PDA

View Full Version : reverb plugins

BloodStar
29-09-2009, 03:09 PM
pretty impressed about quality of reverbs which coming out these days. back in the days, it was pain in the arse to find quality reverb plugins, but today there is several VSTs with very very good quality.
lately, been using mainly bootsy EpicVerb and also D16 Toraverb. which ones are your favourites?

josephjobling
29-09-2009, 11:06 PM
i use glaceverb and sonnox - what is the d16 verb like wanted to check it out.

BloodStar
30-09-2009, 02:18 PM
d16 toraverb seems to be pretty versatile,. very usable for both early or late reverbs,. easy to tweek and good sounding,. you can also set the Quality settings from Low to Veryhigh depends on your CPU power,. thats good you can work all the time with low settings and then just switch to Very high before rendering.. deffo give it a try, you wont be dissapointed. :]

Electrictribe
30-09-2009, 03:19 PM
toraverb does seem nice but is a killer on cpu like most d16 plugs are on my mac. Really like Acoustics Reverb and use that pretty much exclusively.

Crisp
30-09-2009, 03:32 PM
im using psp easyverb and waves rverb. from freeware stuff i also like to use reverb from luxonix lfx1310

BloodStar can you upload this bootsy EpicVerb with presets pack for me? unfortunately both links on official site doesn't work.

BloodStar
30-09-2009, 07:57 PM
here ya go, man,.

http://rapidshare.com/files/287029180/Bootsy.rar.html

Crisp
30-09-2009, 08:33 PM
http://www.a-x.pl/layout/gallery/94e49930d26dc43dc6cfea2708f1bd4ctank-you-d.jpg

The_Laughing_Man
01-10-2009, 01:06 AM
love bootsy stuff, problem is it`s SM stuff and takes FOREVER to load up.
I have the commercial version of ambience, which is very nice.
I tend to use a lot of impulse response reverb myself.

BloodStar
01-10-2009, 10:56 AM
hmm, dont have any problem with loading on live 7. one weak thing is, no matter if you send panned signal into it, wet output is always centered. it cant do true stereo, but i can live with it considering the price :)

what SM problem do you mean, steve?

The_Laughing_Man
01-10-2009, 03:26 PM
SM plugs take a while to load up

If I try to load a bootsy plu in live 8 it takes aaaaages

Breverb is also very good btw

Jay Pace
01-10-2009, 09:33 PM
I really acustic nebula

Plus its free

winner

http://www.acusticaudio.net/modules.php?name=Products&file=nebula3free

The_Laughing_Man
02-10-2009, 12:19 AM
nebula is great, but a system hog.

Nebula 3 is supposed to be outstanding, but again, a system hog, it`s early days though, they`ll get it sorted, although it`s really far to good a plugin to devote to reverbs.
It`s all about open, natural compression and amp stage simulation with that thing.

rhythmtech
02-10-2009, 10:09 AM
nebula is great, but a system hog.

Nebula 3 is supposed to be outstanding, but again, a system hog, it`s early days though, they`ll get it sorted, although it`s really far to good a plugin to devote to reverbs.
It`s all about open, natural compression and amp stage simulation with that thing.

nebula 3 pro is very useable. they've lowereed the cpu usage right down. the reverbs are stunning but you do need to add a touch of modulation after them to get that little hint of realism.

compression wise they arent quite there yet. they admitted this themselves but they are working on it.

i think where it really stands out is eq, tape and amp/console input stages.

The_Laughing_Man
02-10-2009, 12:24 PM
I wasn`t convinced with the tape stages on 2,and the soundonsound review says the tape emulation on 3 is pretty bad as well,good for warming up a signal,but nothing like any of the tape machines it is supposed to emulate.
Tape is so hard to get, it`s so random, and the compression is just different to anything else.
It`s why I bought a reel to reel. Nothing could get it right.

Some of the compression on 2 was pretty realistic I thought. Nothing on my Shadow Hills, but still very good.

herman
02-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Some of the compression on 2 was pretty realistic I thought. Nothing on my Shadow Hills, but still very good.

Jesus a Shadow Hills!! and you said I had spent a lot of cash on Mastering gear :)

BloodStar
02-10-2009, 02:02 PM
SM plugs take a while to load up

argh, i see you mean SynthMaker plugins. i was thinking you§re talking about Side-Mid , hahah..

The_Laughing_Man
02-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Jesus a Shadow Hills!! and you said I had spent a lot of cash on Mastering gear :)

Trade exchange. Swapped it for an MTR 90 MK II

herman
03-10-2009, 12:59 AM
Trade exchange. Swapped it for an MTR 90 MK II

You made out like a bandit there mate an Otari for a Shadow Hills is a sweet deal and a half.

On topic for a grainy reverb I like the stock Ableton one a lot for something a bit nicer UAD Plate 140

The_Laughing_Man
03-10-2009, 12:12 PM
here we go, this puppy is really good

http://www.overloud.com/en/products/index.php?catid=8
http://www.overloud.com/media/common/20080116-breverb-product.jpg

rhythmtech
03-10-2009, 12:41 PM
I wasn`t convinced with the tape stages on 2,and the soundonsound review says the tape emulation on 3 is pretty bad as well,good for warming up a signal,but nothing like any of the tape machines it is supposed to emulate.
Tape is so hard to get, it`s so random, and the compression is just different to anything else.
It`s why I bought a reel to reel. Nothing could get it right.

SOS didnt review the pro version yet. its a total engine re-write, you should have a look at it.

anyway, comparing their A80 to the reel (:lol:) thing is pretty close. it has that depth and warmth - i still prefer to use fatso though.

i dont know what compressor model you tried but theres not 1 that i liked. some of the trident consoles are stunning and the API console path is just beautiful.

The_Laughing_Man
03-10-2009, 12:54 PM
SOS didnt review the pro version yet. its a total engine re-write, you should have a look at it.

anyway, comparing their A80 to the reel (:lol:) thing is pretty close. it has that depth and warmth - i still prefer to use fatso though.

i dont know what compressor model you tried but theres not 1 that i liked. some of the trident consoles are stunning and the API console path is just beautiful.

tape isn`t just about saturation though, it`s about the compression that comes with it.
All tape emulations do is add an eq curve for tone and then saturation.
Volta Kernals can`t do the randomness, you`d need to plug your sampling device in permanently to the tape machine.

rhythmtech
03-10-2009, 02:08 PM
tape isn`t just about saturation though, it`s about the compression that comes with it.
All tape emulations do is add an eq curve for tone and then saturation.
Volta Kernals can`t do the randomness, you`d need to plug your sampling device in permanently to the tape machine.

no you cant get the randomness but you can program randomness over a period of time. and i agree that theres a lot more to the tape sound than just the warmth but with all things ITB there has to be a little comprimise and a bit of working around the problem to achieve similiar results..

having said that i wouldnt dream of replacing a tape machine with nebula but as a 2nd best its pretty sweet.

you should definitly try the nat4 pro upgrade with the new engine. if you own version 3 then its only 20euro to update it.

The_Laughing_Man
03-10-2009, 02:46 PM
I`ve been searching for a good tape emulation for ages.
Talk on gearslut says that one day Nebula might get it right (Version 4????) but that no one has captured the compression artefact of tape.
I`d dearly love to be able to stop using tape, it`s heavy, time consuming (half an hour a day to clean and calibrate the machine) expensive to maintain (and tape isn`t cheap), slow to implement, and of course you then have noise removal to do, but it sounds soooo nice.

I think the best thing going is the McDSP AC-2. I`ve heard pretty good results on it.
Still not right though.

One day, it will be sorted. There is something nice about tinkering with the inside of tape machines though. It`s like working on a car, very satisfying.

I`ve been toying with the idea of going into business doing tape machine renovation as you can pick up less than healthy machines for good money.
If you get them up to spec you can make like £1500 to £2000 profit if you buy right.

rhythmtech
03-10-2009, 09:03 PM
AC2 is quite nice and it does add the compression. also being able to control the bias and low end bump is quite nice. only problem is that its PT only, which is fine but not everyone likes PT (dunno why though!)

The_Laughing_Man
07-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Been using Breverb quite a bit, and it really is very good.
Also IK Multimedia Classic Studio Reverb. COmmonly used by professionals, very very good.

blueeye
07-10-2009, 06:16 PM
the free one ambience is very nice

rhythmtech
07-10-2009, 06:26 PM
my go to reverbs these days

UAD plate 140 & UAD EMT 250

josephjobling
08-10-2009, 06:38 PM
AC2 is quite nice and it does add the compression. also being able to control the bias and low end bump is quite nice. only problem is that its PT only, which is fine but not everyone likes PT (dunno why though!)

ha ha ha rt you're turning into one of those .......nothing else exits exept pro tools ha ha ha just pulling yer leg :)

rhythmtech
08-10-2009, 06:42 PM
ha ha ha rt you're turning into one of those .......nothing else exits exept pro tools ha ha ha just pulling yer leg :)

thats quite alright.. you're kinda right :lol:

i just couldnt go back to anything else for doing my mixes now.

writing is a differant story though. protools is horrible for midi, even with the upgrade to 8! i still write in cubase.

BloodStar
09-10-2009, 02:25 PM
just got an idea of preparing kind of reverb blind test for you.

will prepare 3 type of sounds and then apply different type of reverb on each (early, room, hall),. indeed there will be several brands involved, so i will mimic the settings from brand to brand..

let see what each of you will like without know what brand it is. :-]

BloodStar
09-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Will test following 10 reverb units: (let me know other i should use)

112db Redline Reverb
Bootsy epic verb
Breverb
D16 Toraverb
IK classic Reverb
Smart Electronix Ambience
Sonic Flavours R66
Sonnox Oxford Reverb
Voxengo Pristine Space
Wizzo W2

josephjobling
10-10-2009, 11:22 AM
sounds like a plan - my money is on the sonnox :)

rhythmtech
10-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Will test following 10 reverb units: (let me know other i should use)

112db Redline Reverb
Bootsy epic verb
Breverb
D16 Toraverb
IK classic Reverb
Smart Electronix Ambience
Sonic Flavours R66
Sonnox Oxford Reverb
Voxengo Pristine Space
Wizzo W2

my money is on breverb. shame you cant put 2c aether in there as it will blow them all out of the water.

or the new lexicon plugin verb... but thats $1500 and has the pcm96 algorithms.

The_Laughing_Man
10-10-2009, 06:22 PM
IR verbs are the best I suppose, depending on your needs, you just need to get good impulse responses.
Breverb is good, but it`s a little silly comparing it to some of the others as they serve different purposes.
No different to hardware, different plugs have different characters applicable to different needs.

278d7e64a374de26f==