PDA

View Full Version : Moral Musical Dilemma

System 47
23-05-2009, 08:07 PM
i been doing the ableton thing for a while now. loads of mixes. some good, some not so good, but even in the bad ones theres good bits.

my dilemma is this.. i want to put some 'sections' online for free d'load, but as the mixes are all loops cut from other ppls tracks (ben sims to dj amok to carl craig to autechre) so, puttin them online in my 'live context' they are technically bootlegs, though the layering means they have no likeness to the original.

is it cool to put these online ? i dont know.. i feel like i'm stealin other ppls work, but at the same time, they are jus elements, and sometimes parts from up to 5 trax with a Drumazon for extra hats & such, so they arent really straight bootlegs..

what ya reckon ?

judas_beast
23-05-2009, 08:09 PM
put it online as a mix/mashup, not an original piece. plenty of DJ's post mixes consisting solely of other peoples work. So long as you not claim it's an original composition I can't see how anyone could complain?

MITA
23-05-2009, 09:16 PM
yep

the 4th loop crew also does that kinda stuff like you S47

System 47
24-05-2009, 08:18 PM
yep

the 4th loop crew also does that kinda stuff like you S47

amm... i WAS The 4th Loop lol

well... for the most part. was there from the start, workin with various other ppl through out.. started out with one guy, he bailed. brought steve in & then another guy who we had to let go. then jus steve & i.. then i had to bail. steve is still at it with Katrina afaik. different set up though, and a slightly different direction from what ii can gather.

i had to split though due to situations beyond my control, and by f**k has it pissed me off since... but hey.. sh*t happens i guess :)

MITA
24-05-2009, 10:43 PM
lol missed that one mate : )

so then,is that you Pete?

gunjack
25-05-2009, 01:32 AM
i been doing the ableton thing for a while now. loads of mixes. some good, some not so good, but even in the bad ones theres good bits.

my dilemma is this.. i want to put some 'sections' online for free d'load, but as the mixes are all loops cut from other ppls tracks (ben sims to dj amok to carl craig to autechre) so, puttin them online in my 'live context' they are technically bootlegs, though the layering means they have no likeness to the original.

is it cool to put these online ? i dont know.. i feel like i'm stealin other ppls work, but at the same time, they are jus elements, and sometimes parts from up to 5 trax with a Drumazon for extra hats & such, so they arent really straight bootlegs..

what ya reckon ?

yea man this ain't a "live" set it is a MASHUP as long as you are not making money or taking credit for anyone's work with this i don't see any moral dilemma

System 47
25-05-2009, 06:01 PM
hey mita, its me :)

cheers for the feedback chaps. i think 'mashup' is maybe the wrong label, but i see wha your gettin at :)

Igneous
26-05-2009, 12:06 PM
as long as you are not making money or taking credit for anyone's work with this i don't see any moral dilemma
+1

278d7e64a374de26f==