PDA

View Full Version : What do you define as Acid Techno

DJ Tomi
18-01-2004, 03:05 PM
It's wierd, i can identify wat is and isnt an acid techno tune but i cant actually say what is in one, e.g. i cant say wat noises determine it an acid tune

just wondering wat other ppl definitions were

:)

dan the acid man
18-01-2004, 03:24 PM
thers no real noises that define an acid or london techno sound, its more the feel in my opinion, the tracks tend to build up alot and evolve, its also made for the dance floor, well most of the time anyway which i like.

jonnyspeed
18-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Alright Tomi !

well for start it ain't hard house but Hard House has borrowed alot from acid techno - no chiken and egg situation here Acid was first - and nowt wrong with a bit of HH especially if you're gay and that.

Well i'm my mind its a few things - 303's help but alot doesn't have 303s like cluster, routemaster, yolk, powertools etc. then it comes down to labels and that rollercoaster banging party sound. For example Lars Klien's Virus EP is very acid techno but some people would shoot you for saying it but Powertools is hard techno, that frankly everybody would agree with (except maybe a few inbreds from scotland [sic])

In the UK acid techno is almost exclusively Truelove or truelove collaborated artists. In the US it has a more old skool feel and very 303 based like Woody McBride/DJ ESP.

But frankly, acid is a happy party attitude that means you ain't sat on a sofa in some shiny shithole in Islington/Clapham paying £4 a pint for every cunt to ignore you, its being battered in a warehouse or a field witha big smile on your face - or is that squat? :)

jonnyspeed
18-01-2004, 04:17 PM
phat dirty analogue really helps :)

Esox Lucius
18-01-2004, 04:19 PM
a lot of people define it differently i suppose, for me it has to have a 303 for it to be classed as acid, I dont see how it can be otherwise.

any of the acid geezer's care to explain to me in more depth please feel free to, I cant say I am that clued up on the acid/london scene.

jonnyspeed
18-01-2004, 05:04 PM
it kind a goes something like this. Acid with the 303s has certain style to it that once you remove the 303s its still a slightly different in sound to alot of other techno and generally still has alot of heavy analogue bass lines - so when the acid sound changed from quite trancy sound 9aka Choci) to the harder techno sound (aka Stay Up Forever) ~1998 labels like Cluster were making "acid techno without the 303's". So now you see Powertools WahWah both classed as acid techno although powertools is hard techno and wahwah is old skool - so I guess its a strong fault of the artists and labels.

spiralx
18-01-2004, 06:29 PM
It's also in the structure... there tends to be a more defined start, middle, breakdown and end than a lot of harder, loopier stuff.

dirty_bass
18-01-2004, 07:29 PM
Well, acid techno (as defined by the london sound, which is where it started [not acid, but Acid Techno, before you historians go nuts]), has a definate format, which hasn`t changed too much since Routmaster 1 and other earlier releases.
It has a very defined structure, beginning, breakdown, mad bit, outro.
Normally very 909 based percussion, not too sample-loopy, with analogue basslines and synth stabs on the abrasive side.
Generally, it has a 303 but not necessarily, they generally build, and take you somewhere. It`s most easily recognised by the attitude of taking the piss, and screw authority etc.
But I generally still recognise it by the very "909-ey" percussion, hard house tempo`s and the fact it generally builds.

I wouldn`t say power tools was hard techno though, it`s Ants acid techno, and follows all the above statements.

disco diva
18-01-2004, 08:12 PM
[quote="jonnyspeed"]Alright Tomi !

well for start it ain't hard house but Hard House has borrowed alot from acid techno - no chiken and egg situation here Acid was first - and nowt wrong with a bit of HH especially if you're gay and that.

quote]

:lol: :lol: I must be gay then, cos im currently lovin the acid tones in the HH scene at the mo, its awesome, is acid!!! whicky, whicky, warp, warp, eee, eee!!!! ;)

jonnyspeed
18-01-2004, 10:37 PM
Thanks Dirty Bass! I guess one man's hard techno is another man's... but that's waht I was trying to say :)

...and Disco Diva as I said nowt wrong with a bit of HH.

John Vella
19-01-2004, 05:47 AM
Yeah it's all about the feel for sure....

I think of acid techno as party style of techno with a punkish attitude....

Like it's designed to get up and have fun and go crazy to......

:cool:

-jOHNNY

The Overfiend
19-01-2004, 06:05 AM
I think the word that defines Acid Techno is Liberator
& co.

spiralx
19-01-2004, 02:47 PM
I think of acid techno as party style of techno with a punkish attitude....

Like it's designed to get up and have fun and go crazy to......
It's not intelligent, it's not from Detroit... but it's ****ing avin' it! :clap:

DJ Tomi
19-01-2004, 09:33 PM
now do escuse me for being ignorant but wat is 303 and 909?

i hear ppl go on about em but i'm not to sure wat is...

Esox Lucius
19-01-2004, 09:36 PM
seriously you dont know what a 303 is? :shock: I thought you were into acid techno mate? ;) :doh:

jonnyspeed
19-01-2004, 09:55 PM
checkout google for "roland TB303" and "roland TR909", analogue baseline and a drum machine.

And downwards - chill, man you don't need to know all the history to have a good part - you've gotta start somewhere. :roll:

MrAcid
19-01-2004, 10:26 PM
i really wanna read dave the drummer´s opinion in this topic

Esox Lucius
19-01-2004, 10:35 PM
checkout google for "roland TB303" and "roland TR909", analogue baseline and a drum machine.

And downwards - chill, man you don't need to know all the history to have a good part - you've gotta start somewhere. :roll:

I know, I know, I was only jokin with dj tomi, I wasnt being serious, hence the ;)

dan the acid man
19-01-2004, 10:35 PM

he's probably a bit busy at the minute playing in some far flung corner of the world

MrAcid
20-01-2004, 01:11 AM

he's probably a bit busy at the minute playing in some far flung corner of the world

hehe , i know , but i still wanna read it , when he comeback ;)

so , i can´t define acidtechno , i just love it :love: :love: :love:

jonnyspeed
20-01-2004, 01:42 AM
Dirty Bass is pretty much spot on with the way he tells it.

Sunil
20-01-2004, 02:14 AM
Acid Techno (London Acid, Liberators etc.) as it is now doesn't interest me so much, however it did in its first few years, and I think it still serves its purpose, certainly put a lot more fun back into things. What I consider to be classic acid techno is stuff that happened well before all of this like "Acid Trax", the Labworks label, Phuture 303, Woody McBride, Hawtin, Hardfloor, some UR records, hell.. loads of stuff, everyone was at it at one stage. I know this doesn't come under the acid techno tag of nowadays although I wonder how many people who are into Acid Techno now watch out for the older stuff or dig into its history? I'm not knocking anyone but I think it could be a question some people should ask themselves and look into!!

One beauty that should be checked out is Emmanuel Top, "Lobotomie" on Novamute, picked it up over the weekend :)

jonnyspeed
20-01-2004, 08:46 AM
Completely agree that Richie Hawtin, Hardfloor and the likes of McBride on Drop Bass Network were the original acid techno - before any of the liberator crew were. If you look at old Ant and Geezer stuff on VCF and Dave the Drummer's Assault EP on Boscaland - its very, most definately acid trance. Routemaster/Cluster/SUF changed the sound to be more techno but definately wasn't the first acid techno even if they are strong innovators within the scene.

278d7e64a374de26f==