PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Vinyl

TheRev
30-03-2009, 03:59 AM
Anyone have any experience with shipping large quantities of vinyl overseas?

I'm moving from New York to Amsterdam in a few months and trying to figure out the best way to get my collection over there. That is what I feel I absolutely can't part with / haven't digitized yet.

Any advice?

Do I even better? Should I just digitize like mad and get Seratto or something? Do people even play records there anymore?

Any tips greatly appreciated, and apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place.

acidpisar
30-03-2009, 08:41 AM
I think people play records everywhere so you can ship your vinyls.
If you have too much money use some shipping courier..but you can also ship it by ship as it is really cheap...but it takes up to 2 months.

TechMouse
30-03-2009, 08:55 AM
I have no experience of this, but maybe ship it in chunks?

Your chances of losing something go up, but your chances of losing everything go down.

DannyBlack
30-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Id be inclined to agree with Techmouse. If you have your address over there already, go ahead and move them in batches.

Make sure the box is secure and inside you have it insulated to maintain a neutral temperature. oh and LOTS of bubble wrap and "Fragile" stickers.

teknofilth
30-03-2009, 12:53 PM
I had some flown from london to colombia..went with Royal Mail as their site says online tracking..what they didn't say when I rang to ask where they were as they were a couple of days late "yes we offer online tracking but only up to point of departure"
so check what they actually mean by "online tracking" I would say(!)
they did turn up ok in the end..

DJPAUZE
30-03-2009, 01:01 PM
I have heard you can ship by sea by container and it usually comes out relatively cheap compared to air. Only setback is that it takes a bit of time.

A friend of mine moved over to euro and I'll check to see who he went with.

djfilthmonger
30-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Should I just digitize like mad and get Seratto or something? Do people even play records there anymore?

Keep your vinyl mate!

The Overfiend
30-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Ship via fedex.
If the items are that important they are well worth being insured and trackable.
Yes the weight issue will make them cost.
But if the matter at hand is not parting with your items
Then be as safe and professional with them as possible.

Technologic
30-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Anyone have any experience with shipping large quantities of vinyl overseas?

I'm moving from New York to Amsterdam in a few months and trying to figure out the best way to get my collection over there. That is what I feel I absolutely can't part with / haven't digitized yet.

Any advice?

Do I even better? Should I just digitize like mad and get Seratto or something? Do people even play records there anymore?

Any tips greatly appreciated, and apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place.

Best putting it on a boat because the costing is usually measured by space rather than wieght. If you was to fly it it would cost a small fortune.

Fox Moving and Storage were pretty good, they can deliver to the door or you can collect at the port, up to you...

Edit: we went with Fox but i think it's UK outbound only.

gunjack
31-03-2009, 03:01 AM
depends on distance a lot of times it is cheaper to actually go buy records and bring them back once you get a MILES program or something going...

LOL@containers HAHAHAHAHHA yea dude your shit will arrive all mildewed and warped not a good idea

TheRev
31-03-2009, 04:19 AM
Yeh I'm not worried about timing - taking a month or 2 is actually in my favor since this is part of a job transfer, and as part of it I have to go to elsewhere in europe for at least a month before actually settling in Amsterdam.

Won't actually have an address over there. FedEx sounds outrageous and don't even know how I'd manage that without an address to ship to. Don't think the office over there would appreciate storing my collection till i get there :P

Sounds like there must be ways to package the records so they don't suffer damage in transit, no?

Francisco Scaramanga
31-03-2009, 03:59 PM
LOL@containers HAHAHAHAHHA yea dude your shit will arrive all mildewed and warped not a good idea

Depends on how you pack them, if you just dump them in a cardboard box, then yeah maybe so, but if you use a bit of care, then no, not at all. I've moved across an ocean once, and my parents a few times, when your moving everything you have, ships are the only option. All of my stuff was fine, same with the folks. The stuff that didnt matter to much was just wrapped up and put in cardboard boxes, and it was all fine. The stuff that did matter (like records) was wrapped really well, and insulated/padded, inside wooden boxes. No problems at all.

John Vella
01-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Shipping by someone like UPS or FEDERAL EXPRESS may cost you a small fortune if the weight of the package gets up there. Take as MUCH as you can with you via your luggage. Pack everything properly & professionally and you should have no issues going inside your luggage as well as the slow overseas method. I shipped over a mixer and 2 tech 1200s (not exactly a pile of feathers!!) with the post office for literally 10% of cost it would have been if I had used a commercial courier!! You can also get a tracking number from the post office. Good luck with whatever you decide. Just be careful your luggage is not overweight or else you'll get HAMMERED by the airline for extra costs.

Technologic
01-04-2009, 06:09 PM
depends on distance a lot of times it is cheaper to actually go buy records and bring them back once you get a MILES program or something going...

I shipped over 100+ vinyl from UK > Australia and they were all 100% fine.

Admittedly one of my speakers was busted up but it was on its way out already anyway.

Technologic
01-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Shipping by someone like UPS or FEDERAL EXPRESS may cost you a small fortune if the weight of the package gets up there. Take as MUCH as you can with you via your luggage. Pack everything properly & professionally and you should have no issues going inside your luggage as well as the slow overseas method. I shipped over a mixer and 2 tech 1200s (not exactly a pile of feathers!!) with the post office for literally 10% of cost it would have been if I had used a commercial courier!! You can also get a tracking number from the post office. Good luck with whatever you decide. Just be careful your luggage is not overweight or else you'll get HAMMERED by the airline for extra costs.

Yeah, long haul flights often dismiss wieght restrictions, i managed to get 1.5 bags of records (60+) on as hand luggage without extra fees.

Dunno if everyone will be so lucky though.

beat_theory
02-04-2009, 01:33 AM
I shipped some records (about 500) to Japan when I moved here. I sent them by ship. It took about 7 weeks.... but they became held up in customs because I was on only on a tourist visa and customs would not release the items until I proved that I was planning to stay in Japan with a spouse visa. In total it took almost 3 months until I got them. I didn't have to pay any import taxes though.

Pack a record bag of all your must have or could never live without items and then ship the rest by sea.

kate manus
14-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Best putting it on a boat because the costing is usually measured by space rather than wieght. If you was to fly it it would cost a small fortune.
. That's what I did when I shipped most of my collection a few years ago, from Montreal to Amsterdam. Cost me a lot less to ship 600 recs by boat than by fed-ex, I priced out various options at the time... mind you I was also shipping some gear and small items, so I had a few pallets. It took about 6 weeks.

278d7e64a374de26f==