PDA

View Full Version : In the thick of it all.

DannyBlack
09-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Right, this is the style I'm aiming for at the moment. It seems to fit me and what I have in my head. So far this is a minute or so of what I have done so far. Gloomy, off the beaten track type of techno. My question is- how do you develope a track like this? Like build ups etc?

http://rapidshare.com/files/265604665/inthethickofitall.mp3

any help is very much appreciated.

curly
10-08-2009, 06:35 PM
good to hear you trying something different danny. This has lots of potential. If it was me I would try experimenting with lots of different edits on the patterns to keep the interest going. Also that synth bass line is crying out for some filter sweeps over it.

Dont know if ive been much help or not, keep us posted on any developments.

judas_beast
10-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Downloading now mate, on my painfully slow internet connection - will check it out this evening.

DannyBlack
10-08-2009, 10:31 PM
@curly, yeah i want to create drum havock. so edits all over the gaf will be the order of the day. The bass line will go- i dont like it too much.

@ Judas, nice one mate ;-)

SWANNER
11-08-2009, 08:04 PM
really like that drum pattern you got going on here, that fx sound sits perfect too.
production sounds nice and clean.
not too keen on that bassline though,would be good to hear it with a more driven sub bass?
only my opinion mate
peace

DannyBlack
11-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Swanner! bloody 'ell. aven't seen you around these parts in time!

cheers for the listen and the comments. Yeah the bassline will go, i just need some direction.

sound mate.

judas_beast
13-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Ok I'm typing as I listen, so I might change my mind!!!

I like the wondering bass/synth sound, maybe darken it up a bit - distort or perhaps a bit crusher? Kick for me is a bit weak and mid-rangey, I know it's important to have the bite, but personally I'd try and find the freq. of the bite sound, and boost that, while cutting a bit of mid range muddyness. Like the snare pattens and what not, sounds like you've varied the volume etc of some of the snares, which gives it a cool human feel. Agree that the bass line could have more low end presence. Some of the hats are a bit quiet, I know they are there for ambient ''vibes'', but me personally, I'd put a low cut on them, at over >1khz'ish region, and turn them up a bit, for more high end sparkley goodness!

It's a very brooding track, nice and dark, could imagine it in a computer game of some sort.

In terms of the overall mix I think the low end is a bit lacking.

ps something I just noticed, a tip, ignore if you like; when you have a little roll of kicks, the snappy attack of each kick can sound a bit like a click or glitch, that you might get if a recording was ****ed up, perhaps try turning the following kicks down, dunno if that makes sense so here's a (very rough) diagram thingy:

KICK - kick - slightlyquieter kick -slightlyquieter kick - etc

only needs doing, I find, when you have kicks say every 16th or so of a beat. make sense?

good track all round though, dude, finish it off.

278d7e64a374de26f==