PDA

View Full Version : Question.

DannyBlack
17-06-2009, 03:24 PM
How many of you guys would use loops from packs etc? Meaning stuff that isn't your own?

josephjobling
17-06-2009, 03:51 PM
i try not to - have been trying tp persued my mate who uses them in every track to stop doing it.
I think make your own loops. mind you my stuff still sound amitureish and when i do use loops it sound more well done but i like to make my own stuff

DannyBlack
17-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Yeah I'm the same, I just don't feel right using loops.

force
17-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Well, in Ableton, you can be creative as **** with any loops.

As long as you produce something with integrity.

Saying that, i have to agree that making your own is very satisfying...

josephjobling
17-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Yeah I'm the same, I just don't feel right using loops.

Yep - i will feel better about it when my tracks start sounding better .........

Jay Pace
17-06-2009, 08:42 PM
I like using loops

Usually to add something I hadn't thought off... some weird stereo rhythmic effect, or a texture. Plus you can always bend a loop, chop it up, pile on FX and mould it to your will. Not like you have to have it sitting on its own, being flagrantly not yours.

Plus I only know how to make a limited number of noises, and have limited production ability so its nice to use other people's efforts to make my own work sound better.

i also get bored quickly, and if I didn't have loops to play about with I think I'd just give up on stuff through lack of interest. Sometimes I make something and just get a nagging sense of something being missing, then I cycle through a zillion percussion loops and find something that perfectly complements - like the missing piece I didn't realise I was missing.

Also good for when you run out of inspiration, and need a helping hand.

So thumbs up for me.

curly
17-06-2009, 09:13 PM
I find that if i run out of inspiration trying a few loops will get me going again, Often trying to copy the loop, I might not get mine to sound as good as the original, but i usually learn something along the way. and I also use them Distorted up quite a bit, but I usually cut loops out of other tunes for this.

Loops defiantly have a use for me, but yes i would be happier if i didn't need to use them, maybe one day when i grow up........

DannyBlack
18-06-2009, 03:09 PM
I have a bunch of loops somewhere on my PC, I like to listen to them over and over to see if I can replicate them. I think because im only just begining to make music that if I start using loops I will rely on them too heavily. I guess once I get more established I can try to use them.

MARK ANXIOUS
18-06-2009, 03:23 PM
It's kinda ridiculous to me when people say that using loops isnt being creative. sure, it is if you just bang one over the top of a kick and then that loop becomes the focus of your whole track but there's so many ways you can use a loop creatively and make it 'your own'. i just love using machine loops in ableton's sampler and then just drawing in one trigger midi note and finding a good point in the loop to make a really unique stab sound. distort the shit out of a complete loop, put a gate on it, run it though an echo delay with a little flange on it for constantly changing rhythms. even use ableton's new groove templates feature and give loops a new shuffle to fit with others.

at the end of the day, any old sod can use a preset. whether that's a preset synth sound or preset loop from a sample CD. it's all the same to me. just get creative and use all the tools at your disposal imho :)

DannyBlack
18-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Cool. Some good responses here. Heres just a silly idea and one which may benefit us all- If I throw up a loop, we all have a go at it and post the result?

Would any one be up for it? Not a whole track, just loop manipulation.

victorjohn
18-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Its ALL good IMO. Some of the best tracks ever were made using obvious loops and samples. Stuff on Recycled Loops, some killer tracks there, come right to mind. Also numerous releases on Primeval and Primate, Ben Sims stuff. A lot of great stuff comes from chopping up loops and going nuts.

I enjoy the odd premade riff here and there... of course what I love to do then is mangle the piss out of it. :biggrin:

josephjobling
18-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Cool. Some good responses here. Heres just a silly idea and one which may benefit us all- If I throw up a loop, we all have a go at it and post the result?

i'd give it a go.

curly
19-06-2009, 12:32 AM

count me in

DannyBlack
19-06-2009, 01:33 AM
cool. heres one i prepared earlier.

http://rapidshare.com/files/246105732/loop2RTC.wav

josephjobling
19-06-2009, 02:38 PM
nice one will give it a shot - see what i can do.

fils_here
19-06-2009, 03:23 PM
cool. heres one i prepared earlier.

http://rapidshare.com/files/246105732/loop2RTC.wav

i'll have a shot at this, cheerz danny :wink:

DannyBlack
19-06-2009, 04:04 PM
No worries, have fun fellas! I knock something up later too.

josephjobling
19-06-2009, 05:25 PM
No worries, have fun fellas! I knock something up later too.

can'y wait to here what you do - i have had a crack with your loop and transformed it - whats the best way to up load it so you can hasve a listen.

DannyBlack
19-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Throw it up onto Rapidshare mate.

www.rapidshare.com

josephjobling
19-06-2009, 05:47 PM
there you go - i think i might have changed my mind on loops - cheers took a different approach today thanks to this thread........

http://rapidshare.com/files/246341085/dannyblack_challange1.wav.html

DannyBlack
19-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Nice one matey, downloading now.

Edit:

That is class! You really took the loop and made something completely different. proper creepy.

josephjobling
19-06-2009, 05:58 PM
cheers man - thanks for inspiring..........

DannyBlack
19-06-2009, 06:01 PM
:-) I'll give you the rest of the loops to that track later if you want mate?

josephjobling
19-06-2009, 06:04 PM
no worries that would be sweet cheers.

DannyBlack
19-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Excellent, I'll upload them later. good work. can't wait to hear what the lads do too. Might throw it all into ableton mix it all up a bit if everyone agrees.

josephjobling
19-06-2009, 06:19 PM
i deffo agree - mix away - i hope more people have a go - get some more versions of peoples loops see if you can make a tune with them. would be interesting.

DannyBlack
19-06-2009, 06:22 PM
It's a good learning process I think. When I don't understand something, the only way I learn personally, is to see exactly how other people do it- and play off that.

The_Laughing_Man
19-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Loops?
Loops are ok for a quick fix, but I prefer my own sound design now.
Samples in general I tend to use hardly at all.
Not out of snobbery but when you craft sounds via synthesis you simply have more control over every aspect of the sound, whereas with a sample you have to work with the spectral nature of that sample, and no matter how many effects you pile onto it, there are some things you simply won`t be able to change about the nature of the sound.

And of course repitching a sample or loop brings it`s own problems.

I don`t know, all the best techno I hear is down to the sound design, the work that has gone into the construction of the sounds, rather than treated samples.

Not that samples are redundant to me, but you can definitely add more control, dynamic and originality to your mixes by constructing your own sounds via some form of synthesis.

josephjobling
19-06-2009, 07:03 PM
It's a good learning process I think. When I don't understand something, the only way I learn personally, is to see exactly how other people do it- and play off that.

true - i have learned some new things today.

DannyBlack
19-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Loops?
Loops are ok for a quick fix, but I prefer my own sound design now.
Samples in general I tend to use hardly at all.
Not out of snobbery but when you craft sounds via synthesis you simply have more control over every aspect of the sound, whereas with a sample you have to work with the spectral nature of that sample, and no matter how many effects you pile onto it, there are some things you simply won`t be able to change about the nature of the sound.

And of course repitching a sample or loop brings it`s own problems.

I don`t know, all the best techno I hear is down to the sound design, the work that has gone into the construction of the sounds, rather than treated samples.

Not that samples are redundant to me, but you can definitely add more control, dynamic and originality to your mixes by constructing your own sounds via some form of synthesis.

I do like to use samples I have to say. I think creating everything from synthesis is my next stage.

Why not give the loop thing a stab for the craic Steve?

curly
19-06-2009, 07:40 PM
downloading them loops now,

Where have the elements come from Danny, synths or samples, because I am also going to try and recreate your loop as well, this is something I am starting to do more often, Makes me think about sounds in more depth, I don't always get the same result, sometimes not even that close but I usually learn something from the process..

@Joephjobling Nice one, you have just inspired me to get a bit more creative than i normally do.

josephjobling
19-06-2009, 07:47 PM
@Joephjobling Nice one, you have just inspired me to get a bit more creative than i normally do.

no worries - passing the inspiration on - all good

DannyBlack
19-06-2009, 07:53 PM
downloading them loops now,

Where have the elements come from Danny, synths or samples, because I am also going to try and recreate your loop as well, this is something I am starting to do more often, Makes me think about sounds in more depth, I don't always get the same result, sometimes not even that close but I usually learn something from the process..

Its made from a really crappy drum machine- closed hats, and a really thin sounding bongo that I pushed through a crusher [Camel Crusher i think] and wave shaper and then a touch of verb.

The_Laughing_Man
19-06-2009, 09:48 PM
I do like to use samples I have to say. I think creating everything from synthesis is my next stage.

Why not give the loop thing a stab for the craic Steve?

I did I think when curly came round.
I was showing him some techniques for making hard techno.

curly
20-06-2009, 12:30 AM
Well my mangling of Danny's loops, a couple of sub lines and some atmospheric thingey.

maybe more tomorrow.

http://rapidshare.com/files/246455278/Dannys_mangled_loop.zip.html

DannyBlack
20-06-2009, 02:17 AM
nice nice nice. love the atmosphere mate.

heres my use of the loop in a breaky type context i guess.
http://rapidshare.com/files/246479946/dannyloopuse.wav

josephjobling
20-06-2009, 11:32 AM
nice work curly thats sweet - danny couldn't download yours - keeps coming up with an error.

DannyBlack
20-06-2009, 12:04 PM
hmmmm il try and re up it.

DannyBlack
20-06-2009, 12:06 PM
there we go:
http://rapidshare.com/files/246604722/dannyloopuse.wav

acidsaturation
20-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Loops and samples are a tool, as is synthesis. A bit of both suits me just fine.

josephjobling
20-06-2009, 03:18 PM
there we go:
http://rapidshare.com/files/246604722/dannyloopuse.wav

cheers - will give it a listen later - at work now (gutted:( )

force
20-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Even though im nearly dead, ive managed to rustle this up...

http://rapidshare.com/files/246669147/Danny_loop_mash_-_force_effort.wav.html

off to die now..

DannyBlack
20-06-2009, 05:24 PM
thats class man, proper mangulation!

curly
20-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Nice one mr Force, good to see diffrent peoples takes on the one loop. Just on headphones atm, will listen properly when the neighbours are not sleeping.

DannyBlack
22-06-2009, 11:55 AM
So how bout we turn things up a notch? every one want to do a full track of this loop?

[Just to add, the loop was a donation so no copy right infringements ye have to worry about- just one loop and a few variations.]

josephjobling
22-06-2009, 12:06 PM
sounds sweet - fancy donating me a progressive synth line to go with it - i always strugle with those.

DannyBlack
22-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Yeah of course man, I'll see if I had one that went along with it, if not I'l make something.

josephjobling
22-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Yeah of course man, I'll see if I had one that went along with it, if not I'l make something.

cheers man.

DannyBlack
23-06-2009, 08:19 AM
I crashed out last night so I didn't get anything done at all. I should have something up in a couple of days for shits and giggles. :-)

josephjobling
23-06-2009, 10:21 AM
I crashed out last night so I didn't get anything done at all. I should have something up in a couple of days for shits and giggles. :-)

no worries man - hope you had a good birthday - your up early, no hangover.

278d7e64a374de26f==