PDA

View Full Version : Rotten to the core.

DannyBlack
14-02-2009, 11:41 PM
I have been messing with this since last night. overall pretty pleased! have an aul listen tell me what you think needs to be added- subtracted :-)

thanks.

http://rapidshare.com/files/198179235/Rotten_to_the_core.mp3

djfilthmonger
15-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Apple - Core is it?

djfilthmonger
15-02-2009, 10:35 AM
wikid choon mate . i like it a lot.

DannyBlack
15-02-2009, 03:36 PM
cheers mate, do you have any ideas ? how would you do it different?

djfilthmonger
15-02-2009, 04:17 PM
ill give it a listen properly when im at home , in wrk so i can only listen to it through pc at low volume

DannyBlack
15-02-2009, 04:52 PM
sound mate. put it on a system that can handle bass, there some subbyness going on ther.

djfilthmonger
16-02-2009, 10:57 AM
I like it mate, I think a slight tweak in the bass evry so often maybe and a nice sexy groove snyth to match the bass pattern . But basically I think the track is missing something to keep the groove going, the flow. but then again thats what i think. but something to set it off and blow it through the roof . I wud go for a fatter kick but i do like that whomp whomp feeling in tracks.

DannyBlack
16-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I broke it down last night for mastering. Im taking the sub patern out to make a new one as this one is a little boring.

I will re arrange the composition on some very sound advice. I'm not going to do any synth work because I don't want to take away from the loops which I'm incredibly happy with.

The kick is weak as hell, so I will be re doing that too. I'm insanely pleased with the way this one is going.

djfilthmonger
17-02-2009, 09:06 AM
cool as long as ur happy wid it. send on when ur ready mate.

Jay Pace
22-02-2009, 05:48 AM
allo mate
great ideas in this, loving all the weird glitchy biziniz
Nice smooth sub sounds as well.

Kick is weird though, far too high and doesn't have any thump. Is it a sampled kick or a drum synth?
The sub could do with some growl and less verb, pull it forward in the mix more.

Elements don't quite seem to be gelling together, might be due to where they've been positioned in the mix. kick is uber prominant because its mono and very high pitch, then the glitchy bits are panned quite hard and sit back due to the glitch and verb and behind them is the bass which sounds like its moving around the stereo field a bit.

I'm guessing you like the glitchy bizniz? Its wicked work mate. I'd use less reverb though, it washes it out a bit and makes it sound a bit muted. Verb takes the edge of sounds like that and muddies up their stark glitchy qualities if too much gets used. Are you using the verbs as inserts? If you are I reckon it woudl be better used on a send, keep a dry version of the glitching, then use sends to bang in verb now and again. The use of verbs sounds a bit static - like its permanently set on the same setting all the way through.

I'd scrap that kick altogether. Have you got drumatik? Thats great for designing kicks, you could build a nice thumping kick with plenty of sub to cleave through all that glitchy loveliness.

Sub I'd keep more in mono, anything that low down makes trouble if its allowed to wander around the stereo field. Rigs don't like it and it can sound a bit weird listening to it. One way to get round that is to make some layers - a super deep sub tone beefing away in mono, and then another layer of higher frequencies with more harmonics that can more around a bit. Also nice to grind the higher frequencies up a bit, that way you feel the impact of the bass whilst still getting to hear the melodic content.

Nice work man, looking forward to the next cut.

DannyBlack
22-02-2009, 02:01 PM
allo mate
great ideas in this, loving all the weird glitchy biziniz
Nice smooth sub sounds as well.

Kick is weird though, far too high and doesn't have any thump. Is it a sampled kick or a drum synth?
The sub could do with some growl and less verb, pull it forward in the mix more.

Elements don't quite seem to be gelling together, might be due to where they've been positioned in the mix. kick is uber prominant because its mono and very high pitch, then the glitchy bits are panned quite hard and sit back due to the glitch and verb and behind them is the bass which sounds like its moving around the stereo field a bit.

I'm guessing you like the glitchy bizniz? Its wicked work mate. I'd use less reverb though, it washes it out a bit and makes it sound a bit muted. Verb takes the edge of sounds like that and muddies up their stark glitchy qualities if too much gets used. Are you using the verbs as inserts? If you are I reckon it woudl be better used on a send, keep a dry version of the glitching, then use sends to bang in verb now and again. The use of verbs sounds a bit static - like its permanently set on the same setting all the way through.

I'd scrap that kick altogether. Have you got drumatik? Thats great for designing kicks, you could build a nice thumping kick with plenty of sub to cleave through all that glitchy loveliness.

Sub I'd keep more in mono, anything that low down makes trouble if its allowed to wander around the stereo field. Rigs don't like it and it can sound a bit weird listening to it. One way to get round that is to make some layers - a super deep sub tone beefing away in mono, and then another layer of higher frequencies with more harmonics that can more around a bit. Also nice to grind the higher frequencies up a bit, that way you feel the impact of the bass whilst still getting to hear the melodic content.

Nice work man, looking forward to the next cut.

Hey Jay. Cheers for listening matey! Yeah I agree, that kick is poo! I started shaping a new one but I'm yet to find one I'm happy with.

I was messing with the reverb the other night on the loops, I just don't like them with less or non. Do they sound daft with that jmuch verb on them? The reason I have them so verbed up (new phrase! lol) is because I want to convey a kind of empty desolate insomnia driven sound. I guess there are other ways of doing this without using reverb as much. Any tips?

I'm not happy with the sub at all, I feel the pattern is too basic and the delay that I put on it is a bit much perhaps.

I noticed in your tunes that you seem to wrap them in this really warm sounding bass- Id like to go for something like this too- what does you use to come up with that?

I'm gonna sort out my FL issues when I get home so I should start on the final composition. Thanks for the feedback, its very much appreciated.

P.S yeah, I bloody love glitchyness. :-)

fils_here
22-02-2009, 06:37 PM
not a bad little tune there mate, bass does need beefing up a bit, might be my pc speakers though, kick needs a little work.

Jay Pace
22-02-2009, 08:24 PM
hey man

Are you using the verb as an insert? It just sounds a bit static, and a bit washy. Get where you are coming from wanting a verb, but it might be better routed out as a send, then you can sculpt the EQ on the send to trim the verb down, make it more sparkly in the high region. That will leave the glitchy sounds fairly clean and more forward in the mix, whilst getting the depth, space and head ****ery your are looking for. Also for space try just running some stereo delays with fairly hard panning. For glitchy unpredictable sounds like that delays work wonders.

I always build basslines in layers, have a deep clean sub rumble at the bottom with some decent EQ, then build another layer on top of it to give it definition and harmonic content. Deep bass is felt rather than heard, so want to keep that part fairly clean but beefed up. The harmonic content can then sit as a layer on top, bass cut out of it and it can be ground up, distorted, saturated, widened, reverbed, delayed etc or can simply be clean and melodic without interfering with the deep bass itself.

Some careful EQing and a bit of sidechain can give you a kick that gives you plenty of bass and punch together. Or you can layer kicks. You can get really nice kicks by building a deep subby kick with a "whumph" sort of sound to it, slower attack, then layer another kick without much bass (or with bass cut away) on top of it. That top end kick can also then have a bit of reverb on it, or distortion without affecting the bass qualities. Reverbs in the bass make things muddy quickly, and distortion can unproduce unwanted problems if its applied ot the whole sound.

djfilthmonger
23-02-2009, 01:27 PM
i heard SPR's remix of this man its sounds good.

DannyBlack
24-02-2009, 03:03 PM
hey man

Are you using the verb as an insert? It just sounds a bit static, and a bit washy. Get where you are coming from wanting a verb, but it might be better routed out as a send, then you can sculpt the EQ on the send to trim the verb down, make it more sparkly in the high region. That will leave the glitchy sounds fairly clean and more forward in the mix, whilst getting the depth, space and head ****ery your are looking for. Also for space try just running some stereo delays with fairly hard panning. For glitchy unpredictable sounds like that delays work wonders.

I always build basslines in layers, have a deep clean sub rumble at the bottom with some decent EQ, then build another layer on top of it to give it definition and harmonic content. Deep bass is felt rather than heard, so want to keep that part fairly clean but beefed up. The harmonic content can then sit as a layer on top, bass cut out of it and it can be ground up, distorted, saturated, widened, reverbed, delayed etc or can simply be clean and melodic without interfering with the deep bass itself.

Some careful EQing and a bit of sidechain can give you a kick that gives you plenty of bass and punch together. Or you can layer kicks. You can get really nice kicks by building a deep subby kick with a "whumph" sort of sound to it, slower attack, then layer another kick without much bass (or with bass cut away) on top of it. That top end kick can also then have a bit of reverb on it, or distortion without affecting the bass qualities. Reverbs in the bass make things muddy quickly, and distortion can unproduce unwanted problems if its applied ot the whole sound.

I never thought of putting the effect on a send. hmmm... cool I will give that a stab. Cheers for the ideas and the pointers!

I also spent last night learning how to create wobble bass, so I have more ideas for the track.

BloodStar
24-02-2009, 04:27 PM
I never thought of putting the effect on a send. hmmm...

you should deffinitelly try to hook compressor as a send effect. This is called NYC style compression. Princip of it is, you dont compress 100% of the signal, but as much as you can,. in the other words you are blending uncompressed with compressed signal.
try 1 compressor with heavy settings ,then send it to your drum buss, kicks, etc. work wonders when your kicks lack punch...

stjohn
24-02-2009, 04:55 PM
or do both... :)

reverb plus a masher compressor give a lovely warehouse feel to the sound

DannyBlack
24-02-2009, 07:28 PM
ok wicked. good ideas lads. one problem I have just found though- I haven't a cluer how to route through a send.

example: I have loop 1 through its own channel on the mixer. How do I route to send?

loopdon
24-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi there, Not listened yet but would like to help with the sends in FL.

generally you can press 'F1' on your keyboard in FL, that should bring the help up.

OR:

http://flstudio.image-line.com/help/

a) http://flstudio.image-line.com/help/html/img_shot/mixer_main.jpg

loopdon
24-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Hi there, Not listened yet but would like to help with the sends in FL.

generally you can press 'F1' on your keyboard in FL, that should bring the help up.

OR:

http://flstudio.image-line.com/help/

http://flstudio.image-line.com/help/html/img_shot/mixer_main.jpg

a) Route out your glitch pattern to a channel, say Insert1.

b) Apply a send effect like reverb on Send 1, as you would load it up on a normal insert

c) Whilst in the mixer, highlight (press) Insert1

d) Start turning up the little dial at the bottom of Send1 (marked yellow in the pic)

Does that help?

Here's a little *.flp i did for you, it is a kickdrum sent to a reverb.

http://rapidshare.com/files/202160078/For_Danny.flp.html

DannyBlack
25-02-2009, 11:07 AM
man you are a legend. Thank you so much. that was wrecking my head for ages!! Thanks.

Little_Fella!
14-03-2009, 02:39 AM
This is a rather interesting track and has a classic feel to it .. ummmm the label Techno Slut comes to mind - - structure is bang on so no changes there... really like the glitchy sounds and the hat/ride shizz you got going on - - makes things nice and interesting for you to play each of these elemants offa each other... :;

The kick is one that is widely used by the psytrance/hardtek troops, which is fair play for their style of music and is what gives it it's identity, but I always move away from kicks of this style as they have no bottom end to them, which is no good if you have monster bass on the go...

Your bassline does need redressing as it doesn't denote the title ( it sounds quite happy to me! ;) lol )... twill be easy just to set up something a bit more mooody n beeefy with say three variations on the intial bass riff...

Well I must quickly write all that down what Jay has written as tis very much the information needed to deal with the issues raised... wicked info Johnny :cool:

Deff aaallways mono your bottom end .. I use 'otium Basslane' on my master channel and mono from 250 hz down over or there n about's ..

Try all what's been mentioned and I'm sure you will be pleased with the result... cool track n the most accomplished so far... :cool:

DannyBlack
14-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Cheers for the feedback matey! I left this one go for a couple of weeks, always find that helps. Yeah the kick sounded great off my crappy speakers- but I started to beef it up a bit, more of a subby kick. The bassline is bloody awful, I'm gonna be taking it out completely I think.

Cheers for the advice, got loads to go on in this thread. I willl post her back up when Im completely satisfied. :-)

curly
21-03-2009, 10:45 PM
like the vibe to this track, waiting with eager ears for the next version to be posted

DannyBlack
06-04-2009, 11:16 PM
nice one mate. I'm not sure if i will continue with this one though. I got too into it and lost all my ideas for it. see what happens though.

278d7e64a374de26f==