PDA

View Full Version : Live Techno Sets

slavestudios
25-01-2004, 03:18 PM
and i'm talkin live. drumachines, big desk, synths, outboard. not some twat with a laptop :evil:

anyways, do ppl generally enjoy them ? theyre a lot of work for those involved but are they worth the hassle ?

miromiric.
25-01-2004, 03:26 PM
what do you mean some twat with a laptop? are you a geekophobe?

messyfuture
25-01-2004, 03:58 PM
i use an atari ;)

messyfuture
25-01-2004, 04:02 PM
is that pete?

slavestudios
25-01-2004, 04:13 PM
ok. maybe that was worded badly.

i mean a guy who turns up & is billed as playin 'live' then ends up just runnin Cubase & tweakin a filter here & there. not really live u know what i mean ? where as pullin loops in & out of Ableton... theres a window for error so thats a LIVE set if u know what i mean...

but my point... bringin out all that kit ? would ppl generally say 'yes' or 'no' to bookin/attending a live set ?

[/url]

slavestudios
25-01-2004, 04:15 PM
yup

what ya reckon ? u dig live sets ?

im principal, regardless of how good or bad they are
(which is, of cousre down to opinion rather than fact)

slavestudios
25-01-2004, 04:16 PM
my typin is woeful today :oops:

you use just an Atari live ? how ?

messyfuture
25-01-2004, 04:22 PM
i did in the past
but then it got droped down the stairs in giros

i bring a fair bit of kit out with me and a laptop...... it is a pain in the ass but worth the trouble

fu ck sake hearing ur own stuff on a big rig :lol:

lovley

slavestudios
25-01-2004, 04:30 PM
whats on your lappy ? do u sequence hardware with it ? big desk ?

messyfuture
25-01-2004, 04:36 PM
i use sx on the laptop and just got ableton

i run wavs thru the laptop to a dj mixer....then midi stuff to my 909 which is spererated out into a mackie 1604 with fx and a filter bank.... the output then goes into the other channel on the dj mixer

:roll:

slavestudios
25-01-2004, 04:38 PM
cool. nice set up. loads of tweakin on the 909

any outboard ? fx ? compression ?

slavestudios
25-01-2004, 04:39 PM
sorry, what fx ?

bit slow today :oops:

messyfuture
25-01-2004, 04:42 PM
i have a shitty digi tech studio quad, compressor and sherman filter bank.... also getting a akai mfc 42 to use on the send/returns on the dj mixer

slavestudios
25-01-2004, 04:50 PM
any live sets comin up anywhere ?

messyfuture
25-01-2004, 04:54 PM
dunno

march... maybe

slavestudios
25-01-2004, 04:57 PM
where abouts ? Belfast ?

messyfuture
25-01-2004, 05:00 PM
yup
i'm from belfast

slavestudios
25-01-2004, 05:03 PM
yeah. i live with a guy u know. Ed Hughes. he let me hear a cd u done a while ago. think it was stuff with Graham (G1)

u played for Kraft & Heavywieght ?

messyfuture
25-01-2004, 05:07 PM
yes man
throw that cd away the new stuff is way better
PM ur email address and i'll send u a copule of links for the new stuff
or if ur on messenger i can send them direct

slavestudios
25-01-2004, 05:29 PM
off to make a loop track. on a Ben Sims/Mark Williams tip today :dance:

speak soon messy

Larney
25-01-2004, 05:55 PM
Maybe there should be two types of Live sets? One where the die hard hardware performer impresses the crowd with piles of equipment and meaningfull tweaking and two where the twat on the laptop impresses the crowd with a great sound to dance to. Or maybe truly both are achievable!

slavestudios
25-01-2004, 10:25 PM
i'm not saying everybody with a laptop is a twat, its just that a laptop is a hell of a lot easier to transport so all of a sudden a lot more ppl are doing 'live' sets that are just Cubase sequnces witha few tweaks via a mouse.

i think there is def difference between laptop sets & hardware sets, but i'm not dissing one or the other.

just come a guy brings out a load of kit, dont mean its just to impress ppl. maybe its cos iuts got more tactile feel with buttons, knobs & sliders on modules, desks & fx.

slavestudios
25-01-2004, 10:27 PM
your not really 'discussing' it are you ?

and ive already said i phrased the laptop comment badly.

its not a personal attack, just a question.

chill ;)

dan the acid man
25-01-2004, 10:33 PM
i personally love to see live acts, you get to hear a producer playing all their own songs for an hour or more, its fantastic

slavestudios
25-01-2004, 10:39 PM
i admire the balls to go without the safety net of a 'big tune'

its easy to save a bad dj set with the right records but u cant change a live set in the middle if it goes a bit quiet on the dancefloor.

trying to organise a night in Belfast with 3 laptops & two hardware sets caleed 'NO TURNTABLES' with local guys. its proving quite a challenge :neutral:

dan the acid man
25-01-2004, 10:43 PM
it sounds like a good idea to me, something a bit different

Stuart
26-01-2004, 01:35 PM
ok. maybe that was worded badly.

i mean a guy who turns up & is billed as playin 'live' then ends up just runnin Cubase & tweakin a filter here & there. not really live u know what i mean ? where as pullin loops in & out of Ableton... theres a window for error so thats a LIVE set if u know what i mean...

but my point... bringin out all that kit ? would ppl generally say 'yes' or 'no' to bookin/attending a live set ?

[/url]

You just totally contradicted yourself there.

What does Ableton run on?? and what do you do with it?

A laptop and you programme it to runn a sequence then you tweak filter.

Komplex
26-01-2004, 10:11 PM
so what happens when a live pa uses a laptop AND hardware. Is he only half a live act then? or a live act and a half ;)

what if a live pa brings their whole studio out to recreate tracks exactly how they are on their releases but can't mix between them. only play one after the other?

i think untill you have actually been and done that or understand the ins and outs of electronic music production, you can't truly appreciate all the different ways live pa's can be performed.

MARKEG
26-01-2004, 10:33 PM
wow i really respect that reply.

slavestudios
01-02-2004, 01:53 AM
well, ive done over 3 dozen live sets in Belfast & even played live in Dublin, so i know what i'm at, a'ite

Ableton is built for live use. its on my pc & a friend is willin to let me use his laptop sooooo.... it is different from Cubase

if u run ANYTHING pre-programmed and fully sequenced i dont see it as live. mite as well play a cd.

i'm talkin about actually jammin your own loops. using elements in different combinations every time.

i already apologised for the original laptop remark, so can ppl get over it & just drop an opinion instead of trying to patronise ;)

my main gripe with the use of laptops is the amount of 'acts' who have been to Belfast over the last 2 years & been billed as 'live' and when you turn up, its a laptop running Cubase with a Kaoss pad. not very live is it ?

the same, if someone turns up with an S3000 with 10 outs & QY700 running the whole thing at the push of one button, its not really 'live' is it ?

last time i seen Speedy J he had 2 SU700s on a desk. thats it. not a midi lead in sight. he jus jammed his loops... LIVE ! and he was fukin ace

seen other British acts who just turned up with a laptop, played loops thru Reason & played one deck over it... and were crap.

anyways, off for a coffe, another rollie & back to the studio...

http://www.perpetualelectronic.co.uk/

Stuart
02-02-2004, 12:07 PM
well, ive done over 3 dozen live sets in Belfast & even played live in Dublin, so i know what i'm at, a'ite

Ableton is built for live use. its on my pc & a friend is willin to let me use his laptop sooooo.... it is different from Cubase

if u run ANYTHING pre-programmed and fully sequenced i dont see it as live. mite as well play a cd.

i'm talkin about actually jammin your own loops. using elements in different combinations every time.

i already apologised for the original laptop remark, so can ppl get over it & just drop an opinion instead of trying to patronise ;)

my main gripe with the use of laptops is the amount of 'acts' who have been to Belfast over the last 2 years & been billed as 'live' and when you turn up, its a laptop running Cubase with a Kaoss pad. not very live is it ?

the same, if someone turns up with an S3000 with 10 outs & QY700 running the whole thing at the push of one button, its not really 'live' is it ?

last time i seen Speedy J he had 2 SU700s on a desk. thats it. not a midi lead in sight. he jus jammed his loops... LIVE ! and he was fukin ace

seen other British acts who just turned up with a laptop, played loops thru Reason & played one deck over it... and were crap.

anyways, off for a coffe, another rollie & back to the studio...

Well I totally agree with you there. (Thats cleared that up).

Surgeon played this weekend with a 12" power book and Ableton, no headphones, it wasn't billed as a live set (I don't think) but by the looks of things all he was doing is using a midi controller and bringing in sequenced tracks/Loops. His set was amazing as it was all his own production and I love the Surgeon stuff. But IMO he may as well have played a pre mixed CD. If you going to do that rather than play records. Alternatively he could have used Final Scratch and actually mixed something by ear.

slavestudios
02-02-2004, 12:34 PM
cool. understanding is a great thang :lol:

i know exactly were your comin from on the Surgeon tip.

downloading your live set as i type.

whats the kit list for it ?

http://www.seriousbass.com/technomixes.htm
i have a live set on this page. all hardware with patterns that are just jammed & changed there & then. only like 3 drumachines, 2xMC303s, SU200, SP202, DJM600, Zoom fx, Numark dj mixer but it werx. loads of vocal samples...

and a dj mix with 57 trax in 70 mins...

gumpy green
02-02-2004, 12:53 PM
totally live on all the boxes........its in the french free party style (hardtek)

http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/mp3/6tmajakNnov03livePA.mp3

Recorded live at JakN

massplanck
02-02-2004, 02:57 PM

I know he is a 'god' on this board (I like his shit too) but there is absolutley **** all (from what I witnessed) TO MAKATON when he plays live. He just plays his tracks off abelton. His live sets sound exactly like his tunes note for note.. although I could be wrong. Someone prove me wrong.

I play live but its as freestlye as it gets... maily using the Yamaha RS7000 with the odd sound/loop off abelton but nothing is planned.

slavestudios
02-02-2004, 06:51 PM
DO U LIKE YOUR HARDWARE :lol: :lol: :lol:

rs7000. A MATES GOT ONE, HAD IT FOR OVER A YEAR AND HE ONLY TURNED IT ON LAST WEEK. LAZY SHITE :lol:

caps foookin lock :doh:

you playing the Slobodan night Massplanck ?

J U A L
04-02-2004, 02:31 PM
Hello, a friend pointed out your post as I dont do forums. I would like to pull you up on few things. The set I played in Dublin, consisted of parts of original tracks, loops and sometimes a section of the original track. Here is a breakdown of the set I played at Electricity.

Goatbone - all separate parts
Eternal Host - loops, section of original track.
Margin of Error - loops, end section of original track
Cockfest2003 - separate parts, middle section of track.
Awards Ceremony - loops.
Sleepers - loops
Weakness - loops, separate parts
A lesser Man - loops,
Chitwan Ghost - loops,
Untitled - loop, separate parts
Last Wish - loop, section of original track.
All the false idols - loops, separate parts
Neglect - separate parts
Black Country - loops, middle section of original track

As you can see, I use section of tracks sometimes (is this cheating?) and jam with loops and **** separate parts around. This was the 2nd time I used Ableton in a club environment, I am now mixing with decks and Ableton to refine the sound. For many years I have carried half my studio with me and apart from the stress of / breakage it caused I felt it was more accessible to use a laptop to recreate the Rodz-Konez sound. 99% of dj booths are not accomodating for studio equipment.

This is a big debate on what is live ? but at the end of the day, personally I am not a lazy liveset. Every set I do is different. And not pre planned.

I hope this cleared a few things up.

Best

Steve

The Overfiend
04-02-2004, 02:39 PM
:twisted: :clap:
Settin the record straight!

el_satan666
04-02-2004, 04:49 PM

I know he is a 'god' on this board (I like his shit too) but there is absolutley **** all (from what I witnessed) TO MAKATON when he plays live. He just plays his tracks off abelton. His live sets sound exactly like his tunes note for note.. although I could be wrong. Someone prove me wrong.

I play live but its as freestlye as it gets... maily using the Yamaha RS7000 with the odd sound/loop off abelton but nothing is planned.

Saw you last night throw out a cracker of a live set at the opening of that "Genius" night. Definately the saviour of the night, was dissappointed when they insisted on having a dj after you. Ah well.

As for Makaton, I REALLY enjoyed the tracks, but felt the "live" side of things was a bit lacking. A bit more continuity would've made it rock.

I personally beleive that a "live" set is "live" if they don't use originally unchangeable media (records, cds, mp3s etc). Therefore Laptop+Cubase=Live. But audience enjoyment/appreciating not as good as say having a rake of outboard units and MIDI.

Metadog
04-02-2004, 05:56 PM
i don't understand what the problem is if an act actually trigger all the sounds live or not

is a live set for the enjoyment of the punters, who generally do not have the first clue about making music, or is it so the chin rubbing few in the audience who do know their technical ins and outs can pass judgement on the complexity of the acts setup ?

most folks care not how it gets to the speakers, but do care what it sounds like once the speakers have done their job - this to me is what matters

when i play "live" it is more important to me to be able to play a flowing danceable set than to actually trigger the sounds live

to trigger live i would have to drag my whole setup out which is not going to happen

if i had the cash i could get a smaller live setup and work out how to make things more involved and interesting to perform on stage but for now the most important thing is to be able to mix our tracks into each other

i'd rather listen to a good act that are not totally live than a crap act who have bothered to drag their setup out and look visually more interesting

we do it half live, pre-recording and layering tracks up on a digital multi-tracker, then playing them thru a normal dj mixer to be able to cut, eq, etc

el_satan666
04-02-2004, 07:23 PM
most folks care not how it gets to the speakers, but do care what it sounds like once the speakers have done their job - this to me is what matters

Valid point, very Zen too! :lol:

dan the acid man
04-02-2004, 07:41 PM
definetly with metadog on this one, when im out i just want to have a good time, listen to some great music and im not bothered wether a live pa is fully live or not, lets just dance or nod our heads :dance:

massplanck
04-02-2004, 07:43 PM
:twisted: :clap:
Settin the record straight!

Thats what i asked for.

Komplex
04-02-2004, 10:06 PM
lets end this subject. theres too many variables!

DROID
05-02-2004, 01:47 AM
mms://wm.vibeflow.com/archive/rw/rw.2003-08-08.acid_circus.1.wmv

two laptops + some gear in the mix :rambo:

acid circus live PA [DROIDBEHAVIOR, LA]

DROID
05-02-2004, 03:02 AM
lets end this subject. theres too many variables!

cool set.

Antinoise
05-02-2004, 08:07 AM
Two laptops with Ableton Live in session window mode is as live as gets.

278d7e64a374de26f==