PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions

eppertheleper
06-04-2009, 05:53 PM
My dad's doing a lecture/concert series here and the next one is going to be on modern music. He's asked me for a techno track to use as an example. He's specifically asked for something that has slow, gradual transformation rather than big shifts in sound and pronounced breakdowns. He wants to point out that there are subtle changes throughout the track that lead to it sound quite a bit different at the end than it does at the beginning, but for the changes to be fairly imperceptible to the untrained ear. I was leaning towards some older Surgeon Dynamic Tension stuff, but thought I would post here to see if anyone has other ideas. The Surgeon was the first thing that came to mind when he told me the parameters, but I'm open to anything.

This will be an older crowd, so I want to avoid bangers that might scare them. Hard is okay, just not ruthlessly pounding. I'm also looking for something that would be fascinating to a classical listener. They don't have to love it, just find it interesting. He's done this lecture series for years, focusing on one or two composers each year, this year being Haydn and Dvorak. This is the last lecture of the year and he's moving into the modern era composers, but wanted to have this as an example of another type of modern music while he's going through synthesizers and their impact on music as a whole.

Any help is appreciated.

DannyBlack
06-04-2009, 06:09 PM
henry cullen and patrix- headcorn.

djfilthmonger
06-04-2009, 06:24 PM

thats sum pounder Danny..

what about Speedy J his more mellow stuff or collabs with chris liebeng

SlavikSvensk
06-04-2009, 07:31 PM
My dad's doing a lecture/concert series here and the next one is going to be on modern music. He's asked me for a techno track to use as an example. He's specifically asked for something that has slow, gradual transformation rather than big shifts in sound and pronounced breakdowns. He wants to point out that there are subtle changes throughout the track that lead to it sound quite a bit different at the end than it does at the beginning, but for the changes to be fairly imperceptible to the untrained ear. I was leaning towards some older Surgeon Dynamic Tension stuff, but thought I would post here to see if anyone has other ideas. The Surgeon was the first thing that came to mind when he told me the parameters, but I'm open to anything.

This will be an older crowd, so I want to avoid bangers that might scare them. Hard is okay, just not ruthlessly pounding. I'm also looking for something that would be fascinating to a classical listener. They don't have to love it, just find it interesting. He's done this lecture series for years, focusing on one or two composers each year, this year being Haydn and Dvorak. This is the last lecture of the year and he's moving into the modern era composers, but wanted to have this as an example of another type of modern music while he's going through synthesizers and their impact on music as a whole.

Any help is appreciated.

for a classical crowd, i think a very good choice would be jeff mills "utopia"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppJPQ3xsKWI

drift9
06-04-2009, 08:13 PM
some Inigo Kennedy might be nice. some of his stuff on token might fit the bill here nicely.

p_brane
07-04-2009, 09:10 AM
electric deluxe - speedy j?

that has a nice flowing transition throughout

zaalmoetlos
07-04-2009, 10:26 AM
i'd choose grey area by robert hood, this record is precisly what you describe. Maybe the tunnel by hawtin would be a good idea. Or it might be an idea to show the diversity of techno by taking a couple of examples

http://www.discogs.com/Robert-Hood-Moveable-Parts-Chapter-2/release/22632

...Dave...
07-04-2009, 10:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAdgwHB1mDM

force
07-04-2009, 10:50 AM

YES yes yes yes yes!

rhythmtech
07-04-2009, 11:54 AM

+1

Hoth System
07-04-2009, 02:09 PM
What about Growth by Jeff Mills? Has a slow, gradual transformation, it's not a banger - oozes intelligence and complexity - ticks all yer boxes.

DannyBlack
07-04-2009, 05:20 PM

are people not familiar with this track??? seriously, balls to Jeff Mills and Speedy J- although they rock, they fall ever so short of the mark in comparison to this tune.

*ducks for cover*

eppertheleper
07-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks for all the help. I'm relaying them to him as they come in so he can choose. I was also thinking about doing a comparison of the original techno with the performance on the Blue Potential DVD. I'm not a huge fan of the orchestrations there, but it could help to connect with his audience and show that the types of music can intersect.

Keep 'em coming!

eppertheleper
07-04-2009, 05:25 PM
are people not familiar with this track??? seriously, balls to Jeff Mills and Speedy J- although they rock, they fall ever so short of the mark in comparison to this tune.

*ducks for cover*The only Patrix track called Headcorn I'm finding is with Dave the Drummer. Do you have a link?

SlavikSvensk
07-04-2009, 05:26 PM
dave the drummer = henry cullen :)

djfilthmonger
07-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks for all the help. I'm relaying them to him as they come in so he can choose. I was also thinking about doing a comparison of the original techno with the performance on the Blue Potential DVD. I'm not a huge fan of the orchestrations there, but it could help to connect with his audience and show that the types of music can intersect.

Keep 'em coming!

yeah that sounds good

The_Laughing_Man
07-04-2009, 05:32 PM
hmmm if you want something that will be interesting to a classical or musical listener then I wouldn`t say much of the stuff quoted by anyone here is in that category.
Most of the above is loopy.

You want something very polyrythmic with maybe some interesting key interactions.

I would say some of the more experimental mills stuff maybe.
Some of the stuff by the 65DMavericks was also quite musically complex.
Some of the later detroit stuff?
Innigo Kennedy`s Asymetric MP3 releases maybe?
Or perhaps something by Autechre or Arovane

eppertheleper
07-04-2009, 05:36 PM
dave the drummer = henry cullen :)Nice. Don't I feel stupid? Couldn't you just have ignored that post and when people are sharing knowing raised-eyebrow looks around the room, just whisper "It's okay, he's a little slow"?

At least then I don't have to have my ignorance pointed out for all the world to see? Jeez, talk about insensitive!

SlavikSvensk
07-04-2009, 05:45 PM
:lol:

i couldn't help myself...

DannyBlack
07-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Epper, what exactly do you want mate? something representative of intelligent 'avin it' techno or Arty Farty Techno?

The_Laughing_Man
07-04-2009, 06:44 PM
intelligent 'avin it' techno

does that exist?

Jay Pace
07-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Speedy J about the nearest thing I can think of epper

subtle layering, altering rhythms, achieves masses by not really changing much.

electric deluxe as good an example of anything I can think of.

stjohn
07-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Lol at laughing man..

+1 with 65D Mavericks,
Echospace are also good for polyrhythmic stuff
Monolake

you could also maybe give him something else, like AFX - Fenix Funk 5, or something from Clarks last albums.

or something that extends from more academic backgrounds...sampling, found sound, music concréte. Matmos had an album there where they sampled everything from a liposuction operation....

rhythmtech
07-04-2009, 07:37 PM
does that exist?

no, not in chinstrokersville :wink:

.. elsewhere yes

stjohn
07-04-2009, 07:39 PM
intelligent tho? :rolleyes:

edit:: just to clear it up, i just dont like that word in reference to music at all...

DannyBlack
07-04-2009, 08:18 PM
a certain level of inteligence has to go into music making, no?

Technologic
07-04-2009, 08:29 PM
CJ Colland - Right On/the Digger

A bit trancy, but i think it's sorta what you're looking for.

Also try:
Vibe Bar Rejects - Brown Nun (highly recomended)
Chris Liebing - bangpop
Laurent Garnier - Crispy Bacon
Rolando - Night Of The Jaguar (maybe)

p_brane
07-04-2009, 08:46 PM
i'd definately recommend inigo's stuff on his ASY mp3 releases.

spindelen husen on ASYMP3 10 springs to mind. has a really interesting arrangement

www.asymmetric.co.uk

Technologic
07-04-2009, 08:48 PM
a certain level of inteligence has to go into music making, no?

I wouldn't say it's a prerequisite.

I mean, you don't have to have an IQ of 160 to play a guitar, or any instrument for that matter.

A certain level of creativity, yes definitely.

SlavikSvensk
07-04-2009, 09:17 PM
ooh just thought of a good one. my all-time favorite...

teste "the wipe"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9zSiA8jmXs

man, i actually thought those xmix graphics were cool back in the day!

DannyBlack
07-04-2009, 09:17 PM

I mean, you don't have to have an IQ of 160 to play a guitar, or any instrument for that matter.

i play guitar and my IQ is no way near 160 :lol: so yes, point taken.

The Overfiend
07-04-2009, 09:24 PM
There's a track on Dynamic Tension starts out nice and atmospheric then a break comes in and it goes into a steady 4/4 track.
Everyone's played it.

Dj Shufflemaster remix to Cut The Shit works for that as well.

snooch
07-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Inigo Kennedy http://www.asymmetric.co.uk/mp3/Inigo_Kennedy_ASY_MP3_001_In_Parallel_02.mp3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3q7tKQ6Vp4

The_Laughing_Man
07-04-2009, 11:22 PM
no, not in chinstrokersville :wink:

.. elsewhere yes

That`s still a no then.

Smear
07-04-2009, 11:34 PM
This one's a lot less heavy than ones that might have been mentioned but still has a lot of interesting stuff going on. Plus it's got the angle of being something that uses synthesizers but not in a conventional way at all, some Risset-like effects and what have you:

Vromb - Locomotive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21cClh4U7jI

RDR
08-04-2009, 07:57 AM
I like that Vromb track, not heard it before... i can see why its called locomotive.

IMO intelligent music of any sort is music which has something to say more complex than "Get yo Jit on" or "Suck me off" or some other crap like that.

Music which tries to inform rather than command.

DannyBlack
08-04-2009, 12:33 PM
bollocks. Music is as music does. Perhaps "Intelligent" was too strong a word to use. I suppose creative is the better word.

Technologic
08-04-2009, 12:44 PM
I like that Vromb track, not heard it before... i can see why its called locomotive.

IMO intelligent music of any sort is music which has something to say more complex than "Get yo Jit on" or "Suck me off" or some other crap like that.

Music which tries to inform rather than command.

I'd sum up "intelligent" music as experimental, if not, then almost. Focusing on complex drum patterns, atmospheric layering which often creates a soothing, otherworldly vibe. Usually around 140-150bpm. I'd also say it's produced more for the listening experience rather than dance floor destruction (imo).
But yeah, i agree with what you said too.

The_Laughing_Man
08-04-2009, 01:18 PM
This one's a lot less heavy than ones that might have been mentioned but still has a lot of interesting stuff going on. Plus it's got the angle of being something that uses synthesizers but not in a conventional way at all, some Risset-like effects and what have you:

Vromb - Locomotive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21cClh4U7jI

Ah man, you`ve reminded me of some great industrial electronic music I have now.
I love Vromb

djfilthmonger
08-04-2009, 01:27 PM

creativity is a type of intellegentance

Technologic
08-04-2009, 01:36 PM

Maybe from a certain point of view, but there are massive differences in the crux of it all.

Intelligence comes from an ability to process information where as creativity is the ability to create. Having both intelligence and creativity are obviously why the human race are so ****ing good.

Generally you have two types of people, thinkers and doers. the thinkers being the intelligent, the doers being the creatives. Bring these people together and you have a very powerful platform.

Technologic
08-04-2009, 01:43 PM

Maybe from a certain point of view, but there are massive differences in the crux of it all.

Intelligence comes from an ability to process information where as creativity is the ability to create. Having both intelligence and creativity are obviously why the human race are so ****ing good.

Generally you have two types of people, thinkers and doers. the thinkers being the intelligent, the doers being the creatives. Bring these people together and you have a very powerful platform.

djfilthmonger
08-04-2009, 01:55 PM

well essential you could break intelligence in to different groups . like for example some people are better at sport and using there body, under people with maths and that kind thing. and then you have people that are creative.

like u have some one who is terrible at one area but average at 2 others . r brilliant at one and average at the other 2

Technologic
08-04-2009, 02:06 PM
well essential you could break intelligence in to different groups . like for example some people are better at sport and using there body, under people with maths and that kind thing. and then you have people that are creative.

like u have some one who is terrible at one area but average at 2 others . r brilliant at one and average at the other 2

Yeah, i see what you're saying, you do have to have a degree of intelligence to create i suppose.

Although saying that, dolphins are supposed to be very intelligent yet their only creative power is to reproduce.

Igneous
08-04-2009, 02:56 PM
This is the sort of thing I had in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJlSAEkKYKo

Jaguar is also a good call or maybe something of Surgeon - Force & Form

The Overfiend
08-04-2009, 03:33 PM
You could just have someone write something for you also

Loop
08-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Id be tempted to give him some Deepchord.

eppertheleper
08-04-2009, 08:42 PM
I'd also say it's produced more for the listening experience rather than dance floor destruction (imo). To answer Danny's earlier question, this is kind of what I'm going for. More headphone techno that dancefloor banger. I'm not wading into the conversation on what's intelligent or not, because stuff like the aforementioned Badger Bite does both very well. Most of his crowd is 55+, so they might automatically be turned off by some really slamming stuff, whereas they'd be a bit more likely to give something more tame and a little more cerebral a fair shake.

Technologic
08-04-2009, 11:17 PM
In that case...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiVe_4UVhEE&feature=PlayList&p=0539E493FAC5467C&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=22

Also do a search for CJ Bolland - The Analogue Theatre (the track) as i think this is what you're looking for. Check the entire album actually cos it's amazing!

djfilthmonger
09-04-2009, 12:02 PM
yeah Cj Bolland rocks . still banging out his choons to this date

DannyBlack
09-04-2009, 01:41 PM
To answer Danny's earlier question, this is kind of what I'm going for. More headphone techno that dancefloor banger. I'm not wading into the conversation on what's intelligent or not, because stuff like the aforementioned Badger Bite does both very well. Most of his crowd is 55+, so they might automatically be turned off by some really slamming stuff, whereas they'd be a bit more likely to give something more tame and a little more cerebral a fair shake.

I getch- well, in that case- Robert Babicz- engage drum or something along them lines.

BloodStar
09-04-2009, 01:42 PM
play them some Joris Voorn or Alexander Kowalski stuff.

Smear
09-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Ah man, you`ve reminded me of some great industrial electronic music I have now.
I love Vromb

Yeah I've spent today re-listening to other Vromb stuff, the guy's absolutely amazing, my favourite techno producer by miles, even though he's not a techno producer, heh.

Craig_Lea
10-04-2009, 11:33 PM
There's a couple of other Surgeon and Speedy J tracks that jumped to mind.

Optic from Communications.
Which has two beeps which kind of start lengthening and overlapping one another as the track progresses.
A bit like Badger Bite, but slower, and less mental.
http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF1546-01-01-06.mp3
http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF227216-01-04-02.mp3

The Fun Equations from Speedy J has a similar feel, as far as lengthening patterns go, but in a more uplifting way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t4dYc53Q4g&feature=related

Technasia - Hydra might fit the bill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt54v_adofA

The Rob Hood remix of Wisdom to the Wise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtb_ci7uN28

And last one...
Emmanuel Top - Industriel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BHcWTCD87I

eppertheleper
14-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I'll post when we decide what to use.

278d7e64a374de26f==