PDA

View Full Version : THE PRODIGY album ?

jon connor
30-01-2009, 04:05 PM
hey was thinking many of you here are influenced and are fans of the prodigy just like most techno artists so, wots your take on the album ?

i really love it , its back to wot prodigy do best and i think its brilliant.

i do also feel tho wot promted this new album name ?

mabey liam howlet just got pissed with all the bootleg traxx with his worx in , e.g pendulum etc ?

i do like the name of the album also Invaders Must Die hahahahahahahah!

it kind of spells out we are the daddys dont mess with us ?

liam howlett is a genius just thought i would say it.

djfilthmonger
30-01-2009, 04:31 PM
i ****in love prodigy there savage, have not heard there new album, experiance is always my fav altough i like them all

Siege
30-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Not heard the new album, have to check it out........bought the last 1 on vinyl, wasnt that impressed. Few good trks on it but that was it.

new one surley gotta be better?

davethedrummer
30-01-2009, 08:27 PM
liked the last one
will give this a listen, didn't even know there was a new album to be honest
that just shows how many music mags i don't read

by the way some of us are writing for a new mag
but it's strange that theres nothing up here about it.
perhaps mark wants to keep it up his sleeve.

anyway sod it it's called core
www.core-mag.net

so far we've got some good stuff together

rhythmtech
30-01-2009, 08:30 PM

www.core-mag.net (http://www.core-mag.net)

mark already posted a big thread about it somewhere :lol:

zyclone
Had my hopes up for this album. But it wasn't my cup of tea really. Maybe I have to listen to it a few more times, and then maybe :)

rhythmtech
hey was thinking many of you here are influenced and are fans of the prodigy just like most techno artists so, wots your take on the album ?

i really love it , its back to wot prodigy do best and i think its brilliant.

i do also feel tho wot promted this new album name ?

mabey liam howlet just got pissed with all the bootleg traxx with his worx in , e.g pendulum etc ?

i do like the name of the album also Invaders Must Die hahahahahahahah!

it kind of spells out we are the daddys dont mess with us ?

liam howlett is a genius just thought i would say it.

how have you got it? its not released till 23rd feb?

gunjack
30-01-2009, 09:05 PM
liked the last one
will give this a listen, didn't even know there was a new album to be honest
that just shows how many music mags i don't read

www.core-mag.net

big up the core contributors (ahem)

jon connor
30-01-2009, 09:51 PM
how have you got it? its not released till 23rd feb?

i work at at radio station part time i only have the mp3, looking forward to buying the album dude ive all the rest.

i wish i could get the jpeg or giff of that old album with the picture of the police and a free party either side of a big crevis with only a rope bridge that somone is about to chop with a machete its awsome wanna blow it up and put in me studio awsome illustration of free party versus the state .

jon connor
30-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Not heard the new album, have to check it out........bought the last 1 on vinyl, wasnt that impressed. Few good trks on it but that was it.

new one surley gotta be better?

check out omen i would even start a techno set with this awsome dude, wait for the 500 bootlegs to follow hahahahahahahahh you no it , only problem is i do think the tracks are a little bit short but mabey thats for radio reasons i dont not no could do with streching them out abit me thinks.

tocsin
30-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Has the album been leaked? I only heard one song that was "new" called "warrior dance" or something a few months ago. But, it was camphone footage from a show. However, it was good. See there's a single floating around but haven't seen the album anywhere. Anyways, I do hope it's good. Heard rumors that it's supposed to be a return to a more "Experience" feel which would be fun. But, I'm in no rush to grab it. I really didn't care for the last one at all and didn't end up picking it up.

Numeric
02-02-2009, 11:58 AM
i wouldn't mind givin it a go, used to listen to experience as a kid and loved jilted generation when it was released, fat of the land was shit and the last one was fairly bad too

hope this new one is better

Francisco Scaramanga
02-02-2009, 07:18 PM
i wish i could get the jpeg or giff of that old album with the picture of the police and a free party either side of a big crevis with only a rope bridge that somone is about to chop with a machete its awsome wanna blow it up and put in me studio awsome illustration of free party versus the state .

Pretty cool painting, here is a link on the guys website who did it, but it says he doesent own the rights so cant sell prints:

http://www.lesedwards.com/showpic.php?id=&pid=145

Cant wait to hear this album. I loved the last one, well I love them all really.

jon connor
04-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Pretty cool painting, here is a link on the guys website who did it, but it says he doesent own the rights so cant sell prints:

http://www.lesedwards.com/showpic.php?id=&pid=145

Cant wait to hear this album. I loved the last one, well I love them all really.

WOW thanx man thats must be horible for them because its a great picture i would pay a lot of money for a big full scale print and frame.

jon connor
04-02-2009, 09:38 AM
i bet the origanal is worth a lot of money , and who has it ?

xes
04-02-2009, 09:54 AM
there's still tickets left for their gig at wembly in april. I'm thinking of snapping some up :cool:

jon connor
04-02-2009, 11:06 AM
now thats a day out

force
04-02-2009, 11:12 AM
there's still tickets left for their gig at wembly in april. I'm thinking of snapping some up :cool:

He He
i'm going round Leeroys 2morrow night. Gonna try and blag a couple!

xes
04-02-2009, 01:01 PM
He He

oi,if ya do,get one for me or I won't do your mum up the shitter any more. And she won't like that.

dan the acid man
04-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Off to see them here in Sheffield in April, should be a good night.

Not heard anything off the new album as of yet though.

jon connor
04-02-2009, 07:26 PM
He He

oooooooooooooo! you SNOB! hahahahahahaha! yea get me 1 and while you there make an enquiry about getting a giff or somthing of that picture i really want to blow up and put on my studio wall man. cheers dude!

force
04-02-2009, 07:51 PM
oooooooooooooo! you SNOB! hahahahahahaha! yea get me 1 and while you there make an enquiry about getting a giff or somthing of that picture i really want to blow up and put on my studio wall man. cheers dude!

**** me! I'm gonna have to write a list!

xes
04-02-2009, 10:48 PM
now you know how santa feels. :ruparanoid:

jon connor
05-02-2009, 10:25 PM

ok just the pic then dude hahahaha giff and an autograph and sonthing stolen which i can sell on ebay hahahahaha

HMD
15-02-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm really liking the new album so far.

morbid
16-02-2009, 11:40 AM

yeah..

can I have........

A couple of tickets

A minidisc of unreleased tracks from 92 - 94 period

A pair of baggy combat trousers from the same era

and a signed pair of scary contact lenses

.............................much appreciated mate

dan the acid man
02-03-2009, 12:49 AM
Loving this album, anybody reckon a rave revival is happening ? not that it ever really went away anyway.

Only downside i have is it sounds a little too over compressed, or is it my ears ?

DannyBlack
02-03-2009, 01:33 AM
I didn't like it so much. I mean, I wasn't disgusted. it just didn't touch my special place.

djfilthmonger
02-03-2009, 09:32 AM
i think its awesome got it yesterday . loving track 3 - thunder .

force
02-03-2009, 10:44 AM
It doesn't sound as tho they mean it anymore..

IMO

DannyBlack
02-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Yeah. All the elements are there, but I'm just not getting... it.

Maybe thats the problem, might just be me. I hope it does well for them though!

djfilthmonger
02-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Yeah. All the elements are there, but I'm just not getting... it.

Maybe thats the problem, might just be me. I hope it does well for them though!

id say its just you. i like it. then again a few more listens and Ill really love id say

stjohn
02-03-2009, 04:57 PM
It doesn't sound as tho they mean it anymore..

IMO

yep nail->head

DannyBlack
02-03-2009, 06:04 PM
yep nail->head

blimey. you disliked it so much that it made you put a nail in your head?

eppertheleper
02-03-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm enjoying it. It's not a complete return to their glory days, but that would be impossible. For a trio of 40-year-old raver burnouts who basically had the entire scene they helped create turn on them with a level of hatred usually reserved for traitors of Judas' ilk, it's not bad.

That lead on Omen is straight out of Experience.

tocsin
03-03-2009, 04:05 PM
I've really enjoyed this one a lot too. I really like the last track "Stand Up" a lot. And "Take me to the Hospital" defeinitely has an Experience flavor/influence to it. I think it's a pretty solid album. Should go over pretty well for anyone that likes the Pendulum breaky stuff. Only thing I don't like about it are some of the fairly simple lyrics that get repeated over and over and over. But, that's really it and they don't take away from the whole on all the tracks. They just don't always add anything to it.

clubsynthetic
03-03-2009, 10:02 PM
nothing special...

teknofilth
03-03-2009, 10:11 PM
i think it rocks..to produce 5 albums of electronic music - each slightly different is pretty impressive..
..this one has elements of all the other 4, from the oldskool to the bigbeats to the guitars..a welcome return to form and apart from anything else as someone who has to spend a lot of time in an office listening to commercial radio how refreshing it is to hear a kickass track like Omen come on and blow away all the warbling from Coldplay etc ;-)

jon connor
04-03-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm enjoying it. It's not a complete return to their glory days, but that would be impossible. For a trio of 40-year-old raver burnouts who basically had the entire scene they helped create turn on them with a level of hatred usually reserved for traitors of Judas' ilk, it's not bad.

That lead on Omen is straight out of Experience.

indeed wait for the 500 bootys

aNaLpLeAsEr
06-03-2009, 10:35 AM
I promised myself I wouldn't go near them after the last album. Whats with completely ****ing up the sound to the point of making it un-listenable?

jon connor
06-03-2009, 10:55 AM
I promised myself I wouldn't go near them after the last album. Whats with completely ****ing up the sound to the point of making it un-listenable?

fuk off we talking the prodigy you fukin gimp unlistenable are you off your nut ?

prodigy deserve there fair share of critisism but dont go as far as that we talking one of the most insperational bands thats ever been i will deffend them and also the genius that is liam howlet .

http://www.self-titledmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/prodigy1header.l.jpg

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct04/images/prodigy3mewsdesk.l.jpg

FUKING GENIUS SAY NO MORE! I will fight anyone on this board who say hes not rahhhhhhh! bad day today!

djfilthmonger
06-03-2009, 01:03 PM
fuk off we talking the prodigy you fukin gimp unlistenable are you off your nut ?

prodigy deserve there fair share of critisism but dont go as far as that we talking one of the most insperational bands thats ever been i will deffend them and also the genius that is liam howlet .

FUKING GENIUS SAY NO MORE! I will fight anyone on this board who say hes not rahhhhhhh! bad day today!

Im with you on this mate. Liam Howlet ledger simple as!

Technologic
07-03-2009, 02:05 AM
Im with you on this mate. Liam Howlet ledger simple as!

Blatently.

RDR
07-03-2009, 08:23 AM
1. It sounds like he resurrected the AKAI s2000 sampler.

2. Its about 10 years too late

3. The production isnt amazing (still better than mine)

4. I love this album. Its filthy!!!!

5. Up yours.

gunjack
07-03-2009, 01:13 PM
horrible. crap. really badly done. the production is pristine but the conecpt is NOT what it should be. it sounds like someone trying to use elements of
EXPERIENCE (the first album) and make something halfway between cheesey orlando florida new school breaks and electroclash. REALLY DISAPOINTING. i saw here people saying this was a "return to form" etc BAH get real!!!!
like somebody said earlier, it sounds like they don't mean it anymore.... like the prodigy is doing a dodgy imitation of itself....

REALLY VERY HORRID

gunjack
07-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Its filthy!!!!

hardly. too clean, too generic, too much effort for such a mediocre result......

DannyBlack
07-03-2009, 01:17 PM
3. The production isnt amazing (still better than mine)

:rolleyes: at the risk of sounding like a fanboy.... no it's not. it's good yeah, but not that good.

force
07-03-2009, 01:59 PM
prodigy by numbers..

djfilthmonger
07-03-2009, 01:59 PM
horrible. crap. really badly done. the production is pristine but the conecpt is NOT what it should be. it sounds like someone trying to use elements of
EXPERIENCE (the first album) and make something halfway between cheesey orlando florida new school breaks and electroclash. REALLY DISAPOINTING. i saw here people saying this was a "return to form" etc BAH get real!!!!
like somebody said earlier, it sounds like they don't mean it anymore.... like the prodigy is doing a dodgy imitation of itself....

REALLY VERY HORRID

so what do u mean when u say its crap?

gunjack
07-03-2009, 03:23 PM
i mean that if the prodigy took all the famous prodigy sounds and put them in a blender with a steaming electroclash poo, this is what would come out.

DannyBlack
07-03-2009, 03:43 PM
electroclash.

ew.. nasty word that.

gunjack
07-03-2009, 03:53 PM
yea but tell me that the new prodigy music does not stink of cla$h

DannyBlack
07-03-2009, 04:01 PM
of course it does. But I can understand why they went down that route. Electro clash has a huge appeal at the moment and to make money in the mainstream industry you have to bow down to certain trends.

How else are you going to get trendy cock jockeys like Justice and errol alkan to remix your tunes? :lol:

but in all seriousness, this is the prodigy- legends and the album isn't crap imo, it's just not that great.

DarkYoung
07-03-2009, 04:02 PM
i've got better things to do than listen to prodigy albums.

always prefered Aphex Twin and Eatstatic and FSOL back in the day.

DannyBlack
07-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Im going to say something really out there now, but I really don't like aphex twin that much. He has 2 maybe 3 great tunes, other than that- its a bit "im great, look at me".

*ducks*

djfilthmonger
07-03-2009, 04:33 PM
yea but tell me that the new prodigy music does not stink of cla$h

"The new Prodigy music does not stink of cla$h".

gunjack
07-03-2009, 04:36 PM
predictable as ever mate

gunjack
07-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Electro clash has a huge appeal at the moment ...

huh? fuking electro house/cla$h? maybe 4 or 5 years ago, but even britney spears and madonna are over it by now.

jockeys like Justice and errol alkan...

WHO?

man even the later, makeup wearing, california breaks prodigy stuff was better than this. i do have a lot of respect for liam's talents but this is the WORST example of:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/42/123410200_ca5131fcd8_o.gif

ceedee1
07-03-2009, 05:05 PM
not my cup of tea..sounds too much up pendulum street for my liking

DarkYoung
07-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Im going to say something really out there now, but I really don't like aphex twin that much. He has 2 maybe 3 great tunes, other than that- its a bit "im great, look at me".

*ducks*

oh god yeah your right, most of aphex twin is pretentious shite, i think i had one decent album.

djfilthmonger
07-03-2009, 05:41 PM
predictable as ever mate

well in fairness you did ask. ur negativety on this site is completey predictable cheer up mate.

aNaLpLeAsEr
09-03-2009, 10:32 PM

The album I am talkiing about (Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned ) he didn't even mix, he had Neil Maclellan hold his hand and had to get some one into use PT for him. What a ****ing genius hey!!!

Have you heard that album on CD? it is ****ing awful. Clipped to ****, over compressed piece of shite.

At the end of the day they can't blame the ****ing label for that. They would have had full control. At least HMV let me gave me my money back :)

RDR
09-03-2009, 11:44 PM
hardly. too clean, too generic, too much effort for such a mediocre result......

Dnt agree.

RDR
09-03-2009, 11:48 PM
not my cup of tea..sounds too much up pendulum street for my liking

NAIL+HEAD

this album is there for that reason. The kids in the UK love pendulum. I was talking to andy from pure techno earlier and we both agreed it was because this album is ther for taking out on the road.

CLA$H... probably. but i dont care i love about 5 tunes of this album. and i defy anyone to drop these tunes on a dancefloor and not believe they'll sound great.

davethedrummer
10-03-2009, 12:56 AM

*ducks*

*throws can of piss*

DannyBlack
10-03-2009, 01:35 AM
do you actually have a can of piss to hand? :lol: hey, you're down in our town on the 20th H, you can throw the can of piss at me then.

tocsin
10-03-2009, 04:16 PM

LOL at both the "electroclash" nonsense comparrisson and the joke subjective notion of the Prodigy "not meaning it anymore." I'm hearing more of a Pendulum sound than Le Tigre. I do like how they used some throwback sounds as well, but kept it pretty minimal. See, if they no longer "meant it," why bother with this at all? Why not just fire up some software and do a complete remake of Experience to shut up all the critics who probably don't get it anymore either and sell off the name? I loathed the album before this because I felt like it got too stuck in Hollywoodish sounds. This one isn't that way. It's a solid album that has grown on me rather than turning me off further with every subsequent listen, only to eventually find itself dispatched into a street garbage can from a car window.

jon connor
11-03-2009, 10:36 AM

REALLY VERY HORRID

hahahahahaha hear we go again welcome back mr gunjack

jon connor
11-03-2009, 10:43 AM
predictable as ever mate

bit like you then you fukin tool . heheheheeh calm down before you start im pulling ya plonker bloody hell gunjack you certainly are the king of the STRIKING COMMENT heheheheh

jon connor
11-03-2009, 10:47 AM
The album I am talkiing about (Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned ) he didn't even mix, he had Neil Maclellan hold his hand and had to get some one into use PT for him. What a ****ing genius hey!!!

Have you heard that album on CD? it is ****ing awful. Clipped to ****, over compressed piece of shite.

At the end of the day they can't blame the ****ing label for that. They would have had full control. At least HMV let me gave me my money back :)

good you fukin tool you are obviously sexually frustrated go crack 1 off or somthing , but dont expect me to agree or not defend prodigy when it was they and most in my age catorgory that kicked off the techno electronick sound to us made us look for more etc etc etc etc big fukin word lad PIONEERS

jon connor
11-03-2009, 10:57 AM
This is to all pendulum comments fuk pedulum yea they are are good but dont forget how they got where they are ill tell you fuking prodigy bootlegs thats how , so who is more inportant the pioneers or the bootleging drum and base cross australian band out fit who ripped off prodigy ummmmmmm i no my answer case closed prodigy are awsome liam howlet is a genius god told me.

aNaLpLeAsEr
11-03-2009, 11:44 AM
good you fukin tool you are obviously sexually frustrated go crack 1 off or somthing , but dont expect me to agree or not defend prodigy when it was they and most in my age catorgory that kicked off the techno electronick sound to us made us look for more etc etc etc etc big fukin word lad PIONEERS

They might have been but they aint now. They treated their fans like a bunch of cunts with that album. And apparently some of their fans are exactly that.

gunjack
11-03-2009, 12:57 PM
let's make this real easy so even fans of this album can understand - THE PRODIGY WAS ONCE AHEAD OF THE CURVE, THIS ALBUM SOUNDS LIKE THEY ARE STRUGGLING TO EVEN KEEP UP with what is going on in music....

RDR
11-03-2009, 01:09 PM
let's make this real easy so even fans of this album can understand - THE PRODIGY WAS ONCE AHEAD OF THE CURVE, THIS ALBUM SOUNDS LIKE THEY ARE STRUGGLING TO EVEN KEEP UP with what is going on in music....

its not about that, its about them gearing up for touring again.

DannyBlack
11-03-2009, 01:20 PM
i don't think anyone of us are qualified to call the album shit. not to our particular tastes, those who don't like it that is but not shit. thats just disrespectful.

aNaLpLeAsEr
11-03-2009, 01:32 PM
i don't think anyone of us are qualified to call the album shit. not to our particular tastes, those who don't like it that is but not shit. thats just disrespectful.

That album was disrespectful. Do you have it on CD?

RDR
11-03-2009, 02:38 PM
I enjoyed it...

but thats the key isnt it. Enjoyed.

Each to their own - Im not going to get into arguments about its quality as thats a little bit silly really. Many a good tune played on an old fiddle.

tocsin
11-03-2009, 02:42 PM

And the big question here is, so ****ing what? Do you always have to be "ahead of the curve?" Or is putting out a good album enough? Besides, all too often "ahead of the curve" is a bullshit description anyways by people trying to associate it with themselves. How many other albums are out there right now like this one? Certainly not their greatest album. But, I just don't see what the big issue is with it. It's got 5 solid tracks on it that are fun. Most people into music are a lot more concerned with "fun" or "feel" than "ahead of the curve."

Numeric
11-03-2009, 03:02 PM
And the big question here is, so ****ing what? Do you always have to be "ahead of the curve?" Or is putting out a good album enough? Besides, all too often "ahead of the curve" is a bullshit description anyways by people trying to associate it with themselves. How many other albums are out there right now like this one? Certainly not their greatest album. But, I just don't see what the big issue is with it. It's got 5 solid tracks on it that are fun. Most people into music are a lot more concerned with "fun" or "feel" than "ahead of the curve."

ahead of the curve for me, every time

RDR
11-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Most people into music are a lot more concerned with "fun" or "feel" than "ahead of the curve."

+1

Lets have fun!!!!

Numeric
11-03-2009, 03:22 PM
bollocks to fun, keep it real :)

aNaLpLeAsEr
11-03-2009, 03:42 PM
I enjoyed it...

but thats the key isnt it. Enjoyed.

Each to their own - Im not going to get into arguments about its quality as thats a little bit silly really. Many a good tune played on an old fiddle.

I can't enjoy it on my monitors via CD. But it didn't have to be that way. That's the key. ;)

Quality has nothing to do with a big artist with huge income who expects people to pay for the product???? OK

force
11-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Oh bollox, It DOES sound like Prodigy by numbers, they DONT sound like they mean it anymore.

IMO

And b4 i get jumped on, i more or less heard that from the horses fcking mouth.

The_Laughing_Man
12-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Right, hmmm.

Well, firstly, I think the album is ok. It`s good Prodigy. Not GREAT, but good.

The Prodigiy were never ahead of the curve, they represented a very marketable and commercial sound of the uk underground rave scene at the time.
They took the sounds being played at raves across the country, the sounds of junkie hardcore, early jungle, rave and hardcore, and put a spin on the sounds that fitted mass appeal.
They were always a good credible commercial version of the breaky side of the uk underground, and they made big room, in your face, everybody party like phuck tunes,which did the job so well, they blew up to epic proportions.

What they have done with this album is just that, made some big party like phuck tunes, that`ll work well outside of niche sub genres of dance music.

What did you expect from Liam? Some deep future sound blending dixiland jazz with bleep and tech step?

This is the man that made charlie says remember.

This is what it is, if you were expecting anything more than you are crazy.

However, the timing of tis might be very good.
Recessions are good for the rave scene, people get depressed and need to release the pressure, and a damn good rave is the best thing for that.
So maybe this just might be one of the catalysts for the rebirth of a rave scene.

aNaLpLeAsEr
12-03-2009, 02:19 AM
Good description of what the early Prodigy stuff was about. They were not pioneers with that first album, that's for sure. Most people 30ish+ will know this.

RDR
12-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Right, hmmm.

The Prodigiy were never ahead of the curve, they represented a very marketable and commercial sound of the uk underground rave scene at the time.
They took the sounds being played at raves across the country, the sounds of junkie hardcore, early jungle, rave and hardcore, and put a spin on the sounds that fitted mass appeal.
They were always a good credible commercial version of the breaky side of the uk underground, and they made big room, in your face, everybody party like phuck tunes,which did the job so well, they blew up to epic proportions.

What they have done with this album is just that, made some big party like phuck tunes, that`ll work well outside of niche sub genres of dance music.

What did you expect from Liam? Some deep future sound blending dixiland jazz with bleep and tech step?

Recessions are good for the rave scene, people get depressed and need to release the pressure, and a damn good rave is the best thing for that.
So maybe this just might be one of the catalysts for the rebirth of a rave scene.

Thank you for that eloquent version of what i said.

+1

dan the acid man
12-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Right, hmmm.

I agree whole heartedly, especially about the rebirth of the rave scene (not that it ever went away really).

djfilthmonger
12-03-2009, 09:42 AM

Okay you have an opinion , thats fine now let some one else have one.
This album is not there best for me. Altough some of the tracks are wicked. I have been listening to it a lot over the past few weeks. bottom line is I like it Im enjoying. So if u dont like it fuuck off whinging about it no one cares. There better things you can do with urself then whing abt music u dont like.

And how the fuuck are they struggling? this is one of the only non techno bit of music i have invested money into. the last cd i bought was dave the drummer's hydrualix mix which is a few years back.

Technologic
12-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Right, hmmm.

I always saw them as filling the void between dance and rock, when Jilted came out anyway. They then appealed to two audiences instead of just one, which obviously sparked a lot of controversy.

Personally i think this album portrays the Prodigy for what they are, Electronic Punks, quite like it really, it's got Punk, reggae, old skool, phat ass grooves (and more) all mixed up into one electronic meltdown.

Worth a listen for sure.

The_Laughing_Man
12-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Jilted had very little on it that crossed into rock.
1 track, maybe 2. The PWEI crossover and voodoo people maybe.

It was only with Fat of the land did they cross over more fully.

force
12-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Fat of the land was a great album. As good as the previous two in its own way. 'Funky shit' wot a tune. heard it live so many times b4 it was committed to vinyl/cd. Just not felt the last two at all...

gunjack
12-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Good description of what the early Prodigy stuff was about. They were not pioneers with that first album, that's for sure. Most people 30ish+ will know this.

not pioneers but for sure ahead of the curve really pushing the rave thing into a more universal territory. why is it that we remember the first prodigy album but not the "kicks like a mule" album etc? because it had a spirit behind it that i for one think the prodigy has since lost....

tocsin
12-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Don't forget all the analog warmth it had too!

danny_roberts
12-03-2009, 09:42 PM
I think their new album is tosh. Its got shit loads of pace and hard as **** at points, but anyone can make a rough sounding percussion and heavy basslines. The synth and general composition of the tunes sound naff and dated. Very disappointed with it

aNaLpLeAsEr
12-03-2009, 11:04 PM
not pioneers but for sure ahead of the curve really pushing the rave thing into a more universal territory. why is it that we remember the first prodigy album but not the "kicks like a mule" album etc? because it had a spirit behind it that i for one think the prodigy has since lost....

Commercialization is all they pushed back then. Liam was a good front man that was all. Dum ****s love that kinda shit.

force
13-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Commercialization is all they pushed back then. Liam was a good front man that was all. Dum ****s love that kinda shit.

Thats total bullshit mate.
Loads of stuff has been considered 'underground' until it becomes popular.
Once it becomes popular, then it enters the realms of commercial pop.
I'd say Liam was a pioneer back then and influenced a lot of the big, early hardcore tunes of the day. He also never restricted himself to one or 2 styles either.
Chemical brothers, prodigy, underworld, etc were all considered 'underground'.

And one more thing.
Liam was never a front man, he always stood at the back and let the others hog the limelight so ive no idea where you got that from..

aNaLpLeAsEr
13-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Thats total bullshit mate.
Loads of stuff has been considered 'underground' until it becomes popular.
Once it becomes popular, then it enters the realms of commercial pop.
I'd say Liam was a pioneer back then and influenced a lot of the big, early hardcore tunes of the day. He also never restricted himself to one or 2 styles either.
Chemical brothers, prodigy, underworld, etc were all considered 'underground'.

And one more thing.
Liam was never a front man, he always stood at the back and let the others hog the limelight so ive no idea where you got that from..

Take your nose out his arse for one single minute.

They were never considered underground, the underground laughed at them and there followers.

How old are you?

DannyBlack
13-03-2009, 12:49 PM
chin strokery. thats all this thread is.

force
13-03-2009, 01:06 PM

They were never considered underground, the underground laughed at them and there followers.

How old are you?

Ha ha

Difficult to take you seriously mate.

Go and please some aNaL's.

aNaLpLeAsEr
13-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Ha ha

Difficult to take you seriously mate.

Go and please some aNaL's.

You didn't answer my question though.

force
13-03-2009, 01:45 PM
You didn't answer my question though.

Really none of your fcking business aNaL.
But i've been there from the start...

aNaLpLeAsEr
13-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Really none of your fcking business aNaL.
But i've been there from the start...

What ever you say mate.

...Dave...
13-03-2009, 01:59 PM
i remember back in about 1991 when they released charly i wanted to kill them. i honestly believed it was them who played a big part in commercialising rave.

but you can't knock them.

they found a niece and it was one that was needed.

force
13-03-2009, 02:12 PM
i think it was more the sesame st shite and Trumpton bollox that jumped on the wagon and did that. tbh

...Dave...
13-03-2009, 02:17 PM
i think it was more the sesame st shite and Trumpton bollox that jumped on the wagon and did that. tbh

yeah it was mate. but at the time i remember wanting to kill them:lol:

Technologic
13-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Jilted had very little on it that crossed into rock.
1 track, maybe 2. The PWEI crossover and voodoo people maybe.

It was only with Fat of the land did they cross over more fully.

What?

Their Law was one huge mutha-f*cking tune. It did cross the boundaries, got the rockers interested and so they listened to the entire album and more often than not enjoyed it. I know various rockers that started listening to dance music solely because of the Prodigy and continue to do so today.

Now i see big bands like Infected Mushroom and Pendulum doing exactly the same thing they (the Prodigy) were doing a decade ago, just a bit differently, if not even further back than that.

It's ironic really cos i think the new Prodigy album sound a bit like Pendulum anyway, i'm confused as to who's influencing who anymore.

aNaLpLeAsEr
13-03-2009, 02:24 PM
I agree. The second and 3rd albums did turn many a rocker and guitarist into wannbe DJ's

But those that reckon the first album was pioneering, that is just too funny.

tocsin
13-03-2009, 02:38 PM

Yep. Did we hit on whether or not the sound is too squashed yet? Use of finalizers? Not making the right shapes in an oscilloscope? Software vs. hardware? Come on, Blackoutaudio. You're slacking on your typical wankery regarding this shit. :P

Technologic
13-03-2009, 02:49 PM
You're slacking on your typical wankery regarding this shit. :P

*mental note* Must wank harder *mental note*

The_Laughing_Man
13-03-2009, 04:00 PM

How old are you?

That`s not striclty true mate, I went to many a Rave (in the true sense of the word)\in my misguided youth, and the prodigy appeared at a few, they played 4 aces in Dalston Hackney for christs sake, it doesn`t get much more underground than that, they were seriously respected.

A) Cos they rocked the joint. Like, they REALLY rocked the joint.
B) Cos they made it, they blew up and took "our thing" the illegal rave sound into the accepted media spotlight.

The original releases were by todays standards "cheese". But Cheesy dance music didn`t really exist then. The cheeky sillyness of charlie says etc was underground, and fun for the E culture back then.

I doubt you could go to a proper rave back then and not hear a prodigy tune at least once in the early 90`s.
Liam garnered a lot of respect in that sense, he was real, he didn`t turn up making pop, he was there with his kit burning out bassbins in warehouses and fields and clubs getting mental with the rest of us.

He just made a sound that had that edge that gave it mass appeal.

The_Laughing_Man
13-03-2009, 04:03 PM
What?

Their Law was one huge mutha-f*cking tune. It did cross the boundaries, got the rockers interested and so they listened to the entire album and more often than not enjoyed it. I know various rockers that started listening to dance music solely because of the Prodigy and continue to do so today.

Now i see big bands like Infected Mushroom and Pendulum doing exactly the same thing they (the Prodigy) were doing a decade ago, just a bit differently, if not even further back than that.

It's ironic really cos i think the new Prodigy album sound a bit like Pendulum anyway, i'm confused as to who's influencing who anymore.

Read again, Jilted Generation had very little that crossed over into rock.
You prove my point with your comment.
1 maybe 2 tracks.
Their law and possibly voodoo people at a push.

DannyBlack
13-03-2009, 04:13 PM
I want to give you all a sponge bath.

Technologic
13-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Read again, Jilted Generation had very little that crossed over into rock.
You prove my point with your comment.
1 maybe 2 tracks.
Their law and possibly voodoo people at a push.

Ah yeah, sorry.

But you agree that what did crossover brought a wider audience to dance music?

The_Laughing_Man
13-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Ah yeah, sorry.

But you agree that what did crossover brought a wider audience to dance music?

Oh hell yeah, I was also heavily into industrial back than, and many a prodigy track would creep into the sets of industrial DJ`s.
More so the Fat of the Land stuff though.

Jay Pace
13-03-2009, 06:02 PM
I read an interview with them, where they talked about charly.

They said they made it as a pisstake, because people were dancing to cheesy stupid stuff so they thought they'd make an impossibly stupid cheesey song.

Which then became massive. Which I suppose is a bit of a problem, when your cheesey novelty records are what you become famous and loved for....

Technologic
13-03-2009, 06:08 PM

They said they made it as a pisstake, because people were dancing to cheesy stupid stuff so they thought they'd make an impossibly stupid cheesey song.

Which then became massive. Which I suppose is a bit of a problem, when your cheesey novelty records are what you become famous and loved for....

The bassline is PHAT though.

The_Laughing_Man
13-03-2009, 08:12 PM

Fun wasn`t a bad word io those days

aNaLpLeAsEr
14-03-2009, 01:33 AM
That`s not striclty true mate, I went to many a Rave (in the true sense of the word)\in my misguided youth, and the prodigy appeared at a few, they played 4 aces in Dalston Hackney for christs sake, it doesn`t get much more underground than that, they were seriously respected.

A) Cos they rocked the joint. Like, they REALLY rocked the joint.
B) Cos they made it, they blew up and took "our thing" the illegal rave sound into the accepted media spotlight.

The original releases were by todays standards "cheese". But Cheesy dance music didn`t really exist then. The cheeky sillyness of charlie says etc was underground, and fun for the E culture back then.

I doubt you could go to a proper rave back then and not hear a prodigy tune at least once in the early 90`s.
Liam garnered a lot of respect in that sense, he was real, he didn`t turn up making pop, he was there with his kit burning out bassbins in warehouses and fields and clubs getting mental with the rest of us.

He just made a sound that had that edge that gave it mass appeal.

Oh the days of Labrynth in Hackey. I just didn't have the same experience as you. They pretty much borrowed an already existing sound with that first album and added a layer of cheesy pop to it. That kinda shit still goes onto day. **** look what happened with some trance.

The following 2 albums were much better. And I have a lot of respect for the the fat of the land. But please charly ****ing says was lapped up by 14 year old school kids. Well ****ing underground.

The_Laughing_Man
14-03-2009, 02:26 AM
They played underground parties and clubs, therefore, they were underground.
It`s that simple.
Even Pete ****ing Tong was underground to begin with.

aNaLpLeAsEr
14-03-2009, 03:53 AM
Blah fcking blah

played be the operative word here. fcking players, always got to **** up a good thing.

Let me guess you actually paid money to listen to them? No wonder your so defensive.

The_Laughing_Man
14-03-2009, 04:09 AM
Actually I never paid money to see any particular act. I just paid to go to parties, I had no idea who was what until years later.
Of course I`m defensive, essex boys stick together:biggrin:

aNaLpLeAsEr
14-03-2009, 04:18 AM
congratulations.

Your parents must be very proud

tocsin
14-03-2009, 04:56 AM
LOL @ all the bullshit over this album. Again, like previous Prodigy albums, it's catchy and it rocks. It's been their main appeal for as long as I can remember. If you can't catch that, pretending you got them at any particular point of time seems a bit absurd.

aNaLpLeAsEr
14-03-2009, 05:04 AM
I Haven't heard the album they lost me when I felt the need to return the piece of shit that they released before this one.

I don't even think I would waste any bandwidth on them.

The_Laughing_Man
14-03-2009, 05:08 AM
congratulations.

Your parents must be very proud

Very.
My mum has all my vinyl releases and plays them at home on her stereo. She`s great.
Mums are great.

force
14-03-2009, 08:09 AM
I Haven't heard the album they lost me when I felt the need to return the piece of shit that they released before this one.

I don't even think I would waste any bandwidth on them.

I agree. fat of the land was the last good album.

But really mate, you have your head so far up your arse i suspect thats how you chose your forum name...

RDR
14-03-2009, 11:28 AM

'Chin' stroking...... shit, i've been stroking the wrong thing. I thought the thread was wank so....

aNaLpLeAsEr
14-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Very.
My mum has all my vinyl releases and plays them at home on her stereo. She`s great.
Mums are great.

Mine sexually abused me, so again I don't share your view.

aNaLpLeAsEr
14-03-2009, 12:20 PM
I agree. fat of the land was the last good album.

But really mate, you have your head so far up your arse i suspect thats how you chose your forum name...

You suspected wrong on 2 accounts.

We are not mates.

tocsin
14-03-2009, 01:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMp57Godu3o

SlavikSvensk
14-03-2009, 04:12 PM
i saw them play at coachella in 2005 and they were god awful. i mean absolutely atrocious.

but i did like songs like "out of space" back when i was a wee teenager. there was a sort of frenetic energy to them that really appealed to me at that age. plus those beats just sounded HUGE back then. can't really knock that...

Radic
16-03-2009, 12:49 PM
didn't think much of the new album to begin with but damn it's growin on me. There's 4 or 5 tracks that are gonna work in so well with their live act.

To all the prodigy haters out there i'm not quite sure what your all expecting from this new album. People's expectations for a Prodigy album are just way too high IMO. They're a great dance act and with this album will continue to do so for years to come.

dan the acid man
14-04-2009, 12:30 AM
Just back from seeing them live, they sure know how to put on a concert, brilliant from start to finish.
They also played Jericho which i wasn't expecting, one of my old favourites.

TechMouse
14-04-2009, 10:58 AM
They also played Jericho which i wasn't expecting, one of my old favourites.
+1

Numeric
14-04-2009, 01:09 PM
i heard the single they released recently the other day, ****in awful, just plain gash

if the rest of the album is like that then i'm glad i haven't heard it

djfilthmonger
14-04-2009, 01:51 PM
the album is quite good. some lethal tracks there, some are not so great, it really grows on ya

278d7e64a374de26f==