PDA

View Full Version : producing with ableton.... where to start?

Jay Pace
21-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Fed up of cubase glitching and crashing on me....

I do lots of audio recording using external modules, lots of midi programming and use reason as a plugin. I do very little loop work. Am hoping abelton can do all this...

Am very comfortable with cubase but want to move on.
Ableton has more potential as a tool it seems.

Anyone point me in the direction of where to start?

The_Laughing_Man
21-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Ableton website has loads of video tutorials.
Ableton itself has good tutorials in it`s own library, and then you have the ableton forums, which are really really helpful.

Recording and bouncing in ableton is a doddle, and the rewire coding for reason is supposed to be very good.

Midi programming is easy, midi automation is highly pleasurable.

Learn the shortcuts and it works extremely efficiently.

josephjobling
21-09-2009, 10:36 PM
i heart ableton - i too use cubase but since getting ableton i hardly use it - haven't in about 7 months.

geigercounter120
23-09-2009, 12:10 PM
i love ableton and use it more often than cubase.

though for me, cubase (sx3) has always been more stable/less glitchy than live (7)... not sure why though

pd2h
01-10-2009, 10:52 AM
To back up what the laughing man has said one of my favorite things to do in ableton is recording to audio, weather it be from another audio of from a midi loop I have created and then just tweaking the **** out of it as you record listening to the result chopping that up and going again... so much fun!!
Midi also seems real easy to play with edit and don't forget to try clicking on an audio loop and slice to midi great for glitching effects!!

blueeye
07-10-2009, 09:01 PM
hi
i use ableton now 3 years i think and i love it
if you got questions dont henistate to ask
i will try to help you

BloodStar
09-10-2009, 01:52 PM
what i really love about ableton live, you can set your own workflow and use it. same result can be achieved using differnt approaches, which is what hooks you since first use :]. many friends of mine using ableton, but everyone use it bit differently. for me, this was good refresment after being 5 years on rigid L to R workflow in cubase.

tekara
12-10-2009, 06:56 AM
I'm in the exact same situation as you.

Although for me, I have tried several times to make this transition, but I always end up going back to Cubase because of comfort. Maybe it's because i've used it for 7 years now and cannot get used to a new layout.

Ableton is amazing for loop manipulation. It can do things to loops that Cubase can never dream of. But for me, in terms of workflow, and midi design, I think Cubase takes this easily. Theres something about Cubase that makes sense for me. I can't wrap my head around the Ableton layout. I find it difficult to use, but I know people that swear by it's workflow.

The Ableton midi programming is still not as superior as Cubase IMO. But one good thing i've noticed about Ableton is that its midi clock is much more accurate than Cubase's. I've found myself pulling out my hair why my 909 keeps drifting out of sync on Cubase, but it locks on perfectly when synced to Ableton.

There's tradeoffs to both applications. I have been trying to make this transition to Ableton myself, but I can't stop going back to Cubase. In hindsight, if I had to start again, I would defintely go Ableton, but for me, its simply now too late.

If you want to get the best of both worlds, I guess you can always sequence in cubase and rewire Ableton for other purposes, but i've noticed this can be quite buggy.

I'm also a bit torn as well.

LEE.S.I
18-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Ive switch to Ableton Live from cubase,ive got a full cd with tutorials on if you want a copy dude :)

278d7e64a374de26f==