PDA

View Full Version : Releasing on online stores

teknonotice
30-01-2009, 01:08 PM
So Im new to digital distribution for the techno genre..

where is the best place to sell online MP3 downloads?

We have access into Itunes, amazon and some of the bigger stores...chemical UK etc..My good friend uses Beatport but they want exclusive artists and their pay our is shite.

Dont get me wrong we arent in it for the cash, and on that basis dont wanna generate comms for external sites who dont really do so much.

thoughts, and recomendations please..

thanks

Chris

Jay Pace
30-01-2009, 01:23 PM
people won't buy your stuff just because its there, so in honesty its unlikely someone will be browsing itunes or amazon, come across your stuff and buy it.

I'd pick a few careful partners and work hard at promoting your relationship with them. Trackit down, juno, beatport - these are all portals that people use regularly to buy a certain type of music.

All of them have a recommendation element that can help drive sales. "users who bought this also bought this" etc etc. Ultimately nobody is going to buy your records without listening to them first, so you need some way of making people want to listen.

Showing up your stuff in relevant portals, with promotion and recommendation in relevant channels should be your best bet.

And personally, I'd forget about the money side of things. Beatport might give you fractionally less, but you're not going to get rich anyway. Each download from ANY portal gives you someone who could recommend you to other people, who may go on to buy your stuff.

You want to get heard by as many people as possible. Money will come as a consequence of being well known and well liked, not by being well protected.

my 2 cents mate

RDR
30-01-2009, 01:24 PM
You could try using ithinkmusic.com or DigitalTunes.net digitaltunes works VERY well with Soundcloud.com

Juno are easy to get with and TID too.

MITA
30-01-2009, 02:36 PM
take EPM distribution
and get on promoting

teknonotice
30-01-2009, 03:07 PM
ok thanks guys, all help much appreciated.

So the question - which store pays the most comms?

teknonotice
30-01-2009, 03:15 PM
EPM looks interesting - hpow does it work - do you know how quickly they get your tracks online to the many stores they are connected to?

what about cost? do they charge? what do they pay out

many thanks fpor any pointers.

chris

take EPM distribution
and get on promoting

MITA
30-01-2009, 03:27 PM
http://www.epm-music.com/company-profile.html

278d7e64a374de26f==