PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7

curly
05-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Microsoft have made windows 7 RC1 available as a free download to anyone signed up to the tech net service (it's fee).

I'm running it ATM, as was wondering if anyone else on here is and what you all think of it, Ill post my thoughts in a few days when i have had a chance to give it a proper test.

TechMouse
07-06-2009, 12:11 PM
It looks encouraging. If I had a spare PC kicking around I'd install it for a test run.

All the reports I've read suggest it's a massive improvement over Vista.

curly
07-06-2009, 12:38 PM
I have major issues with me sound card drivers, although windows 7 will run using vista drivers, the install software for my drivers(a Tascam us224) checks the version of the OS before installing. I have managed to install the (get ready to laugh) 98 drivers, to a varying degree of success, only the anso drivers work, so i can only use it in music software that allows me to select the drivers, so i have to use the on-board sound for other applications (media player IE etc), the old anso drivers are not stable and have given me a few blue screens of death.

on the positive side my machine(a Dell xps 420) now runs a bucket load quicker than it ever did under vista, the GUI is much better, the task bar is greatly improved and now acts more the the mac osx one. There are library folders that now link directory's together in one handy place.

I would say it is worth the test drive, but check your drivers first.

p.s very long shot this but if anyone knows where i can get vista drivers for a us 224 that don't check the OS version on install it would be greatly appreciated.

ORIS
27-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Been using the beta for a while now and I'm very impressed. It's alot quicker than Vista, and more stable imo.

I was quite lucky as my sound card drivers worked perfectly! :)

Elvio Neto
29-06-2009, 12:30 AM
if you guys use 32 bits operating systems , windows XP SP3 is the best so far , if you use 64 bits operating systems (like me) windows 7 will be the best ever ;)

im using windows 7 since january and works great , windows update search all your hardware and download/install all the last drivers , this windows is a must!

BloodStar
29-06-2009, 10:27 AM
i would still suggest to wait... no needs to rush as several hotfixes will be released very soon, tho...

Chis
18-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Win 7 RC 64-bit here, a Q6600 with an Intel G31 chipset and 4GB RAM. It flies. Ableton is fairly solid, as are the drivers for my Phase 22 soundcard (really want to change this for an Audiofire though). Ableton has one issue though, with 7.0.16 at least the GUI has trouble updating - priority issues I think. I don't get glitchy audio, but the GUI is certainly less smooth than under XP. Responsive, but a low frame rate.

278d7e64a374de26f==