PDA

View Full Version : help please.

DarkYoung
04-05-2009, 12:24 PM
guys i really want to start messing about with creating tunes etc

when i say i'm a complete novice, i really mean it.

i don't suppose anyone has anything like Fruity Loops would like to help me out so to speak please. thanks dudes.
i've ehard fruity loops is most user friendly package, and i think cubase/ableton might be a bit too complex for me.

rhythmtech
04-05-2009, 12:35 PM
i'd suggest you go and download a demo of either fruityloops or sony acid. then read the manual as you go, trying out the differant things it describes as you go along.

there's also plenty of tutorials available on youtube.

be prepared for long term learning if you really want to do it. i personally wouldnt be expecting to do anything of any real value whatsoever for at least 6 months and even then it'll still be sh1t!

i know it sounds harsh but the first few years, while being an amazing eye opener, can also be a HUGE pisser!

TechMouse
04-05-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm a big fan of Reason, but there you go.

Jay Pace
04-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Reason is great fun. If you're going to get to grips with anything, I'd recommend reason. You'll need to read a bit to get familiar with the different machines etc, but what you learn from reason you can take to any other software package you later go on to use. Plus reason comes with tons of sounds, samples, loops already to go.

josephjobling
04-05-2009, 03:58 PM
i'd suggest you go and download a demo of either fruityloops or sony acid. then read the manual as you go, trying out the differant things it describes as you go along.

be prepared for long term learning if you really want to do it. i personally wouldnt be expecting to do anything of any real value whatsoever for at least 6 months and even then it'll still be sh1t!

i know it sounds harsh but the first few years, while being an amazing eye opener, can also be a HUGE pisser!

i heren you there - i've been at it for just over a year - i think i've learned the programmes pretty well but still not had much worth listening to. on the plus side every time i start a new project i learn something new which always makes me feel like i'm heading in the right direction

DarkYoung
04-05-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm a big fan of Reason, but there you go.

yes i have heard of reason before, i think i had it at one point along with ableton and cubase, and i went and lost the disc.
doesn't reason have rebirth on it, and have a 303 emulator?

a few friends of mine nrg phil and dan, have been using cubase for a while now, and made some pretty good tunes on it aswell.

i had some fun using a synth on saturday, and i'd love to be able to use something which could intergrate using a synth with all the rest of it (?)

DarkYoung
04-05-2009, 05:32 PM

well it took me about 3 years to even remotely dj to a mediocre standard, so i am willing to wait and learn.

DarkYoung
04-05-2009, 05:44 PM
right i've looked on my program list and i have Ableton 8.0 (or a 14 day demo of it anyway)

and Wavelab and SonicFoundry. Although i genuinely don't have a clue what to do.
i'm going to actually watch some tutorials on the net etc.

although i might buy reason, i do like buying programs, and stuff.

judas_beast
04-05-2009, 06:19 PM
I would recommend trying to get to grips with Cubase/Logic/Sonar or something of that ilk, because although other programs might be more easily acessable, they may also become limiting after a short while and then you might feel like stepping up to Cubase etc is akin to starting again.

But thats just me.

Good luck what ever and have fun with it.

DarkYoung
04-05-2009, 06:25 PM
I would recommend trying to get to grips with Cubase/Logic/Sonar or something of that ilk, because although other programs might be more easily acessable, they may also become limiting after a short while and then you might feel like stepping up to Cubase etc is akin to starting again.

But thats just me.

Good luck what ever and have fun with it.

no illegal software talk here, thanks calv ;-)

SlavikSvensk
04-05-2009, 06:27 PM
+1 for reason. it's easy to learn and the sound quality is much better than in previous iterations.

BloodStar
05-05-2009, 08:22 AM
grab a copy of Ableton Live. deffinitely better choice than Reason.

DarkYoung
05-05-2009, 08:52 AM

well i don't a spare 450 quid to pay for that at the moment unfortunately.

BloodStar
05-05-2009, 09:03 AM
hmm, hard to say. ask some of your friend if he has AbletonLive LE version,. it is usually packed with some HW. i have one, and can send you if you want...

DarkYoung
05-05-2009, 05:09 PM
hmm, hard to say. ask some of your friend if he has AbletonLive LE version,. it is usually packed with some HW. i have one, and can send you if you want...

yes please. i'll pm you. i can reimburse you any postage costs, do you have paypal?

BloodStar
05-05-2009, 05:48 PM
no prob, man. i can send it pretty cheap with our local post service. once we meet you'll buy me a beer ;-]

DarkYoung
05-05-2009, 06:52 PM
no prob, man. i can send it pretty cheap with our local post service. once we meet you'll buy me a beer ;-]

thanks dude.

where about s in UK are u dude?

TechMouse
06-05-2009, 06:10 PM
I find Reason rewired into Ableton is pretty much all you need.

Ableton is amazing, but it's not a sound source as such.

DarkYoung
06-05-2009, 06:42 PM
I find Reason rewired into Ableton is pretty much all you need.

Ableton is amazing, but it's not a sound source as such.

well i've got cubase installed now.
it's a bit fiddly. but i've got a 909 vst and i'm happy with that.
if i can learn how to sequence some music on that i'll be happy.
but to say i don't know what to do know would be a massive understatement.

Siege
06-05-2009, 09:28 PM
if your an absolute begginer id say you could have picked something far easier to start off with.

DarkYoung
06-05-2009, 10:50 PM
if your an absolute begginer id say you could have picked something far easier to start off with.

the thing is Siege, that my two closest friends are both using cubase.
even if i had a brand new copy of reason or ableton right now, it would be uselss in my hands.
the only way i am going to learn is from my mates, who can share with me what the process is. otherwise i'm ****ed.
if those two knob jockeys can program something with cubase then i can.

josephjobling
07-05-2009, 10:47 AM

I'd go with this advice dark young its a good idea - when you posted the thread you suggested an intrest in fruity loops so in your mind you will go further to try and learn FL as i think the one you imagine using will be the best to start.

xes
07-05-2009, 10:52 AM
You're going to need to invest in a little midi keyboard DarkYong. You can pick them up pretty cheep on Ebay. Like 20 quid or somehting. Unless you want a sexy one with twiddly bits on.

Siege
09-05-2009, 09:42 PM
the thing is Siege, that my two closest friends are both using cubase.
even if i had a brand new copy of reason or ableton right now, it would be uselss in my hands.
the only way i am going to learn is from my mates, who can share with me what the process is. otherwise i'm ****ed.
if those two knob jockeys can program something with cubase then i can.

ah, youl be sorted then....does help a lot that way.

278d7e64a374de26f==