PDA

View Full Version : Usain Bolt just beat his world record with 9.58

snooch
16-08-2009, 11:36 PM
http://www.universalsports.com/mediaPlayer/media.dbml?id=639683&db_oem_id=23000

The man is a legend. Blew his amazing Olympic performance away. And he still pulled up at the end.

DarkYoung
17-08-2009, 12:17 AM
unbeleivable

SlavikSvensk
17-08-2009, 02:05 AM
i wonder if it'll eventually turn out he's on steroids, like ben johnson. i hope not, because he seems like a good fellow, and his performances are dazzling. but it's an unfortunate effect of the current day and age that any truly amazing athletic performance immediately raises red flags...

Insomnia
17-08-2009, 11:01 AM
I saw the semi final he were in and nobody was near him, he were looking over and took the foot of the gas, missed the final but caught it on the news this morning, like a greyhound at a trap that guy..

djfase
17-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Watched this and my only thought was

WOW

snooch
17-08-2009, 07:55 PM
The guy who came in second would have gotten the world record also. That's a bitch to run the race of your life only to get beaten like that and by a guy who let up at the end. Bolt is indeed the man. I just hope he isn't on the juice and hiding it.

SlavikSvensk
17-08-2009, 07:55 PM
doesn't it seem a bit suspicious to you guys that he's blowing everyone away like that? i hope he's just a freak of nature speedster, but i can't help but be suspicious.

DarkYoung
17-08-2009, 08:20 PM
doesn't it seem a bit suspicious to you guys that he's blowing everyone away like that? i hope he's just a freak of nature speedster, but i can't help but be suspicious.

bizarre.

how come your never suspicous about other things like 9/11, JFK etc?

DarkYoung
17-08-2009, 08:20 PM
too much unconcious racism

SlavikSvensk
17-08-2009, 09:58 PM
don't be intellectually lazy, dy. almost all of the other sprinters are black too. and not like sprinting is free from doping. think about it...

a while back, canadian world record holder ben johnson was found to have used steroids.

in 2004, several sprinters--greek and american--were found to have used performance enhancing drugs. one, tim montgomery, was the 100 meter record holder at the time.

just recently, 6 jamaican sprinters, including bolt's training partner, were found to have used methylhexaneamine.

doesn't mean bolt did anything. in fact, he is testing negative so far. but when everyone is running around 9.8, then suddenly a dude is running 9.6, and its happening just when the truth is coming out about the vast number of people in olympic and professional sports using performance enhancing drugs, doesn't that sound just a tad bit funny to you? in beijing he ran his 200 meter in 19.30 when his previous record was 19.67. doesn't that raise red flags?

hope they are unwarranted, though.

this article sums it up nicely

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/bolt-cant-outrun-the-sceptics/story-e6frezz0-1225762939178

DarkYoung
18-08-2009, 08:36 AM
don't be intellectually lazy, dy. almost all of the other sprinters are black too. and not like sprinting is free from doping. think about it...

a while back, canadian world record holder ben johnson was found to have used steroids.

in 2004, several sprinters--greek and american--were found to have used performance enhancing drugs. one, tim montgomery, was the 100 meter record holder at the time.

just recently, 6 jamaican sprinters, including bolt's training partner, were found to have used methylhexaneamine.

doesn't mean bolt did anything. in fact, he is testing negative so far. but when everyone is running around 9.8, then suddenly a dude is running 9.6, and its happening just when the truth is coming out about the vast number of people in olympic and professional sports using performance enhancing drugs, doesn't that sound just a tad bit funny to you? in beijing he ran his 200 meter in 19.30 when his previous record was 19.67. doesn't that raise red flags?

hope they are unwarranted, though.

this article sums it up nicely

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/bolt-cant-outrun-the-sceptics/story-e6frezz0-1225762939178

i would be massively disappointed if he was doping.

he gives the impression he trains lightly and lives on a diet of fried chicken.

he doesn't come across as some dope fiend.

they do random testing between competitions, maybe he just is that good, and better than any US or UK sprinter.

SlavikSvensk
18-08-2009, 04:56 PM
i would be too! he does come across as a good fellow and perhaps he's just an extraordinarily gifted sprinter. and for the matter, there's not even a smidgen of proof that he's been doping.

but i've become really cynical about this due to the recent news coming from professional baseball. basically, the sport (unlike most other professional sports) did not have an adequate testing regime in place. so it's now coming out that between 1990 and 2002, many more players were doping than anyone believed. every time there's a revelation, the media and people generally say: "why can't these juicers be more like ______, who has achieved so much without apparent use of performance enhancing drugs?" then it comes out that ______ was also juicing.

C.O.Prodigy
18-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Marion Jones and Tim Montgomery were also on drugs.

But to say that Bolt is, is like saying that Michale Phelps is on drugs and hiding it. Because they both are the best at what they do by far. But since great athletes like Bonds and Mark and Sammy Sosa were on the juice I can't help but understand why Slav would be suspicious. It has become all too common.

In my opinion I don't think that with Usain Bolt that is the case. It was time that someone stepped up and improved the discipline.

And if I may, his performances in Bejing like these in Berlin were inspiring. And since Bejing he has become a darling of the public. Might have something to do with it, all that positive energy and adrenalin doing it's magick. The fact is that Bolt is only going to get faster since he's only 23 years old, and I'm really looking forward to it. Also I think that his speed could be linked to his build and his long legs, but again I think he will improve along with his technique in the years to come. No juice needed.

SlavikSvensk
18-08-2009, 06:47 PM
i'm just kind of at the point where any out-of-the-ordinary sports performance is immediately suspect to me. it seems like every day there's a new revelation.

marion jones also passed all her tests...she was only caught because the investigation into barry bonds uncovered her name on BALCO invoices.

DarkYoung
18-08-2009, 06:52 PM
tbh i think should let athletes take drugs if they want to.

just something else to police and control.

C.O.Prodigy
18-08-2009, 07:26 PM
i'm just kind of at the point where any out-of-the-ordinary sports performance is immediately suspect to me.

Are you suspicious of Phelps?

SlavikSvensk
18-08-2009, 07:33 PM

not as suspicious as i am of bolt, because he wasn't breaking records by the same gaudy amounts. but i also wouldn't exactly be shocked either, if it turned out he was juicing. soooooo many people have been. and probably loads more that are just clever enough to not get caught. tbh, at this point, i wouldn't be shocked to hear anyone is...

DarkYoung
18-08-2009, 07:49 PM
:lol:

DarkYoung
18-08-2009, 07:50 PM
not as suspicious as i am of bolt, because he wasn't breaking records by the same gaudy amounts. but i also wouldn't exactly be shocked either, if it turned out he was juicing. soooooo many people have been. and probably loads more that are just clever enough to not get caught. tbh, at this point, i wouldn't be shocked to hear anyone is...
what does it really matter? if he used juice or not?
i always thought ben johnson's record should have stood. steroids or not.

SlavikSvensk
18-08-2009, 08:16 PM
it's not a feat of human ability at that point, it's a feat of technology.

besides, these things are really bad for you, and allowing it basically tells all those daydreaming kids out there: "go ahead, ruin your life for the almost imperceptible chance you might actually end up a star."

but of course the war against doping is kind of a rear-guard action. there will always be new PEDs that beat the piss tests...

C.O.Prodigy
18-08-2009, 08:17 PM
i always thought ben johnson's record should have stood. steroids or not.

That's a good point actually. I also thought that the sport was set back by many years by annuling that record. But still it's fair that it didn't stand.

SlavikSvensk
18-08-2009, 08:19 PM
the rules say you can't take PEDs and compete. you break 'em, you have only yourself to blame.

C.O.Prodigy
18-08-2009, 08:21 PM
it's not a feat of human ability at that point, it's a feat of technology.

Well not entirely, the muscles and limbs and brains are still that of the athlete. If two athletes take the same drug one will win over the other and that victory is down to the athletes ability.

But I know what you mean and in order for it to be called sport it must be "clean". And I agree.

C.O.Prodigy
18-08-2009, 08:23 PM
been. and probably loads more that are just clever enough to not get caught. tbh, at this point, i wouldn't be shocked to hear anyone is...

I'm positive that Kobe Bryant is.
Ok 99% positive.

SlavikSvensk
18-08-2009, 08:28 PM
who knows anymore? maybe everyone is.

the only american sport where they really test rigorously is (american) football, and evne then people do it...they just have a higher likelihood of being caught than in the other pro sports.

DarkYoung
18-08-2009, 08:49 PM
the rules say you can't take PEDs and compete. you break 'em, you have only yourself to blame.

maybe they should drug test djs?

same principle.

C.O.Prodigy
18-08-2009, 08:51 PM
who knows anymore? maybe everyone is.

Maybe. But accomplishments should be praised rather then rigorously tested. If we frown upon world records, then how would the sport evolve without them?

I give Usain the benefit of the doubt like I did with Marion. Time will tell, but for what he has accomplished he doesn't really deserve unfair scrutiny.

C.O.Prodigy
19-08-2009, 01:56 PM
IAAF says men’s 100 meters at world championships has no positive doping cases (http://blog.taragana.com/sports/2009/08/19/iaaf-says-mens-100-meters-at-world-championships-has-no-positive-doping-cases-21154/)

All athletes clean from men’s 100 meters at worlds

BERLIN — The IAAF has announced that there were no positive doping cases in the men’s 100 meters, the marquee event of the world championships.

Steeplechaser Jamal Chatbi of Morocco is the only positive athlete of the championships so far after more than 600 tests were analyzed.

Usain Bolt won the men’s 100 in a world record time of 9.58 seconds, beating Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell.

This is an official (IAAF) statement, and since zie germans don't make those kind of mistakes I guess that's pretty cool.

SlavikSvensk
19-08-2009, 04:31 PM
not a question of mistakes. it's a question of having the right tests and whether or not people can evade being caught. remember, there is no test for HGH, even though it's a banned substance. so while a negative test result helps, it doesn't close the book. actually i don't know if the book can ever be closed anymore, for anyone.

to give an example why, marion jones was tested and passed every time. she was only caught because they found her name on a BALCO invoice...seven years later. one of the many things BALCO specialized in was teaching clients how to test negative even when they were positive.

it's all a bit of a conspiracy theory, of course, and has some of the worst aspects of a conspiracy theory in it--zero proof, circumstantial argument, denies validity of any proof to the contrary, etc. but of course i'm not claiming that it is the truth...only that i'm suspicious in this case and have a bad feeling that evidence will eventually emerge validating that bad feeling.

C.O.Prodigy
19-08-2009, 06:46 PM
to give an example why, marion jones was tested and passed every time. she was only caught because they found her name on a BALCO invoice...seven years later. one of the many things BALCO specialized in was teaching clients how to test negative even when they were positive.

Well that only goes to show how American sprinting has had a shadow of infamy cast over it and how it has lost it's influence in the 100m event.

Jamaican sprinting on the other hand has risen to it's highest highs and shouldn't really be dragged down with the ship or even but in the same boat as the other offenders.

Although saying that, Tyson Gay has nothing to do with anything wrong about the sport. He has run the race of his life and has set a new national record which he should be proud of. But American sprinting isn't the best in the world anymore.

The way history will remember it is that Bolt won the race by the same margin as he did in Bejing (blowing away the opposition) and that Gay ran a time 0.2 slower then the then world record of 9.69.

I think that this is just Bolt's style, and that he should be praised. I doubt that any such evidence will reveal itself. Something I doubt about other "conspiracies".

SlavikSvensk
19-08-2009, 07:01 PM
well, there are actually quite a few open questions about jamaican sprinting. first, many experts have pointed out that jamaica has one of the least adequate testing regimes in place of any national olympic committee. second, there's really nothing stopping jamaican splinters from using the exact same performance enhancement companies as american (or other) athletes.

interestingly, it was a jamaican track coach--trevor graham--who first exposed BALCO, after being beset by guilt over his own role in bringing marion jones and tim montgomery to BALCO.

this kind of sums it u nicely

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/more-sport/2009/08/19/why-sprint-s-list-of-shame-means-i-fear-for-usain-bolt-115875-21607271/

It's not that I believe he's a cheat. In fact, I desperately want to believe he isn't a cheat. I want to believe he's a freak of nature, just like everyone who has a vested interest in the sport is asking us to do.

I want to believe that his dominance is a product of what everyone's saying: that he's the first really tall bloke who ever wanted to run the 100m.

I know there are people who will say that my inability to glory in Bolt's superhuman feats is a sad symptom of a mind warped by cynicism.

Those people may be right but to me those who shrieked their delight with unfettered credulity when Bolt crossed the line in Berlin are like battered wives going back to an abusive husband.

Haven't we been burned too many times before to leap back into the arms of the sprint kings quite so soon? Have we not learned anything from the last 20 years? Little more than a year ago, one leading athletics writer was pointing out that the credibility of 100m sprinting was "gossamer thin".

Now, notwithstanding the fact that five Jamaican athletes were caught up in a drugs controversy days before the World Championships, we are supposed to believe we are witnessing a golden age in the event.

I'm not sure. When I heard the commentators on 5Live squealing that what Bolt had done was "absolutely beyond belief", I wondered if they realised what they had just said.

DarkYoung
19-08-2009, 07:20 PM
well i think he is a living legend.

he's an excellent role model for children across the world.

C.O.Prodigy
19-08-2009, 09:47 PM
well i think he is a living legend.

+1

SlavikSvensk
19-08-2009, 11:46 PM
if he's not juicing, then yes, he's a legend.

if he is, then he's just another cheater.

C.O.Prodigy
20-08-2009, 01:05 AM
if he's not juicing, then yes, he's a legend.

if he is, then he's just another cheater.

What does this sound so bitter? sour grapes are in the air - I feel

If it's bitter, then they are sour grapes.
If it's not, then I'm totally of the mark.

C.O.Prodigy
20-08-2009, 01:39 AM
What does this sound so bitter?

Why does it sound bitter, not what... typo... sorry .. it's Why.

SlavikSvensk
20-08-2009, 03:56 AM
i guess i'm just bitter about the doping culture and what it's done to sport. we live in an age when far more athletes are doping than are being caught for doping...FACT. yet, sheep that we are, we naively assume every time a new hero emerges that somehow, someway, this fella has done it all au natural. but let me give an example...

you follow baseball, right? if so, then you know then that it wasn't long ago all the baseball commentators were saying things like "barry bonds and all these juicers are ruining the sport. just makes what a-rod has accomplished without any drugs all the more impressive." no matter who made the news for juicing, at least there was still good ol' hard working a-rod!

then it's revealed a-rod was also on the juice.

worse for me were the revelations that two of the guys that finally brought a championship back to boston (manny ramirez and david ortiz) failed a drug test in 2003, which major league baseball then hushed up. for people from new england, winning that championship was unreal. something the region had waited 88 years for. tainted for ever. that was the final straw for me.

so guess i'd say i'm too cynical to believe the hype at the moment...

DarkYoung
20-08-2009, 08:46 AM
i'm really looking forward to his next race. i hope he can keep on breaking his record, and get to 9.4!!

what an achievement.

C.O.Prodigy
20-08-2009, 02:02 PM
i guess i'm just bitter about the doping culture and what it's done to sport. we live in an age when far more athletes are doping than are being caught for doping...FACT. yet, sheep that we are, we naively assume every time a new hero emerges that somehow, someway, this fella has done it all au natural. but let me give an example...

you follow baseball, right? if so, then you know then that it wasn't long ago all the baseball commentators were saying things like "barry bonds and all these juicers are ruining the sport. just makes what a-rod has accomplished without any drugs all the more impressive." no matter who made the news for juicing, at least there was still good ol' hard working a-rod!

then it's revealed a-rod was also on the juice.

worse for me were the revelations that two of the guys that finally brought a championship back to boston (manny ramirez and david ortiz) failed a drug test in 2003, which major league baseball then hushed up. for people from new england, winning that championship was unreal. something the region had waited 88 years for. tainted for ever. that was the final straw for me.

so guess i'd say i'm too cynical to believe the hype at the moment...

Fair enough mate.

And yup Baseball is in the dumps or was in the dumps for a long time. I started watching it again anyway, I guess that for what it's worth there are guys who just like to crush the ball and to steal the base and to talk baseball and to play baseball for themselves.
I totally understand about Boston, Kevin Youkilis can never replace Manny. Plus the dodgers are in first place and Manny again somehow plays for your home team, since now you are in LA.
I get where you are coming from and why you are so gutted. I started watching again cause I love baseball and cause of guys like Rafael Furcal and Ichiro Suzuki, Nelson Cruz, younger guys who seem to love the sport and the technique more then the muscle and the long ball. Again saying that Nelson Cruz was in the HR derby final but he is not a big guy. Baseball is bigger then juicing, and I only figured that out when I started playing baseball with some enthusiasts in my home town. When you start playing you start watching it differently also. Before I also couldn't stand to watch it, so yes I understand your cynicism. I talk to much....

Will
20-08-2009, 03:25 PM
The guy who came in second would have gotten the world record also. That's a bitch to run the race of your life only to get beaten like that and by a guy who let up at the end. Bolt is indeed the man. I just hope he isn't on the juice and hiding it.

He'd have just missed out on the world record.

Will
20-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Tyson Gay's obviously on crack if he thinks he can beat Bolt!

DarkYoung
20-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Tyson Gay's obviously on crack if he thinks he can beat Bolt!
defintely, shame, US sprinters used to be the best in the world, now they're pretty average at best.

SlavikSvensk
20-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Fair enough mate.

And yup Baseball is in the dumps or was in the dumps for a long time. I started watching it again anyway, I guess that for what it's worth there are guys who just like to crush the ball and to steal the base and to talk baseball and to play baseball for themselves.
I totally understand about Boston, Kevin Youkilis can never replace Manny. Plus the dodgers are in first place and Manny again somehow plays for your home team, since now you are in LA.
I get where you are coming from and why you are so gutted. I started watching again cause I love baseball and cause of guys like Rafael Furcal and Ichiro Suzuki, Nelson Cruz, younger guys who seem to love the sport and the technique more then the muscle and the long ball. Again saying that Nelson Cruz was in the HR derby final but he is not a big guy. Baseball is bigger then juicing, and I only figured that out when I started playing baseball with some enthusiasts in my home town. When you start playing you start watching it differently also. Before I also couldn't stand to watch it, so yes I understand your cynicism. I talk to much....

i agree with most of what you are saying. it IS bigger than the juicing. it's just such a shame that MLB and the players union deliberately put their heads in the sand on the juicing rumors and refused to do anything about it until forced to.

youk is pretty damned good, but yeah, manny is one of the best power hitters of his era. we looked like we were doing well without him, but then daisuke and a couple other pitchers got hurt, and jason bay got into a slump, so now we're struggling to get the wild card. but have a chance to get revenge on the yankees this weekend!

C.O.Prodigy
20-08-2009, 09:03 PM
it's just such a shame that MLB and the players union deliberately put their heads in the sand on the juicing rumors and refused to do anything about it until forced to.

100% Agreed.

youk is pretty damned good, but yeah, manny is one of the best power hitters of his era. we looked like we were doing well without him, but then daisuke and a couple other pitchers got hurt, and jason bay got into a slump, so now we're struggling to get the wild card. but have a chance to get revenge on the yankees this weekend!

Hope to catch some of action. Although I have been following the dodgers this season and they seem to be playing same great ball. It's pretty cool that you can catch some of their games over there since they are the best team in baseball this season.

ps.. - back on topic..

Usain Bolt wins the 200M event, breaks world record again. World record now stands at 19.19. Unbelievable, outrages, legend!

If he is juicing, time will show it. If he is not, I think that time will show that aswell. For now, he is the best by a long long way and we are all privileged to be a part of his magick.

Will
21-08-2009, 04:30 PM
If he could continue his current rate of improvement he could be running sub 9 seconds in a few years! Apparently if you put together the fastest ever sector times you'd get 100m in 9.35 seconds, I suppose Bolts height might count against him for acceleration, but helps with top speed.

278d7e64a374de26f==