PDA

View Full Version : digital setup

doc12inch
19-09-2009, 08:47 AM
hello all

been a while since ive been on here so i thought id have a look through and ask a bit of advise

im looking at going full digital and getting rid of my decks n mixer and cdjs

im after some info on what I can buy

im looking at a macbook and a decent mixer or midi controller to put it through

ideally i would like to have 1 cdj left (I have 800 mk2s) and a mixer and feed a midi contoller through it

any ideas on what specs on a mac book i would need and any other equip i might need?

thanks

DannyBlack
07-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Personally I'm not sure mate, so I will bump the topic to see if anyone here can give you advice. Sorry for the delay but I didn't see the topic until now.

aNaLpLeAsEr
07-11-2009, 11:50 AM
hello all

been a while since ive been on here so i thought id have a look through and ask a bit of advise

im looking at going full digital and getting rid of my decks n mixer and cdjs

im after some info on what I can buy

im looking at a macbook and a decent mixer or midi controller to put it through

ideally i would like to have 1 cdj left (I have 800 mk2s) and a mixer and feed a midi contoller through it

any ideas on what specs on a mac book i would need and any other equip i might need?

thanks

What software you plan to run?

DannyBlack
07-11-2009, 12:29 PM
From a digital perspective what can you run? I suppose you could use Tracktor, but you'd need the... feck whats it called. Is it the Allen and Heath mixer with the jog wheels?

aNaLpLeAsEr
07-11-2009, 12:34 PM
you really don't need a jog wheel.

you can assign keys on your computer keyboard. it works just as well.

DannyBlack
07-11-2009, 12:35 PM
hmmmm... So as long as you have the tracks warped and in sync you could just trigger them from your keyboard. Cool.

aNaLpLeAsEr
07-11-2009, 12:39 PM
hmmmm... So as long as you have the tracks warped and in sync you could just trigger them from your keyboard. Cool.

yeah basically......a lot of people get hung up on emulating vinyl...etc....but whats the point of emulating something when you can just use the real thing? Digital offers new ways to explore so why not look at it from that perspective.

aNaLpLeAsEr
07-11-2009, 12:40 PM
my mate uses traktor and manually syncs. we assigned the arrow keys for pitch slider and pitch bend. They work a treat. Easier than 1210's

DannyBlack
07-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Thats handy to know, my housemate is thinking of getting it- we have 3 decks in the house any way, but this may well come in handy too. Is there any way to connect up with ableton? There's probably nil point mind.

aNaLpLeAsEr
07-11-2009, 12:48 PM
probably....but will depend on the soundcard. if you have the outputs then you could route them all to a mixer. the other issue will be sync/beat keeping. I don't know if you can slave one program to the other as I don't use either. Ableton might have a MIDI beat clock. You could always just do it the old fashion way and manually sync.

DannyBlack
07-11-2009, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't mind giving it a stab for shits and giggles. I can just about use Ableton, we pitted it against vinyl tyhe other night, trying to mix vinyl with ableton. Good fun, but failed on so many levels.

aNaLpLeAsEr
07-11-2009, 01:18 PM
There is a device that can be plugged onto an output of your mixer and it will work out the BPM of what your playing and create a MIDI beat clock which you could then lock Ableton to.

DannyBlack
07-11-2009, 01:21 PM
That sounds interesting, Would you have a link for that?

aNaLpLeAsEr
07-11-2009, 01:27 PM
http://www.redsound.com/products/soundbitemicro

force
07-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Ableton and tracktor can be synced master/slave.

I saw Speedy j use this combination at Hidden in Vauxhaul last year.
He was also using the Allen and Heath mixer/controller.

Looked great fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRfndvlWSRM

doc12inch
09-12-2009, 01:32 PM
just for anyones interest I brought a xone 4d. its reeeet nice, does all the stuff I want it too and also got traktor

I love it, its re kindled my love for djing, traktor and the mixer really verstile, just got to get a macbook now and some decent monitors haha

money money money - I need some

epidemic001
30-12-2009, 06:11 PM
I now use:
traktor 3
akai mpd32 midi controller
Audio 8 DJ external soundcard

I was using traktor scratch to try to keep with the vinyl control but as I think somebody has already pointed out there's not really any point in trying to emulate vinyl/cd when a full digital setup is more straight forward.

278d7e64a374de26f==