PDA

View Full Version : Deviant - 'Dark Horizon' (test 1)

Little_Fella!
10-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Wondered where the hell I was there, having not been on for a while ... :mmm:

Well finally I've got my exams out the way and have some time to make some music thank the lawd...

This one is a bit wierd structurally so not sure maself yet...

'Dark Horizon (http://www.mediafire.com/?udeod1zjfl1)' - as Deviant

Feedback on content and production most welcome as this is the first pass - - and I will now have some time to listen to other folks ditties, which I'm looking forward to :cool:

Siege
10-06-2009, 01:30 PM
downloading now Ben

curly
11-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Nice moody dark track here Ben.

Hope your exams all went well. Good to hear you have more time for music now.

All works well. Not a lot I'm able to comment on but I'm going to try as you put a lot of effort into reviewing everyone else's tracks.

Your Kick and sub sit well together, During the intro I'm unsure if that hat pattern works, it works later on in the track when it has other elements to play off, but not sure if that is the case while the track is so sparse.

I like the synth you bring in at 2:06 and feel that it would work if you brought it in earlier.

Anyway i like this track so it's going on me iPod.

Barely Human
12-06-2009, 09:36 AM
I quite like this. Got a dark feel to the track which works well with the filtered bass. I feel it possibly could do with some more rythymic percussion or something, but thats probably just more my taste. Cant really comment on the production too much as im using cheap headphones, but it all seams to be there in the correct quanties.

Good work :smile:

BloodStar
12-06-2009, 04:51 PM
nice dark tune, ben.
creepy atmo with funky groove,. i like those little soudns here and there. would love to hear it on big rig in some strange abandonned place, haha. deadly.
production sounds good i must say. trying to find some sounds i dont like, but everything fits there nicely. maybe you could add more percs to give it more drive, or some clanking loops here and there would be sweet, aswel.
also, not too keen on that ride which is playing from the beginning, but thats the only thing, hehe.

good work!

Little_Fella!
13-06-2009, 01:55 AM
nice dark tune, ben.
maybe you could add more percs to give it more drive, or some clanking loops here and there would be sweet, aswel.

also, not too keen on that ride which is playing from the beginning, but thats the only thing, hehe.

good work!

NOT TOO KEEN!! ... I'll have you know I LOVE that ride maaaaan.. :briggin:

Heh.. nice to hear from ya charver - will definitely look at areas in the mix for a bit more percussion perhaps so cheers for that

@ Curly : yeah i'll have a look at the hat pattern as your right - i wanted something that wasn't run of the mill, which then creates a fine balance between working with the groove and not - i've done a re-edit but didn't get time to address this so will do on the next look...

@ Barely Human : Will have a look at the percussion elements for room to create a bit more rythm, but I'm not sure as to the where yet... so yeah cheers for the pointer :cool:

Cheers chaps... :cool:

Little_Fella!
13-06-2009, 02:09 AM
Anyways... here is the second pass on this in which I have worked on the lead sound to give it more prescence, including more variation and balanced it with the synth riff ... umm

stereo imaged the ride, which is mono so i couldn't stereo-widen it, by using a stereo-pan but modulated so that it sounds stable n not swinging from side to side...

put air into percussion loop and brightened up the reverb so that it balances the mix when the ride isn't there as this had too low a ceiling... and tightened the mix up slightly to make it a bit more tidy... I hope it works! :cheese:

'Dark Horizon' (http://www.mediafire.com/?0nyqdyzjhoj) (test 2)

DannyBlack
15-06-2009, 04:30 PM
theres some nice creature sounding sounds in this. i like it. i lve that heart beat bass- this track reminds me of lizards. top work.

ORIS
16-06-2009, 12:28 AM
This is right up my street mate, dark, funky, intelligent, lock stock the ****ing LOT!!

Safe.

Little_Fella!
17-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Thank you Danny and Oris as your encouragement is much appreciated... :)

I worked hard on getting the lead sound that has those creature elements to sound right and varied enough, so am glad that it works...

Cheers for the thumbs up chaps! :cool:

278d7e64a374de26f==