PDA

View Full Version : Music Losing It's Meaning

DJPAUZE
11-03-2009, 04:42 PM
So just got off the tube with someone who is a pretty big artist (techno/trance) worldwide, won't mention any names. He brought up and interesting point about music these days and why he was quitting the business. He said with technology it's given the ability to so many artists to create music so easily. Music has no meaning anymore. He said "Back in the Day I would write a track, it would be huge. People would remember, play it for months. Now you write one and 2 weeks later it's forgotten".

Mind you this is only one aspect of why he's quitting but I couldnt help but feel the same way... Does that mean that artists arent spending enough time writting memorable tracks or is the market just to saturated with loads of music.....

Hope that came out right...

Discuss.

Siege
11-03-2009, 06:16 PM
id say a bit of both..........tracks being thrown together in no time, adding to the heap of shite out there.

thats the problem with a lot of digital labels imo, no quality control........at least with vinyl, if its not good enough it aint being released, even though there is still some shit that gets pressed.

now anybody can throw something together and put it out there

tocsin
11-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Never have bought this line of reasoning. Never will.

ORIS
11-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Never have bought this line of reasoning. Never will.

+1

SlavikSvensk
11-03-2009, 08:20 PM
it's all about perspective. most people think whatever's going on at the moment is sh*t compared to what they had when younger.

that said, music today is really sh*t :lol:

ORIS
11-03-2009, 08:21 PM
It's always the bigger names that get shitty about the influx of new artists on the scene, more people producing music in my eyes can only be a good thing.

Technologic
11-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Oh dear, someone's lost their mojo.

Technologic
11-03-2009, 08:42 PM
I think music lost its money.

clubsynthetic
11-03-2009, 10:00 PM
aye it sounds like he's not feeling the £. That, ultimately, is a stupid reason to stop making music

tonyc2002
11-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Things are shifting and the price, sophistication, and availability of music software/hardware combined with the Internet is certainly a huge factor. This democratisation (in my opinion) is a good thing though. Music, like any art, should be free from elitism and open to all who wish to explore it and modern technology has allowed this.

Jay Pace
11-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Music hasn't lost its meaning.

A few people have just been knocked off their pedestals.

Boo hoo for them.

wrong
11-03-2009, 10:25 PM
"Back in the Day I would write a track, it would be huge. People would remember, play it for months. Now you write one and 2 weeks later it's forgotten"..

imo.. He answered his own question there.. just got the reasoning wrong... who was it? then we can judge whether his tunes are still 'biiig tuuunes' or if they've diluted into fodder whilst falling from the top of their game to trying to stay in the game ... or if indeed they ever were big tunes...
Everyone peaks... look at jimi hendrix john lennon and jim morrisson.... 100% if they were still alive they'd be peddling substandard diluted wishywashy pop droolings and not the balls out raw genius that they're known for, cos their lives were tragically cut short before they slipped unknowingly into mediocredom.

Also i feel, to be fair to the mystery quitter, that 'back then' there was more of a vibe.. COS IT WAS ALL FOR THE FIRST TIME ROUND.. whereas now, things (techno music genres/ new techno ideas) have pretty much run their course and the best that can be done with it is reverting, combining, splitting, creating hybrids, going back, being retro, rebranding, mutating, distorting, undistorting.. whereas back then there were genuine ideas that were being done for the first time so it was more exciting... but for the people who weren't there for the first time, i guess this is the first time.. so basically, what i'm trying to say is... erm.. not sure really
Who was it? ;)

Darkmode
11-03-2009, 11:37 PM
id say a bit of both..........tracks being thrown together in no time, adding to the heap of shite out there.

thats the problem with a lot of digital labels imo, no quality control........at least with vinyl, if its not good enough it aint being released, even though there is still some shit that gets pressed.

now anybody can throw something together and put it out there

I agree I said the same thing about being more quality control on digital labels in my interview on beatportal last month

another thing I have noticed it's not about the music anymore it's about the money which is also why there is a lot of crap music that is getting released that all sounds the same basicly people making music for the sake of making it because of what is fashionable at the moment which makes me think are they into the music for the wrong reasons

Siege
11-03-2009, 11:57 PM
another thing I have noticed it's not about the music anymore it's about the money which is also why there is a lot of crap music that is getting released that all sounds the same basicly people making music for the sake of making it because of what is fashionable at the moment which makes me think are they into the music for the wrong reasons

true

TechMouse
12-03-2009, 12:00 AM
imo.. He answered his own question there.. just got the reasoning wrong... who was it? then we can judge whether his tunes are still 'biiig tuuunes' or if they've diluted into fodder whilst falling from the top of their game to trying to stay in the game ... or if indeed they ever were big tunes...
Everyone peaks... look at jimi hendrix john lennon and jim morrisson.... 100% if they were still alive they'd be peddling substandard diluted wishywashy pop droolings and not the balls out raw genius that they're known for, cos their lives were tragically cut short before they slipped unknowingly into mediocredom.

Also i feel, to be fair to the mystery quitter, that 'back then' there was more of a vibe.. COS IT WAS ALL FOR THE FIRST TIME ROUND.. whereas now, things (techno music genres/ new techno ideas) have pretty much run their course and the best that can be done with it is reverting, combining, splitting, creating hybrids, going back, being retro, rebranding, mutating, distorting, undistorting.. whereas back then there were genuine ideas that were being done for the first time so it was more exciting... but for the people who weren't there for the first time, i guess this is the first time.. so basically, what i'm trying to say is... erm.. not sure really
Who was it? ;)
Well said that man.

We need to meet up for a beer J. I lost your number in a phone crapness incident. Drop me a text or something.

The_Laughing_Man
12-03-2009, 12:21 AM
There will always has been and always will be shitty music, and over commercial copycat shite, and good shite, and really out there shite, regardless of the accessability or not.
Wether it`s bands playing punk on cheap junk shop instruments or kids using software, music is no more accessable, it is just presentable in different forms.

Sounds like the moaning gimboid is just pining for more money.
Well you should have told him to try harder and make better music, rather than looking for excuses.

DJPAUZE
12-03-2009, 01:38 AM
it's all about perspective. most people think whatever's going on at the moment is sh*t compared to what they had when younger.

that said, music today is really sh*t :lol:

Agreed.

And guys I would love to name drop, but I don't think he would appreciate it that much. He's a good guy and don't want to start any rumours about what his choices are.

And in fairness to the producer, that's not the only reason for this. He's done well financially, probably better than most. He's just gotten married and has a newborn so he wants to spend time with them atm.

Maybe its just a break, but we didnt get into that much detail.

Just thought this topic would provoke some discussion about the state of music.

Technologic
12-03-2009, 02:28 AM
Things are shifting and the price, sophistication, and availability of music software/hardware combined with the Internet is certainly a huge factor. This democratisation (in my opinion) is a good thing though. Music, like any art, should be free from elitism and open to all who wish to explore it and modern technology has allowed this.

Indeed.

Still, modern technology has put a lot of people out of business, that can only be a bad thing really.

aNaLpLeAsEr
12-03-2009, 02:40 AM
So just got off the tube with someone who is a pretty big artist (techno/trance) worldwide, won't mention any names. He brought up and interesting point about music these days and why he was quitting the business. He said with technology it's given the ability to so many artists to create music so easily. Music has no meaning anymore. He said "Back in the Day I would write a track, it would be huge. People would remember, play it for months. Now you write one and 2 weeks later it's forgotten".

Mind you this is only one aspect of why he's quitting but I couldnt help but feel the same way... Does that mean that artists arent spending enough time writting memorable tracks or is the market just to saturated with loads of music.....

Discuss.

So basically this person has a gripe cos they don't get to hog the lime light as much anymore.

BRADLEE
12-03-2009, 03:43 AM
poor guy needs a carne asada burrito and tequilla, he'll feel better and have some new inspiration then.

Patrick DSP
12-03-2009, 03:54 AM
I don't mean to preach but whom ever is complaining about this should really read this book...
http://www.whomovedmycheese.com

http://www.whomovedmycheese.com/media/WMMC-Preview.mov

I had to read it years ago. it was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. Instead of complaining about how things have changed for the worse, it'll help you realize that change is inevitable. and those that don't keep re-evolving and striving for new ways/sounds will end up being yesterday's news. how you interpret that "change" or moving of the "cheese" is up to the reader though.

DJPAUZE
12-03-2009, 05:33 AM
I don't mean to preach but whom ever is complaining about this should really read this book...

I had to read it years ago. it was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. Instead of complaining about how things have changed for the worse, it'll help you realize that change is inevitable. and those that don't keep re-evolving and striving for new ways/sounds will end up being yesterday's news. how you interpret that "change" or moving of the "cheese" is up to the reader though.

You have him on your msn, I'll let him know about this. Thanks Pat! LOL, complaining, the guy isn't complaining, he was telling about his life situation and how he has decided to change it.

Thanks for your insight though, I'm sure this big dj will benefit from it.

Patrick DSP
12-03-2009, 05:43 AM
Your original post sounded like he was complaining. I guess a few of us miss read it.

cheers,
-p.

DJPAUZE
12-03-2009, 05:47 AM
Your original post sounded like he was complaining. I guess a few of us miss read it.

cheers,
-p.

Right. Well hopefully your articles will help this guy out eh?

Patrick DSP
12-03-2009, 05:55 AM
Right. Well hopefully your articles will help this guy out eh?

Read the book. it's really good. 24 million copies sold. it's mostly written on a business standpoint, and how the business world is constantly shifting and changing. which is especially important nowadays with shifting markets and collapsing economies but it's main message can be applied to anything in life really, because life is always changing. it's written in very basic general terms so it can apply to us all from company executives to even homeless people. I think i still have my copy somewhere here.

Who Moved My Cheese? is the story of four characters living in a "Maze" who face unexpected change when they discover their "Cheese" has disappeared. Sniff and Scurry, who are mice, and Hem and Haw, little people the size of mice, each adapt to change in their "Maze" differently. In fact, one doesn't adapt at all...

This timeless allegory reveals profound truths to individuals and organizations dealing with change. We each live in a "Maze", a metaphor for the companies or organizations we work with, the communities we live in, the families we love places where we look for the things we want in life, "Cheese". It may be an enjoyable career, loving relationships, wealth, or spiritual peace of mind. With time and experience, one character eventually succeeds and even prospers from the change in his "Maze".In an effort to share what he has learned along the way, he records his personal discoveries on the maze walls, the "Handwriting on the Wall". Likewise, when we begin to see the "writing on the wall", we discover the simplicity and necessity of adapting to change.

Full of modern day insight, the story of Who Moved My Cheese? invites individuals and organizations to enjoy less stress and more success by learning to deal with the inevitable change.

RDR
12-03-2009, 08:12 AM
There will always has been and always will be shitty music, and over commercial copycat shite, and good shite, and really out there shite, regardless of the accessability or not.
Wether it`s bands playing punk on cheap junk shop instruments or kids using software, music is no more accessable, it is just presentable in different forms.

Sounds like the moaning gimboid is just pining for more money.
Well you should have told him to try harder and make better music, rather than looking for excuses.

+1

It amazes me that anyone feels it necessary to access and equine with a step ladder over music. It is what it is FFS people.

as for beatport and 'quality' they've been JUST as guilty of it as anyone else. (insert personal gripe here)

What a to-do!

MARK ANXIOUS
12-03-2009, 09:00 AM

adapt and change, i've always said that. and i'll probably put that as the number one reason how i've managed to keep doing music for so many years. people around you complain, they can't understand why you don't stick with a sound or a style, or ahem musical format. they moan. they wonder how you can possibly be 'into' music if you're always moving on, looking for something else. the shit, the sneers, jeers and abuse i got when i started playing cd's now i look back. omg.

but that my friends, is what keeps you in the game. music is all about moving on, adapting, changing. i do suspect, the same as wrong, that this guy is sat there moaning, making the same stuff and creating this downward spiral for himself.

there is money to be made from music that can keep you with a pretty ok living, paying the bills etc, but unfortuntely 99% of you can't sit in the studio making dance music anymore and expect that. those who have seen this have moved on, changed and learnt ways to keep themselves in music as a main job.

has music lost it's feeling? of course it hasnt. how ridiculous. there was always heaps and heaps of 2 minute throwaway tracks out there. there's just a damn sight more due to the fact any old kid can have a music making machine and churn out arse. and i'm afriad, this top producer of yours seems like one of those.

if you're at the head of your game, spending hours tweaking intricate compression settings, producing tracks that get cained at the clubs throughout the world with thousands of people going nuts over what you do ,writing to you on myspace/facebook totally passionate about your sound, there is NO WAY ON THIS PLANET you would say that. and if you did, perhaps you should get out right now ;)

MARK ANXIOUS
12-03-2009, 09:22 AM
You have him on your msn, I'll let him know about this. Thanks Pat! LOL, complaining, the guy isn't complaining, he was telling about his life situation and how he has decided to change it.

Thanks for your insight though, I'm sure this big dj will benefit from it.

ps hey i'm not having a go, i just saying. after all the recent sh** between you an pat, this could be seen as you having a sly little dig to stir up trouble again, when i asked you not to. so let's stick to the topics eh and keep all this personal shit off the board ;)

DJPAUZE
12-03-2009, 11:34 AM
adapt and change, i've always said that. and i'll probably put that as the number one reason how i've managed to keep doing music for so many years. people around you complain, they can't understand why you don't stick with a sound or a style, or ahem musical format. they moan. they wonder how you can possibly be 'into' music if you're always moving on, looking for something else. the shit, the sneers, jeers and abuse i got when i started playing cd's now i look back. omg.

but that my friends, is what keeps you in the game. music is all about moving on, adapting, changing. i do suspect, the same as wrong, that this guy is sat there moaning, making the same stuff and creating this downward spiral for himself.

there is money to be made from music that can keep you with a pretty ok living, paying the bills etc, but unfortuntely 99% of you can't sit in the studio making dance music anymore and expect that. those who have seen this have moved on, changed and learnt ways to keep themselves in music as a main job.

has music lost it's feeling? of course it hasnt. how ridiculous. there was always heaps and heaps of 2 minute throwaway tracks out there. there's just a damn sight more due to the fact any old kid can have a music making machine and churn out arse. and i'm afriad, this top producer of yours seems like one of those.

if you're at the head of your game, spending hours tweaking intricate compression settings, producing tracks that get cained at the clubs throughout the world with thousands of people going nuts over what you do ,writing to you on myspace/facebook totally passionate about your sound, there is NO WAY ON THIS PLANET you would say that. and if you did, perhaps you should get out right now ;)

I'd have to say that you probably have written about him in one of your monthly track reviews, I'll take a look and let you know. I really am not sure what drove him to this, his tracks are played worldwide by top artists, he plays all the big festivals as well. So again, I am not sure what the total reason for it. Hopefully I will see him online and get some more infos.

tocsin
12-03-2009, 02:02 PM
And in fairness to the producer, that's not the only reason for this. He's done well financially, probably better than most. He's just gotten married and has a newborn so he wants to spend time with them atm.

Maybe its just a break, but we didnt get into that much detail.

Did you ask him if maybe the problem is that he's always been mediocre himself? I mean that quite seriously. The comment about how he'd write "big" tracks that would get "played for months" is kind of what hinted to that for me. The tracks that I, and others, considered huge from the days of past are still ones that manage to make it into my DJ sets when I do it, and are regular plays in my car or home, now well after a decade from being released.

DJPAUZE
12-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Did you ask him if maybe the problem is that he's always been mediocre himself? I mean that quite seriously. The comment about how he'd write "big" tracks that would get "played for months" is kind of what hinted to that for me. The tracks that I, and others, considered huge from the days of past are still ones that manage to make it into my DJ sets when I do it, and are regular plays in my car or home, now well after a decade from being released.

The guy is far from mediocre IMO. I don't follow any of his tech-trance releases but I think it's pretty safe to say that his tracks are played in frequently all over the globe. If it's really eating you up inside pm me and I'll let you know who it is and you can decide.
I just don't want to throw it out there as a big rumour because he wants to keep it hush hush. Maybe a few gigs here and there where he is going to be living but that's it.

tocsin
12-03-2009, 03:10 PM
The guy is far from mediocre IMO. I don't follow any of his tech-trance releases but I think it's pretty safe to say that his tracks are played in frequently all over the globe. If it's really eating you up inside pm me and I'll let you know who it is and you can decide.
I just don't want to throw it out there as a big rumour because he wants to keep it hush hush. Maybe a few gigs here and there where he is going to be living but that's it.

I think you're missing my point. I honestly don't care who the guy is. Problem is, particularly in the 90s, there wasn't exactly a shortage of artists who got fairly big egos by writing and selling rather predictable and catchy music that people might play out for a couple months. But, yeah, after that, like every other form of pop music, it went to the dust bin. Thus, if his test of "big" is "months," I think his issue has nothing to do with music losing its meaning, and more to do with the fact that there are no longer the same economic barriers to keep others from doing music just as well as he did. As I said, the good tracks that I enjoyed from years ago still get play from me. So, maybe his problem isn't all the other people coming in and doing shitty music. Rather, it was an unnecesary price barrier that merely prevented a lot of people from coming into it at the same time he did who had the same ammount of skill.

Personally, I'm glad that people with this attitude are jumping ship. I've always loathed that attitude. It makes no sense in "techno." The easier it is for people to use tools to express themselves, the better.

SlavikSvensk
12-03-2009, 03:15 PM
i bet i know what the guys is quitting...he's lost his passion for music. it happens to most people at some point...and then you can either quit or keep going without really caring that much. quitting is not necessarily the worst of those options either. if you're not that into it anymore, let others who are take the reins and go find something else you can be more passionate about.

the "music doesn't mean as much as it once did" bit is a most likely a rationalization.

The_Laughing_Man
12-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Exactly.
If THE music doesn`t mean so much to you, then go and make something else.
All that should matter is what it means to yourself, and if it means nothing, then you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

tocsin
12-03-2009, 03:34 PM
i bet i know what the guys is quitting...he's lost his passion for music. it happens to most people at some point...and then you can either quit or keep going without really caring that much. quitting is not necessarily the worst of those options either.

Exactly why I started doing visuals/VJing as a regular main thing rather than a layer to live PAs. I got particularly burnt on hardcore music, and found myself to be in a rut with what I was writing. So, I took a break and focussed on something in greater detail that made it a new experience and, when I came back to playing with music again, that previous rut was over.

DJPAUZE
12-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Well, I hope "the mistery artist" takes a break and comes back. Maybe he just wants to take a breather out of the limelight, who knows. But he made some phenominal tracks and I really hope he can continue to do so, even if he's not gigging.

SlavikSvensk
12-03-2009, 03:42 PM
hard to agree or disagree without knowing who it is. but i'd say taking a break, or straight up finding something else to pour your energy into, is generally good advice for someone who's not feeling it anymore...

tocsin
12-03-2009, 04:30 PM
hard to agree or disagree without knowing who it is. but i'd say taking a break, or straight up finding something else to pour your energy into, is generally good advice for someone who's not feeling it anymore...

You don't need to know who it is to understand that blaming others for lack of interest in your own creative output is a cop out.

gunjack
12-03-2009, 08:52 PM
adapt instead of conforming. "agil" is the word of the day.....

DarkYoung
12-03-2009, 08:54 PM
adapt instead of conforming. "agil" is the word of the day.....

are you a gemini dude?

gunjack
12-03-2009, 08:57 PM
yessir.

SlavikSvensk
12-03-2009, 11:29 PM
You don't need to know who it is to understand that blaming others for lack of interest in your own creative output is a cop out.

was referring to whether or not this person's absence from techno is a net loss for my eardrums. can't say without knowing who it is, and whether i'd rate their recent output...

aNaLpLeAsEr
13-03-2009, 12:38 AM
You sure he is not a she?

Sounds like he/she should be called Bambi.

There, there Bambi. It's OK. I am sure you can find other ways to get some attention.

MARK ANXIOUS
13-03-2009, 01:00 AM
http://programm.kurier.at/cont/upload/KINO/32248bambi2_1.jpg

+

http://journalism.berkeley.edu/resources/tvstudio/studio1_large.jpg

=

http://crazycrashes.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/van_crash-1.jpg

ORIS
13-03-2009, 02:22 AM
ahahaa!!! :)

DJPAUZE
13-03-2009, 03:54 AM

Yea quite possibly his newborn and his wife. Who know's?

Maybe he's going to start throwing his own events? Didn't get that far in the convo.

DarkYoung
13-03-2009, 08:11 AM
yessir.

****ing knew it. what is it about geminis and air signs in general that give us the best techno artists and producers?
air = sound

dave the drummer - libra
dirty bass - aquarius
rowland the bastard - aquarius
geezer/ant/markeg/gunjack/AP - gemini

unbelievable.

Igneous
13-03-2009, 11:39 AM
If he's got a new misis & baby n he's not making money out of music then he might be better quiting. New responsiblities & all that.

...Dave...
13-03-2009, 12:26 PM
is it **** loosing its meaning:rolleyes:

its just were all old arses. i bet all the youngsters who are just getting into it think its the best thing since slice bread

although we all know it was better back in the day:wink:

DJPAUZE
13-03-2009, 12:29 PM
is it **** loosing its meaning:rolleyes:

its just were all old arses. i bet all the youngsters who are just getting into it think its the best thing since slice bread

although we all know it was better back in the day:wink:

Amen to that!

Technologic
13-03-2009, 02:42 PM
If he's got a new misis & baby n he's not making money out of music then he might be better quiting. New responsiblities & all that.

Bollocks to quiting.

My advice would be to go semi-pro. Then work in music just as hobby and to make a bit of pocket money.

A step backwards maybe, but a lot less risk and living up to responsibilities = win

It's just finding a job now though.

Igneous
13-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Bollocks to quiting.

My advice would be to go semi-pro. Then work in music just as hobby and to make a bit of pocket money.

A step backwards maybe, but a lot less risk and living up to responsibilities = win

Yeah, thats what i ment really. Just keep it as a hobby like.

The Overfiend
13-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Bollocks to quiting.

precisely

miss kosmix
17-04-2009, 01:55 AM
I recommend reading "Kill your friends" by John Niven

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/kill-your-friends-by-john-niven-780982.html

if you haven't already read it, do it now!

Steven Stelfox is a hero :) :)

hehe, enjoy guys, you will want to read this one again before you even get to the end,
and it also brings to light some of the more obscure bits of the music industry which are often overlooked/ignored,
because no we are not living in a fairytale world
;)

and for those of you who are on the 'it was better back in the day' vibe, doesn't actually mean that things were better back then it just means that as a human being you associate certain feelings/emotions with certain periods of your life, it's part of what's called being a human, has got nothing to do with the actual quality of the music

lastly, as regard the 'meaning' of music, i find this a rather ridiculous concept, i don't think producers compose tracks thinking 'yes, this one will mean this, etc' it's more about conveying an idea or an emotion and about sharing a certain feeling, but if you really want to go into discussing 'meaning' as a concept i suggest you read up on either Frege, Russell or Wittgenstein and i promise you they don't mention music hehe

judas_beast
21-04-2009, 01:43 AM

Discuss.

well, here comes some dichotomy!

yes, in a way (even in the short time I've been trying to make music its changed) the proliferation of easy access software, and to some extent the immediacy of myspace etc, has meant that every man, his dog, and any other pets he may have, are all knocking out music and a rate of knots and thinking it has some inherent value because their mates say it sounds ''phat''. but still, if something is made that really touches people then regardless of how its made will still touch people and get into the conciousness.

the flip side of this proliferation of easy access software etc etc is that more people have an opportunity to try it, to try their own thing, to experience music from the 'other side', and maybe, just maybe, this drives our type of music as a whole forwards?

interesting subject, but I'm too pissed to properly get into it.

holotropik
23-04-2009, 12:04 PM
WTF! music always has meaning....I don't get it??

After years of dabbling in writing tunes and playin Live I have finally got the bug to DJ...MAN!! there is soooo much music out there I love it! I can dig around and come up with stuff that nobody else I know has found...that is a great thing.

It means I don't have to play the same stuff as anyone else because there is not much to choose from. That is more true here in OZ where a lot of vinyl never made the distance and so selection was limited.

I agree with the 'it was better back in the day' phenomenon being more an issue here.

DannyBlack
23-04-2009, 12:11 PM
****ing knew it. what is it about geminis and air signs in general that give us the best techno artists and producers?
air = sound

dave the drummer - libra
dirty bass - aquarius
rowland the bastard - aquarius
geezer/ant/markeg/gunjack/AP - gemini

unbelievable.

Danny Black= Gemini/Cancer.

Music is dependent on the listeners perception. Music will only lose its meaning if the person listening perceives it so.

holotropik
23-04-2009, 12:22 PM
true.

DJPAUZE
23-04-2009, 04:42 PM
well, here comes some dichotomy!

yes, in a way (even in the short time I've been trying to make music its changed) the proliferation of easy access software, and to some extent the immediacy of myspace etc, has meant that every man, his dog, and any other pets he may have, are all knocking out music and a rate of knots and thinking it has some inherent value because their mates say it sounds ''phat''. but still, if something is made that really touches people then regardless of how its made will still touch people and get into the conciousness.

the flip side of this proliferation of easy access software etc etc is that more people have an opportunity to try it, to try their own thing, to experience music from the 'other side', and maybe, just maybe, this drives our type of music as a whole forwards?

interesting subject, but I'm too pissed to properly get into it.

You've nailed it right there man, those are my beliefs as well.

The_Laughing_Man
23-04-2009, 04:43 PM
yellow isn`t as yellow as it used to be.

DannyBlack
23-04-2009, 04:57 PM
yellow isn`t as yellow as it used to be.

Colour is dependent on the Viewers perception. Colour will only lose its meaning if the person Viewer perceives it so.

judas_beast
24-04-2009, 10:00 PM
You've nailed it right there man, those are my beliefs as well.

it's just Techno at the end of the day innit?! ;)

judas_beast
24-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Colour is dependent on the Viewers perception. Colour will only lose its meaning if the person Viewer perceives it so.

Or, one could argue (if, like me, you're a bit bored and an anal cunt) that ''colour'' is derived from its spectral wavelength.

However, if one then wanted to be even more anal, and was basically a bit of a twat (me again) you could say that colour is actually not something's inherent wavelength, rather it is the perception of said wavelength

So basically I've just agreed wit you.

damn...

DannyBlack
24-04-2009, 10:24 PM
:lol:

It all boils down to the individuals perception. Fact.

judas_beast
24-04-2009, 10:39 PM
:lol:

It all boils down to the individuals perception. Fact.

No one likes a smart alec! or Danny even! ;)

bugmenot
02-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Music never had any "meaning" in music in the first place.

There is no meaning in anything, except the meaning that we give things, and then forget that it was us who gave the thing meaning.

Sounds like what the guy in the OP is really saying is that he is unwilling to accept the reality that all is flux, all is change.

We seem to be living in a age of ADHD, where people want more, newer,better stuff right now, not tomorrow, so if you don't move at that speed, you get left behind.

Trying to make a classic track that will "Last" seems like a bit of a joke in the present climate

My guess is that he no longer felt important once his moment faded, and many artists need approval and to feel important as much as they need to create.

Money does come into it as well, but I think the emotional side of it is very strong, the feeling of being important, of making a mark in other peoples lives, sharing experience with them.

Do you think someone like Jimi Hendrix would stop playing guitar if he wasn't getting paid?
I reckon he would still play for free just for the buzz of it anyway, he seemed to be in deeper than most, I would guess the fame and money were a fringe benefit to him.

DannyBlack
02-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Music never had any "meaning" in music in the first place.

There is no meaning in anything, except the meaning that we give things, and then forget that it was us who gave the thing meaning.

Sounds like what the guy in the OP is really saying is that he is unwilling to accept the reality that all is flux, all is change.

We seem to be living in a age of ADHD, where people want more, newer,better stuff right now, not tomorrow, so if you don't move at that speed, you get left behind.

Trying to make a classic track that will "Last" seems like a bit of a joke in the present climate

My guess is that he no longer felt important once his moment faded, and many artists need approval and to feel important as much as they need to create.

Money does come into it as well, but I think the emotional side of it is very strong, the feeling of being important, of making a mark in other peoples lives, sharing experience with them.

Do you think someone like Jimi Hendrix would stop playing guitar if he wasn't getting paid?
I reckon he would still play for free just for the buzz of it anyway, he seemed to be in deeper than most, I would guess the fame and money were a fringe benefit to him.

:yup: great introductory statement. welcome to the board mate.

278d7e64a374de26f==