18-01-2004, 12:40 AM
Anyone catch it?

The Overfiend
18-01-2004, 02:46 AM
Ruskin on Fergie?
Hope he got paid.

dfndr
18-01-2004, 06:51 PM
I have seriouse doubt about James now...
I thought that he was more into underground than overground...

Sunil
18-01-2004, 07:28 PM

You're not serious are you??

dfndr
18-01-2004, 07:54 PM
fergie???and ruskin in one room talking...
sorry man not my cup of tea ... :nono:

buster
18-01-2004, 08:27 PM

WHAT :?: :?: :?:

If you can, check out the Ruskin mix and so called interview by Fergie. Fair enough, Fergie has absolutely no clue about the real techno scene and probably never will because of the circles he's in but don't knock Ruskin for going overground, as you call it. I call it intelligent thinking on Ruskins part as he's getting new people listening to his sound and hopefully they will become true techno fans and come out support the scene.
Would you have said the same if Ruskin had played on John Peel's show :?: :?:

BTW - Do you class Ignition Technician as Overground 'cos they are on Fergie's show in 2 weeks :?: :?:

Larney
18-01-2004, 08:28 PM
At least by going on the show James is providing those who have not been exposed to the darker and more experimental side of techno an opportunity to hear these tracks and his style. And to Fergies credit it would be easy to have the likes of Marco Bailey etc on every week!

Dustin Zahn
18-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Give me a break, he played a simple radio show. Have you heard the upcoming LP or his remix EP for Coda? There's no Fergie-inspired business to worry about. If Fergie asked me to play on the show I would probably take the offer. How do you expect the masses to get into your sound if you have no vehicle to drill it into their heads? Granted the Beyer tracks he played were horrible...I didn't think it was a sell-out move.

Esox Lucius
18-01-2004, 08:34 PM

WHAT :?: :?: :?:

If you can, check out the Ruskin mix and so called interview by Fergie. Fair enough, Fergie has absolutely no clue about the real techno scene and probably never will because of the circles he's in but don't knock Ruskin for going overground, as you call it. I call it intelligent thinking on Ruskins part as he's getting new people listening to his sound and hopefully they will become true techno fans and come out support the scene.
Would you have said the same if Ruskin had played on John Peel's show :?: :?:

BTW - Do you class Ignition Technician as Overground 'cos they are on Fergie's show in 2 weeks :?: :?:

I know what I could call ignition technician recently, it isnt over ground, it begins with s & ends with t :lol: s_ _t ;)

Esox Lucius
18-01-2004, 08:39 PM
as for ruskin, im sure he had his reasons.

that reminds me mills is on peel next week :clap:

buster
:dontevengothere: At least they try :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

dfndr
techno must not be mainsteam ...
i saw for myself that if a lot of people are going for techno,techno will
be "destroyed" !
techno is inteligent music !not for every dude on the street
listening on his headphones !
keep it underground!
as for my music as dustin sed...techno is and must be music for clubs and raves!
fight ther power !!!

Esox Lucius
18-01-2004, 08:43 PM
got to look at it from ruskins or whoever else is on point of view, it would be hard to turn down a chance to get your sound on the radio which is broadcast world wide, as I say they must have their reasons, I bet they have a long hard think about it first.

buster
18-01-2004, 08:52 PM
be "destroyed" !
keep it underground!
as for my music as dustin sed...techno is and must be music for clubs and raves!
fight ther power !!!

The true techno scene will never go mainstream. It's one of the oldest styles of dance/house music around, 20 years in fact, and it has never gone mainstream in all that time. Fergie is a techno DJ, except he plays the commercially viable style which the dude on the street will accept and love. Even if it did, the true players would simply pull away and move direction, taking the real fans with them and leaving the rest to dance to Marco Bailey and Carl Cox and that's fine by me.

Esox Lucius
18-01-2004, 08:53 PM
I wouldnt say fergie is a techno dj, he is a dj that at this moment is playing techno, I seriously dont think he will be in a few years time, imo he is playing what he see's as credible.

dfndr
18-01-2004, 08:58 PM
...ahhh
like to see mark saying something !

buster
18-01-2004, 09:00 PM
I wouldnt say fergie is a techno dj, he is a dj that at this moment is playing techno, I seriously dont think he will be in a few years time, imo he is playing what he see's as credible.

I'm no Fergie fan but in his defense I have to say that he made the decision to move away from the hard house sound a while ago and go down the Euro-Techno route, that makes him a techno DJ. He may change his style in a few years but so do all DJ's as time goes by. I used to play Industrial Strength and MOKUM.

miromiric.
18-01-2004, 09:04 PM
dfndr - sure techno cant be mainstream, but the reason should be not playing around elitist pigs. techno will never be a music for some guy on the street,as you say it, simply cause of it nature and not cause i will not allow him to hear james ruskin.

dfndr
18-01-2004, 09:07 PM
nadam se da me razumes sta sam hteo kazati !
mislim da nije dobro da se tehno cuje sa svih "strana" !
kod nas je to rezultiralo propadanjem nekih klubova...
nema takvih pojava kod vas ?

miromiric.
18-01-2004, 09:09 PM
razumijem.

dfndr just said this mainstreamzation of techno resulted in collapsing underground events cause you could hear it in every snobby club. same situation here. but really, who was playing in those clubs? ruskin like people or local funky wannabe mediocritets?

buster
18-01-2004, 09:11 PM
nadam se da me razumes sta sam hteo kazati !
mislim da nije dobro da se tehno cuje sa svih "strana" !
kod nas je to rezultiralo propadanjem nekih klubova...
nema takvih pojava kod vas ?

:nono: :nono:

Feck Dag htinat tibro ?

dfndr
18-01-2004, 09:12 PM
razumijem.

dfndr just said this mainstreamzation of techno resulted in collapsing underground events cause you could hear it in every snobby club. same situation here. but really, who was playing in those clubs? ruskin like people or local funky wannabe mediocritets?

good djz...played good records...then local radio station got them on cds and played them 24-7 !
the result-no more people in that club...
"techno-thing"was over !the club closed !

miromiric.
18-01-2004, 09:15 PM
here we r overloaded with shitty young djs who r here for the wrong reasons.

Esox Lucius
18-01-2004, 09:17 PM
Is neamhbhuan cogadh na gcarad; má bhÃ*onn sé crua, nÃ* bhÃ*onn sé fada

just thought I would join in with posting stuff that no one else understands :lol: unless there are people who speak gaelic on here? ;)

miromiric.
18-01-2004, 09:19 PM
feel my breath on your face. i have hhhots for you.

slavic boys will spank you if you start topic in galician.

dfndr

just thought I would join in with posting stuff that no one else understands :lol: unless there are people who speak gaelic on here? ;)

miro and i spoked a litlle domestic words...

Esox Lucius
hehe fair enough ;)

buster
18-01-2004, 09:20 PM
I for one hate being in a nearly empty club listening to quality techno ( which has happened on a regular basis recently). I personally don't care if the club is full to the rafters with all and sundry as long as they appreciate the music, don't wear deeley boppers, leave the glowsticks at home and most imprtant of all - They don't tell anyone about it :lol: :lol:

Patrick
18-01-2004, 09:21 PM

;)
Except if it's on a forum, then the row lasts for at least five pages too fecking long. :lol:

Is ón cheann a thagann an cheird. ;)

Esox Lucius
18-01-2004, 09:24 PM
:lol:

dfndr
18-01-2004, 09:25 PM
i am for like keep techno for ourselfs!
give the rest just some litlle thing...just to see wats going on...
just to see the power of our music...
or i got a little tripy now...

buster
18-01-2004, 09:26 PM
ecky ecky ecky ecky fatang wooh................. neeeee !!

One for the Python lads

EmotionComplex
18-01-2004, 10:14 PM

One for the Python lads

bring me..... A SHRUBBERY! nneeeee!!!

massplanck
18-01-2004, 10:19 PM

Stiofan O Braidain is anim dom. Maile scoile, uacther roiche agus bronntannass mor.

There you go. Blame the Christian Brothers.

PS: How the f*ck do you get the fadas working Downwards?

buster
18-01-2004, 10:29 PM

One for the Python lads

bring me..... A SHRUBBERY! nneeeee!!!

NOWWWW, BRING ME A HERRING..................NOOO, NO, NEEEE

this could get silly :lol: :lol:

dfndr
18-01-2004, 10:42 PM
VOLIM KADA TOPICI POCNU SA OZBILJNOM RASPRAVOM...
A KASNIJE SE PRETVORE U ZAJEBANCIJU...

dfndr
18-01-2004, 10:42 PM

buster
18-01-2004, 10:52 PM

I think I tried that at a Greek restaraunt once. :sick:

dan the acid man
18-01-2004, 11:20 PM
well im totally lost now, i wish i'd payed attention in foreign language lessons at school :lol:

as for people playing on radio 1 and being accused of selling out, what a load of rubbish, i for one am looking forward to hearing jeff mills next week.

Dustin Zahn
18-01-2004, 11:29 PM
I don't know about you guys...but here in the states clubs are consistently empty. I wouldn't mind seeing a packed club, or actually making money back on parties we throw with great talent from time to time. To be honest I don't care how commericial the scene gets, because the music I'll play and my friends will play never be appreciated by the masses.

The Overfiend
19-01-2004, 03:24 AM
I don't know about you guys...but here in the states clubs are consistently empty. I wouldn't mind seeing a packed club, or actually making money back on parties we throw with great talent from time to time. To be honest I don't care how commericial the scene gets, because the music I'll play and my friends will play never be appreciated by the masses.

And that's the bottom line.

Patrick
19-01-2004, 09:52 AM

Stiofan O Braidain is anim dom. Maile scoile, uacther roiche agus bronntannass mor.

There you go. Blame the Christian Brothers.

PS: How the f*ck do you get the fadas working Downwards?

Stiofan,
You have to use the ALT + Numeric keys to enter the ascii codes .

ALT + 130 = é
ALT + 160 = á
ALT + 162 = ó

etc. etc.

dfndr
20-01-2004, 08:18 AM
guys i love you all...lets not fight again...
ok?

anx
20-01-2004, 03:59 PM
be "destroyed" !
keep it underground!
fight ther power !!!

i have to totally disagree with you on the bit where you said techno is intelligent. some of it can be interesting and well thought out, but its not going to make you any smarter or enlightened.

dfndr
20-01-2004, 05:03 PM
be "destroyed" !
keep it underground!
fight ther power !!!

i have to totally disagree with you on the bit where you said techno is intelligent. some of it can be interesting and well thought out, but its not going to make you any smarter or enlightened.

some jeff m. or UR tracks are not intelligent to ya?
oky-doky...

spiralx
20-01-2004, 05:14 PM
Nope. Music isn't "intelligent", it's creative.

dfndr
20-01-2004, 05:17 PM
creative=intelligent

anx
20-01-2004, 05:30 PM
no they are not intelligent.

i do not even think that IDM (what a stupid term by the way) is intelligent.

what artist has the nerve to say that their music is intelligent anyways?

creative does not = intelligent.

dfndr
20-01-2004, 05:32 PM
no they are not intelligent.

i do not even think that IDM (what a stupid term by the way) is intelligent.

what artist has the nerve to say that their music is intelligent anyways?

creative does not = intelligent.

:doh:

anx
20-01-2004, 05:34 PM
its probably best that we dont get into this arguement hey

dfndr
20-01-2004, 05:35 PM
:twisted: :rambo: ...
;)

Buttman
20-01-2004, 06:00 PM
I think the word you are looking for is "suggestive" or "thought provoking".

Intelligence = the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations. Show me the music that does that and I will be the greatest fan of it!

dfndr
20-01-2004, 06:02 PM

Intelligence = the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations. Show me the music that does that and I will be the greatest fan of it!

no i will not...
will take that secret to my grave!

Dustin Zahn
20-01-2004, 11:09 PM

Suggestive Dance Music. Has a ring to it. ;)

anx
21-01-2004, 02:17 AM
sounds better than thought provoking dance music :rambo:

slimboy
21-01-2004, 05:20 PM
Back to the original topic.. did anyone listen to Ruskin on Radio 1 & if so what did he have to say in the interview?

buster
21-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Back to the original topic.. did anyone listen to Ruskin on Radio 1 & if so what did he have to say in the interview?

The interview was as to be expected from someone like Fergie asking the questions.
EG:- I see you've got a cold there
How long has your label been running
Which DJ's do you like.............................

need I go on?

Fergie might aswell of asked him who his best friend is at the moment.

dfndr
21-01-2004, 07:44 PM

The interview was as to be expected from someone like Fergie asking the questions.
EG:- I see you've got a cold there
How long has your label been running
Which DJ's do you like.............................

need I go on?

Fergie might aswell of asked him who his best friend is at the moment.

thats what i wanted to say @ the begining...
james ruskin dont mix with fergie in the same room ! :evil:

Sunil
21-01-2004, 09:59 PM
thats what i wanted to say @ the begining...
james ruskin dont mix with fergie in the same room ! :evil:

I think that's up to Ruskin to decide!

dfndr
21-01-2004, 10:03 PM
good point!

JACKSTAR
22-01-2004, 01:31 AM
What I find odd is that everyone slags off the Fergie show yet everyone seems to tune in !!!!
I never listen to anything remotely techno on the radio as I know it's like finding a needle in a haystack. I'm a Jazz FM man when it comes to the radio. All the pirate stations in London just play the usual garage / jungle / ragga and anything else legal is just pants.

I must admit if Fergie asked me to do a guest mix I think I would have to do it because at the end of the day its great publicity for my music & label where you wouldn't get that sort of coverage and i'm sure 70% of Fergie's audiance would hate it or just find it too hard. I think people should stop giving these Techno dj's a hard time because these are hard times for getting any airplay in the UK and if we can get more people buying our music then surely that's a good thing ?

The thing in the UK is that the country is full of music snobs that like to cut there nose off dispite there face and basically this is why the country is full of empty techno clubs.

Techno DJ's play on the Fergie show - so what !!! get over it guys.

That's my rant over with.

P.

slimboy
22-01-2004, 01:59 PM
Looked at the tracklisting for Ruskins' set on the R1 website and although
he played 1 Bailey tune the rest of the mix was mostly Coda/Blueprint/Surface material.

Seems to me, as Mr. Langley says, he stuck to his guns and presented his own sound to a larger audience. Nowt wrong with that really when he could've just mixed up a load of Ignition Technician tunes and gained himself a few moneyspinning sets with Fergie down Gatecrasher.

MARKEG
26-01-2004, 10:37 PM
What I find odd is that everyone slags off the Fergie show yet everyone seems to tune in !!!!
I never listen to anything remotely techno on the radio as I know it's like finding a needle in a haystack. I'm a Jazz FM man when it comes to the radio. All the pirate stations in London just play the usual garage / jungle / ragga and anything else legal is just pants.

I must admit if Fergie asked me to do a guest mix I think I would have to do it because at the end of the day its great publicity for my music & label where you wouldn't get that sort of coverage and i'm sure 70% of Fergie's audiance would hate it or just find it too hard. I think people should stop giving these Techno dj's a hard time because these are hard times for getting any airplay in the UK and if we can get more people buying our music then surely that's a good thing ?

The thing in the UK is that the country is full of music snobs that like to cut there nose off dispite there face and basically this is why the country is full of empty techno clubs.

Techno DJ's play on the Fergie show - so what !!! get over it guys.

That's my rant over with.

P.

I'm there with you, by your side man. I am too having this problem at the moment, getting booked at some slightly more commercial clubs than I'm used to and I'm afraid to say that we all need to spread our message or we all die. **** the music snobs.

278d7e64a374de26f==