PDA

View Full Version : BRAN LANEN: "Invisible Man"

BranLanen
13-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Hi all! I have finished a track last night but I'm thinking that still is not finished...I don't know what it needs but I'm not satisfied with the actual track.... also the mastering is not good, it's a provisional thing, so it would be great for me if you can advise me for that.
Please listen it and give me your critics :biggrin:
This is the link: http://soundcloud.com/ibyat/invisible-man

DannyBlack
13-02-2009, 10:58 AM
alright mate! I will give it a listen when I get home. THis place is very quiet at the moment.

morbid
13-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Mate

will listen later on

really liking nocturnal disturbance on antiritmo btw

Jay Pace
22-02-2009, 06:12 AM
hey man
Got some really nice elements in here, but this needs a fair bit of work.

The mix needs more balance - far too much going on in the bass and not enough in the mid/highs. Kick sounds muffled and the bass generally muddy and indistinct. The mid range is cluttered by bass sounds that need to be shaped better with EQ to make them clearer.

Most of the problems in the mix are to do with the positioning. You need to try and get each sound to occupy a frequency area, and try not to get too many things overlapping. If things overlap in the bass area it becomes muddy and muffled sounding. Your synth loop sounds lovely, but its making things messy in the bass. You could cut a lot of bass out and use widening to give yourself some room. Then the crunch sounds and percussion need to have the bass stripped away, and the kick itself needs some work to give it the bass thump and mid range smack you're looking for.

Structurally this progresses nicely, but the loops feel static and the repetition in the patterns gets a bit stale - need to have more variation, or take the elements in and out more. Just sounds a bit too repetitive at the moment.

Best advice I could give you on mastering is... dont! Unless you really know what you're doing, mastering is best left to the pro's, otherwise it will make more problems than it solves. Better to work on getting the mix really tight, and then if absolutely necessary you can do a little shaping EQ and mix compression to tame any transients and make it a bit fuller.

vinvanman
22-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Haven't listened to the track yet, will do, Jays giving ya top advice there, best advice i've read here in a while

DannyBlack
22-02-2009, 11:39 AM
when this place is busy mate the advice is bloody fantastic! I think everyone is majorly busy with the up coming new label(s). all good though! :-)

BranLanen
22-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks to all for listening!
Jay, thanks for taking the time to give me advice as useful and complete. I needed remember things that people always say about mixing but in practice really I don't pay attention on it...
I think more variation is needed but my ideas are finishing to this track, :P....maybe I will put in and out some elements and I will work more with the separation in this mix.

I will upload again the revised version of the track when I can get a different and more complete sound.
Thanks again!

278d7e64a374de26f==