PDA

View Full Version : Favorite techno 'sound?'

SlavikSvensk
01-07-2009, 06:39 PM
of all time. can be as broad as 'hard techno' or as specific as 'swedish melodic hard techno from 1996-1999.'

...and why?

The_Laughing_Man
01-07-2009, 07:01 PM
The one that goes donk--onnnggggg----jafizzzzzzzzzz----KANG!!!!

drift9
01-07-2009, 07:16 PM
or boom-shiga-boom-shiga-boom-shiga-boom-shiga

but no, i can't really say i have an ABSOLUTE favorite style of techno. i think that's what has helped me stay into techno for so long. it's so versatile and covers such a range of sound. truly one of its greater strengths.

that said, i have a definite leaning towards the harder side of things ie mooy, the advent, concrete djz, pat dsp, roddell, etc.

DannyBlack
01-07-2009, 08:54 PM
hmmm.. tough one. I guess- Primate, Jericho, Pain-esq type techno circa 00-06.

MITA
01-07-2009, 08:55 PM
uoka jero che is my thingy
: D

eppertheleper
01-07-2009, 10:18 PM
This sound is one of my favorite warehouse types of sounds, both the hard, off rhythm 'chonk' and the beepy sirens on top:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ggGfWb-QLw

And the rubber bandish sound in this one always fascinated me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_eAmRsqeoQ

For both bass kick and a haunting whistling/horn sound, you can't beat this classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYKjolWTGcI

Or maybe I didn't understand the assignment.

MARK ANXIOUS
02-07-2009, 12:54 AM
fave techno era?

easy 1983-1988 may, baxter, saunderson.

but let's be honest. it all matters eh. magnetic north, primate, direct drive, axis, plus 8....

who cares about the time. if you like only one techno era or sound, then you don't understand techno imho.

MARK ANXIOUS
02-07-2009, 12:58 AM
ps eppertheleper i totally agree with you about IF. did you get all the early bunker stuff? 808 distorted heaven. man :)

also that rubber band defo made that LFO track. it's insane how it is there from the off and just a whole loads of filters and subtle changes, plus that wicked break, keep you locked in right until the end. full marks eh ;)

Technologic
02-07-2009, 01:48 AM
or boom-shiga-boom-shiga-boom-shiga-boom-shiga

but no, i can't really say i have an ABSOLUTE favorite style of techno. i think that's what has helped me stay into techno for so long. it's so versatile and covers such a range of sound. truly one of its greater strengths.

This.

djfilthmonger
02-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Whomptie whomptie rikka tika tika tsss...
I like that really driving hard and fast techno . like dave the drummer, chris liberator etc. for example AP - Outta control , SUF - bored (techno mix) , the kind of stuff that seems like its never going to give up and play all nite .
But I really like the older swedish sound and glenn wilson's stuff.
I like a lot of techno and will keep doing for years. except minimal :lol: sumtin about blips and blops and no bass lines or snyths and weak ass kick drums that put me off

Jake Conlon
02-07-2009, 08:39 AM
The synth sound from Dave Clarke - Wisdom To The Wise. Many tunes that contain the same noise catch my ear. Don't have a clue how the noise was made.

Wrong end of the thread starters stick I think too. :lol:

Electrictribe
02-07-2009, 09:03 AM
The synth sound from Dave Clarke - Wisdom To The Wise. Many tunes that contain the same noise catch my ear. Don't have a clue how the noise was made.

Wrong end of the thread starters stick I think too. :lol:

Just a reversed hardcore stab and filtered. Great sound though, a personal fav of mine too.

davethedrummer
17-07-2009, 04:17 PM
fave techno era?

easy 1983-1988 may, baxter, saunderson.

but let's be honest. it all matters eh. magnetic north, primate, direct drive, axis, plus 8....

who cares about the time. if you like only one techno era or sound, then you don't understand techno imho.

I've never really gone for that era I have to say
It's alright but sometimes it's let down with dodgy production or cheesy keyboard riffs
and apart from the obvious classic tracks and a few other bits and bobs a lot of it just annoyed me.
I guess you could say that about all eras of music

I think my real fave if I'm honest is the german acid trance era of 93 , yeah OK that was WELL cheesy too , but there were some record made that changed my life
hardfloor , misjah , noom records , pulse surface tension , harthouse , resistance d etc etc..
perhaps cheesy here and there , but from a producers point of view I thought the germans at that point took the possibilities of synths and drum machines to a new level.
the sound was much more sculpted , and the arrangements were careful and slick
techno was making money and it showed.
there were some incredible records made at that time.

drift9
17-07-2009, 04:58 PM
pulse surface tension

oh yes. still loving on that one.

eppertheleper
17-07-2009, 05:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbt_-RbJSOA

The Overfiend
20-07-2009, 08:34 PM
The Mid 90's Dutch Scene & Same Time Period UC Chicago Jackin stuff

clubsynthetic
20-07-2009, 09:21 PM
here and now

crime
21-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Machinedrum, 808, Buchla modulars and anything from an EMS Synthi-AKS..

crime
21-07-2009, 02:17 PM
techno was making money and it showed.
there were some incredible records made at that time.

It's a real shame that it's getting nigh on impossible to sell any "Techno" music that doesn't fall into an easy marketing demographic... minimal - Schranz - Loop techno - whatever, that's it.. if you fall outside these brackets it's easy to feel like you're banging your head against a brick wall.. So many records are tailored for the distributors...

stjohn
21-07-2009, 02:40 PM
FM in general is great i think., and is all over techno.

DannyBlack
21-07-2009, 03:44 PM
At the moment I'm liking the broken beat stuff, anything with nice complex drum patterns and what I love to chill out too is Jay Pace. man his tunes are hypnotic.

davethedrummer
21-07-2009, 04:39 PM
It's a real shame that it's getting nigh on impossible to sell any "Techno" music that doesn't fall into an easy marketing demographic... minimal - Schranz - Loop techno - whatever, that's it.. if you fall outside these brackets it's easy to feel like you're banging your head against a brick wall.. So many records are tailored for the distributors...

tell me about it
try selling acid techno

DannyBlack
21-07-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm never gonna get anywhere am I? I don't make conventional sounding stuff. :-\

crime
21-07-2009, 08:47 PM
tell me about it
try selling acid techno

real old skool acid techno seems to be on the rise though (I know that's not what you're talking about henry) James T Cotton, DJ Traxx etc etc.... I guess it's more acid house revival though really.. and if you made that just to sell records you wouldn't be doing what you wanted to do...

Personally right now I'm feeling like techno is over for me in many ways, I mean, I did just write a live act because someone booked me to do it in LT which was good motivation to do it, and I was really happy with the end result, I'd never have done it if I hadn't been given that motivation of a gig at a festival abroad, but I find it hard to find the buzz I used to get before everything was everythinged...

I need to get that piano, get practising and finally acheive my life long ambition of becoming a jazz pianist :P

davethedrummer
21-07-2009, 08:53 PM
real old skool acid techno seems to be on the rise though (I know that's not what you're talking about henry) James T Cotton, DJ Traxx etc etc.... I guess it's more acid house revival though really.. and if you made that just to sell records you wouldn't be doing what you wanted to do...

Personally right now I'm feeling like techno is over for me in many ways, I mean, I did just write a live act because someone booked me to do it in LT which was good motivation to do it, and I was really happy with the end result, I'd never have done it if I hadn't been given that motivation of a gig at a festival abroad, but I find it hard to find the buzz I used to get before everything was everythinged...

I need to get that piano, get practising and finally acheive my life long ambition of becoming a jazz pianist :P

jazz pianist ?
thats the one.

Woksaus
22-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Oh man, this is a hard one... I think X-Trax Records up until about 1999, Stay Up Forever, Noom, Choci Chewns, Hydraulix and Pounding Grooves. And artists such as Speedy J, Boriqua Tribez, Mauro Picotto... Too many good artists and labels to name, actually :P

The Teknoist.
29-07-2009, 02:45 PM
the reverbed to buggery synth sound typicaly heard in Basic Channel tracks

<3

morbid
30-07-2009, 01:32 PM
I'd like to throw some cowbell into the ring

ding!

basslinejunkie
30-07-2009, 04:10 PM

is that true?

i always thought techno was about if its a good tune or not, not weather its the latest 'shranz anthem'

if i like it i buy it,simple. maybe people are more nieve than me tho. youd know this i guess as you sell records and i just buy them.

judas_beast
30-07-2009, 06:51 PM
It varies from day to day. I hope I never get bored of it/it never bores me.

judas_beast
30-07-2009, 06:51 PM
/comedy answer

anything with a banging donk on it.

The Overfiend
31-07-2009, 06:31 AM
is that true?

i always thought techno was about if its a good tune or not, not weather its the latest 'shranz anthem'

if i like it i buy it,simple. maybe people are more nieve than me tho. youd know this i guess as you sell records and i just buy them.

It's too true, distro's wont take you unless you will garner a return on investment.
Digital is the way to go.
I understand the whole mastering sound quality control debate and what not.
But back when all this was fresh there was none of that.
It was honest.
I'm out to bring these days back, **** the ruels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AkRuLVp0eY

The Overfiend
31-07-2009, 06:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCaMrGOVBv0

manolo
31-07-2009, 01:40 PM
glenn wilson techno
acied techno

DarkYoung
01-08-2009, 09:49 PM
im really loving todays sound.

electro. dubstep. fat collective sound.

the stuff the suf collective are putting out recently. just love it.
never had it so good.

like failed relationships, old music is nice but played more for sentimental reasons.

a X cell
02-08-2009, 03:06 AM
93-94 futuristic and space stuff like Basic Channel - Phylyps Trak, Partycrashers - Buy this record.

Thomas Krome and Swedish stuff is awesome too and some of the songs really fits the recent Techno.

Nowadays, I'm more into dark stuff like Bas Mooy, A.Paul and his many nicknames, Max M, etc. Specifically the stuff that is more complex and more "mind****ing"

The Overfiend
02-08-2009, 03:08 AM
Of course

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ng7SoFG-uA

morbid
02-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Ill see your Speedy J and raise you some Steve Stoll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97u-nBSlw4w

I loved 96 - 2000 techno, so many new sounds developing

The Overfiend
02-08-2009, 07:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDDQguBfaCM

TVart
03-08-2009, 03:59 AM
first: sorry for my bad english... :)

its very hard for me to say what is my favorit sound...

at first it was tunes like:"desert storm","Sourmash - Pilgrimage to Paradise (Hardfloor remix)",dj misjah - purple road,DJ MISJAH & GROOVEHEAD - FUNKY DRIVE...
then i was in love in so called funky/groovy techno (or minimal techno as we call it those days)... stuff from names like: user (dean cole) ,rob stow,mhonolink,johan bacto,marco carola,adam beyer,you know...dirty techno for dirty people...basicly its "dj tools" ,but i love it . realy,realy love it till now... :)

these days i listen all kind of stuff...from proper techhouse and techno,more detroit stuff, to UK acid techno...to bad acid techno scene dont egsist here,in serbia...i am so jelaous on your acid tekno partyes...
and,of course,crazy guys from spain - david moleon and dito masats... :)

i dont like hard techno or shranz...not my cup of tea,i guess...

i bet i forget something,but nevermind,,,,you guys get a picture.

btw,this tune drives me mad...i know its "loopy techno",or whatever you call it in uk,but i will jump,and scream,and dance like mad every time i hear it somewhere... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzyVhCYiwk8

:dance:

loopdon
03-08-2009, 11:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDDQguBfaCM

Didn't know that one - fierce!!!

crime
04-08-2009, 08:18 PM
is that true?

If techno was just about good tunes, then why would the market be flooded with absolute crap? I really wish it was about just the quality of the music, but it seems these days it's the people that can market it the best that do better than people with just pure talent sadly..

And yeah, digital is cool and everything, aside from the fact that that is completely flooded out too.. I guess it's cool that so many people want to make music.. just a shame that people don't seem to be listening so much...

pd2h
05-08-2009, 08:51 AM
My current Favorite Techno sound would have to be anything by the deepchord crew on Echospace amazing minimal techno, a really droning sound with plenty of beautiful melody and soundscapage!!

The Overfiend
05-08-2009, 11:32 PM
If techno was just about good tunes, then why would the market be flooded with absolute crap? I really wish it was about just the quality of the music, but it seems these days it's the people that can market it the best that do better than people with just pure talent sadly..

And yeah, digital is cool and everything, aside from the fact that that is completely flooded out too.. I guess it's cool that so many people want to make music.. just a shame that people don't seem to be listening so much...

last part is exactly the point.
the audience isn't there, it seems like we're the fans/producers/artists/dj's/performers

maily
16-08-2009, 07:48 PM
if you like only one techno era or sound, then you don't understand techno imho.

word.

SlavikSvensk
16-08-2009, 09:04 PM
techno nowadays seems, to me, to be fairly uninspired. some new artists are putting out great music, yes, but the overall effect seems to be a bit stale and stolid. the problem, as i see it, is that techno is too encumbered by its history and conventions. if it's going to regain its past glory, i think artists need to stop thinking about making this or that kind of track, and just make the best song they can, divorced from preconceptions of what it should sound like.

this approach is obviously not going to appeal to everyone, and fair dos. just one grumpy old man's opinion...

278d7e64a374de26f==