PDA

View Full Version : Curly - S2

curly
15-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Something i wrote the other day.

I have no imagination hence the track name.

Let me know what you think.

http://213.129.73.14/users_audio/15722/DT_ACF1AC040585849.mp3

vinvanman
15-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Awesome track curly, a real tight pounder, i love the way it changes as the intensity levels go up until you get to the darkness of the fu/ked up vocal sample..... ace! the production sounds good, it all seems to sit well. good work!

DannyBlack
15-06-2009, 09:47 PM
NIce nice nice. Lovelly rippling bass line. proper chunky work. Cant comment on production as me speakers are wank. but **** yeah, nice work.

ORIS
16-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Nice job Curly!!!! Imo, it's your best track to date. Can't really give you any tips on production because I've only listen through laptop speakers (I KNOW :( )

But the ideas and progression are dope!

R|E|S|P|E|C|T

:)

curly
16-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Thanks guys for all your kind words. It feels good to be moving in the right direction atlast. I Just need to keep working at it now.

Little_Fella!
17-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Nice work here... very nasty shock tactics going on (ulp!) :;

Rippling bass as mentioned is good and that clanking element which comes in at 1:46 is very complementary to the tune with a nice riff and the resonance is good (although it is a little loud in the mix so bring this down and use some verb to soften it slightly)

Love the 2:29 break down .. very nice indeedy - reckon it could have been worked for a good four bars longer to be honest (!) make more of a feature and give the tune better structure overall .. and also the second break could be worked harder as that ripple bass makes the tune so we wanna hear it on it's own (! lol )... like the filter work too :)

As you have a suitably harsh top end with those hats there is some harsh frequencies coming thro which occur at 16k which you must use a parametric EQ over your master channel, with Q ratio 25 and take it all out to the max db that you can take off... on a rig this will be painfull after a very short while

I understand that you have used a kick that is synonymous with this type of sound but the verb tends to weaken the strength of the kick .. I would try something punchy with a good but of sub as this will complement your ripple bass as long as you side chain a compressor on the bass to a separate kick with the volume turned down...

Definite progress here so don't worry if I seem to always be pointing out what's 'wrong' .. it's just once you get to grips with one element of production there is always another one waiting! :briggin:

curly
17-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks Ben for taking the time to listen and give such full feedback again. I know i have a lot to learn and am grateful of any advice that you give.

I already have the bass side chained, but from you comments I reckon that I need to go back and look at how i have the compressor set up. I have just isolated my speakers from my desk and I now have much more clarity and less boomeyness, My main problem with this before was my desk was resonating with the bass making it unclear. After hearing a set of monitor setup how they should sound I decided it was time I sorted mine out.

Ill have a go tomorrow with you suggestions, I have the day of work :-)

As to not worrying about you pointing out whats wrong, I Don't worry , I actually look forward to reading your comments I learn something every time.

Jay Pace
18-06-2009, 12:30 AM
Good work this. Well stuctured, progresses well, nice use of FX and the mix sounds balanced.

The metallic thingie could change patterns a bit. The whole track sounds solid but its a bit static i places. Needs some subtle changes, maybe some rhythmic changes or tonal changes to make it seem a bit less repetitive.

Good work dude.

acidsaturation
28-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Very Nice! It did come across as a bit boomy and sudden and had me reaching for the volume though - but then that could totally be a frequency my room doesn't like, or a similar problem with monitors and desks (which I do suspect I have). Certainly spooky! Do agree a bit about the clanging noise, it works nicely, but maybe a few more subtle variations.

curly
22-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Though I would try to bring this forum back to life a bit

I updated this track a few weeks ago but never uploaded it.

http://213.129.73.14/users_audio/15722/DT_ACF1AC040585849.mp3

278d7e64a374de26f==