PDA

View Full Version : Techno has finally come full circle..

MARK ANXIOUS
22-02-2009, 07:11 AM
All you guys who thought techno was BAM BAM BAM. Well it's NOT!!!

And minimal has made sure of that!!!

Anyway, this is not a thread about minimal and how some people love it and some hate it. This is about how the last few years has suddenly made people aware of the fact that there's alot more out there than just a 2 bar loop and tribal bongos.

Funny isnt it how we all get caught in a rut. You kinda get carried away with a certain sound or style. But the beauty of techno is, and always will be, it's ability to mutate into something that throws us all off guard, out of balance. You show me another form of music that can do this.

.. well there is of course.. hehehe

BUT IT ALWAYS THE MUSIC THAT DOES THIS, THAT SURVIVES..... ;)

And in the words of Phuture (sort of haha).. 'Techno, will survive'....

Once you understand what techno actually is, you can actually do away with genres, classification. Techno really is sooo much. Hard, minimal, funky, tribal, you can go on and on.

And the last few years has meant more and more ppl truly understand this. I'm so proud to have followed this sound from the very off, back when Juan Atkins had a fetish for spaceship sounds, but I'm even more proud to sit here and see what it has all developed into, the different types of ppl we've got on board, and what it's mutated back into.

IMHO Techno truly has come full circle. I simply can't wait for the next 10 years.

RDR
22-02-2009, 08:55 AM
You're being positive again mark! Stop it... thats not what we do round here.
:lol:

:clap: for these comments. :wink:

DannyBlack
22-02-2009, 11:48 AM
I think what has helped me understand what techno is, is BOA. I mean before this site I was unaware of anything outside of my tunnel vision. I had one specific style and I wouldn't budge.

Granted I brought that narrow mindedness with me, but over time and being exposed to different types of Techno I have finally rid myself of it.

Yeah I agree, Techno does seem to be coming full circle. There have been some crazy changes in sound over the past couple of years. I don't think it sounds as futuristic as perhaps it did in the late 80's and 90's but it certainly does seem to have developed more of an intelligent sound.

I love Techno. ALL Techno.

tekara
23-02-2009, 06:19 AM
It's true.

I'll agree with much of the content of this thread.

This whole evolution of techno argument very much reminds me of the "old vs. new" argument for pretty much ANYTHING in life.

Human beings are quite stubborn by nature and get comfortable with what they like. The usual argument for why old music (techno in this case) is much better new music is usually driven by the same people who believe something similar to this:

Old film camers are better than new digital cameras

Old analogue synthesizers are better than new VST plugins

Old 1990's hiphop was much better than modern day poppy hiphop

Old techno (via Juan Atkins to Danilo Vigorito) is better than new minimal (Ricardo Villalobose, etc)

Old 12" vinyls are better than new mp3 technology

Old turntables are better than CD-players

I think you get the point. We tend to always pay homage to anything that is "old" and we use it as a way to justify why its so much better than anything "new". For me, techno has come around full circle exactly as pointed out. As technology progresses, so does music. I'll be the first to admit that I complained when minimal peeped its head around the corner 4-5 years ago and I was deeply disheartened when I realized everyone from Chris Liebing to DJ Rush were playing minimal tracks (DJ RUSH FOR PHUKS SAKES!). But then I realized this was very much needed to keep the sound progressing.

While I still enjoy much of the late 1990's techno records more so than the stuff now, I won't go bashing the new stuff simply because what I listened to was considered "old". It's the new stuff that keeps pushing the boundaries of techno.

I'd hate to be the Derrick May of Techno (ie; make some incredible tracks 20 years ago, then NEVER make another record again for 2 decades and do nothing but complain about how "their sound" was stolen by Europe and that nothing impresses him outside of Detroit).

By the way, I hope I don't get flamed for that Derrick May comment. I respect him as a pioneer, but I think many of you guys know what I'm talking about.

The_Laughing_Man
23-02-2009, 12:29 PM
I don`t know I agree
I love minimal, but I love all sorts of music. Minimal has more to do with house than techno really, which is why it has such mass appeal.
I don`t see anyone attempting to innovate or try anything different very much, all I see are two camps, those that are rolling over, accepting minimal as the only way to continue with techno, or those that are going back to the early 90`s sound.
Maybe a 3rd camp is just carrying on doing the same as they were.

I see less of an unerground current within techno. It is there, but it is very very small.
It pains me that even with the advent of digital media, where labels can afford to take risks again, no one is. We just have loads and loads of labels mimicking the trend sound of the moment.
It seems the X-Factor generation is winning, and people are more concerned with a quick fix to fame or popularity rather than a concern with artistic integrity.

That`s not to say there isn`t genuine explorimentation going on, or that there isn`t good techno out there, but really considering the opportunity for risks that the digital age has brought us, things are remarkably beige.

doc12inch
23-02-2009, 12:52 PM
I love techno and also the Bongos !!

jon connor
23-02-2009, 01:27 PM
http://darmano.typepad.com/logic_emotion/images/2008/10/23/full_circle.jpg

MITA
23-02-2009, 02:01 PM
lets all hold hands

DJPAUZE
23-02-2009, 02:17 PM
lets all hold hands

http://ameenanotamina.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/holding-hands.jpg

eppertheleper
23-02-2009, 04:10 PM
I equate hard techno to really heavy metal. It's the intensity of both that draws me to them. Slayer isn't for everyone. Those same people would probably last about two minutes listening to an Ogi set before making an ugly face and walking out of the room.

Mnml just doesn't have that same "grit your teeth" hardness. There's some really great stuff going on in mnml, but it just doesn't do the same thing for me as the pounders. Both definitely have their place, though, and I'm glad to see electronic music is still evolving rather than stagnating.

I just wish I could, for ten minutes, listen to a few productions that will come out twenty years from now. Would I understand it? Would I like it? Would I make the aforementioned "this is too hard" face and walk out of the room?

Darkmode
25-02-2009, 09:57 PM
I don`t know I agree
I love minimal, but I love all sorts of music. Minimal has more to do with house than techno really, which is why it has such mass appeal.
I don`t see anyone attempting to innovate or try anything different very much, all I see are two camps, those that are rolling over, accepting minimal as the only way to continue with techno, or those that are going back to the early 90`s sound.
Maybe a 3rd camp is just carrying on doing the same as they were.

I see less of an unerground current within techno. It is there, but it is very very small.
It pains me that even with the advent of digital media, where labels can afford to take risks again, no one is. We just have loads and loads of labels mimicking the trend sound of the moment.
It seems the X-Factor generation is winning, and people are more concerned with a quick fix to fame or popularity rather than a concern with artistic integrity.

That`s not to say there isn`t genuine explorimentation going on, or that there isn`t good techno out there, but really considering the opportunity for risks that the digital age has brought us, things are remarkably beige.

You have hit the nail on the head I have been saying something simular to my friends I think it has come to the point the majority people are writting & producing music for the wrong reasons basicly to make money & to be famous.

Now it's come to the point that the music that is getting released all sounds the same & is totally soulless & some labels & promoters are not interested in an artist if they are not Minimal

So I will say it again & some won't agree but I think Minimal has done the Techno scene more harm than good!

MITA
25-02-2009, 11:00 PM
minimal has awaken wish for energy of techno again ~

jon connor
01-03-2009, 04:40 PM
well if it got any slower it wud be lets bring a sleeping bag to the gig and fall a sleep and have nice ambient dreams jesus how the hell are you supposed to dance to that stuff just stand there and blow bubbles from your mouth all night.

djfilthmonger
02-03-2009, 09:36 AM
well if it got any slower it wud be lets bring a sleeping bag to the gig and fall a sleep and have nice ambient dreams jesus how the hell are you supposed to dance to that stuff just stand there and blow bubbles from your mouth all night.

ha ha so true

The_Laughing_Man
02-03-2009, 02:11 PM
I don`t see minimal as being a problem at all, it is just another type of music.
Moaning about what it is is a bit like moaning about country and western.
If you don`t like it, then don`t listen to it.

The only problem I see is producers losing the will to stand alone and create, and instead just follow the cliche sounds of minimal.
May as well just follow the most popular sound, full stop, and make pop.

djfilthmonger
02-03-2009, 02:46 PM
I don`t see minimal as being a problem at all, it is just another type of music.

The only problem I see is producers losing the will to stand alone and create, and instead just follow the cliche sounds of minimal.
May as well just follow the most popular sound, full stop, and make pop.

well i dont listen to it. but its hard when for the last few years where im from all the clubs play house and minimal and thats it , its only this year that there is more proper techno coming back. like seriouolsy i know young fellas who got into techno recently over the last few years and they honestly think anything not minimal is not techno. im actually quiet happy i can go out a techno night again and not be bored. speedy j is playing here soon , cant wait for that technasia as well. so its all good.

stjohn
02-03-2009, 04:51 PM

i see what your sayin but i dont think the analogy holds up. mnml could be guilty for directly pinching underground techno's potential. its easy to listen to, most of the time its relatively energetic, and its pretty disposable, which alot of everyday punters seem to get attached to. big clubs would much prefer to put on this trendy music because they bring a certain crowd. so there is a direct correalation between the activity and popularity of the two IMO.

that saying, ive always believed that variety is spice of life and theres room for everything in good nights music. even country & western....:rolleyes:

either way it doesnt affect me that much, because i buy the stuff i like, and try to make the stuff i like, no genre omitted. but it is less and less often that you see/hear good honest-to-jaysus techno out and about.

stjohn
02-03-2009, 04:54 PM
speedy j is playing here soon

dont be so sure.... wasnt v impressed when he was over last month. i actually left :rolleyes:

djfilthmonger
02-03-2009, 05:06 PM
dont be so sure.... wasnt v impressed when he was over last month. i actually left :rolleyes:

really i dont think i can make it any who. I seen him play in the metropolitian in dublin years ago the first time he played . amazing gig.

also seen Collabs 3000 over at I Love Techno a few years also was amazing. I dont know how id feel if Speedy J disapointed me . absolute legend

The_Laughing_Man
02-03-2009, 06:38 PM
i see what your sayin but i dont think the analogy holds up. mnml could be guilty for directly pinching underground techno's potential. its easy to listen to, most of the time its relatively energetic, and its pretty disposable, which alot of everyday punters seem to get attached to. big clubs would much prefer to put on this trendy music because they bring a certain crowd. so there is a direct correalation between the activity and popularity of the two IMO.

that saying, ive always believed that variety is spice of life and theres room for everything in good nights music. even country & western....:rolleyes:

either way it doesnt affect me that much, because i buy the stuff i like, and try to make the stuff i like, no genre omitted. but it is less and less often that you see/hear good honest-to-jaysus techno out and about.

Minimal never stole any crowd.
Those that walked away from techno and hopped to minimal, were never into the former beyond it being something to go clubbing to. They will hop to the next fashion when it occurs.
Minimal is just house mostly, and the house crowd dig it.
But again, I think people are looking in the wrong direction.

Pure Techno has always been underground, and probably always will, it is an aqquired taste, and doesn`t pander to the masses, it became fashionable for a while, and now has gone back underground.

Clubs will always go for the money maker, minimal again, is not to blame.

Also I think techno has evolved, and a lot of what I would consider to be techno these days, most die hard techno fans wouldn`t call techno, because it doesn`t fit their narrow brackets.

I think the main complaint can be translated to "why hasn`t techno stayed exactly the same as it always was?"

The answer?
Because that isn`t what techno is about.

miss kosmix
04-03-2009, 01:17 PM
lets all hold hands

u hippy!
:P

speed-it-up
05-03-2009, 03:56 PM
really i dont think i can make it any who. I seen him play in the metropolitian in dublin years ago the first time he played . amazing gig.

also seen Collabs 3000 over at I Love Techno a few years also was amazing. I dont know how id feel if Speedy J disapointed me . absolute legend

His set @ Atomic Jam wasn't all that.

278d7e64a374de26f==