PDA

View Full Version : Sonalksis Multilimit Multiband Mastering Limiter Plug-in

josephjobling
23-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Just doing a board trawl through the interweb and went on to the sonalksis web site for a butchers. they are doing the Multilimit Multiband Mastering Limiter Plug-in with 70% discount so it now only costs £85.00 - hmm not a bad price - think i'll be investing in this one.

rhythmtech
23-08-2009, 11:19 AM
not a bad price at all but its a very very specific processor. you need to know exactly what you're doing as it can destroy a mix if not used properly.

if i remember right it has quite a few presets as starting points.

but yeah, 85 = no brainer.

The_Laughing_Man
23-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah really, until you truly understand compression, then don`t even think about multiband.
You very very rarely need them, and my opinion, along with most engineers these days, is that multi band compression/limiting is only needed MOSTLY for rescue and surgery in a mix.

DannyBlack
23-08-2009, 04:50 PM
I started messing with multiband compression not so long ago. Did not like. Did not understand. So I quit it. I use compression now but only on a very minor scale.

loopdon
23-08-2009, 08:58 PM
I have heard this unit is especially 'coloured' in a way, which is something that makes it limited to special jobs. I think Steve is also right in what he is saying.

You might want to have a look here:

http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/

or maybe

http://www.ddmf.eu/

for some quality plugins that prolly wouldn't cost together what the Sonalksis MB Limiter costs. I am by no means saying Sonalksis is making bad products but they have always been on the pricier side of things.

josephjobling
25-08-2009, 06:06 PM
cheers - didn't know there was somuch to it - might do a bit more learning (and i have so much learning to do) before i think about buying it - think i'll get ohmforce with the money instead.

The_Laughing_Man
25-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Just learn straight compression really really well, it will prove to be far more useful

josephjobling
26-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Just learn straight compression really really well, it will prove to be far more useful
Cheers - i'm not too bad with compression (well i'm getting there anyways) the only thing i struggle with is compression on bass - just can't get mt head around how to improve my bass sounds with compression so i usually leave it - i have got to grips with drums and syntyhs though, and getting good results with high hats. Don't suppose any one knows of any good reading as far as comperssion on bass.

rhythmtech
26-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Cheers - i'm not too bad with compression (well i'm getting there anyways) the only thing i struggle with is compression on bass - just can't get mt head around how to improve my bass sounds with compression so i usually leave it - i have got to grips with drums and syntyhs though, and getting good results with high hats. Don't suppose any one knows of any good reading as far as comperssion on bass.

the idea with bass is because it should (along with the kick) anchor the track, you want it as level as possible. try looking for an optical style compressor (LA2A or similiar) ik multimedia have one in their t-racks singles range that would be perfect for bass

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/t-racks/interface/img/processor/big_3x/C-OptoCompressor.jpg

bass loves compression :yup:

josephjobling
26-08-2009, 08:12 PM
fair - level - so hard on the threshhold - would that be a good rule of thumb and flat (as in brick wall) ratio...... am i in the right ball park (i use sonalksis 315mk2 - and audio damage rough rider will i need to buy the one above) cheers for the advice RT.

rhythmtech
26-08-2009, 09:10 PM
not necciserily hard on the threshold. the threshold is input dependant. meaning if you have a strong signal going into the comp then you may not need a low tresh. it also depends on the dynamics of the original signal.

the ratio is also dependant. if you have a dynamic signal you'll need a high ratio to level it out.

thats why i suggest an opto LA2A style comp. i use the UAD la2a

http://www.gcpro.com/images/IMG_ua_la2a.jpg

its dead simple. just raise the peak reduction until your signal is at the desired "flatness2 and then crank the output. uad also model the output distortion.. which is nice :smile:

The_Laughing_Man
26-08-2009, 09:25 PM
There is no real consisten rule to bass compression.

Bass has a lot of energy,particularly at high volumes where its behaviour changes radically.
I deally you want to control that energy to a certain extent to stop any massive volume jumps.

So as RT said, you want to control the levels with compression.

The best way to judge it is to look at your output on the compression meter. You want to reduce the amount of movement on your output.

How much you crush the dynamics is all down to how much detail you want in your bass and how important the bass is in the mix. Ie for dubstep bass is the lead instrument, so you want to retain some dynamic and detail.

Sonalksis Stereo compressor is fantastic as you have the mode selector which allows opto and electro operation and has some lovely controls such as the transient squasher.

Rough Rider is too harsh and spikey for bass in my opinion.

If you are looking for free plugs, try Endorphin.

josephjobling
26-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Cheers - money is a bit tight at the mo so Free plugin are always good so i will try endorphin out cheers although the metered one looks good - i need to read more - i have been using the 315 for about a year and never knew it had the optiones you said above - will look again.
Cheers for the help with bass compresion i will put it to the experiment and test some basses. Not a big fan of dub step (one wobble bass is the same as another - with the exeption of casper he does some nice stuff) but i do like to wobble from time to time so will concider that when compressing -
Cheers Gents.

The_Laughing_Man
27-08-2009, 12:20 AM
Not all dubstep has the cliche wobble, there is some highly creative stuff out there.

YEah man, if you have the sonalksis compressor it really is all you need.
It is exceedningly versatile and can be gnarly or very smooth

josephjobling
27-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Not all dubstep has the cliche wobble, there is some highly creative stuff out there.

Point me in the direction of the non wobble stuff - as i say i've heard of Casper and i like some of the stuff he does - who else should i check out.

The_Laughing_Man
27-08-2009, 04:53 PM
There is as much variety in dubstep as there is in techno.
Like any genre if you only see the surface you see the shit cos it floats.
People who don`t know techno might assume it`s all shite like pedro delgardo and such because it is commercial and more present.

Dubstep covers all sorts of sub styles so you just have to investigate.

I like
Mount Kimbie
Martin Kemp
Short Stuff
Data
Indigo
Blue Daisy Looks good at the mo
Burial
Synkro
Martyn

the list can go on, there is so much variety and good stuff.

josephjobling
27-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Cheers LM i will check them out - yea know what your saying about shit floating unfortunatly the only time i get to here dub step is in a local club and the DJ is shit its just one wobble bass after another.

278d7e64a374de26f==