PDA

View Full Version : hearing your tracks in a club?

eyes without a face
17-01-2004, 09:22 PM
wasnt sure where to post this question so i thought id post it here!

to any producers here, what was ur reaction when you first heard one of ur tracks in a club?

im having a house track of mine played @ Bugged Out @ the end tonite, unfortunately i wont be there but ive got people going and are going to let me know the response!

Esox Lucius
17-01-2004, 09:46 PM
shame you cant make it scott, bet your gutted about not hearing your track played out...who is playing it, brendan?

eyes without a face
17-01-2004, 09:56 PM
yeah Brendan is finishing his set with it, gutted i cant be there to hear it, but the Bugged out lot have asked me for a CD of tracks so he is going to pass it on and hopefully they will like it

its getting played by Chris (finke) next weekend too hopefully, which is nice!

Esox Lucius
17-01-2004, 09:59 PM
which one, the realm? it is a good track, still not keen on that vocal though, if mr finke wants to play it out though then it must be good!

eyes without a face
17-01-2004, 10:13 PM
yeah, The Realm

Chris said the vocal is really old school and he thinks it fits perfectly, as do i, so thats good enough for me

i feel honoured that someone with Chris's musical knowledge and background wants to play a track of mine

Col
17-01-2004, 10:17 PM
where can i hear some of your stuff? do you ever post in the filez section?

eyes without a face
17-01-2004, 10:18 PM
i always post in the filez section, but to not much avail!!!

www.scottgray.btinternet.co.uk

check it out

dirty_bass
18-01-2004, 12:44 AM
is that the realm as in, "something for your mind, your body and your sould" etc?

dan the acid man
18-01-2004, 01:15 AM
i always post in the filez section, but to not much avail!!!

www.scottgray.btinternet.co.uk

check it out

had a listen to all the tracks on your site and they were very good, lots of funky synth and percussion action.

The Overfiend
18-01-2004, 02:42 AM
had a couple of my earlier productions played in a strip joint.
nothing better than seeing your jacked out trak making strippers bounce ass cheek

Dustin Zahn
18-01-2004, 02:45 AM
One of the first times I ever heard one of my records played out I was just walking in the doors to this one rave and I told my friend next to me, "I've got this record." But I couldn't remember what it was for the life of me. A short while later I realized that it was my record being played! So much for a great memory. :) Needless to say I thought it was very cool that people were getting down...but to be honest what means even more to me is that I had a good time writing the track.
Another time I heard our first Attack People EP get played out one night. All 3 tracks by 3 different DJs. That was cool.

dcdn
18-01-2004, 04:01 AM
One of the first times I ever heard one of my records played out I was just walking in the doors to this one rave and I told my friend next to me, "I've got this record." But I couldn't remember what it was for the life of me. A short while later I realized that it was my record being played! So much for a great memory. Needless to say I thought it was very cool that people were getting down...but to be honest what means even more to me is that I had a good time writing the track.
Another time I heard our first Attack People EP get played out one night. All 3 tracks by 3 different DJs. That was cool.

yeah i got and very much liked abiotic 1 by the attack people!
especially b1 (or a1 dont know but the first track of the side with 2 tracks)
was wondering when abiotic 2 was coming???
cheers

Dustin Zahn
18-01-2004, 04:08 AM
yeah i got and very much liked abiotic 1 by the attack people!
especially b1 (or a1 dont know but the first track of the side with 2 tracks)
was wondering when abiotic 2 was coming???
cheers

#2 in March (The Attack People w/ Mateo Murphy) and #3 in April (Ian Lehman w/ Skoog)

The Overfiend
18-01-2004, 04:09 AM
That's what I'm talking about Don Zahn. Bang those F**kers out!

dan the acid man
18-01-2004, 01:35 PM
nothing better than seeing your jacked out trak making strippers bounce ass cheek

SummerOfSam writes music that makes girls take theyre clothes off, now that is something to be proud of. :clap: :clap: :clap: :notworthy:

Esox Lucius
18-01-2004, 01:38 PM
no you got it wrong dan, summer of sam is a girl who takes off his clothes :lol: ;) (only jokin antonio) ;)

tioneb
18-01-2004, 04:11 PM
eheh that would be good fun hearing some your own music played by other ppl ... i thikn first time it heppend for me it was when butty played in turkey .. anyways tht happen really few for me as i ahvent released something heheh

The Overfiend
18-01-2004, 04:16 PM
no you got it wrong dan, summer of sam is a girl who takes off his clothes :lol: ;) (only jokin antonio) ;)

Only for the other ladies ;)

Esox Lucius
18-01-2004, 04:20 PM
hehe :clap:

DJZeMig_L
18-01-2004, 07:39 PM
summer :notworthy:

Last time I heard I had that happen 2 me was at a party with DJ Rush, I almost didn't make it, but A friend of mine gave him my last 1 on Holzplatten.. he played 2 tracks straight .. then finished his set with the main A track, work that *** ... I arrived just at the end but could still hear the screaming (but I quite sure it was because of the major and not because of the track eheheh :P)... Also Cox is playing it but I kinda have some mixed feeling on that lol...

Z

dfndr
18-01-2004, 07:52 PM
i played my "speed progress " e.p. @ local club...
played it from a cd ,the reaction from the people was great...

disco diva
18-01-2004, 08:09 PM
I think if I ever made a tune & it was played out in a club, id pee my pants, wow be excellent, specially if the crowd go off on it!!! :clap:

dfndr
18-01-2004, 08:13 PM
nice to see when people are going mad on your tune...

disco diva
18-01-2004, 08:32 PM
nice to see when people are going mad on your tune...

I bet!!! Be nice to be able to make a tune, let alone have it played out!!!

The Overfiend
19-01-2004, 03:38 AM
Jack will always rule, and Ze Mig L no mixed reactions when you get the royalty check if he decides to use your track on a cd eh ;)

timo
19-01-2004, 05:33 AM
for the first time you hear the track in a club you might be euphoric or just say "wow", but you'll get used to it :D

MARKEG
19-01-2004, 07:59 AM
yeah once you've been producing a while and play your track out, you're always thinking 'shit i wish i'd have made those hi-hats 1db louder' or 'damn that bit goes on a little bit too much'. you can't win.

i suppose that's the problem. you're always striving for perfection. but in reality the crowd arent all walking off the floor cause you decided to put that 'annoying' clap on the off beat instead of the on beat. hahaha. you should be happy - but you're not! it feels like your dirty washing is out for everyone to see!

i think as a producer it takes alot of years to become confident with your sound and what you have made. it sounds so silly to explain it to someone who would give their arm and leg to even have half a day making tracks, but you're hardly ever happy!

but when you are, you know you've got an absolute killer track on your hands :)

Dustin Zahn
19-01-2004, 08:03 AM
Yeah I look back at my first records i put out and think to myself that the mixdown on my part was quite horrible. A lot of people don't really notice the difference but when you're an audiophile like me you can tell when it sounds like shit in the mix. :)

It may be the hardest part about being a producer, coming to terms with your productions and accepting them for what they are. The other part is waiting a f'n year for them to come out. ;)

disco diva
19-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Yeah I look back at my first records i put out and think to myself that the mixdown on my part was quite horrible. A lot of people don't really notice the difference but when you're an audiophile like me you can tell when it sounds like shit in the mix. :)

It may be the hardest part about being a producer, coming to terms with your productions and accepting them for what they are. The other part is waiting a f'n year for them to come out. ;)

yeh I guess your right, as a clubber, you go & dance & enjoy the tunes & dont always notice things, but as a dj or producer, I suposse you listen out more how shall I say it cock ups & bad sounds!!
My fella dj's & it can be really annoying at times cos im there stomping away & I can tell he is stood there listening for wicked mixes & bad ones, rather than relaxing & having fun!! :roll: ;)

MARKEG
19-01-2004, 11:26 AM
good point diva. the key i think is to be able to distance yourself from your own production and listen to it for what it is - music to spaz out too!!!!

DJZeMig_L
19-01-2004, 02:56 PM
U gotta assume U'll always go wrong somewhere so u just close yer eys tight and try 2 look confident, :shhh: :pray: .. as i generally say... If there is people crazy enought 2 play our tracks then we must have donne something right I guess...! :) Also funny is when i had some crazy mistake or something in the track and that's what people really luv, that's what I call rubbing it in!! lol :silenced:

Z

DJZeMig_L
19-01-2004, 02:58 PM
PS - If u ask most real producers they still feel a bit at lost, just like, "... how come people are into something that a "kid" like me did while twisting some knobs 4 fun!..." I know I do...!

Z

Louk
19-01-2004, 03:00 PM
Tom Costelloe playe dmy track at Dance Academy

the whole purpose of me making tunes int he last 2 years has been to get them played at that venue

happy days.

Louk

daviec
19-01-2004, 07:54 PM
I think there's two variations on the feeling. There's playing your own track out. Seeing folk react to it is an awesome feeling, but I think that's dwarfed by the feeling I get when I hear someone else play a track of mine.

The first time it happened I actually had a sore jaw from smiling so hard :) and spen tmost of the track running round the club telling everyone I knew it was my track. :lol:

herman
19-01-2004, 10:22 PM
when i started to release stuff two of the biggest influence's on me at the time was derrick may and jeff mills and that was always a huge goal of mine to get one or both of those two to play something i had made, saw derrick may a little while after the first thing i ever did came out and heard him play it was as near to a religious experience as i will ever get i think ;)

dirty_bass
19-01-2004, 11:54 PM
If u ask most real producers they still feel a bit at lost, just like, "... how come people are into something that a "kid" like me did while twisting some knobs 4 fun!..." I know I do...!

That`s about it, it feels, really humbling to me. Especially if the dancefloor is kicking off. Sends shivers down my spine every time.
That`s the whole point for me, not an ego thing, but to reach out and touch people, to affect them in some (positive) way.

disco diva
20-01-2004, 10:30 AM
If u ask most real producers they still feel a bit at lost, just like, "... how come people are into something that a "kid" like me did while twisting some knobs 4 fun!..." I know I do...!

That`s about it, it feels, really humbling to me. Especially if the dancefloor is kicking off. Sends shivers down my spine every time.
That`s the whole point for me, not an ego thing, but to reach out and touch people, to affect them in some (positive) way.

Well said!!! As a clubber, to me, hearing a tune that sends shivers down my spine & makes the hairs on my arm stick up, is what it is all about!! ;)

dfndr
20-01-2004, 05:05 PM

Well said!!! As a clubber, to me, hearing a tune that sends shivers down my spine & makes the hairs on my arm stick up, is what it is all about!! ;)

and dont forget that track that makes you horny...
i just love your avatar...

disco diva
20-01-2004, 05:19 PM
Thanx dfdnr!! ;) tunes that make you horny eh!!!! :shock:

dfndr
20-01-2004, 05:21 PM
and randy...
do you smoke after sex?
oh i didnt check...
:clap:

disco diva
20-01-2004, 05:29 PM
before, during & after!! OFF TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nono: ;)

dfndr
20-01-2004, 06:04 PM
before, during & after!! OFF TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nono: ;)

:love:

Tony
20-01-2004, 06:14 PM

rrrrrrrrr................mother...............fuki n.....................yeaaaaaa!!

dfndr
20-01-2004, 06:16 PM
oi tony...user 17...

Komplex
23-01-2004, 02:36 AM
it feels like your dirty washing is out for everyone to see!

hehe

death on a stick
26-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Hearing Derrick May play one of my records was one of the most pleasing times I heard my records played out. Also going to Lost one time in 1999 I think it was, and hearing Steve Bicknell playing two tracks off two new releases I did, then Luke Slater coming on and starting his set with another track off another new release of mine. Smart. Still never heard Mills playing one of my tunes although he does tell me he plays them. I managed to miss Richie Hawtin playing one at Sonar last year as I was listening to DJ Krush in the next room. I thought Hawtin's set was awful so wandered off, then got a text from a friend saying "ha ha Hawtin's playing one of your tunes". Can't stand Hawtin's DJing but it would have been nice to see 15,000 people dancing to my track.

When one of my records get played I normally stand still and just observe the dancefloor to see how people are reacting. I like it when people fall over.

slavestudios
28-01-2004, 12:20 PM
i play my nu shit on cdr when i play out (aint signed a 12 yet) and theres been a few times ppl have went hat stand. its a great feelin.

playing your own shit beside Rush & Speedy J records & it holds the floor...

last time i done it was in Dublin on thursday there at Electri City & they went apeshit. sorta scared me a lil bit. felt quite... i dont know. really weird. but the floor went bananas.

hope to have a site with audio for me work soon.

but yeah, playin your own trax to a floor & watchin them lose it to your shit is a wonderful feelin. blows any drug ive ever done outta the water

:lol:

FRESHTECHNO
28-01-2004, 02:47 PM
The Realm is pretty cool track. tribal and funky.

278d7e64a374de26f==