PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Metal

The Overfiend
19-01-2004, 06:25 AM
How many of us came into hard techno from being metalheads?
http://www.kksmusic.com/images/newspage3.jpg

drift9
19-01-2004, 07:11 AM
hahahaha!!!! yeah! i used to be a complete metal dirtbag!

i was all about iron maiden, metallica, megadeth and even the death metal. a lot of my friends into techno also used to be metal heads.

guess we'll always just be powerslaves...

dirty_bass
19-01-2004, 07:32 AM
Well, we`ve had this discussion already, and now you got me back into metal again, you barsteward!!!!

dan the acid man
19-01-2004, 08:42 AM
yes, i was into hard rock and metal, i saw metallica live a few times, that was an experience, standing at the front feeling my eyebrows getting singed from the pyrotechnics :lol:

Esox Lucius
19-01-2004, 08:46 AM
can't stand any of it.

teknorich
19-01-2004, 08:55 AM
Sorry, but have to agree. Never liked any metal. Ever. I need the kickdrum!!!

Numeric
19-01-2004, 09:01 AM
Not into metal...

:neutral:

teknorich
19-01-2004, 09:07 AM
My route to techno was a bit different. I was always a speedfreak as a kid so I went through happy hardcore, through gabber, into hard techno (Scorpio, Producer etc) and then into Speedcore (Loftgroover, HMS, Bezerker etc) Then it struck me that techno records at 250 -300BPM don't actually make much sense, and after a while it all just sounds like...noise?!

I chilled out a bit, slowed down a bit, and looked for production quality and atmosphere instead of just speed. Got into people like Mills, Clarke etc, and then my fate was sealed!

Numeric
19-01-2004, 09:12 AM
I got into hardcore techno first also, and still enjoy it...

There are some really well produced hardcore records out there...

Esox Lucius
19-01-2004, 09:14 AM
i came from hardcore too, which I still have a passion for (not the happy shite though) speedcore, dark industrial hardcore & broken/idm.

icb
19-01-2004, 09:55 AM
I`m definately still into metal, hard core too, mostly any underground and hard sound...

Numeric
19-01-2004, 09:58 AM
I don't mind some metal/rock actualy...

But my heart is with techno and hardcore...

marcopilf
19-01-2004, 12:23 PM
yeah i'm gulity! although i went a bit wonky on the way. back at school i was into ion maiden, MSG, scorpions etc.. then got into electro. after that i wasn't into much of anything. in 1992 RAVE, then came the commercial clubs and as many slappers as you could pick up in 1 night.

then got into trance followed shorthly by tech trance, then onto NRG, HH AND TECHNO. I like most types of music and tend to end up at a HH event but my heart lies into techno!

Stuart
19-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Psycho Billy, Punk and hard rock.

AUYA
19-01-2004, 12:43 PM
i still love some metal bands...

observer
19-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Metal´s like techno. Most of it´s crap but when it´s good it can be amazing.

Francisco Scaramanga
19-01-2004, 01:50 PM
I was never a massive fan of really hard death metal styles, but hard rock led me to more industrial sort of stuff (NIN, White Zombie, Ministry) and then when I heard techno, I knew that it was for me. White Zombie remains as one of the best gigs I have ever been to, of any musical style, and Ministry are quite high as well. I went to the Ministry gig in Tie Dye, and got interviewed by this reporter guy who was following them around the country, I was the first person he had seen in like 10 gigs or something like that, who wasn't wearing nothing but black!

Tony
19-01-2004, 01:52 PM
only really liked the sickest shit i could find. 14 years old and seeing extreme noise terror does something to you. after that i was trying to write metal on sequencers. i thought techno was gay hippy shit as thats all i'd ever heard from it. so moved into industrial as that was also sequenced and thought that was still a bit weak. for several years people kept on saying ooh you'll like this, and playing me goa trance!!! it was only until a while after that that i had mellowed down and found PROPER techno!!

jonnyspeed
19-01-2004, 02:03 PM
heavy metal just missed the boat when it came to style and apart from the Napalm end of the scale, was just high pitched girlie singing over soft-ass cords - nowt heavy about Iron Maiden, Ozzy or Helloween or any of the stuff I heard for that matter. I really don't like the word shite, so I won't.

spiralx
19-01-2004, 02:41 PM
I was well into my death and black metal before getting into dance music; stuff like Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Carcass, At The Gates, Emporer, Satyricon and so on. Still listen to it a lot, especially at work... got about 16 CDs of it next to me along with some old hardcore and speedcore stuff - Producer and Loftgroover :)

I like hard music :clap: :twisted:

jonnyspeed
19-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Loftgroover is ****in' killer! Used to listen to him and Cally on 87.9FM back in 96/7 - blinding gabba and hard acid.

TripleX
19-01-2004, 04:44 PM
anybody into rage against the machine :?:
i :love: them

anx
19-01-2004, 04:47 PM
i've always loved shit like rage, system of a down, soulfly, korn, (limp bizkits 3 dollar bill album was ace, everything else is crap), fear factory, etc etc

ampassasinbirmingham
19-01-2004, 05:21 PM
I LOVE METAL

http://shop.adultshop.de.speedera.net/shop.adultshop.de/images/l4images/526053.jpg

Heavy Metal-Dildo

http://www.realrockbabes.com/jaymie01.jpg

The Overfiend
19-01-2004, 05:55 PM
It was all about Metallica (pre suck era)
Megadeth
Anthrax and the gods called Slayer.

anx
19-01-2004, 06:46 PM
lol

pre suck era

spiralx
19-01-2004, 07:51 PM
lol

pre suck era
Yeah, there was a pre-suck era? News to me!

observer
19-01-2004, 09:35 PM
And right, who the hell says "heavy metal"? Maybe if you´re into Accept or Helloween.

jonnyspeed
19-01-2004, 09:41 PM
lol

pre suck era
Yeah, there was a pre-suck era? News to me!

:lol: init

dan the acid man
19-01-2004, 10:34 PM
i have to say i went from hard rock to bands like the verve and spiritualized before getting into techno, i still love those bands music to this day

The Overfiend
19-01-2004, 10:46 PM
Any Metallica including and before And Justice for all is choice.
And by saying heavy metal I'm not implying hair metal either so no balls to the wall over here. I do know the difference.

dan the acid man
19-01-2004, 10:52 PM
so its only me who liked poison :oops: :oops:
only for a brief period though, we all make mistakes :oops:

observer
19-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Well now I´m remembering and I´m kind of feeling Son of a bitch again

observer
19-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Wait I take that back

Tony
20-01-2004, 12:26 AM
its good everyone has so many routes into it. so many avenues that lead us here, where we can all disagree about things TOGETHER!!! ha haa!!

jonnyspeed
20-01-2004, 08:52 AM
i have to say i went from hard rock to bands like the verve and spiritualized before getting into techno, i still love those bands music to this day

I was a big fan of Loop rather that Spiritualized. And Loop were most definately indie trance and the Can/Stockhausen influence was unmistakable. Genius!

massplanck
20-01-2004, 12:14 PM
Metallica (pre AJFA), Slayer, Carcass....

Some bitch recently threatened to 'rip my head off' for playing Mettalicas 'Battery' in the middle of a techno set.

Exactly the response I was hoping for :)

Bughead
20-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Yeah it was Slayer and such like, then ENT, Naplamdeath and Sorethroat ( if anyone remembers them) with all the stuff on Earache ( Doom, electro hippies etc etc ) then it was just a hop, skip and a jump to hardcore ( techno that is.) Still listen to a lot of "metal" based music but for the energy such as headbutt, godflesh, ministry, NIN.

Yeah Extreme Noise Terror and Napalmdeath doing a live show once in Reading and f*ckin hell, from that day on it was all down hill rapidly. ( or up hill)

Whatever happened to PWEI?

Angrymann
20-01-2004, 01:30 PM
Dan the acid man , I feel your pain mate. I was into Poison , a strange American band called "Sleaze Beez" and Kiss.

Then I got into Metalica ( early stuff) , Faith No more and then Pearl Jam.

Tony
20-01-2004, 03:55 PM
really this suggestion should go into the dark/industrial section, but everybody NEEDS to hear this.

its a project by the old faith no more lead singer, mike patton (who i consider to be a musical genius, i swear you would not beleive some of the crazy shit he does) and the dave lombardo from slayer, and the guys from mr bungle (another patton classic band) and the melvins. its called fantomas, and while the second album is stunning in the form of metal songs, the first album is like the darkest most punky metal soundscape set to follow the frames from a 1930s comic. its IMMENSE and i saw them do it live!! its so abstract i thought it was all sampled and sequenced, but no, they do it properly live and go from the best 4bars of punk riff to haunting screams then silence, then patton doing crazy shit with his throat. there are no words at all, only noises from his mouth. i cant big this up enough, and i've lost my copy of the cd, shiiiiiiit!!

also, my vulgar, stereotypical heavy metal next door neighbour called around to complain that alls i play is noise (at sensible times at night unlike him) stood there in his metallica tshirt, i was 'hmmm, thats exactly what my mum said first time she heard metallica, can you see who you resemble in this situation', and shut the door on him. no more complaints.

death to plastic rebellion!!!!!

Agent Orange NYC
21-01-2004, 09:21 PM
:rambo:

Hellz ya! I was really into metal back in the day. Even early/ pre-metal. I think all the acid I used to do could explain that. Very big Hendrix and Led Zep fan, the Sabbath, Maiden, only old Metallica, Queensryche. I've got the baddest Picture disc collection of metal. - Then came the pills, house, then Ketamina and then techno stuck! - haha

Jimfish
21-01-2004, 09:58 PM
cant say ive evr been into metal - nor any guitar music, when i was a kid i used to get shit for liking dance music as i was the only one out here in the sticks :( i used to be a proper into jungle when i was a weenie :)

Dustin Zahn
21-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Nothing wrong with a few bands by the names of Iron Maiden, Slayer (South of Heaven, baby), Cannibal Corpse, Fantomas (Tony, I'm a Patton fan!), some other Patton projects. Fans of guitar rock ala Iron Maiden should really check out the first album by the band called...believe it or not..."The ****ing Champs"

More industrial type bands for me would include NIN (a big influence), some skinny puppy (but not all), and Front Line Assembly.

Of course there are many more bands in these genres I like its not nessecary to list them all.

To be quite honest I grew up around the skater crowd, not the rave crowd so I've been subjected to tons of hard rock and old school hip (which I love). On top of that I'm also from Wisconsin, USA and my dad owned a bar...so naturally I like cock rock such as Journey, Styx, Scorpions, a little Speedwagon, and Foreigner! :shock: holy ****.

The Overfiend
21-01-2004, 11:35 PM
Lmao Cock Rock.
I used to like the rock song from the Transformers movie. The Touch.
And The F*cking Champs Rox.

slimboy
22-01-2004, 05:20 PM
really this suggestion should go into the dark/industrial section, but everybody NEEDS to hear this.

its a project by the old faith no more lead singer, mike patton (who i consider to be a musical genius, i swear you would not beleive some of the crazy shit he does) and the dave lombardo from slayer, and the guys from mr bungle (another patton classic band) and the melvins. its called fantomas, and while the second album is stunning in the form of metal songs, the first album is like the darkest most punky metal soundscape set to follow the frames from a 1930s comic. its IMMENSE and i saw them do it live!! its so abstract i thought it was all sampled and sequenced, but no, they do it properly live and go from the best 4bars of punk riff to haunting screams then silence, then patton doing crazy shit with his throat. there are no words at all, only noises from his mouth. i cant big this up enough, and i've lost my copy of the cd, shiiiiiiit

Has anyone ever heard 'Adult Themes for Voice' by Mike Patton?

It's a seriousley ****ed up album. The whole thing was recorded in hotel rooms around the world using a mic, a 4 track & a few weird effects. It's one of the sickest albums I've ever heard!! :twisted:

Tony
23-01-2004, 12:50 AM
yeah, i have that and its sooooooo sick. just patton and a four track and some effects in hotel rooms. screaming and shouting and making unbeleivalble noises with his throat. there is also pranzo oltransito on the same label. more surreality, absolutley bonkers!!
genius!!

slimboy
23-01-2004, 11:17 AM
My favourite track's the one that's made entirely from him screaming f**k in as many bizarre ways as possible.

Might try dropping that one in the middle of a techno set!

Dustin Zahn
23-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Patton's a vocal god.

As for SoS's infatuation with "The Touch"

You've got the touch...
You've got the pooow-er!

er...something. Yeah I got the transformers DVD around here somewhere.

icb
23-01-2004, 09:07 PM
Slayer are the gods. Period. Ministry eat little children.These are some great bands, and everybody must respect them. White Zombie is ****ing great. Does anyone here likes some gothic metal like Tristania or Sins Of Thy Beloved? Lately I`m really into it...

icb
23-01-2004, 09:08 PM
BTW, nobody mentioned Pantera, one of my all time favorites...

The Overfiend
23-01-2004, 10:39 PM
Cowboys From Hell
Slayer are gods but goth rock umm is like i dont know :shock:

Inquisitor
23-01-2004, 10:55 PM
Goth rock or metal is utter shit in my opinion,i dont mind a few quality tunes by metallica or sepultura tho.

Dustin Zahn
23-01-2004, 11:05 PM

they're racist bastards...that's why. :)

The Overfiend
24-01-2004, 02:41 AM

they're racist bastards...that's why. :)

Really?

Dustin Zahn
24-01-2004, 04:10 AM
hella racist.

The Overfiend
24-01-2004, 01:49 PM
i never knew that and to be honest I am very disappointed.

miasma man
24-01-2004, 02:12 PM
I kinda got into rock sort of stuff (not so much Metal) from listening to Techno, in reverse I suppose. More of the older 70's stuff-some wicked mental sounds

Sam_Horam
24-01-2004, 07:24 PM

its a project by the old faith no more lead singer, mike patton (who i consider to be a musical genius, i swear you would not beleive some of the crazy shit he does) and the dave lombardo from slayer, and the guys from mr bungle (another patton classic band) and the melvins. its called fantomas, and while the second album is stunning in the form of metal songs, the first album is like the darkest most punky metal soundscape set to follow the frames from a 1930s comic. its IMMENSE and i saw them do it live!! its so abstract i thought it was all sampled and sequenced, but no, they do it properly live and go from the best 4bars of punk riff to haunting screams then silence, then patton doing crazy shit with his throat. there are no words at all, only noises from his mouth. i cant big this up enough, and i've lost my copy of the cd, shiiiiiiit

Has anyone ever heard 'Adult Themes for Voice' by Mike Patton?

It's a seriousley **** up album. The whole thing was recorded in hotel rooms around the world using a mic, a 4 track & a few weird effects. It's one of the sickest albums I've ever heard!! :twisted:

Yeah, I like Fantomas. "Adult Themes..." is absolutely mad. I seem to remember my favourite being a track where he sounded like a hamster...!

Saw Mr Bungle live that was a very odd show. Patton is indeed a complete legend.

Dustin Zahn
24-01-2004, 08:18 PM
Word 'em up. I heard Patton has a couple of movies coming out actually. Ian Lehman seems to be some sort of Mike Patton historian, so I'll see what the deal is with that. Did you hear the Peeping Tom stuff with Dan the Automator? A bit of a let down personally...

el_satan666
24-01-2004, 10:28 PM
just throwin' my name in the pot for this metal thing! (Metal -> Gabba -> -> Hardcore -> Techno.) Very odd most of us went the same way. At least we'll have something to talk 'bout in the nursing home!

DJTrubass
24-01-2004, 10:46 PM
Mever been into it and it didnt get me into nething

Got into hard techno after moving on from happy hardcore to hard trance - freeform, hard style and hard techno

jonnyspeed
24-01-2004, 11:53 PM
Smurfs -> Abba -> B52s -> Dead Kennedies -> Can -> Loop -> Sub Pop -> Acid House -> Hard Acid -> Acid Trance -> Acid Techo -> Big Booty Squaty Sound System

My brother like Marillian and that, does that count?

acid-project
28-01-2004, 03:21 PM
oh yeah !

DEF LEPARD
IRON MAIDEN
GUNS N ROSES
PINKFLOYD
PUBLIC ENEMY
HARDCORE(GROOVERIDER)
INDI(JESUS JONES)
TECHNO(BELGIAN)
HARDCORE(STU ALLEN-SEDUCTION)
HARD TECHNO(COLIN FAVOR)
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
THE OFFSPRING
GREENDAY
MACHINE HEAD
HARD TECHNO(CLARKEE-PRODUCER)
D-N-B(HYPE-LTJ BUKEM)
SPEEDCORE(HMS-LOFT GROOVER)
TRANCE(FERGUS-MZONE)
ACID TRANCE
PSY TRANCE
HARD NRG
TECHNO(ALL-SORTS !)

how much of what you listen to at any time is influenced by your chosen intoxicant ?

278d7e64a374de26f==