PDA

View Full Version : Masterin finished tracks

Tugie
18-01-2004, 03:35 PM
Hi ive just got my comp online.
I was looking through this forum & just wanderd if anyone could help me, im finding it a blag to master my tunes.

They sound fine through my near feild monitors, but once its one CD and i try to mix with vinyl they just dont sound right, the kicks arnt punchy enough & the top end is too TINNY, no matter how i try there doesn't seem to be any mid.

so has anyone got any tips on masterin and compression ?
Thanks

EmotionComplex
18-01-2004, 03:40 PM
Hi ive just got my comp online.
I was looking through this forum & just wanderd if anyone could help me, im finding it a blag to master my tunes.

They sound fine through my near feild monitors, but once its one CD and i try to mix with vinyl they just dont sound right, the kicks arnt punchy enough & the top end is too TINNY, no matter how i try there doesn't seem to be any mid.

so has anyone got any tips on masterin and compression ?
Thanks

if there sounding fine on your monitors but weak on other systems you should be checking the mix between a few systems as you work.
It'd also point to your monitors having inaccuracys youl need to fathom out and get used to working with.

dont forget also that the music your mixing with has been professionaly mastered so theres allways going to be a differnt sound between your own tracks, digital sound and analog is obviously a big difference too.

have you got anything i could have a listen to ?

Barely Human
18-01-2004, 03:46 PM
Take a track of someones that is similar to the one you want to master. Then do a frequancy analasis on both tracks, then try to get yours to match that one. The steinberg free filter plugin will actualy do this for ya, but ity doesnt always work properly.

MARKEG
18-01-2004, 05:59 PM
good advice iq. this is how i learnt alot about how to master my own stuff.

EmotionComplex
18-01-2004, 06:24 PM
the sprectrum analysers in wavelab are excellent :love:

RichieV
18-01-2004, 08:09 PM
in my opinion

mastering should not make or break a mix. IF it sounds bad before mastering , it will sound bad after mastering. I would look at other elements of yoru mix first hand before messing with mastering. SOunds like an eq problem you are having.

Me personannaly i have'nt really found any shortcuts for getting great eqs. There are tons of guidelines but i think it just takes time to develop your ears.

I usually listen to music very closely for one hour a day and try to get good mix sound thru osmosis!!

Tugie
18-01-2004, 10:12 PM
the best thing i can do is show u some of my tracks but im avin trouble wit my web space n cant seem t up load anythin so if anyone ear wants t hear some of my stuff nuv got broadband wit a big enough mail box give me ur address n ill e-mail em 2 ye as n mp3 ill be on till abt 23.30.

Louk
19-01-2004, 03:27 PM
my mixes are FAR FAR FAR from perfect but i'd say you need to EQ more and maybe work on compressing the kick and the bass to match the volume of other tracks.

One problem i have is of putting far too many hi hats and hi-end percussion in my tunes

Louk

P.S tugie abyss says I look like you. :)

DJ IKON
19-01-2004, 04:32 PM
P.S tugie abyss says I look like you. :)

Gutted man!

Louk
19-01-2004, 06:58 PM
hahaha

Louk

Ed Mant
20-01-2004, 05:12 PM
defo to do with the eq'ing more.

i spend about 6-10 hours writing the track and then more than double this tweaking all the levels and re eqing stuff. i always use at least 3 different kicks in tracks too. 1 really short one, and then two harder ones shortened down to be punchy. i also use them in 1/16th size not 1/8th as i used to and it makes a lot of difference.

also, check all the eq's on ur amp and speakers are set to 0. sounds obvious i know but may be something to check

i also burn them onto cd and listen to them on as many different systems as possible. ie: from pc, through a cdj and mixer, car stereo, lounge stereo, maybe even stick them on tape and listen to them through that medium.

for punchier kicks, turn the length of them down and turn them right up. i used to suffer much the same with the kicks sounding really farty. now i use shiort kick sounds and compress them but mainly have them louder than everything. in other words, turn all the other soundss down and the kicks up. turn the bass down low too for hard trance. and the perc only needs to be quite low as higher frequencies become louder when on different systems.

HTH

louk: how many HH etc do u use? i always have at least 4 HH in tracks. just layered underneath for the short sounding ones, and louder for the main ones. keep really tinny ones down low too.

Tugie
20-01-2004, 07:32 PM
SEE HERE

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10940

EmotionComplex
20-01-2004, 07:37 PM
SEE HERE

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=120019#120019

enlightening stuff :lol: ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==