PDA

View Full Version : I've just become the Deputy Editor of Core Magazine.

MARK ANXIOUS
01-05-2009, 01:43 AM
Yes I know this Deputy Editor shit sounds like some type of cowboy film :) BUT...

As some of you might know I joined them last month as Techno Editor cause I saw huge potential. Through the help of some really great people, journo's and serious music lovers, we delivered some really great content. Gunjack, Miss Kosmix, Tony, Acid Steve, Kerri Durrant, Dave The Drummer etc etc, have helped me massively. Thank you guys. I really mean it. 100% respect.

We just gotta get into WHSMITH, which is the main priority. Distribution is the key here.

Also sorry to the ppl who provided reviews (me also!!!!) cause the damn designer didnt put them in.

BUT there's ****in huge problems with this mag. It's a full colour 120 mag (the likes of which we havent seen for YEARS in the UK) but the design is crap and the structure is awful. The content needs sorting too. I soooooooooo know what needs to done here. I did it b4 with Wax and also Eternity years ago.

So, yesterday after a meeting with them, I became the deputy editor. First thing was to get a whole new design team involved (the guys that changed Eternity from this type of thing to a respected international music mag) and I am now responsible for planning the whole 120 pages. Sure I'll have to cover lots of different styles equal (that to me is what makes a good magazine), but rest assured guys, I'm in this for good music and I need your input. How good will it be to have a mag we can read when we get on the 2320 from kings cross to leeds? hehehe.. I am so excited as to what this can do for us all over here. Press is so damn important to get our message across. Problem is we havent had that for years.

If any of you guys have ideas, would like to write, or whatever, please let me know.

:)

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/coremag.jpg

RDR
01-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Im feeling really positive about this magazine mark, and would love to contribute... perhaps ill have the time and the skills. who knows.!!!

Good luck with this and congrats on your promotion to dep.ed. Onwards and upwards!

Does it have a technology section?

tonyc2002
01-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Wicked stuff Mark!

djfilthmonger
01-05-2009, 11:47 AM
nice one

DannyBlack
01-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Congrats Mark! Really well done. COME ON TECHNO!!

jon connor
01-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Yes I know this Deputy Editor shit sounds like some type of cowboy film :) BUT...

As some of you might know I joined them last month as Techno Editor cause I saw huge potential. Through the help of some really great people, journo's and serious music lovers, we delivered some really great content. Gunjack, Miss Kosmix, Tony, Acid Steve, Kerri Durrant, Dave The Drummer etc etc, have helped me massively. Thank you guys. I really mean it. 100% respect.

We just gotta get into WHSMITH, which is the main priority. Distribution is the key here.

Also sorry to the ppl who provided reviews (me also!!!!) cause the damn designer didnt put them in.

BUT there's ****in huge problems with this mag. It's a full colour 120 mag (the likes of which we havent seen for YEARS in the UK) but the design is crap and the structure is awful. The content needs sorting too. I soooooooooo know what needs to done here. I did it b4 with Wax and also Eternity years ago.

So, yesterday after a meeting with them, I became the deputy editor. First thing was to get a whole new design team involved (the guys that changed Eternity from this type of thing to a respected international music mag) and I am now responsible for planning the whole 120 pages. Sure I'll have to cover lots of different styles equal (that to me is what makes a good magazine), but rest assured guys, I'm in this for good music and I need your input. How good will it be to have a mag we can read when we get on the 2320 from kings cross to leeds? hehehe.. I am so excited as to what this can do for us all over here. Press is so damn important to get our message across. Problem is we havent had that for years.

If any of you guys have ideas, would like to write, or whatever, please let me know.

:)

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/coremag.jpg

just make sure there is enough in it about techno in order for people like me to buy it , im not interested if its going to be full of hardstyle / hard house nonsense im sorry to sound so cold mark but for years these mags have not given techno the justice it deserves as a reader and potential customer i want information and i want to see artist many of whom post here on this site beeing given the opertunity and promo they deserve. Hopfully with you at the helm we may see more info on techno , M8 mag wax etc etc etc etc never did crap all for hard techno yes mabey you got sum dave clarke stuff richie hawtin and other minimal stuff , but never have we had a mag worth buying that has good hard techno coverage so lets see a chnge with this 1 mate.

and hard techno i mean to, not just schranz proper hard techno and proper artists.

http://openclipart.org/people/celfred/celfred_Pointing_finger.png

morbid
01-05-2009, 03:36 PM
wear it with pride

SlavikSvensk
01-05-2009, 06:37 PM
congrats, mark! i'll look out for import copies here...

APC
01-05-2009, 07:32 PM
I'll buy it!

curly
01-05-2009, 08:09 PM
congrats Mark, good to see your still full of drive after all these years.

Louis Theroux
01-05-2009, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't buy it if it had Alex Kidd on the front of it.

I realise that it is aimed at more than just the techno market but most of his fans probably aren't old enough to be able to read.

A hard techno/schranz section would be good.

dan the acid man
01-05-2009, 09:49 PM

I realise that it is aimed at more than just the techno market but most of his fans probably aren't old enough to be able to read.

IMO it needs to just have one techno section which covers the whole spectrum of styles.

Good luck with this Mark, it will be great to see a decent magazine out there again with some decent techno articles.

DarkYoung
01-05-2009, 11:31 PM

are you the real louis theroux?

DVNT
02-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Best of luck Mark. I read thru this and whilst the techno articles were great! the design was pretty gash. Being a designer myself it was almost by the numbers. If you need any help with the design, give me a bell/email :)

Looking forward to reading more techno stuff thou. Really liked Gunjack's piece! The man has a point!

Siege
02-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Mark....are adrenalins reviews in there or have they not been printed either?

Rog
02-05-2009, 11:59 AM
what made wax great was the cd's!

i think you should consider making the mag available as a pdf via an online download where you can pay or even subscribe for a year...

as it won't make it to kuwait! plus, so many other people love decent music... markets all over the place... uk, germany, poland, serbia, us, israel, lebanon, goa, japan etc etc...

pls pls!!! and good luck!!!

tonyc2002
02-05-2009, 12:24 PM
what made wax great was the cd's!

i think you should consider making the mag available as a pdf via an online download where you can pay or even subscribe for a year...

as it won't make it to kuwait! plus, so many other people love decent music... markets all over the place... uk, germany, poland, serbia, us, israel, lebanon, goa, japan etc etc...

pls pls!!! and good luck!!!

Its available in PDF already mate ;)

Check out http://www.core-mag.net

Electracom
02-05-2009, 05:05 PM
I think a good technology section is vital.

The Overfiend
02-05-2009, 05:36 PM
I think it needs an urban art-graffiti page with photos and interviews......lol

Louis Theroux
03-05-2009, 11:40 AM
are you the real louis theroux?

yes

MARK ANXIOUS
05-05-2009, 07:28 PM
thanks for the badge hahaha

yeah big changes due guys. thanks for your support. rest assured there will be damn good hard techno coverage in this mag. it's all about balance in magazines imho so the hardstyle/hard dance needs to be cut right down and much more underground styles introduced. design will change completely so no probs there.

over the weekend whilst travelling i've designed a whole new website for it, it's not finished but it's a start (test it here: http://www.core-mag.net/test).

as ya can see, i can't wait to get stuck in! hehe

J Raninen
05-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Damn right! There's not enough real hard techno anywhere these days.

Keep up the good work :)

Siege
05-05-2009, 09:26 PM
thanks for answering my question Mark

nice 1 :/

miss kosmix
05-05-2009, 09:45 PM
thanks for answering my question Mark

nice 1 :/

reviews got left out by the editor as did some credits for articles (including mine)
i think that's why mark has got in there, to sort these things out....

digitalboy
06-05-2009, 01:45 AM
I'll have a go.:)

1. keep the cover simple but cool, like some artwork that overfiend sugested. (dont clog it up with to much text like M8 or those types, enternity worked on this format if i remember, it stood out))

2.The Bonus CD idea sounds brilliant..

3. I think the limiting the styles would work against the magazine(already a lot of competition)

4.Some tech pages for equipment and stuff.

5.Quality over quantity.

force
06-05-2009, 10:41 AM
A review of the new 'Noize Network' release would be cool!!

MARK ANXIOUS
06-05-2009, 11:32 AM
reviews got left out by the editor as did some credits for articles (including mine)
i think that's why mark has got in there, to sort these things out....

yeah mistakes are bound to happen in a mag when things arent properly delegated and one person is doing the bulk of the main editing work. structure is the key here i think, not only in the mag content, but also the way it is run. hopefully this will get sorted in the next issue. once again, sorry bout that k, and to all that gave me some reviews. you can see how there would be a chance of this happening without a clear mag plan and structure can't you eh.

Siege
06-05-2009, 11:56 AM
A review of the new 'Noize Network' release would be cool!!

second that

dan the acid man
06-05-2009, 06:11 PM
thanks for the badge hahaha

over the weekend whilst travelling i've designed a whole new website for it, it's not finished but it's a start (test it here: http://www.core-mag.net/test).

as ya can see, i can't wait to get stuck in! hehe

Nice design so far, easy to navigate, clean and simple, excellent.

A.P.
19-06-2009, 01:29 AM
This mag is great for the scene.
Nice one!

278d7e64a374de26f==