PDA

View Full Version : Pirate radio - Poll and give your opinions.

RDR
03-03-2009, 08:20 AM
This report got me thinking

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7919748.stm

IMO its scare mongering, particularly in light of the fact that the headlines talks about the radio 'risking lives' then goes on to defend commercial stations and says nothing about lives being put at stake.

Whats your opinion? I played on a few over the years, ones that served a need for dance music where there was non.

DannyBlack
03-03-2009, 08:42 AM
I would be inclined to agree CHris. It is scare mongering. Pirate radio does not conform to an organised controlled society, it does not bow down to copy right and it allows opions free of legal constraints to be broadcast.

I love Pirate radio. It does NOT risk lives.

Francisco Scaramanga
03-03-2009, 11:19 AM
What a load of bullshit. I'm not sure what frequencies emergency services use, but they are probably not right bang in the middle of the commercial FM range. I played on one round here a few years back, and the guy who ran it was a bit of a radio genius, his pirate station had a better signal than alot of the commercial ones around here. Not so much in terms of strength (tho it was definately strong), but it didnt bleed over into other frequency ranges, at all. Unfortunatey after running it for many years he was finally busted in such a way that if he ever does it again he would go to prison for awhile.

I reckon it would be cool to start a pirate TV station when the digital switchover happens. Obviously most people will still have analog capabilities, and all that bandwidth will be left wide open.

doc12inch
03-03-2009, 12:46 PM
oh no I voted yes and meant no

ive thrown my vote away!!!

DannyBlack
03-03-2009, 01:28 PM
I reckon it would be cool to start a pirate TV station when the digital switchover happens. Obviously most people will still have analog capabilities, and all that bandwidth will be left wide open.

Thats a bloody good idea.

dan the acid man
03-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Like the people who ran one of the pirate radio stations stated in that article, equipment used these days is much better and easier to control, so stations broadcasting on the same frequencies as the emrgency services hardly ever happens these days, not that it ever did really in the first place.

Jay Pace
03-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Sad really.

Britain prides itself on being cutting edge, cultured and having a music industry that punches well above its weight, considering we're a tiny little island.

Some of the most important people in music, industry anchors and key presenters started their careers on pirate radio.

Commercial radio needs pirate radio. Saving lives is one thing, protecting revenues is another. I don't think their motivation is about saving lives, its about tax and licensing revenues.

RDR
03-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Thats exactly what its about. The article starts speaking about saving lives and there being drug money there but makes NO mention of it AT ALL, or on the TV clip, or the radio show.

And after looking at the various bands, the frequencies used by the police and emergency services bands are outside even the range of normal consumer radios, somewhere in the region of 130mhz and up or below 80mhz

Check it out, there are multiple bands above and below consumer bands doing all sorts of stuff. Its quite interesting really.

http://www.ajpotts.fsnet.co.uk/spectrum.html

278d7e64a374de26f==