PDA

View Full Version : Final Decision: Studio H/P & MIDI Controller

tekboi
01-05-2009, 03:13 AM
I have decided on which PC I will build & decided on which VST plugins I will be purchasing for my home studio, all that is left is getting the following:

1. Studio Headphones: Dont have enough money at the moment for studio monitors, so I need to go for some good quality studio headphones, dont want something very cheap but do have a budget, need a list or guide of which headphones for a good price will do the job for me???

2. I am looking for a midi controller/keyboard to mainly have control over plugins, effects, synths via the use of the knobs & faders. What would be the best option for me? Also, am I better off going for a controller with no keys & just knobs/faders or go for a keyboard with keys/knobs/faders, what you think???

Thanks guys, this will help me cover all grounds & finally setup what I want at home :)

Jay Pace
02-05-2009, 04:55 AM
You really need monitors. Headphones just don't give you the same effect, you can't understand the impact of transients, you can't feel bass and you can't understand stereo.

But if you absolutey can't get monitors, I got some lovely sennheiser 595s for under 100 quid, and they sound the shizzle. The high end Shure in ear monitors are sublime as well if you need small and transportable.

Midi controllers are really dependant on what you use them for. Do you need an actual keyboard, or just lots of knobs and faders? Midi controllers are really about how you use them, not what the best one is. There are loads of good comobos, good units, keyboards etc but its really about how much importance you put on each of the elements.

tekboi
02-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks Jay..

Not enough money for monitors yet, working on it, I will look into those headphones.

As for the MIDI controller, I am looking to mainly use it for the knobs & faders, where I can control parameters within different VST instruments & effects etc.
If I am drawing most of my notes in my sequencer's editor, then I am assuming there is not much need of the keys? But then again, what are the bonus of having the keys with knobsx & faders? Thats a rough overview of what I am looking for but I would love recommendations on both, controller with keys & one without but both having enough knobs & faders for me, what you think?

Respect, thanks heaps :)

josephjobling
02-05-2009, 08:35 PM
As for the MIDI controller, I am looking to mainly use it for the knobs & faders, where I can control parameters within different VST instruments & effects etc.
If I am drawing most of my notes in my sequencer's editor, then I am assuming there is not much need of the keys? But then again, what are the bonus of having the keys with knobsx & faders? Thats a rough overview of what I am looking for but I would love recommendations on both, controller with keys & one without but both having enough knobs & faders for me, what you think?

Respect, thanks heaps :)
depends what you want in your sound - Imo key give tou a more human (played) feel as for me it is easier to play notes a bit out of time.

Barely Human
02-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Personally i would buy a cheaper pc and use freeware plugs so I could buy a decent set of monitors and some basic room treatment. They are the most important part of the studio, they are the only part you hear.

tekboi
04-05-2009, 02:26 AM
I understand what you guys are saying but its not helping me in my search for a controller/keybaord..

I would just like a few recommendations on a MIDI Controller & MIDI Keyboard?

My main aim is to have control of the parameters in the VST plugins I am using & Ableton using the knobs/faders on the controller..

Thanks heaps :)

Jay Pace
04-05-2009, 04:32 AM
Get one of these:

I don't own one, they don't sell them here. But i've heard nothing but good reports, they're cheap, sturdy and reliable.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBCF2000

if you need a keyboard, there's a zillion options, but it comes down to you ability to play keyboards as well.

curly
04-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Get one of these:

I don't own one, they don't sell them here. But i've heard nothing but good reports, they're cheap, sturdy and reliable.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBCF2000

Im looking at getting one of them myself. Nothing else has motorised faders even close to that price.

vinvanman
04-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Novation remote 25 is a good controller, its got plenty of knobs, faders, pads and a great keyboard with weighted keys enough for most projects, they are cheaper now because novation have brought out a mk2 version. here's one second hand on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Novation-ReMOTE-25SL-25-Key-MIDI-Controller-Keyboard_W0QQitemZ330326927461QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ce904e865&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

278d7e64a374de26f==