PDA

View Full Version : drum synthesis

tech_smack
26-03-2009, 12:20 PM
been experimenting with producing my own drums from scratch recently and found it very interesting and got some good results.

i would like to know if there is any info online about what waveforms and stuff makes up different drums sounds

like a hi hat for example.

been using reasons malstrom to mess about with, is there any good dedicated drum synths worth checking out? i would like somehting ideally where u can see the wavform you are creating and see it adjust and change as you change the parameters n stuff, does anythig like that exsist?

tech_smack
26-03-2009, 12:23 PM
just seen drumular on another thread, that looks pretty cool.

i really want some info on what waveform patterns make what sounds though if anyone knows anything about that please do point me in the right direction

force
26-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Have a look at Drumatic3 mate. Lots of shaping tools for your drums with that...

and its free!!!

tech_smack
26-03-2009, 03:24 PM
nice one , i'll check that out

tekara
27-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Battery 3 shows you the waveforms, and you can adjust it using the various onboard effects. It's quite good with taking a raw .wav sample and letting you carve out frequencies.

tekara
27-03-2009, 09:55 AM
sorry my bad, I just realized that you wanted to program drums directly from a drum synthesizer. Battery can't really help you with that, as it is basically a shaved down version of a Kontakt sampler, with a GUI packaged strictly for drum samples.

BloodStar
27-03-2009, 11:17 AM
i like sonic charge microtonic. feeeling pretty comfortable with it. you see the waveform and how tweaking actually affects it....

tech_smack
27-03-2009, 03:44 PM
some good suggestions here, i really want to get some pointers on actually synthesising drums from scratch, i dont mind using preset starters to get me going but im interested to find out the step by step process of how drums are formed.

been playing about with synths and getting some pretty reconizable drum sounds which seem to sound much better than most samples but i could use a few pointers. is there anything online which goes into detail about how electronic drums are built up / made etc?

judas_beast
27-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Adobe Audition? I know the Psy-trance boys love it.

judas_beast
27-03-2009, 10:11 PM

ORIS
28-03-2009, 04:36 AM

LOL!!! :D

You do love teh bummers.

The_Laughing_Man
28-03-2009, 05:30 AM
for generating your own drums I would say drumular and microtonic are about the best.
Microtonic is better because you can set it to multi tone mode.

TechMouse
28-03-2009, 02:35 PM
I used to always like Attack for drum synthesis.

loopdon
30-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Microtonic should serve the purpose very well.

For your reading pleasure:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Sep02/articles/synthsecrets09.asp

found here

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

There's more in the realms of perc synthesis on that page.

SlimboyPhatt
31-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Recently I have been using Ultrabeat in Logic 8. Amazing.

Have managed to get Minimal kicks all the way through to full Hardstyle kicks.

If your on Mac with Logic you have what you need for good kicks.

JohnnySideways
24-04-2009, 12:02 PM
http://www.soundonsound.com/search?url=%2Fsearch&Keyword=%22synth+secrets%22&Words=All&Summary=Yes

there ya go. almost everything you could need covered here (scroll down for all the articles)
and...my personal recommendation for drums at the mo is fm8
good luck!

tekara
26-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Waldorf Attack i hear is great

stjohn
27-04-2009, 01:47 AM
Recently I have been using Ultrabeat in Logic 8. Amazing.s.

this is fuggin deadly

Patrick DSP
27-04-2009, 02:06 AM
microtonic rocks for drum synth. waldorf attack is awesome as well, but it is getting a bit long in the tooth imo. the waldorf attack they did have a great tutorial PDF that i recommend you keeping an eye out for, it'll give you some great pointers to making your own drum sounds from scratch.

Patrick DSP
30-04-2009, 04:28 PM
This just came out today...
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2009/04/30/synthetic-kits-for-reason/

might be up your alley...

Synthetic Kits For Reason
Nucleus Soundlab release an advanced drum synthesis Refill 30-Apr-09
Synthetic Kits For Reason

Nucleus SoundLab's latest Reason Refill is Synthetic Kits. Here's what they have to say about it...

Synthetic Kits uses the awesome power of Reason 4 to synthesize a new generation of drum and percussion sounds. With Synthetic Kits you gain access to fresh, infinitely configurable drum sounds, while learning advanced drum synthesis!

Synthetic Kits uses Thor, Malstrom and Subtractor to go beyond the tired, old x0x electronic drum sounds. Instead of retreading that synthesis ground, Synthetic Kits continues on to create kits based on FM synthesis, formants, granular and more! These kits will work extremely well in a variety of genres - EBM, trance, filmscore, ambient and even pop.

All kits are in Combinator format and created from scratch. Since these kits are composed out of Reason synths, you are free to tweak them into totally new sounds using our fully-mapped Combinator and Thor knobs. In addition, each kit is packed with at least 4 unique patterns to get you started and inspired!

The next element of Synthetic Kits is the documentation. Continuing Nucleus SoundLab's pioneering approach to Refill documentation, Synthetic Kits' documentation is even more detailed and user-friendly. It includes a new section detailing the designer's inspiration for each patch - as well as better PDF organization.

Details:

* 52 Kit Combinators comprised of at least 4 devices each.
* All Combinator/Thor Knobs and Buttons uniquely mapped.
* 240+ Thor/Mal/Sub device patches organized by type.
* The most detailed patch documentation in the industry - educating on sound design and enabling intelligent performance.

A large variety of MP3 demos and demo videos are available. In addition, a Demo Refill is available for free download. Most MP3 demos are also packed inside the full Refill in .RPS format, allowing you to examine their sequencing and sound design construction in detail.

Pricing and Availability:
Synthetic Kits is available now. It is priced at $49 USD in downloadable format. Nucleus SoundLab Customers will receive a 10% discount on their order.

278d7e64a374de26f==