PDA

View Full Version : techno

gunjack
11-02-2009, 01:30 PM
derrick says: "techno is a complete mistake. It's like George Clinton and Kraftwerk are stuck in an elevator with only a sequencer to keep them company..."

then he said: " “Kraftwerk got off on the third floor and now George Clinton’s got Napalm Death in there with him. The elevator’s stalled between the pharmacy and the athletic wear store."

i thought it might be nice to discuss music that comes from a more "diverse" point of view...

i will get the ball rolling: SCORN, napalm death drummer, grand daddy of "dubstep" i still hear his music and think "TECHNO" anybody else out there we can big up for not playing typical 4x4 etc but remaining "techno" in spirit?

jon connor
11-02-2009, 01:40 PM
prodigy! they in the old days were classed as techno , umm brad lee does awsome stuff appart from techno, i heard sum great stuff on that album from your man garret dillion infact that blew me away, also has any 1 checked out wot henrick b is up to these days ?

Spark
11-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Interesting topic..

also has any 1 checked out wot henrick b is up to these days ?

Im curious aswell..

gunjack
11-02-2009, 01:55 PM
links to henrick b new stuff plz?

Numeric
11-02-2009, 01:59 PM
who's derrick? :)

gunjack
11-02-2009, 02:00 PM
some dude.

gunjack
11-02-2009, 02:02 PM
that chris Mcormack (sorry spelling?) thing somebody posted the other day was pretty good! i wouldnt call it a DUB hybrid but it takes ACID into new directions for sure!

gunjack
11-02-2009, 02:04 PM
anybody remember jiri ceiver (spelling again sorry) "hedfon" on harthouse? circus tent 3d acid that stretched techno into twisted ne directions.....

i remember when the jamie lidell remix of vogel's "don't take more" came out it BLEW LOTS OF MINDS, shit i still play that one out!!!!

stjohn
11-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Mika Vaino / PanSonic

www.myspace.com/electronicsquelches (http://www.%3Cb%3Emyspace%3C/b%3E)

and AFX. it doesnt get more techno than AFX if you know what i mean!
(http://www.%3Cb%3Emyspace%3C/b%3E)

jon connor
11-02-2009, 02:07 PM
check out sum of my buddy kay d smiths other work.

www.myspace.com/1kaydsmith

morbid
11-02-2009, 02:08 PM
t raumschmiere to me is techno (even though its not)

and the first 8 bars of Billie Jean - techno as f u c k

gunjack
11-02-2009, 02:13 PM
pan sonic and afx fo sho!

djfilthmonger
11-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Derrick May ." A saying that's always been attributed to May is the description of his techno: "George Clinton meeting Kraftwerk in an elevator.

this saying is every where. I have a electro record somewhere and apparently Derrick May describes it as that

gunjack
11-02-2009, 02:15 PM
who's derrick? :)

derrick MAY says: "techno is a complete mistake. It's like George Clinton and Kraftwerk are stuck in an elevator with only a sequencer to keep them company..."

then he said: " “Kraftwerk got off on the third floor and now George Clinton’s got Napalm Death in there with him. The elevator’s stalled between the pharmacy and the athletic wear store."

he was being sarcastic when he asked "who's derrick" i believe haha

jon connor
11-02-2009, 02:35 PM
ahh crap the mp3 shop is down for a couple of days there is only 3 here but trust me there is some great breaks and stuff

The_Laughing_Man
11-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Throbbing Gristle - Part 2 The Endless Not
They were kicking out techno long before.

Ivan Pavlov - Coh is amazing also. More techno than most techno these days.

gunjack
11-02-2009, 02:39 PM
yeaaa gristle!!!! coil too i guess...

Numeric
11-02-2009, 02:45 PM
he was being sarcastic when he asked "who's derrick" i believe haha

i was being sarcastic :)

jon connor
11-02-2009, 03:03 PM
links to henrick b new stuff plz?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhX9J19VtNo

but where have these days gone oh my god i used cain the ass outta this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WItJo3s3HYU

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiXpgK8ycwk

them were the days

gunjack
11-02-2009, 03:05 PM
henrick's new stuff = DO NAT WANT hahaha

flying lotus has some real TECHNO vibes on 1983 (warp)

gunjack
11-02-2009, 03:08 PM
cari likebush has always had some diverse elements and influences in his music!

Honeey
11-02-2009, 03:20 PM
DJ MISJAH & GROOVEHEAD - FUNKY DRIVE

Love it, still play it out.
This really got me into playing harder driving music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYAHRmU2tik

jon connor
11-02-2009, 03:33 PM

ye do you remember that reggae sample in a track wot the hell was that will have to dig it it out now got me thinking now.

jon connor
11-02-2009, 03:46 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Zea-qyYT4&eurl=http://www.myspace.com/carilekebusch&feature=player_embedded

awsome i love cari whole outlook and there is a guy who certainly nows haw to do it his artwork also is fantastic.

jon connor
11-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Hey gunjack im influenced with this stuff i may try and have ago a constructing a track in this style , i have done somthing simililar with kay d smith but we never released them , he still has them as they are part unfinished but it was a bit faster and more on the breaks electro sound this dubstep stuff nice

gunjack
11-02-2009, 03:59 PM
send it to me when you finish mate i would love to have a listen

jon connor
11-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Yea my friend tripple b here in wales likes this stuff he has done a few of them i will get him to foward finished stuff to you.

The Overfiend
11-02-2009, 05:53 PM
TImbaland and half of hip hop now is influenced by our bleeps and bloops

snooch
11-02-2009, 11:42 PM
No shit. When Timbaland did that one track for Justin Timberlake Bring Sexy Back, I thought "Jesus, this is minimal!." I'm still not sure if that is good or bad. For a mass produced pop song, it was pretty damned good, but seeing a song marketed to 10-11 year old girls that is basically a minimal track was disturbing to me.

Siege
12-02-2009, 12:05 AM
, also has any 1 checked out wot henrick b is up to these days ?[/QUOTE]

last stuff i heard of his was commercial electro house stuff, eric prydz and friends label........shame as he did some wicked techno over the years

The_Laughing_Man
12-02-2009, 12:48 AM
TImbaland and half of hip hop now is influenced by our bleeps and bloops

Timbaland is a good example of a very clever man, but he in fact is a team of producers that he fronts. It`s his engineers who are the real smarty poops.
But in turn I think some of the new hip hop/urban or whatever it is called this week is in itself creative off it`s own back.
Some real wacked out shuffled out but still in beats and clever compression and so on.
I think techno could learn something from this, and I certainly have picked up some tricks and tips.

Techno is very insular and sometimes people in it tend to think it`s the most innovative groundbreaking thing ever, but when you really look around there is some seriously cool innovative stuff out there in other genres that can be learned from and also that deserve respect, and also a lot of techno is very dated and formulaic.

There is always something more to learn.

The Overfiend
12-02-2009, 01:29 AM
Good point Steve, at the same time imagine how awkward it is to me when I walk by my 11 year old's room and hear High School Musical over Gez Varley, lol. It's entirely surreal how much the hip-hop/r&b community bastardized the whole rave movement here in the states, and now everything on the radio is a minimal song or a r&b remix set over relief records.

wrong
12-02-2009, 05:56 PM
ye do you remember that reggae sample in a track wot the hell was that will have to dig it it out now got me thinking now.

Reverted? a wicked track..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-dFtXiQta8

Technologic
13-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Nine Inch Nails

DannyBlack
14-02-2009, 12:18 AM
No shit. When Timbaland did that one track for Justin Timberlake Bring Sexy Back, I thought "Jesus, this is minimal!." I'm still not sure if that is good or bad. For a mass produced pop song, it was pretty damned good, but seeing a song marketed to 10-11 year old girls that is basically a minimal track was disturbing to me.

Timbalands production is spot on. everytime. love or hate pop, sexy back was bloody fantastic.

TechMouse
14-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Timbalands production is spot on. everytime. love or hate pop, sexy back was bloody fantastic.
The guy is also a complete fraud.

There was that notable example of him completely ripping an old modscene tune for a track on the Nelly Furtado album (search youtube, there's much evidence about) and that's just one he's been picked up on.

I don't doubt overall his production standards are slick, but give anyone a team of proficient engineers and the best quality studio gear money can buy and they'll probably manage to put out something equally slick.

The Overfiend
14-02-2009, 06:42 PM
listen to jay z brush your shoulders off tell me he's a fraud on his own though
he's got a team now granted but he is still on his game when he first dropped i was like ok dude is totally into drum n bass back in the mid 90's

The_Laughing_Man
14-02-2009, 06:50 PM

There was that notable example of him completely ripping an old modscene tune for a track on the Nelly Furtado album (search youtube, there's much evidence about) and that's just one he's been picked up on.

I don't doubt overall his production standards are slick, but give anyone a team of proficient engineers and the best quality studio gear money can buy and they'll probably manage to put out something equally slick.

Hip hop has always ripped.
Doesnt take away the cleverness in the production even on his latest album.
Read lots of interviews with him and various members of his team, there was a good article in sound on sound not too long ago.
Very interesting.

TechMouse
14-02-2009, 08:07 PM
listen to jay z brush your shoulders off tell me he's a fraud on his own though
he's got a team now granted but he is still on his game when he first dropped i was like ok dude is totally into drum n bass back in the mid 90's
I'm not saying he doesn't have talent.

I'm just saying that people who completely rip and don't give credit don't deserve to be put on a pedestal.

I totally get that sampling is a big part of hip hop - DJ Shadow lifts whole segments of stuff, but then again he gives total acknowledgement on the sleeve notes.

The fact that he lifted IP in that one case and refused to even acknowledge the fact - and this wasn't just a loop here a drum hit there, this was the whole ****ing tune - shows him up as lame in the extreme.

In my humble opinion.

The_Laughing_Man
14-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Oh I`m not suggesting he isn`t a bastard.
Wouldn`t have got to where he was without being one.

Technologic
16-02-2009, 02:09 PM
that chris Mcormack (sorry spelling?) thing somebody posted the other day was pretty good! i wouldnt call it a DUB hybrid but it takes ACID into new directions for sure!

Yes, Chris has often come up with forward thinking music. Love Smith and Selway's style as well. Where's the link btw?

tekara
19-02-2009, 09:09 AM

He is a good producer overall, but I would agree that I have come across some other producers who have claimed he has ripped many different tunes and recreated tracks and presented itself as his own work.

I guess this is the whole "when is it sampling, and when is it stealing" argument....

If anyone should know, its Devante from Jodeci that taught Timbaland how to produce. He would probably have a good idea

tekara
19-02-2009, 09:13 AM
certain early 90's hiphop tracks have techno influences to me. I guess any genre, whether it be rock or rap, where the groove of the track fits into the vocals so tightly......i can never get enough of loop based music.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of Henrik B's new stuff either. I can understand why many artists are trying to progress and push the envelope, but there's a difference between "being different" and just good old fashion making bad music. Props to these artists for progressing though, but some of them have been hit and misses.

Does anyone know if DJ Rush is still playing hard techno like in the late 90s and early 2000s???? I know there was a huge debate here a few years ago when people started getting heavily into electro-house and minimal, and certain people were saying Rush would NEVER play minimal. Has this been the case?

king_woody1
19-02-2009, 06:04 PM
check out sum of my buddy kay d smiths other work.

www.myspace.com/1kaydsmith

know where i can get kay d smith - time 2 change ?

jon connor
20-02-2009, 09:48 PM
know where i can get kay d smith - time 2 change ?

pm me mate ive somthing interesting comming soon you will be glad to hear also

278d7e64a374de26f==