PDA

View Full Version : Mutliple delays on kicks

tracatak
23-03-2009, 10:21 PM
hi all

i was just wondering if it is normal or more unlikely that some of these loops in hard techno and schranz have multiple delays on them or is it more of just one kick with one delay and that goes for each kick layered on top of one another

...i used to make a few kicks and have one delay but now i tend to use 2 or 3 different delays with different settings/delay times all together to give it more then just the reg delay(rolling kick drum)..

im trying to get that push pull chugging loop going and with one delay i only seem to get a boring rolling drum ..nothing too complex...hope this makes sense.. and am i barking up the right tree or far off..i know it is whatever sounds good..but is this a common practice or unheard of

thanks

BloodStar
24-03-2009, 05:53 PM
experiment with different delay settings. automate it, cut/paste and take just the echoes, layer it with something else. set different time signatures,. whatever sounds good and stays in sync is ok, tho....

tracatak
28-03-2009, 06:57 PM
thanks..will try

The_Laughing_Man
28-03-2009, 07:14 PM
I find delays on kicks too unwieldy

If you want rolling kicks then program them in and use velocity to control the levels of the various kicks.

tracatak
30-03-2009, 09:36 PM
laughing man..do u mean raise the volume/ or velocity knob so that every other kick is slightly louder or softer then the previous.. like A - - - a - - - A - - - a - - -

A = louder then a

something like that but with four or five kicks? should i put some sorta tail on them ?

does any1 use fruity loops? is POGO a delay? can any1 explain CRF crossfade loop? and TRIM silence trimming threshold? all under precomputed effects in the channel settings ..im using fruity 8

thanks

tracatak
30-03-2009, 09:36 PM
laughing man..do u mean raise the volume/ or velocity knob so that every other kick is slightly louder or softer then the previous.. like A - - - a - - - A - - - a - - -

A = louder then a

something like that but with four or five kicks? should i put some sorta tail on them ?

does any1 use fruity loops? is POGO a delay? can any1 explain CRF crossfade loop? and TRIM silence trimming threshold? all under precomputed effects in the channel settings ..im using fruity 8

thanks

loopdon
30-03-2009, 11:35 PM
You can find some info here:

http://flstudio.image-line.com/help/

or by pressing ''F1'' whilst in fl studio

tracatak
31-03-2009, 01:21 AM
thanks..!

tracatak
31-03-2009, 05:01 AM
wow works like a charm! ...no delays needed at all i think now..how many kicks layered is about average..and what are some good techniques to get them to sit well together..have one for lows one for mids and one for highs etc? is 3 too little is 10 too many? etc..

supergroover
05-04-2009, 04:17 PM
It really depends on your kickdrums you want. Sometimes you only need one imho. Sometimes it works good to layer them. Then its good to cut some freqs and maybe boost some a little. And you could add some compression to tighten them up. You could also work with adrs settings. From one you might use the attack from another you might use the later oomph of the sound.

The_Laughing_Man
06-04-2009, 08:20 AM
wow works like a charm! ...no delays needed at all i think now..how many kicks layered is about average..and what are some good techniques to get them to sit well together..have one for lows one for mids and one for highs etc? is 3 too little is 10 too many? etc..

Blending kicks if you are using more than one is best done with compression and selective EQ.
IT`s techno, compress your kicks:biggrin::biggrin:

tracatak
07-04-2009, 12:32 AM
i agree lately i have been doing this

k--- k--- k--- k---
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

fill up the whole sequencer with kicks and just play with eq, compression velocity esp

josephjobling
07-04-2009, 04:59 PM
i agree lately i have been doing this

k--- k--- k--- k---
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

fill up the whole sequencer with kicks and just play with eq, compression velocity esp

i have never thought of trying this - sweet idea - i bet with the right fx you can get some sweet results - gunna try when i get home

278d7e64a374de26f==