PDA

View Full Version : Rookie here

drift9
19-01-2004, 07:08 AM
New here to this board and figured that i'd introduce myself and kick it off with a question:

living here in ny and attending techno events there's something that i can't help but notice, a serious lack of new blood. ie i really don't notice anyone at techno events younger than 20 or so (with the average age being about 25, give or take). not too sure how it is overseas and in europe etc. but it's kind of gotten me a bit concerned--is techno no longer attracting the younger crowd?

i'm begging you guys overseas--please tell me that across the atlantic it's different, that we're still attracting the young folk. i just picture us all on the floor in the future with one hand on our walkers and the other wrinkled one pumping the air with no fresh faces around and i shudder...

MARKEG
19-01-2004, 07:15 AM
hmmm. very very interesting observation. i suppose it's always been like this in the uk. techno attracts an older crowd. andwe dont have huge techno raves, it's more of a club thing.

but in the us techno has very much been a rave thing and with all the hassle that raves have been getting over there, it has rubbed off on the rave scene. so less and less young people want to go to raves i suppose.

perhaps the techno scene will change in the us over the next few years, if it hasnt been already.

professor
19-01-2004, 01:56 PM
I've prefer events that cater to a little bit of an older crowd, i.e. over 18. Seems lots of parties, at least in my area, draw a lot of young'ns. Problem is that it seems to always be the young who are o.d.ing or spazen-out and drawing that negative attention from the cops/media. This contributes to "rave" laws, and the death/or major hinderence of the scene.

Of course this isn't always the case, but it has been a problem around midwest USA

jonnyspeed
19-01-2004, 03:22 PM
love to saty there's lots of youngsters out in London, but not from what I've seen. There are some - probably more at the hippy end of the parties. It might be that the scene seems to be getting older because people aren't rolling over and turning into sad twats that like lounge parties as soon as they hit 30.

I'm 32 and still one of the babies in my friends - yes children get in the way but atleast my friends don't both sit in with child as you only need 1 of you to baby sit and making your partner stay in because you are in just selfish :) kind got off track but all in all I think its a good thing not be be serounded by 15yos in white gloves etc...

spiralx
19-01-2004, 05:51 PM
Plenty of teenagers at squat parties in London... hell I started going out to dirty techno parties with some of my mates when they were 16 :)

jonnyspeed
19-01-2004, 06:36 PM
I think what has happened is that it used to be all teenagers and early 20s with a few older people out. Now these people are 10 years older the crowd is just more balanced.

spiralx
19-01-2004, 07:52 PM
Still plenty of new blood there, I still know people who are 15/16 and go to squat parties. And there are also plenty of local teenage chavs there trying to jack people :evil:

VOMATRON
19-01-2004, 08:06 PM
here in denmark, youll find a lot of young people saying they like techno...but then after a while your assumption comes true, and you find out that what they categorize as techno, is actually trance...psytrance
not that theres anything wrong with it, in smaller doses, but thats actually whats biggest...or at least have been since the late 90's and up til about a year ago...its wearing a bit off now, people being more into boring rockbands & stuff, and house becoming more and more dominant on the clubscene
but its really like this:
there are the ex-techno people, who now mostly play house, if not because they become soft, then because it attracts more ladies...and then you have the trance people, some very dedicated, but most just in it because of partys and drugs...and not many young people i meet like techno-techno(when you give them examples of what is really techno)
its strange how it is here...not like in any other country i really been in...and even though big names like jeff mills, dave clarke etc. can draw a lot of old technoheads, there really isnt much people at the few private techno parties that are thrown,and mostly are older people...and i got no idea why...is a small cuntry, but there is the internet for checking these things out at least...guess people just are satisfied with whats easily accessible...

anx
19-01-2004, 08:29 PM
i find that most of the people that are into techno are mostly deep into the scene and have been partying a while. almost says that techno is something that is to be aquired after a while of listening to other types of music.

although, whenever i play my techno its the minors who are freaking out the hardest....

SlavikSvensk
23-01-2004, 01:50 AM
drift9 and i were spoiled learning to love techno in detroit, where 10 years ago it was still alive and well, and attracting a lot of younger listeners. hell, a typical night was all techno and maybe one dj from chicago spinning quality house. from what i hear, there is little else than trance and "funky" breaks there now, which seems to reflect a certain fact:

younger people usually gravitate towards simpler, less challenging music.

as long as techno keeps getting enough of these kids when they mature and branch out into deeper music, then everything is okay.

what bothers me is that a lot of people seem to have no idea that there were great records coming out before 1996, or even if they know this in the abstract, they have no appreciation for the old school stuff.

BloodStar
23-01-2004, 07:58 AM
The techno scene down here is almost good. Even you can find 15 or 16 years old kids with full nose and giant eyes,raving on the Orion Hall, together with other 6000 crowds, but there is lot of people who is into techno for longer time and ain't so crazy like a young blood.
Lot of great techno parties is here every month. Also the new clubs have brought something new to our scene as we knew it for last few years. Brno is a heart of technoscene in my country. Somebody maybe heard about it,. If not, no matter. Because I mean, you will ever hear about us..... :!:

278d7e64a374de26f==