02:25 PM

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=193637879

Check out the fidget house mix on Alex Calver's site. i like it because its unpredictable and its different. when at a party where my mates not mad about techno i get them to check this out usually have common grounds as they like house and electro

djfilthmonger
31-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Fidget House is another stupid fad made up by the music media it's crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wait fidget house isn't cool anymore . Why didn't anybody let me know. i feel like such a fool now

really do fad or not it sounds fresh and gets me dancing.

MITA
31-01-2009, 03:10 PM
BOI!

DarkYoung
31-01-2009, 04:43 PM
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=193637879

Check out the fidget house mix on Alex Calver's site. i like it because its unpredictable and its different. when at a party where my mates not mad about techno i get them to check this out usually have common grounds as they like house and electro

well its popular with the young uns round here.

DarkYoung
31-01-2009, 04:44 PM
As if you know Jack about the dubstep scene.
You don`t even like it.
The only time I go clubbing outside of gigs is to dubstep events in london.
I think my finger is at least on the same arm as the pulse.

of course i know about the dub-step scene dude.
yeah your right i don't like it.
i sitll have a macabre interest in it though.

DannyBlack
31-01-2009, 07:10 PM
I love mixing Arms and Audio Assaults with Dubstep. Works splendidly.

stjohn
31-01-2009, 07:37 PM
theres a crowd of promoters here in dublin, Kaboogie! who represent the future of good musc for me. breaks/mashup/dubstep/techno/electro... all in the one night... alot of the time all by one DJ/Act. the punters are all sexy people with piercings and tatoos and good attitudes :D and theres no ego, just good fun.

more o dat s'il vous plait

long live the troll!!
http://kaboogie.net/music.php

DannyBlack
31-01-2009, 07:42 PM
I don't understand the term jumping on the bandwagon. I mean, if you like music that just so happens to be the flavour of the moment and you like to play, why should you be called a bandwagon jumper?

I have loved it for a couple of years, never knew what it was until recently (my dubstep thread) and only every now and then play it- does it make me a bandwagon jumper?

djfilthmonger
31-01-2009, 08:09 PM
I don't understand the term jumping on the bandwagon. I mean, if you like music that just so happens to be the flavour of the moment and you like to play, why should you be called a bandwagon jumper?

I have loved it for a couple of years, never knew what it was until recently (my dubstep thread) and only every now and then play it- does it make me a bandwagon jumper?

ur right. if u like it u like and shudnt have to justify urself. and u shudnt be classed as one of them .

also i dont understand how some one can call a style of music crap . it doesnt make sense. Is it because the beats are not arranged in time or that the samples are too loud on a certain parts . okay if some one got a load of samples and threw them together in no particular order or volume. everything was off that wud be crap . but if some sat there arranged everything perfectly and really concentrated on the levels . but u didnt like the stlye of the music how the hell is it crap?? just becoz u dont like sumtin it doesnt mean its crap. i really not in to house and i have a few mates that love it and make it and I try give construtive critism rather than saying . forget about it mate all house is crap

DannyBlack
31-01-2009, 08:20 PM
House is crap though. :lol:

Kidding, but yeah mate I agree right there.

SlavikSvensk
31-01-2009, 09:30 PM
check out pinch, martyn, 2562 etc it is great music, techno/dubstep/what the **** ever just good shit.

really digging martyn..def does remind me of the jazzier side of detroit. thanks for the rec!

DannyBlack
01-02-2009, 04:58 AM
for you slav
a gorgeous track.
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=z2BEP8E9Q34

Prole
01-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Check out Potty Mouth for fidget

MITA
01-02-2009, 11:49 AM
whats fidget term for?

The_Laughing_Man
01-02-2009, 01:33 PM
I see band wagon jumping as when someone see`s latest trend, abandons all they were doing before, and just follows the herd on the latest trend.
While I believe in diversity and embracing change, I think in some cases, when people do this, it seems to be a lack of passion and depth, where they skate in the wake of whatever trend is happening, rather than actively contribute or create.

MITA
01-02-2009, 01:38 PM
someone help me with the term fidget u use in this topic ffs?

Siege
01-02-2009, 01:47 PM
someone help me with the term fidget u use in this topic ffs?

another stupid fckin name created for pigeon holing.

DannyBlack
01-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Fidget house is the hyper trendy electro house kind of stuff that Calvertron is putting out. I'm not a fan myself, but it is quite popular.

MITA
01-02-2009, 05:45 PM
fidget term sounds awful

like frgid lol

DannyBlack
01-02-2009, 06:13 PM
:lol:

example of said fidget house:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=e5_KwXseXc0

gunjack
01-02-2009, 06:47 PM
really digging martyn..def does remind me of the jazzier side of detroit. thanks for the rec!

yea man glad to be able to rec you something you hadn't heard yet!

gunjack
01-02-2009, 06:49 PM

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=e5_KwXseXc0

i see! shitty noodling that leads absolutely nowhere!!!!

gunjack
01-02-2009, 06:54 PM
I see band wagon jumping as when someone see`s latest trend, abandons all they were doing before, and just follows the herd on the latest trend.
While I believe in diversity and embracing change, I think in some cases, when people do this, it seems to be a lack of passion and depth, where they skate in the wake of whatever trend is happening, rather than actively contribute or create.

pretty coherent point for a "troll"

djfilthmonger
01-02-2009, 07:06 PM
fidget term sounds awful

like frgid lol

its a durty little word isn't it .

MITA
01-02-2009, 09:28 PM
what a crap dis track on video

mindless & dum

can ppl make stupider stuff than this
i mean,i know they can, just,universe bless me not to hear bigger crap than this

i want not to come across this kinda stuff at any point in my existance

fcuk frigid fidget go away

Siege
01-02-2009, 10:28 PM
sounds like all the other commercial electro house stuff,......why name it fidget? lol
hey, give it a new name after a couple of years,and its a new style?

DannyBlack
01-02-2009, 10:32 PM
I heard a great name for a new genre the other night, I nearly shat myself with laughing so hard... wait for it.....

Vocal Intensive Experimental Techno.

MITA
01-02-2009, 10:54 PM
was this thread about taking risks was it?
haha its better w/o techno bit Danny

DannyBlack
01-02-2009, 11:01 PM
hahaha I suppose this kind of thread/reaction is the result of taking said risks really.

Causing a stir on t'internets :lol:

gunjack
02-02-2009, 12:09 PM
risks. not stupid for stupid's sake. fidget sux.

The_Laughing_Man
02-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Fidget house just sounds like very commercial electro house that the lager drinking chav boys would love
Or am I missing something?

djfilthmonger
02-02-2009, 12:35 PM
risks. not stupid for stupid's sake. fidget sux.

yeah in your opinion, but i like it , not mad on the name do

gunjack
02-02-2009, 12:52 PM
very commercial electro house that the FIDGETY lager drinking chav boys would love

fixed.

stjohn
02-02-2009, 01:01 PM

wau! let me just say what a class tune. it just kept on building and building, and then BAM. wau! thnx 4 dat

Siege
02-02-2009, 01:25 PM
wau! let me just say what a class tune. it just kept on building and building, and then BAM. wau! thnx 4 dat

you serious Rory??

beat_theory
02-02-2009, 02:25 PM
fidg·et (fjt)
v. fidg·et·ed, fidg·et·ing, fidg·ets
v.intr.
1. To behave or move nervously or restlessly.
2. To play or fuss; fiddle: He fidgeted with his notes while lecturing.
v.tr.
To cause to behave or move nervously or restlessly.
n.
1. A condition of restlessness as manifested by nervous movements. Often used in the plural with the.
2. One that fidgets.

That track and this definition seems to match. I could only listen for a couple of minutes before getting all figety and turned it off. :P

djfilthmonger
02-02-2009, 02:36 PM
So anyway Ben Sims doing Dubstep. Anyone have any of his Dubstep sets?

Jay Pace
02-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Neil Landstrumm should be getting more props in this thread.

He put dub and techno together way back and did it with style.

Cracking live act.

TechMouse
02-02-2009, 05:13 PM

Cracking live act.

Yeah, I like Neil's dubby stuff.

Surgeon has been working wobbly bits and bobs into his DJ sets for quite a while too.

I've been loving Dubstep for a good 3 or 4 years now. All due respect to Bushby from Digital Distortions, who's been pushing that sound for a good while longer.

tocsin
02-02-2009, 05:16 PM
fidget term sounds awful

like frgid lol

http://www.filmdope.com/Gallery/ActorsB/833-19636.gif

SlavikSvensk
02-02-2009, 05:20 PM

Cracking live act.

there's also a few dubby tracks cari lekebusch did as mr. james barth in the late 1990s.

davethedrummer
02-02-2009, 05:28 PM
sorry, but I didn't like Landstrumms "restaurant of assasins" LP at all.
I thought it was all over the place to be honest, too many things going on
and not enough simple grooves
anyway, I prefer the more reggae /dub orientated stuff.
rather than lots of 808s etc

I did a remix for my old band "back to the planet" recently
it's kind of dubsteppy and kind of mellow too.
check it out here:
www.myspace.com/backtotheplanet
the track's called "starved by ignorance"
it's in the player.

The_Laughing_Man
02-02-2009, 06:06 PM
rather than lots of 808s etc

check it out here:
it's in the player.

That remix is proper Henry
Really well done man.

SlavikSvensk
02-02-2009, 06:10 PM
check it out here:
it's in the player.

very good stuff, dude.

btw...that the band you were in with alex h.?

acidsaturation
02-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Will have a listen when I get a chance (i.e. when my other half is not busily streaming Sabrina the Teenage Witch on her netbook next to me)... But just had a chuckle there about the impromptu gabba kick drum remix we seemed to getting before Back to the Planet at Solfest...

TechMouse
02-02-2009, 09:50 PM
i.e. when my other half is not busily streaming Sabrina the Teenage Witch on her netbook next to me
I recommend headphones.

Or a new girlfriend - whichever is easier.

gunjack
02-02-2009, 11:11 PM
So anyway Ben Sims doing Dubstep. Anyone have any of his Dubstep sets?

yea ben told me today on myspace he is recording a radio show today i dunno if he means the split show or what but said set will include a few dub tunes.

cari lekebusch deffo is a great example of diverse influences and risk taking,

landstrumm has some good stuff on lord for 39 but i dunno i think henry has a good point about there being more potential than substance on restaurant of assasins.........

nice wan on the myspace link D.A.V.E., added!

djfilthmonger
02-02-2009, 11:20 PM
yea ben told me today on myspace he is recording a radio show today i dunno if he means the split show or what but said set will include a few dub tunes.

cari lekebusch deffo is a great example of diverse influences and risk taking,

landstrumm has some good stuff on lord for 39 but i dunno i think henry has a good point about there being more potential than substance on restaurant of assasins.........

nice wan on the myspace link D.A.V.E., added!

ah good stuff. will keep an ear out

Concrete Djz
04-02-2009, 05:22 PM
This is the proper stuff u wanna call hard techno dub hybrid!

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63191

2 tracks on there that are midnblowing.

gunjack
06-02-2009, 10:14 PM
downloading. will have a listen!

GJ

qUE
06-02-2009, 10:31 PM

Cracking live act.

He calls it Grime afaik and it seems all the legendary Techno peeps have moved from banging Techno to one genre or another. It all seems a bit pipe and slippers to me

gunjack
07-02-2009, 01:37 AM
see what happens is that folks get bored of doing the same thing over and over.

DarkYoung
10-02-2009, 05:53 PM
see what happens is that folks get bored of doing the same thing over and over.

like gangster and guns themed techno?

gunjack
10-02-2009, 06:50 PM
exactly. you see how long that lasted.

278d7e64a374de26f==