PDA

View Full Version : How did you first get into techno?

SlavikSvensk
18-06-2009, 05:57 PM
for me, it started with acid house and ambient, but these were always secondary interests to indie rock. then the radio station i interned for switched formats from "alternative" to "urban." the interns and djs got to take anything they wanted home from the old collection. among other things, i picked up pastkman's "sheet one" album. it blew my mind away. a year later i moved to michigan, and was exposed to the detroit scene. at that time, detroit parties were almost all techno, with some chicago house and booty bass sets thrown in. changed my musical life.

force
18-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Energy Flash...

Simple as that really.
Used to listen to Colin Dale and Colin favor on kiss as well...

Then it was onto megadogs and the squat party scene around the time of the M11 link road being built.
Bloody good (messy) times they were..

But it was Energy Flash that said to me ' Right, you're gonna try and make techno from now on matey..

-LETHAL-ONE-
18-06-2009, 06:56 PM
In the early 90's i was into doing graffiti with some older cats. They were the ones responsible for getting me into techno. Every time we hung out we would have mix tapes playing with some of the guys break dancing and pop locking. Good times!!!

xes
18-06-2009, 07:06 PM
I was detained in guintanimo bay, they used it as a form or torture on me. It kind of grows on you after a while. :)

(heard about raves, thought it sounded like fun. It was.)

DannyBlack
18-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Thats cool, so you got to see it right when it was booming.

This is my way in.

I was a Grunge kid that turned into a Punk teenager. My friends all listened to Dreamscape and Thunderdome stuff- I listened to it but never really paid much attention.
Fast forward to me at 21- bored to death with my musical choices was introduced to Dave Clarke World service 1 whilst eating some speckled lovelies.

The next day I bought Carl Cox' Fact 1 and other stuff. I saw Dereck Carter in the forum and then UMEK etc etc. Started to bloody love this music, so I saved a little cash and bought a set of belt drive Kams. Filthmonger used to call around every saturday for a day of mixing and smoking and the rest is history.

Techno is beautiful.

drift9
18-06-2009, 07:20 PM
http://www.mixside.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/plastikman-sheet-one.jpg

xes
18-06-2009, 08:08 PM
mmmmmmmm acid techno *drools*

That's one side of techno that I've never gotten tired of. F*cking love the stuff. 303s give me a big stonking hardon.

-LETHAL-ONE-
18-06-2009, 08:11 PM
mmmmmmmm acid techno *drools*

That's one side of techno that I've never gotten tired of. F*cking love the stuff. 303s give me a big stonking hardon.

+1. HELL YEA!!!!! :angry:

tonyc2002
18-06-2009, 08:18 PM
My mate let me borrow a DJ Vibes tape from Dreamscape 14 in school and then over the years I started listening to hardcore and then the techno tape packs....

He then got some decks and started buying loads of trance and techno which I got to listen too and have a little mix with from time to time.

Basically, its my mates fault :lol:

DJ Asylum
18-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Not really into techno in a big way as such, but it was Carl Cox & F.A.C.T. that moved me away from hardcore. The tracks on it just blew me away!

Izz
18-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Could take or leave techno until I first went to the Orbit in Morley. The atmosphere and energy of the sounds just sucked me right in.

Never looked back.

snooch
18-06-2009, 09:31 PM
I was into ebm in the early 90s and was open to most things electronic. A friend invited me to a rave. I had heard of raves but this was '91 and raves were just starting to get big in the states. I was bored by most of the music (trance and house) but when Adam X played, I was hooked(plus the acid started to work). I was hooked. I checked out some more techno after that and was thrilled. The next techno jock I saw was T-1000. I bought tables and records the next day after seeing him wreck shit. The rest is history.

Jay Pace
18-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Seeing jeff mills at the lighthouse sometime in the late 90s clinched it.
Just a perfect combo of crowd, venue, soundsystem and music.

morbid
18-06-2009, 10:52 PM
stu allen on key 103 radio when I lived up north, early 90's was the start of it - not really techno as such but a lot of old acid stuff, was only 11 or 12 and not really into music but had never heard anything like it - blew my mind though didnt even understand it, just liked the repetition.

then ratty, mickey finn, tanith, clarkee etc

then dreamscapes and helter skelters, drome and the country club

then squats and outdoors

but yeah Sheet One had quite a big part in it all

The Overfiend
19-06-2009, 12:26 AM
Was clubbin heavy in NYC with Cm and RFC
Started hittin the Storm Raves and Limelight and that was that.
Techno... the first time I heard Laidback Luke Act The Fool
That was it lights out game over.

The_Laughing_Man
19-06-2009, 01:59 AM
When I was in my late 0`s and early teens I was into breakdance, and used to go out down town with a gang of us that used to go breaking with a bit of lino and a boom box.
We used to buy our music for breakin in this big market in town. There was a proper B-Boy stall, sold vinyl, some clothes and we bought cassettes from there for our breakdance needs.
I bought this one tape that we all just went nuts over. It was 100 times more jackin than any other tapes anyone had.
It was just a C90 cassette, with a very basic inlay, obviously independantly produced, and it was just 45 mins a side of nothing but raw 909 and 808 beats straight out the machines.
I was hooked on electronic beats from then on.

Numeric
19-06-2009, 08:29 AM
i was exposed to 'jungle techno' at the age of twelve, around '92

started listening to hardcore and also developed a love for house, techno, and drum n bass

laurent garnier's laboratoire mix and carl cox's f.a.c.t album were early faves

DarkYoung
19-06-2009, 09:13 AM
i was exposed to 'jungle techno' at the age of twelve, around '92

exposed? sounds like you were the victim of something dodgy.

dan the acid man
19-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Heard the late, great John Peel play a Ritchie Hawtin track and i've been in love with it ever since.

DarkYoung
19-06-2009, 09:24 AM
been obsessed with it since human resources/beltram/frank de wulf's the tape especially.

terious
19-06-2009, 10:15 AM
listening to it through a nice function 1 rig......... :hissyfit:

djfilthmonger
19-06-2009, 10:38 AM
all the cool kids were doing.. now they listen to hip hop sad bstards ha ha!

but seriously id started listening to hardhouse when i was about 16 r 17 for about 3 months then I heard techno and got loan of an Adam Beyer CD , Billy Nasty torture Chamber and Chris Liberator CL01 and then a speedy J loudboxer cd and that was that.

djfilthmonger
19-06-2009, 10:40 AM
. Filthmonger used to call around every saturday for a day of mixing and smoking and the rest is history.

Techno is beautiful.

Banging out the choons and recording on to a tape. I cant believe we learned to play decks on belt drives. I cud never use them again ha ha! How did we keep a mix going?

basslinejunkie
19-06-2009, 11:10 AM
same path as alot, loved hardcore techno,then hard trance then techno when i was about 16. loved it ever since.

MITA
19-06-2009, 11:42 AM
i aint tellin' you :)

Si the Sigh
19-06-2009, 11:50 AM
2 Unlimited...

Nah, not really. Pawlett Manor, Country Club, Free Partys, etc.

Woksaus
19-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Good question... I think it was a set from Mauro Picotto at Sensation Black 2002 that made me interested.

morbid
19-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Pawlett Manor, Country Club,

hear me now!!!!!!!!!!!

curly
20-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Hmmm... not sure really what to credit with my love of techno. May be Colin Dale and Colin Favor on kiss, when i was 15, or was it 5 years later when finally went to my first techno party, got off it, rest is history.

Nukie
20-06-2009, 02:25 AM
In my mothers womb

The end.

markandrew
20-06-2009, 07:35 AM
depeche mode and 808 state then moved into the rave/hardcore and colin dale colin favor tape pack sealed it in 93:smile:

c0luM~R
20-06-2009, 10:21 AM
friends were into it. Sets being played at sessions :D

acidsaturation
20-06-2009, 02:02 PM
My boss at the time too me to a DIY soundsystem night in Sheffield, fed me lots of pills... At the same time quite a few of the 'crusty' lot in Leeds were getting into Megadog, and Templehead (which started as a Megadog afterparty, but then moved quite heavily towards acid techno). So really it was via the hippy trance route... I always liked the harder stuff though, and it kind of went from there....

joker
20-06-2009, 06:39 PM
I started off listening to rave - happy hardcore, or oldschool as its now classed. Then got into buying the tape packs from events and started listen to artists like trevor rockliffe producer ribbz t23 alex hazard colin dale colin favour and i was hooked. I started to buy acid techno but never used to really dig the 303 riffs, i just used to love the 135 140 bpm tempo. I soon ****ed acid off when i discovered the swedish mob. That was about 8 years ago.

I ****ing love techno

Cheers!

The Overfiend
21-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Also I would be fronting if I didn't mention these

2 Unlimited Jump For Joy (Armand Van Helden Remix)
Cajual/Relief Records made it such an easy transition to geth into techno when djing house.

tekara
22-06-2009, 06:21 PM
hiphop for most of my life until 1997. Then a lot of the hiphop music i was into started to become more and more rare as the new generation of artists started to take over the industry.

Felt the need to change my taste and expand my horizons. My friend took me to a party in 1996 and he told me some great DJ called "Luke Slater" was going to be playing. The party changed my life in musical ways I would of never believed.

TechMouse
22-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Used to be into Metal and Alternative Rock.

Got into industrial / crossover stuff like Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, Pitchshifter, Filter, Front Line Assembly etc.

From there started listening to electronica like Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Autechre.

Then there were the big mid-to-late-90s dance acts like Underworld, Leftfield, Chemical Brothers, and the whole Big Beat thing.

Went to university in 99/2000, started going raving.

Really liked progressive house and breaks first off. Then started going to the odd techno night. Started learning how to DJ and my friends had loads of everything except techno, so I started buying lots of that. Got more and more obsessed with it, and there you go.

davethedrummer
23-06-2009, 04:35 PM
never really got the acid house thing
cos I was into bands and festivals at the time.
the jungle / hardcore breaks thing never did it for me
I hated all the chipmunk vocals

got into orbital and underworld first really ( I was a bit behind )
and the old react compilations ( energy flash was on one )
aphex twins ambient works, loved that, and sun electric and things like that more ambient really
then harthouse and hardfloor and german stuff came along
then I found colin favor and colin dale with more underground stuff on the radio
jeff mills waveform transmissions and belgium rave stuff etc etc ....
and I was always a fan of John Peel so his show was always fun.

all a bit arse about face really
but I got there in the end

Fusion
23-06-2009, 06:08 PM
KMFDM - What Do You Know, Deutschland?

clubsynthetic
19-07-2009, 01:16 AM
Dogma, closer to the edit, speedy j, Extasy, adam beyer, and mates into it

a X cell
19-07-2009, 01:32 AM
It's a pretty long story.
Well, when I first started to listen to electronic Music, I got into trance. Then, all of a sudden, I went into club house because I was living in country, away from any other form of decent electronic music. I started to go rave at 16 y/o and caught the Electro wave heading the way to Canada.

Then, I spun tech-house like Sebastien Leger, Booka Shade and generic stuff like this. Then, when I saw everyone was mixing stuff like me, I went into Tribal House. 3-4 months later, I got interested into Tribal Tech stuff like Carl Falk and Subcult record but then I was still mixing Tribal House.
And then I talked with a friend whom saw the beginning of the rave parties in Quebec city and told me : "Hey, you're good with Techno when you insert some tracks in your sets....why don't you spin it?"

And that's when I started being in love with Techno. Peer pressure loving haha

Luke_C
19-07-2009, 06:09 PM
I was making tehno before i even knew anything about the scene, got into techno when i bought Fuse Presents Dave Clarke and a Carl Cox mix cd i can't remember the name of it, had two disks a blue one and a red one.

TomUrwin
20-07-2009, 10:09 AM
My friends dad used to go when I was about 15, after much hassling we got him to take us and have never looked back!

Was always into acid techno from the start, although went off on hard house buzz for a couple of years, but now its all about the techno :)

Insomnia
24-07-2009, 01:38 AM
Illegal raves up a barn in the middle of knowhere, started getting out of hand though, folk from all round Scotland were hearing about it on the radio etc and it weren't long till the Police brought an end to it! :hissyfit:

After that it was the Rez for me and still go to events these days! :tongue:

Patrick DSP
25-07-2009, 06:13 AM
i'm a bit tipsy rith now so dont' mind my rambling but i've always been around electronic type music. from having parents listening to drumming from middle-eastern songs to older siblings who were into dance beats. but i'd say my defining moment that opened my eyes to electronic beats and sound manipulations was back in '89 with razormaid and on-u sound bootleg/megamixes of depeche mode. particularly one remix. razormaid's remix of sea of sin by depeche mode. it combined sea of sin with enya's orcano flow. it really blew my mind how two totally different songs fit so well with each other.

it really made me want to explore the concepts of mixing and sound manipulation and how they managed to accomplish it (this was before modern day computers and ableton of course), the rest is history i guess. but that's what first got me into remixes, and eventually techno.

here's mud in your eye! cheers,
-p.

teknonotice
25-07-2009, 10:31 AM
somewhere around my 17th birthday at a Club called Loco, (little sister club of Lakota at the time) and a techno night called Shimmy. Bless those folk and especially Simmer and Stuart..

Steve Analog
05-08-2009, 05:45 PM
it was industrial sounds that lured my ear. then '90 in serbia listening to house and some bloke thought i was havin a seizure when i started breakin' to snap...

came back to canada a changed man. now, after all these years i'm sequencing again. i have all the patience. now i wanna write the future.

speed-it-up
22-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Could take or leave techno until I first went to the Orbit in Morley. The atmosphere and energy of the sounds just sucked me right in.

Never looked back.

Same. Was into hardcore/rave early 90's

Saw Claude Young & Colin Dale kicking the shit out of Morley, then started going there every month and buying techno records.

teknorich
23-09-2009, 05:26 PM
My brothers/sisters all listened to indie and rock/pop when I was growing up, and I liked electronic sounds. I had no-one to learn from, so ended up with the obvious chart stuff like 2 Unlimited, Capella etc, then a bit faster with Westbam (Wizards of the Sonic - lovely tune!!) and Van Basten, then into happy hardcore/old skool hardcore, then happy gabba, then darker gabba. Got into Hardcore techno, and then Speedcore and kind of hit a brick wall. For years I'd been getting faster and harder all the time, but then finally started to get a bit bored of speedcore and I'd reached the end of the faster/harder spectrum so couldn't just continue that path any more.

Came across a Techno mix cd in a music shop and listened to it out of curiosity. It was Jeff Mills Liquid Room Tokyo mix, and it blew my mind. Starts so weird and eerie, and then the fat heavy drums kick in and it just goes off. It was a h*ll of a lot slower than what I had been listening to at the time, and I had always imagined that 140BPM techno would sound weak and wussy compared to 220+BPM hardcore, but it really didn't! Bought the CD there and then, and within the next week I'd bought Dave Clarke's FUSE mix cd, Richie Hawtin - Dex EFX and 909, and also DE:9 Closer to the edit.
That was me converted!!! :biggrin:

Jants
17-10-2009, 04:47 PM
i was into metal and rock when me mate got me listening to trance we then started raving every week till i heard musik with a kik that nearlly made my teeth fall out i was told thats techno great !!!

MARK ANXIOUS
20-10-2009, 11:36 PM
well for me i grew up as a small kid in the late 70's/early 80's liking commercial human league, OMD etc and futuristic synthy music... which went on to discovering electro in the early 80's, then hearing juan atkins cybotron. that led me to following everything he did with a passion, so i discovered chicago house (through compilation albums that featured him like Streetsounds stuff, Jack Trax etc) and then .. TECHNO! and then finding out about derrick may, transmat etc etc. from there it was no looking back.. new york, joey beltram, then belgium etc. what an insane journey it's been :)

gunjack
21-10-2009, 10:39 AM
i inveted it.

force
21-10-2009, 10:54 AM
i inveted it.

You cant spell.

;)

gunjack
21-10-2009, 11:18 AM
damNed "n" button, he is a slippery son of a gun

...Dave...