PDA

View Full Version : Catch Phrase

curly
20-04-2009, 10:27 PM
some 152 bmp hardish techno, that i have been working on over the past few days. The vocals were taken from the G20

Stream : http://www.7161.com/streamer.cfm?filename_audio=DT_ACFD8587284418.mp3&dt_track_id=17729

Download : http://213.129.73.14/users_audio/15722/DT_ACFD8587284418.mp3

Little_Fella!
29-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Ahhh.... this reminds me of those nasty early Cluster tracks which were quite their own thing back in the day :;

Am on headphones here so not monitoring properly but I can hear that the balance is much better and the mix is a little less cluttered than the last track I listened too... a good point is at 1:43 where the mix is working well here

It still feels like quite alot of your elements are sitting quite near to each other - the sounds are good, each different and they complement each other - they jus all sit in similar frequency ranges... we all seem to do this when we start out - - well I know I did .. :ohdear:!!

To help here what you do is listen to each individual sound separately - boost the EQ like 3db and sweep thro the frequencies until you here the sounds natural frequency... think of an EQ as 'pumping' air into the sound, so where the main body of the sound is the 3db of 'air' will show up the most, or expand the sound the most, which could be 1.5Khz say... (in these cases roughly) then move onto the next sound and see where that sits...

if they are close together and you want them both in the mix at the same time the mix just sounds flat and you spend all your time trying to chop the EQ to separate them - which then just makes each sound lose it's 'size' making it smaller and less significant to the listener...

The hard thing is that it is better just to lose one of the sounds, say for instance the swishy background sound and replace it with something similar but that sits in a different frequency range... or use that sound separately as part of a bridge or summink - - obviously after going thro yer sounds take the 3db off as the less EQ boosting on individual sounds, the better...

I like the bass when it goes up a note n back down - - this works well... more welly using a bass expander and sub required here, and more sub on your kick without a doubt...

Hope that helps... :cool:

curly
01-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Thank You for taking the time to give me some pointers again Little Fella.

Think it is about time I started paying more attention to the frequency range of the sounds as I create them rather than my usual method of just creating elements that sound good, trying to lump them together, them failing to EQ them togeher. paying attention from the start might be a better idea.

Little_Fella!
02-05-2009, 01:41 AM
Thank You for taking the time to give me some pointers again Little Fella.

Think it is about time I started paying more attention to the frequency range of the sounds as I create them rather than my usual method of just creating elements that sound good, trying to lump them together, them failing to EQ them togeher. paying attention from the start might be a better idea.

Brilliant... you will find that everything slots into place, making life (in the studio anyways! ;) much easier if you choose your sounds in relation to the frequency ranges - - as soon as I followed this advice my production went up a grade almost automatically... glad that helped :)

vinvanman
08-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Tune sounds awesome curly, the bass is driving along nicely. the speakers im listening on now are not great but the track sounds good none the less, great idea; "paying more attention to the frequency range of the sounds as I create", its the way to do it alright. look forward to you posting a new mix down when you edit your freqs

278d7e64a374de26f==