PDA

View Full Version : How do I Djing with Abelton 7

djfilthmonger
21-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Can some please explain in a simple manner how I do it. It really bugs me. how do I match the speed of each track the rest i understand.

whats the easiest way to it. can it be done automatically?

DannyBlack
21-04-2009, 03:32 PM
You have to warp each track you import, Berger. As in, you have to mark each down beat.

There are tons of youtube tut's which is how I learned.

DannyBlack
21-04-2009, 03:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W6BWkRNEig

djfilthmonger
21-04-2009, 03:43 PM
You have to warp each track you import, Berger. As in, you have to mark each down beat.

There are tons of youtube tut's which is how I learned.

really that much effort.
may stick to vinyl
if i paid ya will u do it for me?

DannyBlack
21-04-2009, 03:47 PM
hahaha It's really easy. I'll show you a handy way to do it man.

djfilthmonger
21-04-2009, 03:54 PM
cool cheers

josephjobling
21-04-2009, 11:14 PM
really that much effort.
may stick to vinyl
if i paid ya will u do it for me?

Its worth it, once its warped i'ts warped - - mind you i still only have it down to about 35mins a track - but it is worth it

force
22-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Its worth it, once its warped i'ts warped - - mind you i still only have it down to about 35mins a track - but it is worth it

35 mins to warp ONE track?????????????????

:wot:

The_Laughing_Man
22-04-2009, 10:21 AM
35 mins to warp ONE track?????????????????

:wot:

Jesus, must be doing something wrong.
Takes me about a minute at most.

herman
22-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Yeah other than live drummer based tracks or bad edits you should be done in under a minute per track really.

rhythmtech
22-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Yeah other than live drummer based tracks or bad edits you should be done in under a minute per track really.

some older vinyl recordings can be a bit tricky too but for a newish track with no glitches its a minute job definitly.

djfilthmonger
22-04-2009, 11:34 AM
ill give it a go. Do you just put a marker on each beat or what?

josephjobling
22-04-2009, 06:18 PM
some older vinyl recordings can be a bit tricky too but for a newish track with no glitches its a minute job definitly.

any tips on this then - i must be doing it wrong - i put a marker at every bar - i always find i can here horsey horsey beats if i dont

gunjack
22-04-2009, 09:05 PM
live 8 warp marker "improvements" are shit

rhythmtech
22-04-2009, 11:00 PM
any tips on this then - i must be doing it wrong - i put a marker at every bar - i always find i can here horsey horsey beats if i dont

thats exactly what i do. once you learn what the transients look like you'll be doing a full track in a minute with a marker on every bar.

herman
23-04-2009, 01:49 AM
live 8 warp marker "improvements" are shit

Actually after spending a couple of weeks with 8 now I'm preferring the new system didn't like it all to begin with though.

The_Laughing_Man
23-04-2009, 02:45 AM
I barely need to use markers except on some vinyl rips.
Just rght click on first beat and then warp from here
occasionally need to go to a bar near the end and drag it back in line, but that`s all.

Occasionally the tougher buggers might need a warp marker here and there.

josephjobling
23-04-2009, 10:00 PM
thats exactly what i do. once you learn what the transients look like you'll be doing a full track in a minute with a marker on every bar.

don't know what am doing wrong - will practice on speeding up - is there a quick key to zoom in full cos thats what i spend most of my time doing (zooming in and out)

BloodStar
24-04-2009, 08:00 AM
don't know what am doing wrong - will practice on speeding up - is there a quick key to zoom in full cos thats what i spend most of my time doing (zooming in and out)
Ctrl + mouse wheel UP/DOWN

judas_beast
24-04-2009, 09:51 PM
I read a brilliant article in Future Music, I think, a few years ago explaining how to set Live up for DJ'ing, aimed at someone who'd never used it before at all. I'll scan it up if you like? It's obviously for a an earlier version, 5 or 6 perhaps, but still pretty relevant.

DJPAUZE
28-04-2009, 06:54 PM
And filth, I had a really hard time working with Ableton for a dj set myself. Warping took too much time for me and didnt like the funcionality of the program for mixing. I guess whatever floats your boat. I'll stick to decks... Possiblyl going to try out Traktor in the future....

djfilthmonger
28-04-2009, 07:32 PM
yeah think i will stick to the decks. Traktor or serato seem the route i may go. I have used serato and its the same feel and as fun as using records

The_Laughing_Man
28-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Ableton is simple once you set everything up.
It doesn`t hold your hand like traktor or whatever
You need to build the set to your needs.
EQ`s, filters etc, all configerable to your desires.

I just warped 50 new tracks yesterday and it took me about an hour.

I also made custom loops in some of the tracks so their are variable loops of each tune as well as the full tune.

Took me about 25 mins to set up ableton for 4 channel mixing environment after I had warped all the tracks. Filters and EQ on each channel plus lots of effects over the master to play with, and some stuff on the sends as well.
All assigned to my controller.

Been practicing today and I can do things unimaginable on decks.

You gay boys just need to read the manual or look at some tutorials.
You do have to climb a learning curve but it isn`t very steep, ableton is a doddle and offers much more creative potential than the same old same old.

Jay Pace
28-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Loads of good videos on youtube on how to dj with ableton

djfilthmonger
29-04-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm going to have give it a try properly . but personally i think its way more fun to bang out some records than use a laptop. but it would be handy to know how its done.

Jay Pace
29-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Its more fun, but its still good to know how to use ableton. You can use it as a third deck and add another dimension to your djing. James Ruskin kills at this. Most of his sets are vinyl based, but he can add otherwise impossible things into the mix by using ableton as an additional source.

Its piss easy to use and definitely worth getting to grips with, without a doubt one of the most important live tools out there.

The_Laughing_Man
30-04-2009, 03:01 AM
IMost of his sets are vinyl based, but he can add otherwise impossible things into the mix by using ableton as an additional source.

James has moved on to final scratch now.

278d7e64a374de26f==