PDA

View Full Version : Cubase SX - VSTI's through VST FX?

daviec
24-01-2004, 07:50 AM
I switched from Logic to Cubase SX a while back and while I'm familiar enough with Cubase now to be comfortable there's a few things I miss being able to do which I could do with Logic.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but is there a way to route the audio output of a VSTi to a vst FX? It was no bother on Logic, I just picked the VST as an insert on the VSTi track, but when I try on Cubase, all I get are MIDI effects.

Just now I've been bouncing the tracks down and adding them in as a new audio to use FX on them, but it's such a long way round.

Anyone know if it's possible to just route the VSTi through a VST?

DJZeMig_L
24-01-2004, 02:42 PM
On yer mixer It will show up as a VSt i channel, this is very much like any audio channel on the mixer thus inserts/ send/ eq... make sure that by some mistake U haven't disabled the viewing of VST I channels on the mixer (press F3 2 see the mixer.. now on yer left bottom corner of the mixer there is buttons 2 show/ hide VST I, Input, Midi, Audio, Group and rewire channels!)...

Hope this helped!

Z

daviec
29-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Yep, I've got the mixer up and all channels are showing, but I don't get vst fx on the vsti channels. So for example when I click on the inserts on an audio channel I get offered my vst filters, etc. When I click on inserts on the vsti channels I get offered midi echo and the likes but no vst fx. :cry:

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but on Logic I could just do it from the main page. I just put an insert on the vsti track and could effect the audio output, but on Cubase it's like I'm putting effects on the midi input to a vsti.

DJZeMig_L
29-01-2004, 10:38 PM
I think I might b onto yer mistake (hopefully)...

U r pointing 2 a Midi Track that is in fact "triggering" a VST I which will b outputing it's sound to a VST i AUDIO Channel... it's this last one u must use 2 Eq/ Dynamics/ efxs etc...

that's the difference.. it makes sense... If u r getting lost hide all Midi channels then look for a Channel that has the name of the VST i u r using!

Z

DJZeMig_L
29-01-2004, 10:38 PM
I think I might b onto yer mistake (hopefully)...

U r pointing 2 a Midi Track that is in fact "triggering" a VST I which will b outputing it's sound to a VST i AUDIO Channel... it's this last one u must use 2 Eq/ Dynamics/ efxs etc...

that's the difference.. it makes sense... If u r getting lost hide all Midi channels then look for a Channel that has the name of the VST i u r using!

Z

daviec
30-01-2004, 07:16 AM
Yes, that sounds like what's hapening. Off to give it a try now, cheers.

daviec
30-01-2004, 07:23 AM
That was exactly what was happening mate. Thanks a lot. The confusion was that in Logic the effects on the main window were audio effects for a vsti.

And in the mixer window on SX the name of the channel for the audio output from the vsti was a bit cryptic, but hiding the midi channels made it obvious which one was which.

Thanks a lot mate. :)

DJZeMig_L
30-01-2004, 05:57 PM
no prob m8,

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==