PDA

View Full Version : Problem with a 1210 MkII

TechMouse
01-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Okay, so one of my decks appears to be broken.

Basically, the quartz lock light is permanently on and the pitch control doesn't seem to do anything.

Any ideas?

DannyBlack
02-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Yep. replace the pitch control mate. It sounds like you've got a permanent contact between the slide and the actual board either dust or spilt booze would do that.

As far as Im aware you can pick one up for around £30.00. It is painfully simple to replace. If you go down this route and need a hand I can talk you through if needs be- (webcam). It is really just a matter of reverse engineering though.

DannyBlack
08-04-2009, 06:52 PM
If you go down this route and need a hand I can talk you through if needs be- (webcam). It is really just a matter of reverse engineering though.

shit, didn't realise how patronising that sounded :embarrassed:

sorry matey!

Did you manage to get it sorted?

TechMouse
14-04-2009, 10:38 AM
No, not yet.

A mate apparently has a replacement fader I can have so just waiting for that.

Didn't sound patronising at all by the way, I need all the patronisation I can get as I know shit all about how these things work.

DannyBlack
14-04-2009, 12:12 PM
ah cool. Well, if it comes down to it mate, I can fit them no problems. If you're stuck and want to ship them over to me, let me know. Id be happy to do it.

TechMouse
14-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Many thanks, but if it comes to that I'll just take it up to see my technical gurus in Nottingham.

DannyBlack
14-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Safe as mate :-) Keep us posted on how you get on and if you do end up changing it yourself, take some piccys.

TechMouse
28-07-2009, 12:43 PM
**** yeah!

This morning my next door neighbour was throwing out an old 1210.

I rescued it from the bin, swapped the fader with mine and it's now working.

This is clearly a massive win.

tonyc2002
28-07-2009, 01:10 PM
**** yeah!

This morning my next door neighbour was throwing out an old 1210.

I rescued it from the bin, swapped the fader with mine and it's now working.

This is clearly a massive win.

Throwing out!!????!! :confused:

That is indeed a massive win!

TechMouse
28-07-2009, 01:44 PM
The deck itself is thoroughly knackered. The tone arm is seriously ****ed. Apparently his mrs chucked it down the stairs. I didn't ask many more questions.

djfilthmonger
28-07-2009, 03:43 PM
nice one

tonyc2002
28-07-2009, 03:52 PM
The deck itself is thoroughly knackered. The tone arm is seriously ****ed. Apparently his mrs chucked it down the stairs. I didn't ask many more questions.

:lol:

That was probaly a wise idea.

DannyBlack
29-07-2009, 11:03 AM
I would actually stab her. Jesus how id cry. Technics are sacred.

josephjobling
01-08-2009, 09:15 PM
blimey - if my missus did that i'd be doing time for murder.

EMC
21-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Okay, so one of my decks appears to be broken.

Basically, the quartz lock light is permanently on and the pitch control doesn't seem to do anything.

Any ideas?

i have a similar problem on my mkII,
the quartz light comes on somewhere around the -1% mark all the way to 0. have been caught out quite a few times.
any ideas how to fix this?

DannyBlack
21-10-2009, 10:55 PM
That happened to a mates one. There are a few tuning hacks for it but to be hionest they are a pain in the arse. It is easier to replace the pitch control altogether.

Andy
22-10-2009, 03:24 PM
You can buy replacement pitch sliders with and without the PCB.

I'd recommend replacing the PCB as well as the fader to be safe.
The VR302 pot on this board could have also failed you see

My 1210's are at least 15 years old, a few weeks back i decided to fit new a pair of new pitch sliders and re-calibrate them so they're have the 0% aligned. Also matched the pitch range so they are exactly the same at +/-10%

To calibrate them you just need a multimeter and fine tune a few pots

There is a seller on ebay with loads of brand new official Technics parts

DannyBlack
25-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Great advice, Andy. I changed a mates not so long back, PCB and all. You are better off. I never calibrated them though, I'm not sure I have the skills yet.

Andy
26-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Its much easier than you'd think

All you have to do is put the multimeter across a couple of pots, whilst adjusting them until they read the correct value.

VR302 (the one on the pitch slider PCB) needs to be 2.7 ohms for the 0 point to fall directly under the quartz lock click.

VR301 (The blue one on the main PCB under the platter) i dont know the correct ohm rating for dead on +/-8% but with some trial and error i tuned both mine to 10% which was something like 4.5ohms

But as long as they are reading the same both turntables are matched

You could also do it with the VR201 brake adjustment if needed, i know some people do mess with that and screw up the stop button.

EMC
26-10-2009, 10:52 AM
thanks for the advice guys i'll try that out!

278d7e64a374de26f==