PDA

View Full Version : What is techno, exactly?

SlavikSvensk
07-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Is it a specific style (or set of styles) with established sounds and themes? a style of music where, when you pick up a new record, you already know what to expect from it?

Or is it a broad orientation towards electronic music, a way of thinking about sound, rhythm, etc.? a style of music that's fundamentally open and experimental, so when you pick up a new record, you might be surprised by what's on it?

Or something else entirely?

...and whatever you think it is, what do you think it should be?

xes
07-05-2009, 06:39 PM
What is techno?

Dirty, hard, electronic music

What should it be?

F*CKING LOUD!!

DarkYoung
07-05-2009, 06:41 PM
i think we need derrick may - only he can define techno in his own crazy way.

tonyc2002
07-05-2009, 07:06 PM
I'll tell ya what techno is!

Over Analysed

:lol::tongue::wink:

The_Laughing_Man
07-05-2009, 07:24 PM
yeah we`ve had this question many times.
It`s sooo subjective.

For me it is electronically made music that utilisises and embraces technology, is somewhat futuristic in ideal, is rhythmically based, and steers way from the current norm or zeitgeist of electronic music.

The Overfiend
07-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Aural Expressions

judas_beast
07-05-2009, 07:40 PM
what isn't Techno, exactly?

The_Laughing_Man
07-05-2009, 07:53 PM
classical music
indy pop
shoreditch retro rock
gangster rap
the list goes on......

judas_beast
07-05-2009, 08:05 PM
classical music
indy pop
shoreditch retro rock
gangster rap
the list goes on......

stick a 4/4 909'esq kick behind a Chopin loop etc......

Patrick DSP
07-05-2009, 08:06 PM
IMO, Techno is music made wrong. ie, tossing out owners manuals and preconceptions of how to make music and just having fun.

no egos,
no who's on top,
no who's buying what,
no who's charting who that's really warped a lot of people's ideologies.

Just experimentation with sounds, it's limitations, seeing beyond that and having fun with it. Or maybe I'm just an old fart that remembers when 808 state and 2 bad mice were considered as techno along with Blackdog and AFX.

BRADLEE
07-05-2009, 08:24 PM
For me, techno is a emotional release, a piece of my soul painted in sound, and a confession of imperfections in my heart and mind. Or maybe that's just how I use techno within my life. The sound itself is the sound of freedom....like the first time you heard it on a loud sound system, the way it made you feel. The night that something inside of you changed.....Your way of thinking, your way of listening, and your way of not passing judgement on what conventional radios told you to listen to.

The_Laughing_Man
07-05-2009, 08:58 PM
stick a 4/4 909'esq kick behind a Chopin loop etc......

then it isn`t classical music anymore though is it.
A, because you have looped a piece of chopin, and classical music rarely loops, unless it is modern minimal compositions such as Glass, and B, Because you have stuck a 909 behind it, which for most classical music that moves through time sgnatures, would be impossible.

and with a 909 behind it I wouldn`t say it is techno either.
All 909s should all be destroyed.

judas_beast
07-05-2009, 09:03 PM
My point, if there was one, is that Techno (to me at least) embraces a bit of everything.

I'll shut up now though.

force
07-05-2009, 09:24 PM
and with a 909 behind it I wouldn`t say it is techno either.
All 909s should all be destroyed.

*note to self*

Never let Steve ANYWHERE near my 909's....!!!!!

DarkYoung
07-05-2009, 09:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvjpXDSVc5A

Smear
07-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Anything metronomic that is less, in terms of structure and flow, than house.

curly
08-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Due to it's constantly evolving nature there can't be a definition. If you give Techno a definition it becomes confined and then it would no longer be techno.

Technologic
08-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Techno is the future. Always was, always will be.

I reckon anyway.

The_Laughing_Man
08-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Techno is the future. Always was, always will be.

I reckon anyway.

It`s refreshing to see that being said.
It would be nice if the music being made today reflected this.
Sadly there is too much emulation and not enough innovation.

I think the majority of stuff people would buy as Techno these days, is what techno was and has been for quite some time.
The new music that still does embrace the future, holding the techno ethic, is called something else now, as in terms of genre boxes, there are defined and accepted parameters for what techno is, if that makes sense.
So the music that has kept up and embraced new ideas is something else, even though personally I consider it techno.

Did that make sense?

SlavikSvensk
08-05-2009, 04:27 PM
yeah we`ve had this question many times.
It`s sooo subjective.

never a bad one to bring up for discussion, though.

...and the subjectivity is what makes the answers interesting...

gunjack
08-05-2009, 06:23 PM
music that makes you say "what the fvck?"

Jay Pace
08-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Stripped down dance music that tends to work around a 4/4 beat and isnt overly formulaic in structure, sounds or styles.

Although I always liked my dad's description of "peas rattling in a can"

gunjack
08-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Stripped down dance music that tends to work around a 4/4 beat and isnt overly formulaic in structure, sounds or styles.

ummm yea apples and oranges that are sweet and juicy but aren't fruit.

Jay Pace
08-05-2009, 08:09 PM
ok, I'll try again...

techno isn't not really defined by having a predictable structure - endless builds and drops (trance, D&B)

Its not defined by certain sounds - like pianos or ogans in house, arpeggiated synths in trance, reese basslines in D&B

It doesn't have one set style (acid, detroit, schranz, gabber)

So its more flexible than other genres, has less rules or conventions, more space for experimentation, wider use of sounds and greater use technology than other types of dance music.

About the only consistent thing I can find about techno is that its generally built around a 4/4 pattern

gunjack
08-05-2009, 08:23 PM
meh 4x4 is all dance music not just 4/4 kick stuff even dubstep is 4/4 man you are talking about time sigs, as far as "more flexibe" that is entirely arguable as well, seriously... more space for experimentation??????? hardly mate... wha ppl call "techno" nowadays is pretty narrow....

Jay Pace
08-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Loads of dance music is defined by having a 2step beat, whilst you can find D&B, dubstep, breaks etc thats 4x4 most of it isn't, whereas most of techno is.

And of the types of music that go down the 4x4 route, I think techno is the most experimental and has the least conventions. Which is why you get monolake and joey beltram producing music under the same genre. You don't get the same amount of variation in other genres.

Anyway, its all subjective but for me its about a lack of convention and lots of experimentation, built round a 4x4 beat.

So yah boo.

The_Laughing_Man
09-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Loads of dance music is defined by having a 2step beat, whilst you can find D&B, dubstep, breaks etc thats 4x4 most of it isn't, whereas most of techno is.

And of the types of music that go down the 4x4 route, I think techno is the most experimental and has the least conventions. Which is why you get monolake and joey beltram producing music under the same genre. You don't get the same amount of variation in other genres.

Anyway, its all subjective but for me its about a lack of convention and lots of experimentation, built round a 4x4 beat.

So yah boo.

It`s very rare to find drum and bass, dubstep or breaks that isn`t 4x4 to be honest.
I`ve never heard any dubstep in 6/8 for example

I think you are talking 4 to the floor, and not the time signature of 4x4, which is pretty much all dance music across the board.

If it wasn`t, DJ`s wouldn`t play it.

As for most experimental, I would give that award to IDM, it really does have a much broader spectrum of techniques, time signatures, scales used, frequency bias, just about everything, compared to techno.

I truly truly would like to hear more experimentation in techno, and I am starting to now that I am exploring the digital world of music more thoroughly, but the state of the vinyl market and the way distributers dictate product, as well as fashion trends and wagon jumpers etc has left techno with little innovation overall.
That`s not to say good music isn`t being made. There is still plenty of good music, but it`s hardly innovative or experimental, not when compared to IDM, and even dubstep, to a point.

As for conventions, again, I think there are quite a few walls in techno keeping people penned in.
Too many DJ`s play stylistically monochromatically, and as a result it seems to have pushed producers, in general, to keep within the walls (albeit low walls) of their respective subgenres they are aiming for.

For example
You`ll rarely hear some uplifiting and melodic broken beat techno. It`s a genre that mostly goes for colder emotions.
I rarely hear Jazz instrumentation used in techno, except with some detroit and chigago stuff.

I can go on but I think it`s easy when you are so passionate about one type of music, that you can lose sight of what else is happening in other genres, and may think you are on the cutting edge, when in fact your on an old rusted blade.

Now before some goon pops up and says I`m being negative, I`m not at all.
Innovation and Experientation isn`t the be all and end all of what makes good techno, but we shoudln`t kid ourselves into thinking that techno is the most on edge super future music out there.
It doesn`t have to be for there to be good music, but it does allow a genre to evolve and develope, and therefore last.
I personally applaud growth, experimentation, and risk taking in music, but there is still some great techno music being made that is predictable, formulaic etc

I think part of the reason for a downturn of interest in techno may be down to a certain stagnation of ideas, and predictability.

People moan about minimal, but this is the evolution of the main current of techno, like it or not, this is what most people now call techno, as in punter, not producer.
To combat this, rather than moaning about it, people should be trying to make something new and different, rather than running back to the studio crying in a corner and then knocking out another hypercompressed collection of mashed up loops.

The problem with taking risks is that you might not succeed, and may have to try many ideas before you find something that works, and I think the trend is impatience and a need for immediate success, instant gratification without too much effort or thought.

I love it when I hear a DJ or a producer try something different, and I love it equally when it doesn`t work at all because at least you can feel that there is some soul in there trying to be itself.

gunjack
09-05-2009, 04:03 AM
yea man thank you i did not have time to school them hahaha

Jay Pace
09-05-2009, 03:39 PM
I think you are talking 4 to the floor, and not the time signature of 4x4, which is pretty much all dance music across the board.....As for most experimental, I would give that award to IDM, it really does have a much broader spectrum of techniques, time signatures, scales used, frequency bias, just about everything, compared to techno.

Tricky to dance to IDM though. Tends to empty out floors. Within the context of four to the floor, danceable electronic music techno i think techno is more experimental.

There's definitely something to say about the fact that techno music is still largely aimed at clubs. Its music to be danced to. Much as i love autechre and co. IDM doesn't really play the same sort of role.

The_Laughing_Man
09-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Tricky to dance to IDM though. Tends to empty out floors. Within the context of four to the floor, danceable electronic music techno i think techno is more experimental.

There's definitely something to say about the fact that techno music is still largely aimed at clubs. Its music to be danced to. Much as i love autechre and co. IDM doesn't really play the same sort of role.

I think your wrong really.
Look at aphex twin bangin things to bits at Bloc
OR acts such as Lusine or Arrovane, utterly danceable, totally experimental.
There are many more acts, Autechre don`t really count for the majority, and in fact your assumption that all IDM is broken super staggered beat stuff like autechre shows your own pidgeon holing of a genre that is VAST in scope, in comparison to techno.

Even dubstep has pushed things in terms of experimentalism more than techno in the last few years, with really unconventional sounds and very very loose beat structure.

I`ve been bying a lot of minimal house recently, which is also showing more innovation and experimentation than techno currently.

I can`t really pick that much techno out, outside of minimal, that has been experimental or innovative for the last few years, bar a few exceptions.

Care to name a good majority of techno that is vaguely experimental and deviates from the techno norm that has been made in the last 4 years?

SlavikSvensk
09-05-2009, 05:30 PM
IDM is sort of a residual category, isn't it? the electronic music that doesn't fit into the other easy-to-define genres? or is it a specific sound with specific rules or markers?

seems to vacillate between those poles, as i see it. but i think jay's point is valid to an extent...for many practitioners, the point of IDM is that it is self-consciously "brain music" and not necessarily self-consciously "dance music." by "brain music," i guess i mean music that is designed to be listened to and appreciated on its own merits, not meant specifically for a dance floor and not necessarily meant to be DJed. "dance music," then, would be music composed specifically for people to dance to and to be DJed. techno, as i see it, is almost always self-consciously "dance music" and only sometimes self-consciously "brain-music."

[note: you can argue techno is always "brain music." i'm just saying that a lot of techno producers think of their music as "for the dancefloor" rather than "for the living room or ipod]

Jay Pace
09-05-2009, 07:13 PM
I think your wrong really.
Look at aphex twin bangin things to bits at Bloc
The times I've seen AFX djing he's played what could only really be described as techno. Mental across the board techno, but still techno. Plus masses of his productions could happily be described as techno. Thats the term he uses anyway...

Other times I've seen him live its been amazing to listen to, but apart from mad little bursts it was more of a concert than a rave. Different vibe, different intent.

in fact your assumption that all IDM is broken super staggered beat stuff like autechre shows your own pidgeon holing of a genre that is VAST in scope, in comparison to techno.

Hang on, what assumption? Like you said all this is subjective. IDM evidently means something different to me than it does to you. I get a different attitude and vibe from music generally considered IDM. It serves a different purpose.

Care to name a good majority of techno that is vaguely experimental and deviates from the techno norm that has been made in the last 4 years?

Why the four year limit? Since the term techno has been bandied about, we've seen everything from london acid to dub techno evolve from the same roots. Sven Wittekind makes ears bleed and Sleep Archive write lullabies. How did that happen if there's no experimentation? If nobody is pushing anything in new and different directions, how come there's so much variation?

SlavikSvensk
09-05-2009, 07:15 PM
you could argue that variation is "institutional legacy" of previously established norms and categories.

...wait, this isn't the metropolis... :;

The_Laughing_Man
09-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Why the four year limit? Since the term techno has been bandied about, we've seen everything from london acid to dub techno evolve from the same roots. Sven Wittekind makes ears bleed and Sleep Archive write lullabies. How did that happen if there's no experimentation? If nobody is pushing anything in new and different directions, how come there's so much variation?

When was the last new movement?
Schranze originated in about 99.
Sleep archive can be traced directly to Basic Channel, a sound and technique about 10 years old now?
What, if anything, new has happened in the last 4 years? I would even say 6 years really.

We aren`t talking about the past we are talking about now, there is very little experimentation NOW, and nor has there been for ages.

What WAS experimental music isn`t so much now. That is my point.

If we are talking music since the beginning of time then all music WAS experimental at some time. And still that pushes techno out of being the most experimental dance music.

You see my point now?

It doesn`t matter, good music is atill being made, but when people harp on about techno being so experimental, alarm bells begin ringing for me of narrow vision.

DarkYoung
09-05-2009, 09:34 PM
sound of the underground innit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V24BBbF6dGI&feature=related

Technologic
10-05-2009, 03:02 AM
It`s refreshing to see that being said.
It would be nice if the music being made today reflected this.
Sadly there is too much emulation and not enough innovation.

I think the majority of stuff people would buy as Techno these days, is what techno was and has been for quite some time.
The new music that still does embrace the future, holding the techno ethic, is called something else now, as in terms of genre boxes, there are defined and accepted parameters for what techno is, if that makes sense.
So the music that has kept up and embraced new ideas is something else, even though personally I consider it techno.

Did that make sense?

Yeah I guess so. You could say that anything is techno providing that in it’s most primary stage it has that futurist element, it doesn’t matter what time signature it has or what, it just has to have a futuristic or science fiction theme…

On my second thoughts, i think the foundations of techno has a futurist element for sure, but techno has evolved, it’s taken influences from elsewhere… i mean, tribal techno is putting a modern twist on music that's been played for centuries and there’s a million and one other influences that producers adhere to, so I don’t think this is a rule exclusive to techno, but music in general.

Boy, this is deep...

Ritzi Lee
10-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Techno music is based on concepts, ideas and human imagination.

jon connor
11-05-2009, 11:49 AM
sound of the underground innit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V24BBbF6dGI&feature=related

yea i wouldent mind seeing Sheryl cole under dressed WOW! FORGET THE OTHERS THERE CRAP BUT WE FORGIVE SHERYL MY GOD A FANCY THAT WOMEN I WOULD ABSOLUTLY GIVE HER A GOOD BLOODY HIDING PHEWWW! IM ALL HOT NOW WHY DID YOU MENTINON THIS HAHAHAHAHA

Technologic
11-05-2009, 01:08 PM
When was the last new movement?
Schranze originated in about 99.
Sleep archive can be traced directly to Basic Channel, a sound and technique about 10 years old now?
What, if anything, new has happened in the last 4 years? I would even say 6 years really.

We aren`t talking about the past we are talking about now, there is very little experimentation NOW, and nor has there been for ages.

If we are talking music since the beginning of time then all music WAS experimental at some time. And still that pushes techno out of being the most experimental dance music.

You see my point now?

It doesn`t matter, good music is atill being made, but when people harp on about techno being so experimental, alarm bells begin ringing for me of narrow vision.

Yeah, i see where you're coming from, but when you do listen to the original shiznee like Digeridoo or Spastik (for eg) then it was certainly groundbreaking stuff which laid many of the foundations for what we now know as techno.

You have got me thinking about anything new and exciting that's been done recently, maybe not the music structure and characteristics, but certainly the formats, software and hardware has developed a hell of a lot, paving ways for groundbreaking sounds, techniques and tricks that are can be hard to comprehend at first listening, and i think techno is often about embracing the new technologies rather than solely trying to create that innovative masterpiece for the masses.

Jay Pace
11-05-2009, 04:13 PM

Plenty of hard techno producers are now making music described as minimal. For Adam Beyer to change style from the king of grungy loops to uber polished shuffle funk required a fair bit of experimentation on his part. Thats mainly happened in the last 5 years or so.

Fair enough, new ground isn't being broken on a daily basis, and the whole new minimal movement isn't particularly innovative given that hawtin can claim to be on the cutting edge, and still play all his old plastikman tracks alongside the newest stuff around and most people won't notice the difference.

In terms of shifts and movements there's stuff still happening, but its more subtle I suppose. I love the really polished carl craig sound, and the mix of melodic elements that falls somewhere between house and techno. That sound is new and different, even if it isn't exactly groundbreaking of innovative. It does show evolution though, and experimentation on the part of the artists. People aren't making music which conforms rigidly to a set of rules, in order for it to sound like "techno" and not something else. Well, thats my take on it anyway.

DannyBlack
11-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Techno to me is something I love, something I can have fun with. The soundrack to my life.

The_Laughing_Man
11-05-2009, 07:28 PM
In terms of shifts and movements there's stuff still happening, but its more subtle I suppose. I love the really polished carl craig sound, and the mix of melodic elements that falls somewhere between house and techno. That sound is new and different, even if it isn't exactly groundbreaking of innovative. It does show evolution though, and experimentation on the part of the artists. People aren't making music which conforms rigidly to a set of rules, in order for it to sound like "techno" and not something else. Well, thats my take on it anyway.

Hopping from hard techno to minimal is the exact opposite of experimentation though. It`s just following a trend.
Since when is doing that innovative?

Experimentation on the behalf of the individual artist is almost irrelevant, and can apply to any genre.
For all you know everyone within every set of dance music is doing something "THEY" haven`t done before with each new release.
That isn`t to say though, that what they are doing is anything of a different take on the genre they are working within.

I think people are making techno that does conform rigidly to a set of rules so that it doesn`t get called anything else BUT techno.

Exactly that in fact.

And melodic techno being new and different, are you kidding? that sound has been around on and of since the detroit beginnings. Not to say it isn`t good, but hardly a speck of innovation there. That kind of music that sat between techno and house was coming out in greater numbers in the early 000`s.

I spend loads of time looking for techno that has a different edge for Singularity Recordings, and its not easy to find stuff that isn`t an emulation or continuation of a very old sub style.

I love techno, but experimentation within the genre seems to have bottomed out.

Jay Pace
11-05-2009, 07:54 PM
At the same time, things are being done differently now though. The hard techno people switching to a different sound brought new things to that sound. A lot more energy for starters, different structures being used, different types of sounds. Something different did get created, although its obvious which artists were influential in defining that sound.

Melodic techno, sure, nothing new there but there's great music being made with a different approach by artists with different backgrounds. Babicz stuff these days bears little relation to mentalist rob acid tracks from a decade back, but thats not to say he isn't bringing something new and special to the sound.

It's the old adage that there are no truly new ideas, only new combinations of old ideas. I think lots of producers are trying new things, and whilst that maybe only be "new for them" instead of "never been heard by human ears" it still means that you get a fair amount of variety within techno. I really like the fact that techno seems to try out new things, even if trying new things out means borrowing from other genres or trying on different hats at least it shows a desire to experiment, instead of a commitment to staying put.

The_Laughing_Man
11-05-2009, 09:06 PM
And nothing you say isn`t happening in any other genre though.

House has many variations and guises, most of the major dance genres are the same in fact.

So I still say techno is no more experimental or no less predicable than any other dance genre once you investigate.

Technologic
11-05-2009, 09:14 PM
At the same time, things are being done differently now though. The hard techno people switching to a different sound brought new things to that sound. A lot more energy for starters, different structures being used, different types of sounds. Something different did get created, although its obvious which artists were influential in defining that sound.

Melodic techno, sure, nothing new there but there's great music being made with a different approach by artists with different backgrounds. Babicz stuff these days bears little relation to mentalist rob acid tracks from a decade back, but thats not to say he isn't bringing something new and special to the sound.

It's the old adage that there are no truly new ideas, only new combinations of old ideas. I think lots of producers are trying new things, and whilst that maybe only be "new for them" instead of "never been heard by human ears" it still means that you get a fair amount of variety within techno. I really like the fact that techno seems to try out new things, even if trying new things out means borrowing from other genres or trying on different hats at least it shows a desire to experiment, instead of a commitment to staying put.

From what i've gathered, techno ranges from the down right filthy dirty to the complete and utter pretentious, and then goes through just about anything a producer might take influence from, all whilst engineering new sounds with new technology. It is music for everyone really and fits into our class system at all levels, it's just a shame that not everyone sees it like this, then again, maybe not...

Jay Pace
11-05-2009, 09:15 PM
So I still say techno is no more experimental or no less predicable than any other dance genre once you investigate.Maybe. I've been a fanboy of various genres at different stages though. Hardcore, Prog House, Trance, Breaks, D&B. All of them ended up boring me because they didnt really go anywhere or do anything different. Never been the case with techno, so thats always been part of the appeal for me, and part of what makes it special. But thats what makes it a personal definition as well...

@technologic

Loving that summary.

Technologic
11-05-2009, 09:16 PM
And nothing you say isn`t happening in any other genre though.

House has many variations and guises, most of the major dance genres are the same in fact.

So I still say techno is no more experimental or no less predicable than any other dance genre once you investigate.

If techno was experimental it'd be called experimental and not techno. Although a lot of techno derived from experimental so i guess that's where the confusion lies.

The_Laughing_Man
11-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Maybe. I've been a fanboy of various genres at different stages though. Hardcore, Prog House, Trance, Breaks, D&B. All of them ended up boring me because they didnt really go anywhere or do anything different. Never been the case with techno, so thats always been part of the appeal for me, and part of what makes it special. But thats what makes it a personal definition as well...

@technologic

Loving that summary.

So in a roundabout way you are agreeing.
Techno is great, its my fave dance music, but it`s no more experimental than any other genre.

The Overfiend
11-05-2009, 11:42 PM
I always wonder if anyone still likes dancing, hearing a bad ass beat and being like hells yeah and head nodding or boogie-in

The_Laughing_Man
12-05-2009, 12:43 AM
I think that`s a given.
Had a good boogie myself at the weekend.

Igneous
12-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Techno is human emotion fed into a computer or other technology to produce music. The techno genre usually covers more emotions than other genres thats all. Thats the only real difference I can see from other genres & thats why I like it the best.

I agree with The Laughing Man that techno isn't as experimental as it used to be, especially with other genres emerging that are bassed round experimentation like IDM, Breakcore, etc. IMO this is why techno has taken a slightly backward step with minimal, stripping the sound down. But there is still a lot of veriety though which I think is more important.

Sometimes, when a style of music is defined then it is no longer experimental, its run of the mill, thats the problem with peigon holing music.

I think the next stage of true experimention in music will be through looking at the science of sound, how to move air particals. My money would be on it happening in the techno genre.

The_Laughing_Man
12-05-2009, 11:34 AM
I think the next stage of true experimention in music will be through looking at the science of sound, how to move air particals. My money would be on it happening in the techno genre.

Already happening, not in techno, but in contemporary composition.
The evolution of what was begun with Stockhausen, Xanakis and to an extent, Cage.

Igneous
12-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Already happening, not in techno, but in contemporary composition.
The evolution of what was begun with Stockhausen, Xanakis and to an extent, Cage.

I was thinking more the use of 5.1 Surround sound systems in clubs & new speakers that channel sound into small areas.

There are speakers being developed that work kind like torches, where you can dirrect a sound 20 feet away at someone with out anyone in the room hearing the sound. Once they become standard, musicicains can look at ways of manipulating then

One of the most intersting things I've heared recently was at a small festival where they had a powerfull 5.1 system in a woods. They weren't playing music, just firing signal noises around the area. It had a stangley hypnotic effect.

I think there is probley a bit more scope at looking at how sound frequencys can effect the human body though large soundsystems.

tonyc2002
12-05-2009, 12:58 PM
I was thinking more the use of 5.1 Surround sound systems in clubs & new speakers that channel sound into small areas.

There are speakers being developed that work kind like torches, where you can dirrect a sound 20 feet away at someone with out anyone in the room hearing the sound. Once they become standard, musicicains can look at ways of manipulating then

Hyper Cardioid speakers or 'shotgun speakers'! there ****ing well weird. One of the lecturers at my old college actually helped to develop it.

clubsynthetic
12-05-2009, 02:50 PM
techno is a recursive beat that evolves into more recursive beats through subtle (or not subtle) changes in it's dynamic.

The_Laughing_Man
12-05-2009, 05:56 PM

One of the most intersting things I've heared recently was at a small festival where they had a powerfull 5.1 system in a woods. They weren't playing music, just firing signal noises around the area. It had a stangley hypnotic effect.

I think there is probley a bit more scope at looking at how sound frequencys can effect the human body though large soundsystems.

Pretty much all psychosomatic and physical effect research in sound has been done already and most is available on the net.
I got a few papers from the net about infra and ultra-sound and the various moods related to certain frequencies, but most of these frequencies are out of the range of conventional soundsystems. The stuff I found that could be used I put into my last PA ,Facing Choronzon, which was an experiment with psychosomatics, audio sigils, occult techniques and nlp. When I wasplaying it live I did notice some of the intended effects working, but you are heavily reliant on running through a properly set up sound system for this kind of stuff to be effective.

As for surround sound in clubs, we barely have clubs set up properly for stereo, let alone 5.1.

I`m not sure Audio spotlighting has much of an application musically outside of the art gallery (except for advertising) but it is pretty interesting tech.

There`s a lot of this kind of experimentation going on in contemporary composition and "art" music, but not techno.

The_Laughing_Man
12-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Audio spotlight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wJ5Eff7hx0

Technologic
12-05-2009, 07:08 PM

5:1?

Why not 7:1 or 9:1?

Anyway, lol at subsonic bass causing involuntry bowel movements and Howard Stern using bass to get a girl to orgasm.

The Overfiend
13-05-2009, 12:24 AM
I think that`s a given.
Had a good boogie myself at the weekend.

I wasn't talking about the Olivia Newton John cd I let you borrow.

The_Laughing_Man
13-05-2009, 12:42 AM
I use that as an ash tray.
I spent the night dancing to Burt Bacharach numbers

gunjack
13-05-2009, 01:21 AM
burt is the bomb!

The Overfiend
13-05-2009, 05:58 AM
Believe it or not this is techno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsmGVjAwEA0

force
13-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Anyway, lol at subsonic bass causing involuntry bowel movements and Howard Stern using bass to get a girl to orgasm.

THe Orb made me need a poo at Brixton Academy once.

I'm sure they used that frequency on purpose!!!!

Bowel terrorist, hippy bastards...

Igneous
13-05-2009, 01:54 PM
The stuff I found that could be used I put into my last PA ,Facing Choronzon, which was an experiment with psychosomatics, audio sigils, occult techniques and nlp. When I wasplaying it live I did notice some of the intended effects working,

What genre of music were you playing? (Does sound very interesting)

I think the future of experimentation is possibley less in sound & will probley be more in the actual club 'experience' & visuals tbh. As you say, most of the kit in clubs is ussually knackered & may hold back experimentation. A few times I've played out I've had to hold back my mixing style a bit due to crappy mixers & badley set up soundsystems.

A lot of lasers & lighting rigs work with mics so you can get the odd tune that makes some mad effects.

The_Laughing_Man
13-05-2009, 06:43 PM
What genre of music were you playing? (Does sound very interesting)

Techno idm industrial stuff.
http://iterativemusic.com/db/Voidloss%20-%20Facing%20Choronzon.mp3

I used a form of Gematria to convert ritual passages from the Goetia and some other occult ritual books into number sequences and then used these sequences to generate chord progressions, note order, rhythm patterns and "melodies". I tried to use sounds I didn`t like or wouldn`t normally use in the process as well.
Fairly pretensious, it polarised opinions, but I learned a lot in the process.

qUE
20-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Techno afaics unfortunately seems to be any music made with Technology.

Hard Techno is the dogs bollox tho' 8D

The more weird and abstract, the more I like it personally.

gunjack
20-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Techno afaics unfortunately seems to be any music made with Technology.

http://virgotex.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/logic-youre-doing-it-wrong.jpg

holotropik
22-05-2009, 01:59 PM
But if Beyer went from Grungy tunes to more polished minimal styles...isn't that experimental to him?

split
28-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Techno should sound like what you haven't imagined yet.

Technologic
31-05-2009, 02:26 AM
Techno should sound like what you haven't imagined yet.

Or like, that element of anticipation...

278d7e64a374de26f==